• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people lose their accents when they're in a country long enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
clearacell said:
I've always wondered if one can lose their accent and gain a new one if that's what they're influenced by all day.

Ive never seen an European or Asian person that lived in their country for at least 18 years come live here and lose their accents. I really think it depends on the age and the language.

bjork

My old boss has been here since the 1980s and still says shit like, "shiii just matta is fahking I losing mahney if you leaving lights on and forgetting when go home. Is a cheaper for me if just working with no lights on in store, is a dark, but just opening back door, sun can come in" etc

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
family said I'm losin my hometown accent :/

baultista said:
I met an old friend today who has been in Texas for the past two years. She has a very strong Texan accent now, but IDK if she fakes it or not.

She certainly doesn't have the "Canadian" accent anymore.

On a side note, "y'all" is pretty infectious.

Where the hell in Texas did she move? Like, Amarillo or something?

Yes, I've lived here for 14 years and while I stlll have my English accent it's definitely diluted a lot and has a bit of a transatlantic twang in places. It comes back in full force whenever I go home or am in the company of English people though. You never really lose the accent you grew up with, it just kinda goes dormant.

Some do and some don't. My friends family is from England and they've been living in America since at least 1984 and his older sister still has a thick English accent. His other sister has mostly an American accent but a slight trace of the ole English pops out every once in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom