• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we expect Splatoon to be the next major Nintendo I.P.?

Geg

2001 - Animal Crossing
2001 - Luigi's Mansion
2001 - Pikmin
2005 - Nintendogs
2006 - Wii Sports
2006 - Wii Play
2006 - Big Brain Academy
2007 - Wii Fit
2008 - Wii Music
2010 - Flipnote Studio
2010 - Nintendo DS Guide
2011 - Steel Diver
2012 - Nintendo Land
2013 - NES Remix
2015 - Splatoon

Indeed, it's been a long time since EAD developed a notable character IP.
Does Wii Fit Trainer count?

mo60

My original prediction was 1 million by the end of the year, now I'm expecting between 2 and 2.5 million.

I think it could end up selling above 2.5 million by the end of the year and it will most likely break 2 million by the end of the year.

I expect Splatoon to fail miserably. As a concept, it's just flawed. Plain and simple. Children do not want to play first person shooters. It's been proven time and time again. The only way Nintendo can keep from going the way of SEGA is to produce games their primary audience wants to play. In my opinion, Nintendo made a huge mistake by letting Minecraft fall into the hands of Microsoft. Nintendo shouldn't make the same mistake twice. They should buy the Five Nights at Freddy's IP right now while they have the chance.

I expect Splatoon to fail miserably. As a concept, it's just flawed. Plain and simple. Children do not want to play first person shooters. It's been proven time and time again. The only way Nintendo can keep from going the way of SEGA is to produce games their primary audience wants to play. In my opinion, Nintendo made a huge mistake by letting Minecraft fall into the hands of Microsoft. Nintendo shouldn't make the same mistake twice. They should by the Five Nights at Freddy's IP right now while they have the chance.
You just recommended Nintendo plays to its audience and then want them to buy Five Nights? What.

Geg

I expect Splatoon to fail miserably. As a concept, it's just flawed. Plain and simple. Children do not want to play first person shooters. It's been proven time and time again. The only way Nintendo can keep from going the way of SEGA is to produce games their primary audience wants to play. In my opinion, Nintendo made a huge mistake by letting Minecraft fall into the hands of Microsoft. Nintendo shouldn't make the same mistake twice. They should by the Five Nights at Freddy's IP right now while they have the chance.

Some of these have got to be joke posts

ugly

I'm expecting it to surprise GAF with sales. Nintendo will have an income report and we'll be like 'yea! go splatoon!'
it looks appealing for sure. And if you can say anything about Nintendo console adopters its that they love their first party material

Scum

Courtesy of Nirolak...

In general, even if it bombs, I would consider Splatoon to be one of the best thought out new IPs they've made in ages.

It's in a popular genre that Nintendo sorely lacks. It's seemingly made by people who both like the genre and spent a lot of time thinking about what design decisions/mechanics actually make the genre fun and engaging. They thought through what sorts of mechanics they could add to make the game feel unique and like something people would consider playing despite having other shooters. And on top of all that, they put a lot of effort into making a title that evokes a strong feeling of being a "Nintendo game" despite being in a genre Nintendo doesn't really work in.

It's like a game from an alternate universe where Nintendo was really on top of things coming into this generation.

...and I'm with him on this. Bring on, Friday!

OCD Guy

. Children do not want to play first person shooters. It's been proven time and time again.

That's a fair point, although it depends how old you're talking, as many young children play call of duty.

Nintendo shouldn't make the same mistake twice. They should by the Five Nights at Freddy's IP right now while they have the chance

So the children demographic you mention doesn't like first person shooters, but they like horror?

I don't have any doubt that this game will do pretty well for itself. It'll be a slow-burn though.

My worry is that they won't use the I.P beyond this one idea. A sequel for the next console, sure. But the I.P feels so strongly attached to its concept, that I can't imagine much else spinning off of it.

Maybe some location-based tagging in a streetpass game, or an application for creating spin-art. I dunno...

I could easily see them expand the singleplayer more. Have there be giant hub island that takes influences from a blend of different places such as California, Hawaii, Japan and other South Pacific beaches/cities. Have the city be like a cross between San Francisco and Tokyo. Introduce skateboarding/rollerblading for faster travel throughout the city. Incorporate trick system and the paint mechanic with that to make it entertaining and fun. Have the hub island be filled with different shops, skate parks, beaches, harbors, mall, etc. The main point of the game is to build a crew with their signature color and take over the whole city. You can accomplish this task by completing missions in different territories that may result in turf battles in the city. Once you take over the territory in the city you gain access to the shops, minigames, etc. in that area. Have the city have a larger variety of sea creature/human hybrids that you can play against. It'd be I guess kind of like Nintendo's take on the GTA model.

