• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Did they not learn with WiiU? WiiU in 3 years hasn't even hit 12m, so unless they believe they have a gamechanger (and I mean they're biased, why wouldn't they) I don't see how we'll see a different outcome.
I would assume they are confident in the selling potential of the NX or they wouldn't even be manufacturing it. Whether their estimates and predications end up connecting with consumer demand is too difficult to say, as with any product. But their recent success with the Amiibo line and Wii U software tells me they're more focused on what the NX should be.

Tregard

Soothsayer
On the subject of that glorious render; I hope Nintendo return to the Game Boy brand with this upcoming handheld.

NX is a good name, The NX Home and The NX Boy or something like that. I daren't say NX Entertainment System.

jax

Banned
So yea 2016 for NX

Tho some people still think it wont come out next year lol
People also think it's only one console and no handheld.

And that third party will ignore it even if it has similar specs to the PS4.

Nintendoomed rhetoric, it's been going on for decades.

New console to be called Morpheus

Handheld unit to be called Neo

We solved it, we solved your riddle, Nintendo

Oh my god...

The new Nintendo console already exists in our dimension as the Xbox One.

Nintendo, stop! You'll destroy the space time continuum if you keep these interdimensional shenanigans up!

Booooooooooo!

jmizzal

Ōkami;187285923 said:
I wouldn't expect a reveal of the system until after Star Fox Zero comes out, or Pokken releases overseas.

They'll want to sell as many titles as possible and announcing a new system could kill the sales potential of their H1 games.

Did Sony wait until The Last of Us was out until they announced the PS4? No I dont think so

People who want Star Fox are gonna buy it anyways, its not a system seller, people who own WiiUs are gonna still want to play games until NX is out

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Digitimes is good for getting a general idea of when suppliers are receiving orders or the like, but are pretty terrible on providing volume estimates.

finalflame

3sUFvnn.jpg

And I'm ok with it.

KingJ2002

Intersting... i think it's possible to ship that many units if the system has a worldwide launch in September... that way you can take advantage of the day 1 buyers and the holiday season.

as far as what the console will be.

Not sure. All we know is:

1. Shared OS between devices (assumption is handheld & home console)
2. Utilizes Sharp freeform display technology
3. Power rivals current gen systems
4. Patents have been filed for flash based technology.
5. Nintendo Network has seen steady upgrades to compete with PSN / Xbox Live
6. Third Party Developers have hinted that they have the SDK's
7. Analysts have hinted that the console will support AR / VR technology

With all this it looks as if Nintendo may get the NX right... but we all know that even with the right ingredients the end result could be terrible.

here's hoping thats not the case.

Kindekuma

Banned
Nintendo better be ready to market the hell out of this thing if they want to get those sales numbers. Seriously, the Wii U marketing was pretty terrible at getting the point across that it was a new console and not some add on to the Wii.

If true I wonder what the handheld and console split is, a 3 million for console and 9 million for handheld sounds about right, maybe 2 and 10.

Edit: seems a lot of people in this thread don't know NX is a platform and not a single system.

Batshit crazy Nintendo is best Nintendo?

March - NX event showing hardware and specs and a few trailers for launch titles

E3 - Price is confirmed along with release dates, full trailers shown for launch titles, remasteres (likely smash GOTY edition), etc. It'll be a regular press conference for the first time since 2012.

Third Friday of November 2016 - NX console launches in the west and the handheld in Japan.
They won't show specs, ever.

jmizzal

A $150 handheld and $250 console (and maybe a $350 bundle of those two) should be able to do those millions.

That would be a great idea, def hope the handheld can be used as a controller for touch controls, and maybe also have a way to use WiiU gamepad as a control option

Kathian

Banned
My guess/hope:

• Q2 Direct: Concept Reveal, Lose Hardware details
  • E3: Launch Games/plans revealed, Hardware Specs, details
  • Q3: Handheld Launch
  • Q4: Console Launch

I've been expecting a Q1 hardware reveal; E3 Game reveal followed by Q2/3 Hardware launch with the meatier software in Q3/4.

GulAtiCa

As an indie dev, I really want to find out more about the NX. Specifically devkit stuff. If I can somehow get a devkit before launch, that would be great.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nintendo better be ready to market the hell out of this thing if they want to get those sales numbers. Seriously, the Wii U marketing was pretty terrible at getting the point across that it was a new console and not some add on to the Wii.

Yep.

