• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does "Going Gold" mean the same thing it did in the past?

kicker

Banned
There is much less reliance on physical distribution, so the concept of master copies and going gold seems odd to still be using

Correct me If I'm wrong, but going gold used to mean that a master copy of the game (with a minimal level of bugs and glitches, and the vast majority of content) was ready to be given to publishers, then put on cds en masse and distributed to retail stores. There was also the suggestion that the bulk of production had ceased and the final version of the game was ready.
That obviously isn't true for modern games (I could list examples, but I will assume most of you know what I mean) and so why should the announcement that a game has gone gold mean anything more than "the game is launching soon whether or not it's ready"

What does "going gold" mean for modern developers?
What does a game "going gold" suggest for you?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Does "Going Gold" mean the same thing it did in the past?​

bwHNglX.gif

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
40905744592_bb1e1d2509_b.jpg
Still means effectively the same thing for any studio thats actually gonna sell physical media, the blank BluRays are still actually gold
For studios that do digital only releases, I dont think they even call their game gold, they just say its finished or ready to be sent to the publisher.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
It's the "gold" baseline image. Basically the final cut product.

The term got turned on its head a bit bc companies that would proudly announce something went gold would typically imply that it was "ready" and not rushed, and with relatively little bugs or errors, emphasizing quality.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
It still means 'The disc is burned'. The only difference is in the past you got a fully playable game and now it often means advanced beta that requires 100GB day1 patch + severals more patches.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
In software it basically means finished version that's gonna end up being submitted for wide audience release. We still have physical releases for most triple-a games but the concept is pretty much the same for both digital and physical, and the difference is that this gold master is gonna be pressed into shipped copies of the games for physical distribution, as well as submitted to various digital storefronts (which is also a process that you have to go through in order to publish a game digitally).

It means the game is finished, and the master can be printed for physical copies. In modern times, it also means they can keep working on the game right up to release due to the internet and the ubiquity of patches and hotfixes. So it no longer means the game can't be changed after the game copies are being printed.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I feel like it used to mean ‘now we’re finished, enjoy our hard work’.

Today it’s more like ‘here’s a version of the game that runs, we hope it doesn’t break’.

Banned
it truly has no meaning anymore no.

a gold master these days could literally be 100% unplayable without a patch, which would have been impossible in the past

There is much less reliance on physical distribution, so the concept of master copies and going gold seems odd to still be using

Correct me If I'm wrong, but going gold used to mean that a master copy of the game (with a minimal level of bugs and glitches, and the vast majority of content) was ready to be given to publishers, then put on cds en masse and distributed to retail stores. There was also the suggestion that the bulk of production had ceased and the final version of the game was ready.
That obviously isn't true for modern games (I could list examples, but I will assume most of you know what I mean) and so why should the announcement that a game has gone gold mean anything more than "the game is launching soon whether or not it's ready"

It still holds meaning in the Console world, as going Gold means the platform allowed the game to be released. That doesn't mean the game would be any good, but it passes what ever metric Xbox, Playstation or Nintendo deemed necessary to run on their hardware with their blessing.
One rule on PS4 was apparently a maximum booting time. One of the PS4 Star Wars games had you pointlessly run around killing people as Darth Vader on launch, purely so they can bypass the restriction and load the rest of the game while still get a pass from Sony.

Note that Playstation killed the Cyberpunk launch retroactively once they decided the game is not actually up to standards and should never have gone gold. Hence also the refunds.

The meaning is non-existence on PC gaming, because there is no gatekeeper.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah, Nintendo and sega use to have very strict approval processes that took a long time. so much so that devs began using tricks to get passed approvals if there were little bugs by making exceptions go to a stage select screen or the like.

These days since you can patch anything a lot of stuff passes.

McGILLAZ

I'd say no - consider the amount of day 1 patches. While not particularly new, the number of games released with large issues has become more and more common place. I'm still shocked Capcom allowed the Series X version of Resident Evil 4 fly with its poor controls for example. I'd say that there's a lot of conversation "in house" that's evolved over time with Agile and Manufacturing Principles....ala, is it more cost effective to postpone a release to fix issues and miss out on potential sales.....or is it more cost effective to push something slightly broken out the door and then fix in post.

It's literally my main argument against $70 dollar games. (folks can say well....N64 titles used to be $80....and that might be true, but you knew you were getting something playable out the door. Food for thought)

winjer

Gold Member
Today, it means nothing, as most games are released with tons of bugs.
Most games get a day one patch. And then take several patches to be a "finished" product.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Finished? I can't say I consider any game that needs a day 1 patch finished, especially in terms of software standards
Semantics. Obviously it means a version that comes at the end of the development cycle that goes on sale on the release date. Whether it requires post-release aftercare is a different story.