There are other options as well. I liked the suggestion of the American Football crossed with Splatoon theme. They also could do a Sunshine and Splatoon crossover.

That's a fair point, although it depends how old you're talking, as many young children play call of duty.

So the children demographic you mention doesn't like first person shooters, but they like horror?

My 8 year old niece loves Five Nights at Freddy's. It's all she talks about. Nintendo should be making the kinds of games my niece wants to play.

Kids these days want to use their imagination. Twitchy shooters are the antithesis of media that encourages the use of imagination. I honestly believe that we are in for a huge resurgence in puzzle/adventure genres. If Nintendo should hope to captivate this next generation of connected, tech-wise kids, they need to focus on these genres that challenge their almost god-like minds. No joke, Nintendo is selling their audience short by assuming they'll just lap up mascot action games forever. Minecraft is really the perfect example of a marriage between simplicity and complexity. Kerbal Space Program too. It makes me want to slam my head against my desk the fact that a game like Kerbal Space Program isn't on a Nintendo console. It's shameful that indie studios on Steam are producing more positive youth oriented product than Nintendo.

I know this seems silly, but I'd honestly love to see MYST re-released on the nintendo store. I bet you it would sell a million copies. It's exactly the kind of game that I think would appeal to the type of children who play video games in 2015.

Sacul64GC

Banned
My 2 cents. a younger audience has been coming in with parents to ask for the game or preorder it. I think it will do well enough. Even people with out Wii Us have expressed interest.

Madao

If they shoehorned Splatoon into an existing IP - let's say this was some sort of Mario sunshine spinoff, or a SSB style mashup battle game - do people think the sales would/will be significantly higher? It's an interesting thought experiment.

Personally I'm glad they used new IP, bit that may turn out to be a poor business decision.

i believe part of the reason they went with a new IP is because people usually say they just release sequels and don't do new games often.

the sucess or failure will be a turning point for Nintendo. if it suceeds, it means they can make big-budget new IPs that can actually suceed and we can get new series tailored for new gameplay instead of trying to change old series with new gameplay.
if it fails, it will just prove that people are content with the same series as usual and that the endless Mario spinoffs are a better decision than new IPs.

i really want it to suceed to see a lot of people eating crow.

sucess is gonna be tricky given the Wii U holding back the game.

LogN

We have about 20 pre-ordersat my store. Which, if you can believe it is more than we had for Witcher. I live in a big Nintendo town though.

That said, I expect good first month sales than it'll fall off.

Neoxon

I expect Splatoon to fail miserably. As a concept, it's just flawed. Plain and simple. Children do not want to play first person shooters. It's been proven time and time again. The only way Nintendo can keep from going the way of SEGA is to produce games their primary audience wants to play. In my opinion, Nintendo made a huge mistake by letting Minecraft fall into the hands of Microsoft. Nintendo shouldn't make the same mistake twice. They should buy the Five Nights at Freddy's IP right now while they have the chance.
rocketlaugh_take1.gif
giphy.gif

DNAbro

My 8 year old niece loves Five Nights at Freddy's. It's all she talks about. Nintendo should be making the kinds of games my niece wants to play.

Kids these days want to use their imagination. Twitchy shooters are the antithesis of media that encourages the use of imagination. I honestly believe that we are in for a huge resurgence in puzzle/adventure genres. If Nintendo should hope to captivate this next generation of connected, tech-wise kids, they need to focus on these genres that challenge their almost god-like minds. No joke, Nintendo is selling their audience short by assuming they'll just lap up mascot action games forever. Minecraft is really the perfect example of a marriage between simplicity and complexity. Kerbal Space Program too. It makes me want to slam my head against my desk the fact that a game like Kerbal Space Program isn't on a Nintendo console. It's shameful that indie studios on Steam are producing more positive youth oriented product than Nintendo.

I know this seems silly, but I'd honestly love to see MYST re-released on the nintendo store. I bet you it would sell a million copies. It's exactly the kind of game that I think would appeal to the type of children who play video games in 2015.

you being serious, yes or no?

12 million copies sold in 2015/2016.

Combined shipments of three amiibos 25 million for 2015 alone.

Pushes hardware to 1m+ for NPD Nov/Dec. Each.

Inklings confirmed as DLC characters for Mario Kart, Smash, and Devil's Third, and Mario Beach Basketball.

2016 Cannes winner for Best Screenplay.

Microsoft and Sony have cinematic trailers for Splatocalypse Now and We Were Splatters for E3 2017.

Penguin

I think it will do moderately well.

