• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we expect Splatoon to be the next major Nintendo I.P.?

Odrion

Banned
Are you from a universe in which Pikmin isn't fucking amazing?

Splatoon is great, but Pikmin 1-3 are just amazing.
Pikmin 1 and 2 are something I cherish a lot.

But man, Splatoon feels just so good to play. I can't believe this is, really, Nintendo's first shot at a shooter outside of Metroid Prime.

noshten

Which platform have you played TW3 on? PS4 is my primary but the PS4 version having the stuttering/double-buffering issues that the Xbox version doesn't (well, until that new patch...) makes me a little unsure. I may wait for the next patch before fully diving in but it'll give me time to install and update, etc at least.

I cannot tell you about the PS4/Xbox versions, I have it on PC.

J4mm1nJ03

I cannot tell you about the PS4/Xbox versions, I have it on PC.

Cool, thanks for your recommendations anyways. I'm sure the PS4 version is fine, people seem happy enough with it. I just hope that those console optimizations come in 1.08 or whatever. I lived through the N64 era though so I'm sure I can manage. :p

I wish the pro controller had a gyroscope for this game. I don't mind the gamepad but it would have been awesome to be able to use that with the motion aiming.

Javier

I wonder what would have been like had Splatoon ended up being Mario Paintball (which was considered at some point).

Probably wouldn't have done any better than the average Mario Party.

Overside

Banned
splatoon_ink_your_fruz_frozen_yogurt.png

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

why even compare. both pikmin 3 and splatoon are shining examples of why somebody shouldn't skip the wii u. fuck sales, there is gold on this system..

J4mm1nJ03

I've been playing both for the last 2 months. And will for the rest of the summer it seems like. They're a perfect complement.

I figured they would be! I always like to keep something more fun/lighthearted on deck to play in between the more serious stuff. I've been playing Ryse and The Order the past two weeks with plenty of Rocket League in between. Though in that case, it's more like rushing through dinner to get to your dessert more quickly.

Thanks for the insight! Probably going to pick them up on the way home from work today to play all weekend. Gonna be fun.

Seems like I kicked a hornet's nest. Let's go slow here:

Pikmin 3 is Miyamoto's best game, so I'm not sure what this statement is all about.

He better retire if that's the best he can do. And I fully expect a dozen "then make something better" posts after this remark.

Yeah, let's make sure Miyamoto isn't distracted from Project Guard.

I'd rather have another Wii Music masterpiece.

Terrible opinions.

boothisman.gif

lol this guy

Thank you.

Hey look guys, I'm controversial.

No need for that, I never liked Pikmin, and I have nothing against Miyamoto, except when he fucks up games like Sticker Star. Though his positives outweight the negatives so far (thanks for the Gamecube controller and Mario, Miyamoto).

Are you from a universe in which Pikmin isn't fucking amazing?

No, I'm from this same universe. Different opinions can happen.

You go sit in the corner and think about what you've said.

I'm fine, thanks.

Hey let's force creatives to do what we want them to do

He can do what he wants, and I can say what I want* about it.

*Without breaking GAF's TOS.

What is it exactly you dislike about Pikmin?

The gameplay, the time limit, but mostly how Miyamoto kept trying to push the thing forward. I understand that he might be fond of the project, but let it go. IIRC one mod here even joked about another Pikmin announcement, because everytime he appeared (Miyamoto) he kept talking about the thing.

Seems like I kicked a hornet's nest. Let's go slow here:

He better retire if that's the best he can do. And I fully expect a dozen "then make something better" posts after this remark.

I'd rather have another Wii Music masterpiece.

Thank you.

No need for that, I never liked Pikmin, and I have nothing against Miyamoto, except when he fucks up games like Sticker Star. Though his positives outweight the negatives so far (thanks for the Gamecube controller and Mario, Miyamoto).

No, I'm from this same universe. Different opinions can happen.

I'm fine, thanks.

He can do what he wants, and I can say what I want* about it.

*Without breaking GAF's TOS.

Yes. You can say whatever you want. Though I'm fairly certain the fact that you don't like a game is what makes the game "shitty." Honestly, it's usually that everyone is unique and every game shouldn't be sold just for you... which is exactly the Nintendo mission statement. Grow the medium, engage new players, appease loyal fans. It seems like every time a game doesn't directly appeal to someone they scream NINTENDO DOESN'T GET IT and when they do it's like "There, now you did it right." Just let them do it all. Someone has to take risks or else we get a static entertainment medium that will always be niche and never be anything that earns a broader respect.

It just seems inflammatory. It's not breaking any rules, sure, and it may be a genuine reaction but at the end of the day it isn't constructive and seems like response bait. I like to use Brain Age as a nice example. That game isn't for me, but it got DS in hands of people in a way that had never happened. Hell, if you look at smart phone apps and games it seems a lot like a direct response to that.

But whatever. I'm ranting a losing battle. I'd rather have a conversation where someone says "Ugh, I hope he isn't working on another Pikmin. The way the game handled just felt clunky compared to Miyamoto's clearly capable abilities to make something responsive and precise. Put Miyamoto on something new and courageous, we don't need him on a game with a 4 suffix." Your responses just feel... idk, like a dude behind a screen.

