• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does "Going Gold" mean the same thing it did in the past?

ahtlas7

Depends on the game/publisher/developer. I don’t recall ever buying a case with a cardboard disc inside years ago.

People need to grow up and get real. I like the fact that games can be patched and fixed. I remember when I had to buy the USA version of Exhumed for 3D pad support and the Death Tank support, or how I had to send my launch copy of MSR back, because of game saving crashing bug

SHA

Do you really believe at some point in the future games will start being launched feature- *and* performance- complete?
Why would that just happen and what does 'mature' mean?

Silly you. You're a donkey. *You* effect the distribution.
Later in its life cycle, yeah , why not? ,8th gen was an exception, it won't
happen again.

kicker

Banned
People need to grow up and get real. I like the fact that games can be patched and fixe
What does this even mean? Do you think anyone dislikes being able to have their games patched?
Two scenarios:
1. Devs start patching games through the internet, games still have the same good standards for release quality at "gold" so any patches we get are just slight tweaks for fringe cases.

2. Devs start patching games through the Internet. Games have shit standards for release and waiting for day one patches to even play the game without crashes is an acceptable level for "gold" release quality. Patches are essential to playing a game as advertised.

Wanting 1 instead of 2 means I should grow up?

What does this even mean? Do you think anyone dislikes being able to have their games patched?
Two scenarios:
1. Devs start patching games through the internet, games still have the same good standards for release quality at "gold" so any patches we get are just slight tweaks for fringe cases.

2. Devs start patching games through the Internet. Games have shit standards for release and waiting for day one patches to even play the game without crashes is an acceptable level for "gold" release quality. Patches are essential to playing a game as advertised.

Wanting 1 instead of 2 means I should grow up?
I like having games fixed, when back the day they couldn't be or you had to send off for the latter pressed version like I had to for MSR and I believe the USA launch version of BlueStinger had issues

If games being patched were to add 30 hours of gameplay, I could well understand it, but most games are patched to fix issues to do with graphics or controls.
Hell I would have killed for a Daytoma USA graphics patch fix back in the day

kicker

Banned
Later in its life cycle, yeah , why not? ,8th gen was an exception, it won't
happen again.
What life cycle? Developers work on these games in their own engines, all the hardware cycle dictates is the amount of power available to them.

How can you call it an exception when this is how big budget games have been releasing since 2014?
I like having games fixed, when back the day they couldn't be or you had to send off for the latter pressed version like I had to for MSR and I believe the USA launch version of BlueStinger had issues

If games being patched were to add 30 hours of gameplay, I could well understand it, but most games are patched to fix issues to do with graphics or controls.
Hell I would have killed for a Daytoma USA graphics patch fix back in the day
I like having games fixed too. I don't like devs purposefully releasing games unfixed just because they are now able to fix it down the line.

I like having games fixed too. I don't like devs purposefully releasing games unfixed just because they are now able to fix it down the line.
No developer released a broken game on purpose and to say that , is utterly ridiculous and pathetic.
Having to fix a game is more work for a developer and team and most prob the last thing they need or want, after working on the game for 4 years When no doubt most of the team want to go on holiday or work on something new

Many games were released unfinished back in the so called glory days of gaming

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
No developer released a broken game on purpose and to say that , is utterly ridiculous and pathetic.
Don't speak for developers here, they know exactly what state their games are in and the prevalence of the day 1 patch is proof that they do.
Having to fix a game is more work for a developer and team and most prob the last thing they need or want, after working on the game for 4 years When no doubt most of the team want to go on holiday or work on something new
The "last thing they need or want" is to make sure the content they worked 4 years on is actually working the way it's supposed to be? 'Having to fix a game' you mean 'making sure the work you put in for 4 years is finished'? Are you trying to say that making sure a game works as advertised is a separate from development and something that devs shouldn't 'have to do'?

Level Designer: "I worked on this level layout and its set pieces for 4 years, I can't wait for players to check it out, I'm so proud of it"
At launch: The level and set pieces are not working as intended and no-one can enjoy your 4 years of work
- Level Designer: "I spent 4 years working on it, I'm tired already"
What is the point of those 4 years if no-one can see the result the way you intended when it is released?
Level Designer: "I'm going on vacation, it'll be fixed in 2 weeks, bye"
But I gave you my money and it isn't working
Level Designer: "Just wait for a few days"
Then why didn't *you* wait for a few days to make sure it worked at release?
Level Designer: "I want to go on holiday and work on something new, It's just games, stop taking it so seriously"

And this is okay to you?

Many games were released unfinished back in the so called glory days of gaming
You yourself pushed examples where games were stuck the way they were released in the past, and so big budget games needed to be working on-disc in order to make money. It is dishonest to suggest that the majority of games always released this way and you know it.

You know what? It's clear you don't see the problem, so I will stop trying to reason here.

Don't speak for developers here
But it's ok for you too? The Irony...

You yourself pushed examples where games were stuck the way they were released in the past
I just gave you clear examples as a gamer who's played games since 1983. Not someone jumping on what's trending on social media and making out modern gaming is terrible.
BYE!

supernova8

Banned
Just means they've finished polishing the microtransactions side of things and they will proceed to bombard us with DRM day one patches and other stuff to make it impossible to play the game without going online.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
In the later half of PS360 days, we already saw "day one patches", which was already bullshit for the most part. PS4 and One came and got even worse. Now we even fucking have in the box saying that it needs downloading... It's a new level of bullshit

Braag

It used to mean the game is ready.
Now lt means the game is ready apart from polish and bug fixes.

in theory, yes, in practice not really.
HDDs and possible patching moved the whole or huge parts of the QA ordeal to the early adopters.

SHA

What life cycle? Developers work on these games in their own engines, all the hardware cycle dictates is the amount of power available to them.

How can you call it an exception when this is how big budget games have been releasing since 2014?
8th gen consoles are underpowered machines , the patches didn't help, they're still underperforming, Performance isn't an issue this time , underperforming on powerful machines means something odd , not the norm.

Top Bottom