• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

mreddie

disney-infinity-3.0-characters1.jpg

Disney Infinity 3.0 is the second sequel to the Disney Infinity franchise. Similar to how Disney Infinity 2.0 focused on Marvel characters and playsets, 3.0 focuses on the Star Wars franchise.

Release Date: August 28, 2015 in Europe and on August 30, 2015 in North America.
Developers: Avalanche Software with additional help from Ninja Theory, Studio Gobo, Sumo Digital, and United Front Games.
Platforms: PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, iOS, PC and Apple TV.
Price: $64.96 for the Starter Pack, 114.96 for the Star Wars Saga Bundle Pack, 19.99 Introductory price/29.99 for the Console Toy Box Digital Download (you will need a compatible base from the past games).

What's in the Starter Pack?

di-star-wars-starter-pack-png

1 Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition Video Game (Unlocks Play Set and Toy Box Modes)
1 Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition Base
2 Star Wars Figures: Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skywalker
1 Star Wars Twilight of the Republic Play Set Piece
1 Web Code Card

What's in the Saga Pack?

Disney-Infinity-3.0-Star-Wars-Bundle-1024x626.jpg

1 Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition base, 1,Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition video game software
1 Star Wars Twilight of the Republic Play Set piece, 1 Ahsoka Tano figure, 1 Anakin Skywalker figure,
1 Star Wars Rise Against the Empire Play Set piece, 1 Luke Skywalker figure, 1 Princess Leia figure
1 Boba Fett figure
1 Web Code card (unlocks content for PC/mobile)

Play Sets

Disney Infinity 3.0 will have 6 different Play Sets in total this time.

Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic

Star Wars: Rise Against the Empire

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Coming late 2015)

ALL Star Wars characters can crossover to the other Star Wars sets via tokens a la 2.0 playsets but it's only 1 this time.

Other playsets this year include:

Inside Out

Marvel Battlegrounds Play Set

Play Sets from the original two games will unlock Toy Box items for use in 3.0 but you will not be able to play the campaigns from those sets in 3.0.

Power Discs

Power Discs are game pieces that you can place on your Infinity base that give you extra abilities, items, and customization options. This installment discs will no longer come in blind bags containing two. They will instead be sold in themed packs where the content is visible, and each one will contain four Power Discs. Each of these packages will contain four discs that share something in common, which is referred to in the name of the package itself. These packages will sell for an average retail price of $9.99 U.S

Toy Box

Toy Box is where you'll be able to make your own games within Disney Infinity 3.0. Toy Boxes in 3.0 are promised to be much bigger than those you were able to make in the original and new features like doors will allow you to combine up to 10 different toy boxes. Constructing Toy Boxes in 3.0 will also be easier as they are now introducing tools to help players build their toy boxes.

Toy Boxes can be shared across all platforms but more ambitious Toy Boxes made on PS4 and Xbox One will only be able to be shared between those two platforms.

In this game there's two new Toy Box Games, Toy Box Speedway and Toy Box Takeover. The former will be a racing game in the style of Mario Kart; the latter will be a dungeon crawler style game similar to Escape from the Kyln from 2.0. They are both sold separately from the game and from each other. Additionally, they will not be accessed with game discs as they were before, but by clear game pieces like those used for play sets.

New Features
Farming - A new feature in the game allows you to start a farm to grow food to boost the stats of your sidekicks, for example Olaf Costume, so they can help you more in Toy Box Games. You can grow anything from flowers to weeds to food plants. There are over 20 different types of food plants you can grow, including corn, tomatoes, cotton candy, Mickey Pop, and even grubs.

New Sidekicks - Unlike in Disney Infinity 2.0, many more Costumes can be used as sidekicks, including some that were used only as regular costumes in the first two games; in all, there are around (not quite exactly) ninety-three sidekicks in the game. Also, sidekicks in this game can do more than just fight, unlike those in Disney Infinity 2.0. They can be equipped with different gear that can be unlocked from various places in-game, including hats and weapons, which can change a sidekick's effectiveness and function.For example, equipping them with Thor's hammer Mjolnir tells the sidekick to fight, while equipping them with the Seven Dwarfs' pick ax tells them to build a village. (This may or may not mean that there will be no true Toy Box Builders in this game.)

Aerial Combos - The game introduces a new set of character attacks. By holding down the attack button, the player can uppercut an enemy into the air, which can be followed up with a set of attacks that can be performed while the enemies are still in the air, ending with the player sending the enemy flying off. There is also an aerial finisher attack that can be performed whilst the enemy is still in the air. These can be performed by any character with a lightsaber or any other short range weapon, and are done by holding down the attack button.

Redesigned Skill Trees - The game introduces a new design for characters' Skill Trees. In the previous game, skill trees showed all unlockable abilities on one page. In this game, abilities are separated into four separate pages, with each page including all abilities of a certain type. For example, the page for health-related abilities is separate from the page for ranged attack upgrades.