Yes. You can say whatever you want. Though I'm fairly certain the fact that you don't like a game is what makes the game "shitty." Honestly, it's usually that everyone is unique and every game shouldn't be sold just for you... which is exactly the Nintendo mission statement. Grow the medium, engage new players, appease loyal fans. It seems like every time a game doesn't directly appeal to someone they scream NINTENDO DOESN'T GET IT and when they do it's like "There, now you did it right." Just let them do it all. Someone has to take risks or else we get a static entertainment medium that will always be niche and never be anything that earns a broader respect.

It just seems inflammatory. It's not breaking any rules, sure, and it may be a genuine reaction but at the end of the day it isn't constructive and seems like response bait. I like to use Brain Age as a nice example. That game isn't for me, but it got DS in hands of people in a way that had never happened. Hell, if you look at smart phone apps and games it seems a lot like a direct response to that.

But whatever. I'm ranting a losing battle. I'd rather have a conversation where someone says "Ugh, I hope he isn't working on another Pikmin. The way the game handled just felt clunky compared to Miyamoto's clearly capable abilities to make something responsive and precise. Put Miyamoto on something new and courageous, we don't need him on a game with a 4 suffix." Your responses just feel... idk, like a dude behind a screen.

Thank you for your answer, and no, I'm not just trolling. If I was I wouldn't come back here to answer anything. Yes, I do wish Miyamoto tried new things once in a while, though sometimes it fail and people would still get mad. Hell, I myself got mad when he tried something different with Sticker Star even though he did what I asked in the first place (which is try something new). People are complicated, some like the comfort of regularity, keeping things the way they are, while others like to change wherever it is possible. But what happens when we like both things, as in try new stuff but keep our old stuff the way they are? Are we being hypocrites? Maybe, maybe not.

HCgamer

I think so it is my most played game ever I go online all times of the day never have a problem getting a game started the wii u is supposed to be a dead console lol I anxiously await splatoon 2 switch day one.

Cookie18

I think so it is my most played game ever I go online all times of the day never have a problem getting a game started the wii u is supposed to be a dead console lol I anxiously await splatoon 2 switch day one.

I think we know the answer to this two years later...

resurrects old thread to say splaoon is good and in the process reminds everyone of how many doubters there were a few years back

good job son

where the modbots at

Bluth54

This post is truly worth bumping a 2 year old thread for.

Branduil

I am expecting slightly better sales than wonderful 101. So no, not a major new IP.

It'll bomb.

Love Nintendo and Splatoon, but if it hits 1M WW it would already be a miracle. :(

It's on Wii U.

So no.

Yeah, it's unfortunate but I don't think it has a chance at being a "big" thing. New IPs are sent to die these days.

You mean the next major Nintendo bomba?

Of course not. I'll be amazed if it reaches 1 million.

I mean, did you expect Codename S.T.E.A.M. to be the next big Nintendo IP? The Wonderful 101?

I'm expecting Wonderful 101 levels of bomb.

It will be as major ip as Chibi Robo.

This wall of shame just on the first page alone.

sörine;162559072 said:
It's going to outsell all Nintendo's non-Mario/Kart/Smash/Zelda games on Wii U. Not a commercial bomb at all, that's going to be XCX.

And this one guy who knew.

13ruce

Banned
I am expecting slightly better sales than wonderful 101. So no, not a major new IP.
It'll bomb.
You mean the next major Nintendo bomba?
It won't be anything special.

Even if the game hit every tune with online features and was bordering CoD4 levels of innovation, I think it would still be another Wii U game.

These kind of comments were the showing of true edgyness. Good times.

Wow, this thread shows how wrong people were over Splatoon.

I always thought it looked neat, but I didn't expect it to be as successful as it was either. I'm very happy that the first game did so well.

spekkeh

Banned
Current Wii U owner base is about 100% core demographic. It has nice characters that do well as Amiibo. I'm pretty positive this game will reach the 1M mark. Though not a lot more. Whether it can become a franchise kind of depends on how they can expand it.

I feel like it's getting a pretty big markting push from a company that's been known to push things out to die that would be a big seller elsewhere. I'm confident Nintendo know when they have a winner on their hands.

Aw shit, there was another thread where I shortly after predicted it would become as big as Smash. But it's apparently not this thread, so now my bad prediction is kept for posterity.

Worthy bump if you ask me. Reading the wall of shame alone is worth it.

One GAFFer said he would drink his own pee if the game was a success.

Kicko

I don't think I contributed to this thread, but I honestly believed at the time of it's reveal that it had the potential to be huge. I really loved the concept and overall aesthetic, the game just oozed mainstream appeal. The only concern I had at the time was, "How will Nintendo go about executing said concept?" Thankfully, they ended up nailing it big-time.

Neoxon

Seeing some gaffers' unwavering certainty that Splatoon would bomb is hilarious. Didn't it end up selling nearly on par with smash bros?
As Zedark said, Splatoon came pretty damn close to Smash 4 U on its first try. The sad part is that some of GAF's lack of faith in Nintendo as far as new IPs go also applied to ARMS.

Top Bottom