• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Nintendo Treehouse rely on memes too much? (Tri Force Heroes Localization)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If the two English translation differences were minuscule like a word or two swapped for something that makes more sense for that region, then that's fine. However if they are reworking the entire translation, then that seems a bit excessive.

They do it to reduce localisation times. Years ago NoE would have to wait for the NoA translation to be done and then work from that. Now with text-heavy games they both get started on their own script while the game is being written in Japanese. Sometimes they still share the US one but more and more they are getting different scripts. All the trophy text in Smash 4 is different for example.

In rare cases like Xenoblade the US version will use the EU localisation, but that's unusual.

SigSig

It's a French stylist on the bottom one

why is everyone missing that. like she uses le throughout the whole game

Because they want to be outraged at the memessss
Literally
75c46a776a0fd9a1e73dcb66e862b2a9.jpg

I mean, getting upset at "adorbs"?
That's adorbs.

AnGer

I didn't even know that NoA and NoE are using completely separate EN translations!? Or are they just changing certain parts? But I suppose since NoE started translation directly from the NoJ version instead of waiting for NoA to finish it does make sense.

It's not just English. French Canadians get their own translation as well.

Me? Eh, I am so tired of these memes and I honestly never liked them or at least never got what was supposed to be funny about them anyway (especially the ever-prevalent "rage comics"), so seeing them trickle into other media annoys me.

On the subject of the OP's example, I definitely prefer the British version for its dryness and slight snark.

She's a a fashion lady, and they tend to be French to fit the character archetype.
Except that if they went with the "fashionistas are/like French" archetype, they would have thrown in some more French words. Here, it is just an internet lingo reference.

random25

No biggie. The game just happens to be quirky, so it really doesn't hurt.

Now, complain if they do this to games like Fire Emblem, or a serious Zelda game (like the upcoming Wii U one).

Krabboss

Literally

That's adorbs.

Injecting memes into mainstream media has been cringey since the dawn of time. It has nothing to do with being out of touch with the times. If anything, the translation team isn't quite up to date with this doge meme.

They should have said netflix and chill or something. It'd be just as fitting.

dity

Literally

That's adorbs.
Sometimes gamers seem like old men, really. Them kids ruining our games, it's almost as if they're made for kids too!

sonto340

Except that if they went with the "fashionistas are/like French" archetype, they would have thrown in some more French words. Here, it is just an internet lingo reference.

It would help if she used more than one French article
Man it's a good thing she comes off as super French in the rest of this games dialogue.
But no let's just get outraged because she used le which some people on the Internet use because it's an unfunny maymay

shaowebb

This isn't bad. When it becomes like the game "Randall's Monday" then its bad. That game had no content. Just parroting off references every second and thinking it made the game entertaining and charming. No real fun at all...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, people think adorbs and totes and get gud are internet memes? wat

also "le" predates internet. It's a way to introduce a stereotypical French character without actually knowing French. Always spouts le and ze.

Alpha_eX

That's cringe worthy and feels really out of place for anyone who doesn't know the meme. I wish people wouldn't do this. Gucamelee has done memes in video games enough for an entire generation, no one else should be doing this.

Jackano

They do it to reduce localisation times. Years ago NoE would have to wait for the NoA translation to be done and then work from that. Now with text-heavy games they both get started on their own script while the game is being written in Japanese. Sometimes they still share the US one but more and more they are getting different scripts. All the trophy text in Smash 4 is different for example.

With proper localization tools they won't have to wait the full NoA EN-US work to adjust the EN-UK one, and vice-versa for FR-FR and FR-CA maybe.

But once again personally what bothers me the most is the resulting lack of consistency between languages, and the potential misuse of resources. Full NoE EN team while NoA is already doing the job means people at NoE who could have done another game who won't see a western release.

Man it's a good thing she comes off as super French in the rest of this games dialogue.
But no let's just get outraged because she used le which some people on the Internet use because it's an unfunny maymay
That would be a good thing, if it was true. But she really doesn't.

