• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony will make any more Demon's Souls games?

From what I've read, Demon's fans are the most accurate and honest when discussing the game's weaknesses and problems, hence why I completely stay away from the Dark Souls' fanbase. You can't properly speak to most of them about the game's design problems; to them the game is perfect when it is clearly flawed in so many ways.

I'll play Demon's Souls soon enough in order to emit a judgment.

What's more questionable to me are the fanatical Dark Souls fans that have never played Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls probably wouldn't have happened without Takeshi Kajii's approaching From about making a spiritual successor to King's Field. From Software may or may not have revisited medieval fantasy games without him, but it's unlikely they would have made Demon's Souls as we know it.

I got the impression Hidetaka Miyazaki and From were already shopping something KF/DS-like around, but no publishers were biting. When they got in touch with SCEJ, that's when Takeshi Kajii said "Hey, this reminds me of King's Field. You know what we can do with this?", and they finally found their publisher and source of funding.

Then Demon's Souls' success gave From the funding necessary to create the Dark Souls games independently, with Namco picking up publishing responsibilities outside of Japan.

Though I'm not sure what information has informed that impression, or if I just imagined some of it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Not broken in the sense it doesn't work, right? Broken in the sense it's OP.

Yes broke in the sense you can crush the game with it. Hopefully Dark Souls 2 finally puts magic on the level. Thats what i meant by deisgn problems rather than technical.

beril

Because they can make both?

What do you suggest the other staff members within FROM do while Dark Souls 2 is being made? Sit around and twiddle their thumbs?

If Sony came to them with the idea of collaborating on a ps4 title using the Demon's Souls IP or something new, why would they decline? Getting an early next gen title is a tremendous opportunity for a studio like FROM. Their name has already gotten bigger this gen, this would increase their clout even further.

Dark Souls 3?
Armored Core, Tenchu, King's Field, New IP?

Even if they want the whole company to focus on pushing out Souls games I still see no reason for them to return to making single platform Demon's Souls. Outside of direct story continuation there's nothing that can't be done in a Dark Souls game just as well and they really shouldn't have much trouble to find funding for that type of game. They can reach a much bigger market with a third party publisher, or better yet publish it themselves. Maybe their rumoured Sony project is something much more risky, but a straight up Demon's Souls 2 doesn't make any sense unless they're getting considerable money hats.

Eh, its the same series?

I thought the whole reason it became Dark Souls was because Sony own the 'Demon's Souls' brand. So From got around that by calling it Dark Souls (and thus Dark Souls II).

Yuterald

Would like Demon's Souls to become a more literal spiritual successor to King's Field, maybe not first person, but more dungeon focused like it was. That way it isn't too similar.

Get this composer back in too.

Would even be okay with first person actually.

Fuck it just make King's Field V.

Seriously. I'm going to be MAD disappointed if all we get on PS4/Xbox One is another Dark Souls-like game with Demon's Souls branding. I'm so fucking frustrated with From Software. I've been a fan of them since the beginning and I miss the days when they would produce/release a variety of titles. Most importantly, I miss their flagship King's Field series. I feel like the time is now to break back into the first-person dungeon crawling scene. With their new found notoriety they could easily reboot King's Field and give some of the other first-person guys (Bethesda, for example) on the market a run for their money.

Dark Souls 3?

Even if they want the whole company to focus on pushing out Souls games I still see no reason for them to return to making single platform Demon's Souls. Outside of direct story continuation there's nothing that can't be done in a Dark Souls game just as well and they really shouldn't have much trouble to find funding for that type of game. They can reach a much bigger market with a third party publisher, or better yet publish it themselves. Maybe their rumoured Sony project is something much more risky, but a straight up Demon's Souls 2 doesn't make any sense unless they're getting considerable money hats.

So while some of FROM are making Dark Souls 2 you want the others to make DS3. Just lol. First Souls is by far FROM's most successful IP and there next title would no doubt have to be next gen as a last gen in a post 2015 world is not going to do well. Now which one of those series' is a pub going to fund......Souls.

