• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney just can't help itself. New Ariel cartoon.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Movie gets tons of criticism. No one wanted it. Box office flop.
Let's double down and change everyone's race now!

It's almost comical at this point. One day they say they are stopping all this nonsense then the next day...

This one going to be fun to watch sink to the bottom. Just make new characters Disney.

King Triton and Ursula

F31fS0iXgAAUv5O.jpg:large

It's not even the race-swaps, for me, Disney will do Disney, and your neighbors dog will keep dragging his ass on your grass... I'm just so fucking bored of the copy pasted black character designs. We have seen these characters before, many times.

Black people aren't all the same, you know?... I live in Brazil, a country filled with black people, and I can count on one hand the number of people I see with dreads on a monthly basis.

Also that beard. So derivative and BORING.

Go a bit more creative and wild with your black characters, fucking hell.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's not even the race-swaps, for me, Disney will do Disney, and your neighbors dog will keep dragging his ass on your grass... I'm just so fucking bored of the copy pasted black character designs. We have seen these characters before, many times.

Black people aren't all the same, you know?... I live in Brazil, a country filled with black people, and I can count on one hand the number of people I see with dreads on a monthly basis.

Also that beard. So derivative and BORING.

Go a bit more creative and wild with your black characters, fucking hell.

But the regal vaguely-Egyptian staff wielding shaman types in the gold armor deserve mention, too. Hell, doesn't every zip code have it's own Witch doctor gated community?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So I use to be in the camp of " who cares? If it means more little black and brown mermaids running around at Halloween the better!"

But that's not what happened. It's just degrading over all ... you have Ariel then you have " Black Ariel " 😵‍💫 it's the total opposite of any good they were trying to achieve. Moana isn't " Black Moana ", Maribel isn't " Cuban Maribel " it teaches nothing about culture unlike the other two. It teaches nothing about being proud to be of that culture like the other two. It was basically " okay now you're black and you have a fat sister .... and action! "

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's cool to advocate for diversity, but this is how I see it.

You create new characters, new stories: cool, fantastic.

You change the skin color of existing characters: cool way of looking like a creatively bankrupt company. Also, if I were black, I would think this company is throwing a bone at me. I'd be pissed, probably.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Don't they have a contract with Hollywood, where the projects they have in must include this woke situation during certain years?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ultimately if these moves are profitable for Disney, they will pursue them. This should only be surprising to you if you thought Disney of the past was trying to appeal to you as a matter of principle, and not because it made them lots of money.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ultimately if these moves are profitable for Disney, they will pursue them. This should only be surprising to you if you thought Disney of the past was trying to appeal to you as a matter of principle, and not because it made them lots of money.
The live action little mermaid was not profitable at all. It barely broke even. It caused a lot of backlash for the company. To double down on that really makes no financial sense.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The live action little mermaid was not profitable at all. It barely broke even. It caused a lot of backlash for the company. To double down on that really makes no financial sense.

Repeat repeat repeat etc

In a decade from now it's a non issue.

pepsi GIF

I know people here have multiple reasons to dislike the movie, but it made a 9m profit at 569m worldwide.

Now if you want to say this is a very small profit, fair. If you want to say it performed worse relative to other live action works like Aladdin, fair. But it didn't flop 🤷‍♂️

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I know people here have multiple reasons to dislike the movie, but it made a 9m profit at 569m worldwide.

Now if you want to say this is a very small profit, fair. If you want to say it performed worse relative to other live action works like Aladdin, fair. But it didn't flop 🤷‍♂️
9 million is in no way not a flop. lion king grossed 1.663 billion with a budget of $260 million in comparison.

"Box office flop"

Grossed nearly $570 million worldwide from a $240 million budget, not counting merchandise sales, and was the tenth-highest grossing film of last year.

That's not a flop, no matter how much you want it to be. Not everything has to be Frozen levels of success.

According to The-Numbers, The Little Mermaid only made $569.1 million worldwide with $298.1 million coming from the North America while $270.9 million came from various international markets. Using the $250 million production budget, the film needed to gross at least $625 million to break even

Last edited:
9 million is in no way not a flop.
Then you are misunderstanding the word flop.
lion king grossed 1.663 billion with a budget of $260 million in comparison.
And like I said, this is fair to state.

RoboFu RoboFu Some people are here to correct you about the flop because they're defending the movie. I'm here to correct you on the flop because I feel that it will help you make the strongest argument possible when pointing out the issues with this movie.

We are not the same.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Let's double down and change everyone's race now!

It's almost comical at this point. One day they say they are stopping all this nonsense then the next day...

This one going to be fun to watch sink to the bottom. Just make new characters Disney.

King Triton and Ursula

F31fS0iXgAAUv5O.jpg:large
The little mermaid of Bel-air?

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Why did you post in thread ? 😵‍💫

I like Disney. My kids like Disney. My wife likes Disney. I also happen to think this is doing more harm than good. ( as explained in a post above )

So again why did you post? 🤔
Because you're clogging up Off Topic with dumb bullshit.

But I see, if you have kids, this kind of stuff enters your life, that's a valid excuse.

Z O N E

Race swapping an existing character is more racist than not having another race character.

You're basically telling that race that they're not good enough to get an original character, with their own story, looks and whatever else so they will take a pre-existing one and call it a day.

Top Bottom