Banned
Semantics. Obviously it means a version that comes at the end of the development cycle that goes on sale on the release date. Whether it requires post-release aftercare is a different story.

there are gold masters that are quite literally not playable tho.
so going gold literally has no meaning anymore.

Halo Infinite's gold master for example is not playable without patch

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No.

Today, going gold just means the game is ready to be put on a disc to ship out while the team is crunching extra hours to iron out hundreds of bugs for the inevitable day 1 patch.

Drizzlehell

Banned
there are gold masters that are quite literally not playable tho.
so going good literally has no meaning anymore.

Halo Infinite's gold master for example is not playable without patch
It is what it is but what can you do? Goalposts have moved at the dawn of digital age because it's so much easier to just patch the game after the release, while back in the day, you had to make sure that the game that's gonna be pressed on the disc is as polished as possible because it couldn't be updated afterwards. What's considered a gold master nowadays in a lot of cases would be unacceptable 20 years ago.

Also worth keeping in mind that games didn't used to require as much effort and time to produce, so the situation is also largely caused by balooning workloads and limited dev cycles.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
It suggest the game is entering beta phase. The real "going gold" will be GOTY edition.
Pretty much. Back then, a game released in a bad state means that’s it it can’t be fixed unless they ship another version of the game so they made sure that the game they are shipping is the best version of the game. Today it just means that the game is entering beta phase.

DavidGzz

It's still a good thing, I mean I don't remember many(any?) games being delayed once they go gold.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

It's still a good thing, I mean I don't remember many(any?) games being delayed once they go gold.
Well once the game has gone gold the disk is off to the printers.
Even if it got delayed at that point chances are there would be some "old gold" prints of the game in the wild.
So might as well just release that im assuming broken game with a massive day one patch.

DavidGzz

Well once the game has gone gold the disk is off to the printers.
Even if it got delayed at that point chances are there would be some "old gold" prints of the game in the wild.
So might as well just release that im assuming broken game with a massive day one patch.

Yeah, all I'm saying is gold is still good for anyone who is looking forward to it. Like it's not like D4 is getting delayed until August now, it's gold baby. So sure, it may not mean a bug free game, but at least we get to play it on or around launch.

Black_Stride

Yeah, all I'm saying is gold is still good for anyone who is looking forward to it. Like it's not like D4 is getting delayed until August now, it's gold baby. So sure, it may not mean a bug free game, but at least we get to play it on or around launch.
Yeah im agree with you.
Once a game has gone gold, its release date is all but guaranteed, bugs and all.

Ev1L AuRoN

Yes, going gold just mean it's ready for manufacture and distribution, doesn't say a thing about the quality of the product. Games now receive continuous support for its entire shelf life, it's just how it is. Games are a lot more complex nowadays, on PS2 and backwards you cannot easily patch a game so they make sure the games are at a standard of polish, but the games themselves were a lot simpler.

RAIDEN1

To me it doesn't mean what it used to, these days half baked games are being released ready for launch, and then the rest of it gets updated in patches....just look at e-football it was a shadow of what came before it...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Means nothing except "Hey, we got a copy ready for sale" And that copy could be shit. For many, got to hit that Christmas release at all costs (Cyberpunk 2077).

It's like the term "beta". I remember betas as a PC thing back in the 2000s where studios sent out beta downloads to some people to test their online game a year out. They get feedback and tidy up the game. The final game is much different.

A "beta" now is often a free download for everyone to test the game out 6 weeks before launch. The game probably already has a gold version ready to go. To me, it's more like a demo. And the fixes will come at launch (if they got time to do last minute tweaks), or major fixes months later.

Last edited:

Tsaki

I played a lot of Pokemon Blue. Let's just say that "going gold" didn't mean much either back then.

MP!

Gold means the build is ready to be sent off to manufacture.

But nowadays it also means TIME TO Make the DAY ONE PATCH!

Fun fact it's because the discs were actually gold back in the day on the master copies

Alebrije

Before intertent /online patches...going Gold was the final product.

Now going gold is a half baked steak served on your table just to be returned several times until is well cooked..but chances are chef will never deliver it well done.

Basically Going Gold does not exists any more.

Last edited:
Means the same thing as Beta, Alpha, Early Access etc..... absolutely fuck all.

These terms used to mean something, now they are just for PR spin to be used when suited.

ReBurn

Gold Member
No. The gold copy was the one all other copies were made from. It was rare to change that version. Nowadays it means viable for release.

I like that there's a model to update games post-release these days. There was a time where your broken game just stayed broken or you hade to buy a re-issue. It just sucks for people who buy physical at launch. Unfortunately for them that's probably the worst version of a modern game there is.

Top Bottom