Course Charting - The game allows you to plot a course for some toys to follow. The player draws a path of dots on the ground, which all connect to each other. They can then program Cast Members, Enemies, Costumes, or Creativi-Toys to follow this path. This was designed to ease toy box building.

Toy Machine - The Toy Machine will be a new feature in the game. Every toy box world will begin with a Toy Machine, a red machine that resembles a gumball machine, in it. When a player stands on a button near the machine, it will generate a capsule containing a toy that the player has already unlocked. This was so that players can more fully appreciate the many toys they unlock instead of forgetting about them and never being able to play with them

New Characters

Star Wars: Chewbacca, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Maul, Leia Organa, Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Ahsoka Tano, Yoda, Ezra Bridger (Toys R Us exclusive), Sabine Wren (Target exclusive), Kanan Jarrus (Wal Mart exclusive), Zeb Orrelios (Gamestop exclusive), Boba Fett, Rey, Finn

Marvel: Ultron, Hulkbuster

Inside Out: Joy, Anger, Fear (exclusive to Amazon), Sadness, Disgust

Mulan: Mulan (Best Buy exclusive)

Frozen: Olaf

Mickey Mouse: Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse

TRON: Quorra, Sam Flynn

Zootopia: Judy Hopps, Nick Wilde

The Good Dinosaur: Spot

Peter Pan: Peter Pan

And there's still more on the way...

sdcc2015-550x550-01.png

Just a refresher to what's compatible:

Everyone got all that?

040dfbca250e5eca496afd2c4a179310.gif

jesu

Got the digital version and have been playing around in the Toy Box today, I can say the Toy Box builders from 2.0 are still in it.

Been thinking about what to buy, will probably want all the Star Wars sets eventually and Inside Out.Might wait for sales though.
And Sumo Digital are doing the racing add on so I'm hoping that will be good.

sethcheek

Got the digital version and have been playing around in the Toy Box today, I can say the Toy Box builders from 2.0 are still in it.

Been thinking about what to buy, will probably want all the Star Wars sets eventually and Inside Out.Might wait for sales though.
And Sumo Digital are doing the racing add on so I'm hoping that will be good.

How did you get a hold of the digital version? I have a base and figures.. just need the software. It's "Unavailable" on the Xbox One Game Store.

Big Brett

Never got into Infinity until now. Got myself the PS4 Saga bundle and I'm just so giddy. Opening all the stuff inside felt like Christmas, haha. Playing through the Star Wars story and I'm loving it honestly. The weight of the combat feels fantastic. It's a proper Star Wars game for sure. Excited to hang out in Toy Box Mode and see what it's all about!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man. I really liked Toy Story 3 the game, but I've never wanted to get caught up in the plastic toy nonsense.

Yet it seems if I ever want to play the sequel, I kind of have to. And this seems like a good starting place for it.

Neoxon

So its a campaign, its not a physical piece like the heroes figures, right?
Pretty much. You can use any figure compatible with the play set, as well as other Star Wars characters not native to that play set (provided that you have the Crossover Coin for that character).

weekev

Banned
Will get this for Christmas for my daughter with the Inside Out playset. Cant see the Star Wars stuff scratching that itch like Battlefront will though.

CuteSpaceGoblin

Neo Member
Thoroughly enjoying the Twilight/Republic playset on XB1 at the moment, with Rise/Empire pre-ordered.

Will be very interested to hear of anyone's experience with the Inside Out playset; reviews etc for this are very thin on the ground at the moment.

ascii42

Picked this up along with the Inside Out playset. Kind of tempted to get the remaining Inside Out characters at some point.

Neoxon

Just out of curiosity, did they change the Guardians voice actors in 3.0 to reflect the new show (Will Friedle as Star-Lord, Trevor Devall as Rocket, Vanessa Marshall as Gamora, & James Arnold Taylor as Yondu being the main 4 voice actor changes since 2.0)?

JohngPR

Just out of curiosity, did they change the Guardians voice actors in 3.0 to reflect the new show (Will Friedle as Star-Lord, Trevor Devall as Rocket, Vanessa Marshall as Gamora, & James Arnold Taylor as Yondu being the main 4 voice actor changes since 2.0)?

I don't think there's new Guardians of the Galaxy stuff in this is there? This is Star Wars thing only as far as I know.

graffix13

Got my Starter set earlier today. Spent hours in the toy box...haven't touched the campaign yet.

I can't tell from that image, but is there a text list somewhere of upcoming Star Wars figures releasing?

curb

Banned
I don't think there's new Guardians of the Galaxy stuff in this is there? This is Star Wars thing only as far as I know.

All th previous character are playable in the 3.0 Toy Box mode.

I doubt they re-recorded the action sounds and quips for previous characters.

Neoxon

All th previous character are playable in the 3.0 Toy Box mode.

