• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you know the Konami Code?

john tv

kamikaze said:
yes, of course...

...though i can't say i remember how i learned it. i probably heard about it from a friend in...1988? how did information get around in those pre-internet days? ;)
Why, The Official Nintendo Player's Guide, of course!

aku:jiki

Yeah, I know it and I even have said shirt. It gets gamers come up to me at parties and leaves non-gamers completely clueless to what it's about -- it's great. :p

I always liked (one of?) the DKC code, since it spells out DYDDY (D for Down again). Pretty cute.

zodiak

Funny, haven't used that code for many years but it just pops up in my head while reading this topic :D

up, .... :p

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
A friend taught it to me years ago.... didn't they still implement a version of it in one of their titles this generation or last? I can't remember...

JackFrost2012 said:
Yeah, but there hasn't been a game that uses it for years and years...

Actually, it was in a few Playstation-era Konami games. But instead of helping you, it screwed you over in various funny ways. There was one game - I can't remember which but I'm thinking either Gradius Gaiden or one of the Twinbee/Salamander/Gradius deluxe packs - where it gave you every weapon for about 10 seconds...

...and then made you explode!

Good stuff.

kamikaze said:
yes, of course...

...though i can't say i remember how i learned it. i probably heard about it from a friend in...1988? how did information get around in those pre-internet days? ;)
That was a while ago.

I used to use it occasionally in Nemesis (GB) and all the time in Contra. My friends would always use it for two-player sessions when we had sleepovers. It took me sooo many tries to make it work at Contra's title screen. Several months ago I set out to beat Contra on a single credit without the code, and of course it wasn't very hard. The same went for Super C.

The code works in Airforce Delta Strike. One of the hidden ships is the Vic Viper, and if you enter the code while you're using it, you explode. :D

Mashing

Of course... if you are over the age of 20 and you don't know the Konami code.. then you should have all your gaming stuff confiscated as you don't deserve it

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
john tv said:
I remember!

Always hate it when people feel the need to add
"Select"
, or do the
"B, A"
part twice instead of once. Get it right!

hitting select would move the curser to 'two-players' .. i would do it that way cause i felt hitting down afterward might screw up the code.

Mashing said:
Of course... if you are over the age of 20 and you don't know the Konami code.. then you should have all your gaming stuff confiscated as you don't deserve it

Likewise, if you're any age and you know the Mortal Kombat code.. then you should have all your gaming stuff confiscated as you don't deserve it.

8bit

Knows the Score
bobbyconover said:
Actually, it was in a few Playstation-era Konami games. But instead of helping you, it screwed you over in various funny ways. There was one game - I can't remember which but I'm thinking either Gradius Gaiden or one of the Twinbee/Salamander/Gradius deluxe packs - where it gave you every weapon for about 10 seconds...

...and then made you explode!

Good stuff.

Gradius Gaiden/Galaxies/Advance depending on where you live.

Dyne

Yes, I know it.

I liked the code that was in Chrono Trigger for Lucca's mom.

L A R A

That was neat.

Dilbert

Mashing said:
Did you read my story? Not everyone owned a Nintendo growing up.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
JackFrost2012 said:
Agreed. Esp if you tell them that
"Select"
isn't part of the code, they start telling you how you didn't have any friends as a child. WHATEVA!
But its true! ;)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
No, but I know this:

0385504209.01._PE40_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

CoryCubed

I always choke on the konami code but I'll always know Sonic 2s level select, debug, and all emeralds code. Along with Sonic 1. I also remember MK Trilogys for the Nintendo 64.

Acrylamid

Yes,
IIRC I first entered it in Parodius (GB). It unlocked the BGM menu and the level select...
I still think that these "Flying Lips"-enemies are the coolest baddies ever (together with some end bosses from Yoshi's Island).

ohamsie

Just posting to say I know it.

I wonder if so few people don't know it, or if they are just too ashamed/lazy to post, or what?

Man, games these days just don't have codes like they used to. It was like the biggest thing in elementary school to pass around NES codes. And in middle school the biggest thing was knowing all the Mortal Kombat moves and fatalities, and to a lesser extent, the Street Fighter moves. What the hell is exciting about games nowadays? NOTHING.

Error Macro said:
Man, games these days just don't have codes like they used to. It was like the biggest thing in elementary school to pass around NES codes. And in middle school the biggest thing was knowing all the Mortal Kombat moves and fatalities, and to a lesser extent, the Street Fighter moves. What the hell is exciting about games nowadays? NOTHING.

Codes used to be tricky and memorable, like a phrase or actual password, not just a button combination. Nowadays, they're designed to be as obfuscated as possible so that you're required to purchase the strategy guide.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Yes I do remember, and the only game I have distict memories of using it in is Jackal. I know I used it in others but can't remember, I'm so old.

IgeL

Mashing said:
I think you guys should take into account that not everyone was into console games. PC was a viable gaming platform in the 90s, and I don't think many Konami games have been released on the PC (MGS is the only one I know of). So, umm, let's change that to "if you are a console gamer over the age of 20", thanks. :)

Kudie

So the Konami Code works on both MGS2 and ZOE2. Does this include Substance, or just Sons of Liberty? I tried the Code on Substance at the title screen and got nothing. Maybe I have the "A" and "B" buttons wrong. Does any one know which buttons on the Dual Shock 2 represent the "A" and "B" buttons?

Top Bottom