I mean ignoring her name is Madame Couture then teah sure.
What does her name have to do with the rest of her dialogue being super French? Her name being French doesn't make the rest of her dialogue French-ier. Her dialogue actually being super French would do that.

oti

Banned
The moment I see "all the feels" on my screen my 3DS hits the wall and shatters into thousands of pieces.

TheMoon

Here's another example that TheBitBlock used as being excessive
Nintendo needs to crack down on their translation team and stop them from using so much lame internet language. ADORBS HAAAAAA GET IT CAUSE IT'S INTERNET! HAAA! Have some dignity translation team. :\
CSCTdt9UEAAM11w.png

Nothing about this has anything to do with the internet. This is a perfectly fitting way to write for a character in this specific game which is set in a fashion obsessed world and naturally emulates the language of fashion culture and/or fashion-obsessed youth culture. This isn't internet language and Josh should really know better.

There is nothing wrong with this specific example.

"Adorbs" is modern slang, and it's even been included in some dictionaries. It's a word people use. He should get over it.

This. Yea.

At some point aren't they just completely ignoring the original script? Do they even need translators?

Localization isn't just translation.

I think some haven't played the game or not aware of the sillyness and just plain weird, but fun feel around it. Then are passing judgement because of the meme.

This is a game, on which they call for heroes with pointed ears, parted hair and sideburns...

On which a fat lady with a cat, designs your clothes..

Heck, and early spoilers but...the pink haired Link from A Link to the Past appears right in the beginning of the game and is not allowed to enter the castle because of his pink hair...

There's a guide in Hytopia wearing a tuxedo, but when he turns around, he's wearing nothing but underwear.

TriForce Heroes makes fun of many things and itself. It doesn't take itself seriously (even the soundtrack is just weird..and with some choir to boot).

So, I'm more than satisfied with Treehouse's translation. Really well done.

But TheBitBlock's gonna BitBlock.

Thanks, someone actually played the game and gets the context! :)

Nothing about this has anything to do with the internet. This is a perfectly fitting way to write for a character in this specific game which is set in a fashion obsessed world and naturally emulates the language of fashion culture and/or fashion-obsessed youth culture. This isn't internet language and Josh should really know better.

There is nothing wrong with this specific example.

This. Yea.

To clarify, I agree. I was just fleshing out BitBlock's complaint

What does her name have to do with the rest of her dialogue being super French? Her name being French doesn't make the rest of her dialogue French-ier. Her dialogue actually being super French would do that.

To be fair, it's not like Nintendo hasn't written French characters before, but I suspect they intentionally toned it down after this. Even I had trouble parsing it at times; I can only imagine the trouble younger children may have had

MLBiS_-_Broque_Monsier_First_Encounter.png

Mr Rivuz

Memes are already boring enough on the internet, i'd prefer not to see them in games too...
Most of this garbage gets old so quick, and NoA even chose a meme that's already old and unknown right now. Good job.

I can't believe some people have their tits tied in a knot over a wacky spin-off with a ridiculously silly story having silly internet fun.

I guess that twitter account posted in the OP is totally annoyed with the meme reference. Should be bombarded with responses of:

wLCSUhh.png

Eolz

To be fair, it's not like Nintendo hasn't written French characters before, but I suspect they intentionally toned it down after this. Even I had trouble parsing it at times; I can only imagine the trouble younger children may have had

MLBiS_-_Broque_Monsier_First_Encounter.png
I'm French and this feels tons better. Never seen a good french stereotype character only use le before.

Now, NOA can be good too, and localization is made by different people on different projects.
Are the credits specific about this? I have a slight idea but...

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
All this thread proves to me is that the average person is a terrible judge of writing quality, which is why professional editors exist. They just failed their job when doge memes passed the bar.

zeopower6

All this thread proves to me is that the average person is a terrible judge of writing quality, which is why professional editors exist. They just failed their job when doge memes passed the bar.

Part of it could be that the editors themselves are into memes. I think someone from SomethingAwful that edited for Pokemon injected a lot of the SA memes into a Pokemon game.

Memes are funny for a bit but god, they'll get stale quickly.

Come on. A story about rescuing a kingdom's fashion from a French haute-couture witch's sister needs to read like Hemingway now?

Top Bottom