Luckily their advertising has improved by leaps and bounds since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp0d0UT8yDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0cW2aAytFU

And with the current president of NCL being someone who has gone on the record stating he knew the Wii U would flop, I would hope that the chance of them repeating some of the biggest mistakes of the past are slim.

I don't think they'll touch the Wii name again, for one.

Couleurs

New console to be called Morpheus

Handheld unit to be called Neo

We solved it, we solved your riddle, Nintendo

Simultaneously acknowledging their history while showing how out of touch they are with the Internet, Nintendo announces they are switching back to the old red logo and unveils their new handheld, the Red Pill. After discussing the passion of Minoru Arakawa and how he influenced Nintendo, Reggie announces that Nintendo is going to bring out the MrA in all gamers

Hopefully, the have a good first year lined up for the NX. They've already bungled two launches already. I don't think it behooves them to screw up a third.

Droughts and unpolished filler titles (Animal Crossing and Mario Tennis) aren't going to help the NX sell better than the Wii U.

Huddy

It's all about launch titles, if Nintendo could have Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Dragon Quest and Xenoblade for launch I'd bite.

I have other systems for mainstream 3rd party titles, but it would be a bonus if Nintendo could get them back.

4Tran

Intersting... i think it's possible to ship that many units if the system has a worldwide launch in September... that way you can take advantage of the day 1 buyers and the holiday season.

as far as what the console will be.

Not sure. All we know is:

1. Shared OS between devices (assumption is handheld & home console)
2. Utilizes Sharp freeform display technology
3. Power rivals current gen systems
4. Patents have been filed for flash based technology.
5. Nintendo Network has seen steady upgrades to compete with PSN / Xbox Live
6. Third Party Developers have hinted that they have the SDK's

7. Analysts have hinted that the console will support AR / VR technology

With all this it looks as if Nintendo may get the NX right... but we all know that even with the right ingredients the end result could be terrible.

here's hoping thats not the case.
I highlighted the only points that necessarily pertain to the NX platforms. The rest is speculation that may not apply to any Nintendo product for the foreseeable future. We also know that Nintendo will need both a new handheld and a new home console, so it's fair to assume that NX can refer to both devices.

So far, the numbers bandied about aren't surprising, but they're not particularly meaningful either. NX could still either be pretty appealing products, or they can complete trash. We won't know for sure until we find out what Nintendo actually plans. My bet is on trash for the time being though.

wheeplash

As an indie dev, I really want to find out more about the NX. Specifically devkit stuff. If I can somehow get a devkit before launch, that would be great.
Seriously, if Nintendo ignores you guys they are out of their fucking mind. Indies are the present and future.

Banned
It's all about launch titles, if Nintendo could have Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Dragon Quest and Xenoblade for launch I'd bite.

I have other systems for mainstream 3rd party titles, but it would be a bonus if Nintendo could get them back.
Consoles are long term investments why would you want five games to release all at once? Are you rich?

Mario and Zelda will be there at launch with DQ. The the other two are likely to be released eventually.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Macronix is involved, that could tell us a great deal about platform type... They do the Nintendo handheld game media. If this hybrid has game cards for both handheld and home console then I have no idea how XCX-sized games are going to play out. Lot of manufacturing cost to eat.

Black & White came out 5 months before the 3DS. (September 2010 launch for BW, February 2011 launch for 3DS)

Black 2 & White 2 came on the DS because Black & White was on the 3DS and it wasn't the time for a generational shift.

You're right about the first part, but you made a mistake yourself when trying to correct me for the second part. I know you meant DS.

GulAtiCa

Seriously, if Nintendo ignores you guys they are out of their fucking mind. Indies are the present and future.

Seriously. Now I'm a very small indie, so I don't really expect to get in on the 1st shipments of dev kits, but they need to get the devkits out to bigger indies soon for sure!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Consoles are long term investments why would you want five games to release all at once? Are you rich?

Mario and Zelda will be there at launch with DQ. The the other two are likely to be released eventually.

To have a broader library that appeals to more people so it sells more right from the start.

Only the hardcore fans are interested in all those listed, so it's moot for most in terms of wanting to buy them all day one.

Just having more great launch games means there are more people who see an "OMG must buy the NX and play this game now!" out there than launching with just a couple big titles.

If they are able to launch hardware that at least matches the PS4 at a cheaper price then they've got a chance--- provided they bring their heavy hitters to the plate launch day. A 299$ NX with a true next gen spiritual successor to Mario 64 and Mario Kart 9 is going to be very compelling next fall.

Also depends whether or not they attach any gimmicks like the WiiPad or Kinect to the hardware. They need to avoid that.

Top Bottom