You guys haven't even seen Demons Souls 2 and yet theres talk how its going to be the same meanwhile your saying make DS3 which in all likelihood would be even more similar.

I'm guessing if it happened its because Sony talked to them early and FROM and SCEJ have a great relationship.

beril

So while some of FROM are making Dark Souls 2 you want the others to make DS3. Just lol. First Souls is by far FROM's most successful IP and there next title would no doubt have to be next gen as a last gen in a post 2015 world is not going to do well. Now which one of those series' is a pub going to fund......Souls.

You guys haven't even seen Demons Souls 2 and yet theres talk how its going to be the same meanwhile your saying make DS3 which in all likelihood would be even more similar.

I'm guessing if it happened its because Sony talked to them early and FROM and SCEJ have a great relationship.

What would be the difference between making DS2 and DS3 simultaniously and doing DS2 and DeS2 simultaneously? Outside of where the money comes from, market confusion, self cannibalism and a smaller for audience for DeS2. Unless FROM or Bandai Namco is hurting for cash, which seems unlikely after Namcos recent results and FROM just having their biggest success ever, going to Sony to do a DeS2 rather than continuing their own series just seems like a bad idea.
That being said I don't particularly believe they are working on DS3.

Dark Souls 3?

All of those games are way too niche and, no matter how many platforms they threw them on, wouldn't be as successful as Demon's Souls or whatever game they are cooking up with Sony.

I really don't get where this "From will never go back to exclusives" idea comes from. They're not a publisher like Namco or Square. They're a contract developer. Who just so happen to have a very good relationship with Sony/Yoshida ever since the ps1 days.

All of those games are way too niche and, no matter how many platforms they threw them on, wouldn't be as successful as Demon's Souls or whatever game they are cooking up with Sony.

I really don't get where this "From will never go back to exclusives" idea comes from. They're not a publisher like Namco or Square. They're a contract developer. Who just so happen to have a very good relationship with Sony/Yoshida ever since the ps1 days.

Well, Sony somehow ditched the rights to publish demon's souls in the west. I imported Demon's Souls from Hong Kong back in the day after some gaffers did praised this game.

Well, Sony somehow ditched the rights to publish demon's souls in the west. I imported Demon's Souls from Hong Kong back in the day after some gaffers did praised this game.

Because they didn't think it would sell here. Neither did From for that matter.

At any rate, I think Sony has made amends by putting the game on PSN and taking over the servers. Atlus was going to turn them off.

What would be the difference between making DS2 and DS3 simultaniously and doing DS2 and DeS2 simultaneously? Outside of where the money comes from, market confusion, self cannibalism and a smaller for audience for DeS2. Unless FROM or Bandai Namco is hurting for cash, which seems unlikely after Namcos recent results and FROM just having their biggest success ever, going to Sony to do a DeS2 rather than continuing their own series just seems like a bad idea.
That being said I don't particularly believe they are working on DS3.

Working on a sequel while the initial game has not come out is never a good idea because said sequel needs to improve stuff from the initial game which may not be recognisable until its released.

Lol at self cannibalism. There is no Souls audience on next gen consoles so having one will not cannibalise sales on PS360 when the next gen game will be coming out much later.

Market confusion is unlikely again since the target audience is not that stupid and assumes the name will be Demons Souls 2 when in reality it might be different.

It seems like you don't understand what FROM are like. They are contractual devs. How many next gen games has Namco funded especially one that would require a decent budget like a next gen souls game......0. Sony and FROM have had a great relationship since PS1, Miyazaki gets on well with SCEJ and they did create the Souls franchise together. Of course FROM would be more than happy working with Sony again.

Clevinger

To the people saying, "Why would From work on two similar IPs at the same time? And why go back to an exclusive when their other series is multiplat?" I think they forget that From has done this before with Chromehounds and Armored Core and they'd do it again for the same reasons: To keep giving work to their teams. Except in this case a Demon's Souls 2 is much more likely to be a financial success than Chromehounds was.