I doubt they re-recorded the action sounds and quips for previous characters.
I was thinking that since the Marvel Battlegrounds play set is coming, they'd line up the characters with their current VAs.

curb

Banned
I was thinking that since the Marvel Battlegrounds play set is coming, they'd line up the characters with their current VAs.

I'm wondering how substantial Battlegrounds is going to be story-wise. I could see a bunch of characters not getting any real dialogue.

Ecto311

Trying to chat with xbox support. Is the digital version of this fuckin thing going up today or what? That coupled with the local dipshits not having anything for this game make it really frustrating to try and play while I have the time. How was this not all available at midnight?

ArrrrghX

Neo Member
Cross post from the review thread, but worth saying again here as I play more:

For those on the fence - I am absolutely blown away by the quality of this game and the sheer amount of things to do in the hub world alone.

The music is gorgeous, the graphics can be very nice in some places, and the gameplay is spot on. Space flight is tight, combat is fun, and Sumo did a great job with the racing as evident in the opening gameplay sequence.

I liked 1.0, begrudgingly played 2.0 despite the quality, and they've won me back with 3.0.

One thing I thought some people might be interested in is that Disney announced select Star Wars characters will receive light up variants with sabers that glow when placed on the portal, coming later this holiday. I'm not sure how this is achieved but it could just be the portal light being piped through the figure. Thought I'd mention it if people would rather wait for them.

Ecto311

Trying to chat with xbox support. Is the digital version of this fuckin thing going up today or what? That coupled with the local dipshits not having anything for this game make it really frustrating to try and play while I have the time. How was this not all available at midnight?

Just seen this on twitter:
Veive TwoFiftySeven ‏@Veive257 6h6 hours ago
xbox support says 90 minutes to 2.5 hours from *now* for Disney Infinity 3 @nitrohype @disaddict3264 @JohnVignocchi

chrislowe

Been playing it for a while now.

Im trying to like this game really hard, but so far it has given me nothing but frustration.

The bad controls, combined with choppy graphics and mostly bad camera makes this game feel unresponsive most of the times.
The textures in the graphics are nice, but the enviroment is pretty lowpoly and looks bland.

The music is superb most of the times :)

Then I thought I would try some of the community-levels, and was greeted with something like "You have not unlocked everything for this level yet", but it still let me play.
Then I was hit by invisible enemys.... ok!? couldnt they have used some standins models instead?
Or at least tell me what I do need to unlock to play the level?

Maybe Im missing something here... atleast my daughter likes to just run around as Rapunzel exploring the toy hub.

jrcbandit

Was going to go digital since I own 1.0, but I was going to hold off on any playsets until they are on sale. Do you think Black Friday will have playsets half off?

Picked up my stuff from Best Buy this morning.

gBOUAywl.jpg

Definitely plays better than 1 and 2.0. Ninja Theory has made big improvements to the combat. Only played Twilight of the Republic so far but I like it. I'm not a big Star Wars guy. Maybe now I'll watch the movies.

What's going on with the PC version, is it out and based on the next generation versions? Never played the franchise before and amazon doesn't seem to have a pack for windows. Not really sure how it works.

Neoxon

Picked up my stuff from Best Buy this morning.

gBOUAywl.jpg

Definitely plays better than 1 and 2.0. Ninja Theory has made big improvements to the combat. Only played Twilight of the Republic so far but I like it. I'm not a big Star Wars guy. Maybe now I'll watch the movies.
Twilight of the Republic is based on Clone Wars, A.K.A. the only good thing to come out of the Prequels (I'm counting both iterations of the Clone Wars). Just watching the Original Trilogy & Clone Wars will do.

Rootbeer

Banned
Subbed...

I got all the wave 1 figures and playsets EXCEPT for the Saga Bundle on PS4... my best buy didn't get enough to fulfill pre-orders so now I don't know what to do o_O

I can wait for them to fulfill it but they can't give me an ETA

I could order a new one on their site but it won't arrive till Weds...

hmm

What the fuck man

So I got this email from Amazon about my Toy Box Takeover that comes with the pre-order

Thank you for purchasing from Amazon.ca.
Your recent order entitles you to a promotional credit which we have added to your account. This credit can be applied to your next qualifying purchase.

Promotion details:

Additional information on this offer can be found here.

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for purchasing "Disney Infinity 3.0 Starter Pack." Your purchase has qualified you for the "Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Takeover."

How to redeem your Pre-Order Bonus (code already applied to account):
Step 1: Place "Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Takeover"(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YZ3V1EW/?tag=neogaf0e-20) in cart.
Step 2: Check out.

The promotional credit must be used by October 14, 2015. This offer is subject to Terms and Conditions.

Thanks again for shopping with us.

Except I can't find that product on Amazon.ca, and Amazon.com wants THIRTY DOLLARS to ship it.

Top Bottom