I think will be a nice mid-range of Wii U titles.

And will get a sequel.

I mean they've done sequels to Sin and Punishment and Steel Diver and the sorts.. this is a home-grown IP, it will have at least one sequel.

-Horizon-

I honestly think the game would've done even better if nintendo's YouTube policy didn't scare off some of the bigger creators.

AdanVC

Nintendo has been doing and impressive marketing campaign for this game. Big or even bigger than Mario Kart 8 and that is something I wasn't expecting at all. So I'm sure it will pay off in selling decently and charting pretty comfortably at this months NPD. No way it is going to bomb like TW101 or Bayo 2 that's for sure.

Shauni

I was going to say something, but then...

This happened, and I really don't know what I should say. I can't really see this as serious, and it's clear that he knows nothing about Splatoon (since he refers to it as a first person shooter right off the bat), so then it goes from whether it's a joke or a troll. If it's a joke, I kind of....see it? Maybe.

I could easily see them expand the singleplayer more. Have there be giant hub island that takes influences from a blend of different places such as California, Hawaii, Japan and other South Pacific beaches/cities. Have the city be like a cross between San Francisco and Tokyo. Introduce skateboarding/rollerblading for faster travel throughout the city. Incorporate trick system and the paint mechanic with that to make it entertaining and fun. Have the hub island be filled with different shops, skate parks, beaches, harbors, mall, etc. The main point of the game is to build a crew with their signature color and take over the whole city. You can accomplish this task by completing missions in different territories that may result in turf battles in the city. Once you take over the territory in the city you gain access to the shops, minigames, etc. in that area. Have the city have a larger variety of sea creature/human hybrids that you can play against. It'd be I guess kind of like Nintendo's take on the GTA model.

There are other options as well. I liked the suggestion of the American Football crossed with Splatoon theme. They also could do a Sunshine and Splatoon crossover.

That sounds like a mix of Splatoon, Jet Set Radio and Sunset Overdrive... And I like it :0

Ugh. Just ugh...

Meaty

I just hope nintendo doesnt give up on it if it doesnt sell too well.

It has potential to become a regular franchise.

A game like this needs fan feedback and an appropriate sequel that expands and improves on this amazing concept.

Pikma

Banned

Holy shit my eyes, my mind, what did I just read

SalvaPot

The game is releasing with the new wave of Amiibo, just like it happened with Majora´s mask and Monster Hunter, that alone means a lot of nintendo fans are going to be waiting in line outside the store waiting to spend their money and, while they are there, are likely to pick up splatoon.

Also is the kind of game that kids, teens, and everyone else will like to play with other people, and contrary to games like smash, you actually need more than once console to play with friends, so there is going to be a word of mouth going with people getting other people to get the game to play together.

Splatoon is going to easily hit 1 million and it won´t stop there. Its the first game I actually think has the potential to be the Wii U killer app, lets see how it goes.

Shauni

Oh man, I think you guys are getting a little ahead of yourselves. I can see this doing well, but it's not going to be a barn burner. Pace yourselves.

Jintor

wow i was sure minegap was trolling and then he posted the follow up. Now I don't even know. Some legit points but man what?

My worry is that they won't use the I.P beyond this one idea. A sequel for the next console, sure. But the I.P feels so strongly attached to its concept, that I can't imagine much else spinning off of it.

Maybe some location-based tagging in a streetpass game, or an application for creating spin-art. I dunno...

Splatoon RTS
Splatoon Kart Racer where you go faster in sections of the track that are covered in your ink color.
Splatoon Turn-Based JRPG where you discover the dark past of the world and join forces with a rogue octopus.
Splatoon Dating Sim
Splatoon Rhythm Game
Splatoon Tower Defense
Splatoon Platformer

Lots of possibilities!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think it'll sell pretty well, actually. Nintendo's been giving Splatoon a hard marketing push (as hard as Nintendo's willing to go) for a year now. The four public demos spread awareness (most of it positive ... aside from that horrible first hour last Saturday). I think it could end up in the top five best-selling Wii U games by the end of its lifespan.

Holy shit my eyes, my mind, what did I just read

it's like he's never played Call of Duty, or Halo, or fucking any FPS

I really hope Splatoon can gain traction. No one I personally know IRL even knows what it is when I mention it. For me though, I haven't been this hyped about a shooter or new Nintendo IP in a really long time.

TDLink

They're certainly positioning it that way. Even if it doesn't sell well it's the first big new character IP directly from EAD since Pikmin, over a decade ago. The marketing is on a comparable level to Mario Kart last year.

Even if it bombs they are thinking of it as a major IP.

Top Bottom