• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 - Early Impressions (PC Performance Issues)

It only checks/calls a server once per hardware configuration. How's that impacting the game after it launched? Answer: it does not.

Its a VM drm it cant run without creating overhead. Its predecessor securom fucked performance. Gta Vs VM drm also fucked performance and can be cracked away to reveal performance improvements. There is absolutely no evidence that denuvo does not cause issues.

Because it's transparent (even though it shouldn't be). Steam's unpacking process doesn't tell you that it's updating the data prior to unpacking, which is why the initial completion time is inordinately high and soon drops down to something more reasonable.

I'm a little confused by the suggestion here. So, are you saying that:

A) The patch was downloaded as part of the pre-load, and will be installed during the encryption process, or;

B) The patch is being downloaded and installed during the decryption process.

Seems odd that they'd lump the two together. (Maybe that's just me thinking about how consoles handle it though as two separate but sometimes simultaneous actions.)

Its a VM drm it cant run without creating overhead. Its predecessor securom fucked performance. Gta Vs VM drm also fucked performance and can be cracked away to reveal performance improvements. There is absolutely no evidence that denuvo does not cause issues.

Seems like an excuse for games with shitty performance that magically get fixed later. Prolly another rushed game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm a little confused by the suggestion here. So, are you saying that:

A) The patch was downloaded as part of the pre-load, and will be installed during the encryption process, or;

B) The patch is being downloaded and installed during the decryption process.

Seems odd that they'd lump the two together. (Maybe that's just me thinking about how consoles handle it though as two separate but sometimes simultaneous actions.)

Put simply, a publisher nominates a build as the pre-load build and Steam updates the difference upon unlock o'clock, and then unpacks the data.

Is someone going to make PC performance thread? Now that game can be unlocked with VPN one may be in order.

On it. It'll be live in ~10 minutes.

Tovarisc

On it. It'll be live in ~10 minutes.

Cool, will unlock game and report to official performance thread with impressions :)

All my friends got the DLC btw, from the single GMG key.

Started unlock process with VPN and DLC popped in for me too, cool cool.

Edit: Holy shit, still not used to how much unpack time goes up and down constantly. Hmm... something is off, time went into days...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So, to clarify.....it appears that the steam variant has the day 1 patch baked in to the retail build?

Raytow

Tried freedom, tunnel bear, flyvpn and vyprvn and steam still detects my country disabled 2FA but no dice, any ideas?

Tovarisc

WTF Steam? Cleared some space to SSD, hopefully helps.
IYsfLyY.jpg

murgo

Set everything to Ultra and did the tutorial. Definitely felt some framedrops even though I have G-Sync. Gotta try lowering something :(

Welp. The
tutorial
has my gtx 1080 dropping to ~50 fps at 4k. Changing from ultra to high has no effect. Changing to low brings it to 60 fps however occasionally dropping a few frames with gpu still near 100%.
Handles 1440p no sweat (so far)

Mifec

Welp. The
tutorial
has my gtx 1080 dropping to ~50 fps at 4k. Changing from ultra to high has no effect. Changing to low brings it to 60 fps however occasionally dropping a few frames with gpu still near 100%

Friend on a 6600k and 1080 doesn't fall under 75 in the tut, is mostly over 90. FXAA though.

Pooya

just license Unreal Engine 4. I actually think forcing idtech on their other studios, like tango or arkane now probably cost them more in staff training, support and such than a UE4 license would have been. They seem to be obsessed with sub par in house tech.

d00d3n

How does adaptive resolution work? I assume you set it to 100 to get the full resolution that you have selected all the time?

d00d3n

The game is locked to 60 hz for me btw (according to hz counter in my acer z35 display). There is no option to change that in the visual options. Maybe possible to change if you mess around in the nvidia control panel?

Works nicely in 21:9 resolutions though.

jacobeid

Banned
Another broken game. Missing SHOCKING NEWS in your title.

Devs really need to get it together. I'll buy this when it's patched and likely much cheaper despite my interest in it.

Drewfonse

How is the actual game? I hate this no reviews.

Lost in the OP, amidst the concern about the PC version's performance, are quite positive (very early) first jmpressions.

I'll be playing this on the Pro. Give me stable 30fps and I'll be happy. Everything else looks golden.

Corpekata

Banned
Corvo's voice being so similar to Daud's is throwing me off. Like they told someone "Could you be an even sleepier Micheal Madsen?"

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait, I didn't know D2 used Idtech.... God damn I consistently find that engine to give the ugliest visuals combined with shoddy performance.

They shoulda stuck with UE, it looked just as good and ran well in my case.

The worst aspect of idTech is the fucking awful sound mixing. It's absolute shit.

Lack of reviews may hurt the game in this case. Its a very positive impression here, would be surprised if she didnt give it a high score (high 8 or 9)

Also game looks huge if it took several hours to get through a single level, and that you have high replayability due to the 2 characters with different movesets

I see GMG has the game 20% off for PC

The game is going to sell quite well, regardless of the whole review fiasco. Dishonored 1 was a great game that sold millions of copies and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the sequel meets or even exceeds those numbers.

Didn't get my key from gmg yet and I emailed them this morning with no response yet. Never had a problem with them before. Did anyone else not get their key from them yet?

Dmax3901

Corvo's voice being so similar to Daud's is throwing me off. Like they told someone "Could you be an even sleepier Micheal Madsen?"

lol I thought the exact same thing.

Can you expand on this? So if you don't read the journal, you don't get updates? How are you interacting with the journal?

Thanks for the impressions!

So she wakes up on the ship that becomes your hub, her journal is in front of her and when you interact with it she sits down and starts writing, creating an entry in the menu screen. This then updated on its own as I left the ship on the first mission. I've no idea if it updates regardless of whether you sit at the desk or not.

jotun?

Is the range of FOV settings good? Some games give it as an option, but it's silly because the highest setting is still claustrophobic and the lower range is basically like playing through a telescope. Is Dishonored 2 like that, or can I play it like a Quake/Tribes pro?

I wonder if the game is built around refusing the supernatural powers, not even being able to use blink in particular will totally change the pacing.

No powers and no alert/kill playthrough that gave Thief vibes would be neat.

Dmax3901

I wonder if the game is built around refusing the supernatural powers, not even being able to use blink in particular will totally change the pacing.

No powers and no alert/kill playthrough that gave Thief vibes would be neat.

I'm not sure about built around but they would definitely have to consider those players this time. Just after you make that decision there's a cliff you have to blink up to, so I guess maybe the levels change slightly?

Well well, so this was the reason, no review copies.
This is never a good thing.

Looking at footage from the IGN review in progress the framerate seemed fine on PS4. Wouldn't be surprised if the issues were confined to the PC which wouldn't be reason to hold the game back from review- plenty of games have issued console code only in advance before.

Running it at 4K all Ultra with full resolution scale on a 1070. About 20-50fps, so will probably lower the resolution soon. Looks god damn amazing aside from the random dust specks on the "camera lens". Any way to get rid of those? Not sure what setting would change that and don't feel like going through them one by one.

Top Bottom