I doubt publishers are chomping at the bit to give From work, so like most studios they're happy to get what they can to keep people employed and keep the studio's finances healthy.

Kosma

Banned
Dark Souls 3?

Money hat wouldnt have to be that big though.

Jharp

I think From should move away from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls after DS2 comes out. I want to see what else they can bring to the table.

Bad mech games?

Because they didn't think it would sell here. Neither did From for that matter.

At any rate, I think Sony has made amends by putting the game on PSN and taking over the servers. Atlus was going to turn them off.

I still find this difficult to believe. Why the hell did the game have a full English translation for both text and voice? I know it's not the only Japan/Asian-only game that has had a full translation, but still, that game was entirely localized with both menus, all items and descriptions, and full English voice acting. Thankfully, the PS3 was region free and we could all import the Asian version and not deal with all the bullshit. All they had to do was just make a new box and ship it here. Which begs the question of why they changed certain item names, but whatever.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You should.

I see what he sees

Absolutely :)

You know what would be awesome? A new Demon's Souls-like game, but sci-fi. Could be set on a single planet, no need for space travel, but with aliens and weird locations, gadgets, high tech weapons and such, etc. Keep the same dark vibe.

You're not alone. I've scribbled down quite a few ideas about how you could carry the same Souls essence into a sci-fi/future setting. It's really fun to think about.

Seriously. I'm going to be MAD disappointed if all we get on PS4/Xbox One is another Dark Souls-like game with Demon's Souls branding. I'm so fucking frustrated with From Software. I've been a fan of them since the beginning and I miss the days when they would produce/release a variety of titles. Most importantly, I miss their flagship King's Field series. I feel like the time is now to break back into the first-person dungeon crawling scene. With their new found notoriety they could easily reboot King's Field and give some of the other first-person guys (Bethesda, for example) on the market a run for their money.

I can sympathise with fans wishing for a new King's Field, but what makes you think it's time to break back into the scene? While not first-person, Deep Down gives me serious old school dungeon crawling vibes, and yet that's more Capcom testing the next-gen waters with some new tech and F2P ideas. I can't imagine From diving in at the deep end (excuse the pun) with something like that. They know they have a good thing going with dark fantasy action, yet they're mature enough not to milk something dry. They'll keep switching up their approach so as to please fans while not developing a "formula" that so many series fall victim to over time.

Please people, trust in your legends and keep your ears to the ground.

2AdEPT

Hahaha....the debate rages on....after scrutinizing all threads I am left to remain hopeful for a Miyazaki lead team doing Demon's Souls 2 for Ps4....I could care less which programmers he works with to make the game, his direction will remain selective. He was known as a brutal Nazi as far as accepting his team's input, and my guess this wont change with whatever project he is working on. I imagine once the art team for Dark souls 2 was done, and yes they were done a while ago , they easily could have started drawing up good ideas for Demon's Souls 2. The production line gets Da2 done then immediately start on de2. All the stories of impossibility for from to work on two titles is garbage, as is the idea that even if Miyazaki had to use other minions from Sonyland that he could not direct a new team to the same end is also garbage. Everything makes perfect sense for this to be at very least logical and possible and all the non-open-mindedness in the thread is regurgitative.

Just had the premonition of opening my PS4 box that actually comes with a copy of Demon's 2; the picture of which is plastered all over the big blue box.

Count me in the "believe" section.

sn00zer

Cant really blame Shu. Mere months from launch and the game was reportedly a mess. No lock on, fps around the high teens and so many bugs in their combat engine. The TGS demo was not good. Anyone would have passed on the game. That From and SJ brought it together in the end was nothing short of amazing.

I love DaS, DeS and I loved Kings Field. So looking forward to DaS2.

I love that people will get to play more gameS like these in the near future.
So we're ignoring that more Souls games has just been hinted at agaiin...ok

Sony been sitting on the IP for 5 years. I hope it is in development and has some involvement with From Software. Without From, I wouldn't even look at it.

Top Bottom