• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Wikipedia deserve mercy and help?

gdt

I gave them $10 last year and I just saw the new email this morning so I’ll give them $15 this year I think.

Wikipedia is phenomenally important.

CHC

Picture a world where Wikipedia is run for profit.

Now picture a $5 breakfast sandwich and cup of coffee.

You know what to do here.

Yes

Wikipedia is the most humanistic good thing on the internet. If anything on the dubya dubya dubya is deserving of funding and protection, it’s wikipedia.

It is my opinion that Wikipedia should become an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity soon so its funds are more or less guaranteed. It is one of the greatest accomplishments of humanity and (even if I think Wikimedia is doing perfectly well at this point) the perspective of it becoming privately funded or ad-ridden because of money problems is terrible.

Meanwhile, yes they deserve your mercy and help.
This.

Its honestly one of the best things to come out of this whole internet thing. Its a modern wonder and a sign of civilization advancing.

What kind of question is this? Are you assuming this is a scam, OP?

Of course they deserve the funding. I’m glad they run these windows as it reminds me to donate.

Wikipedia is one of the most vital and valuable resources of the modern age. I donate every year. I must read at least a Wikipedia article a day. I can't imagine my life without it. When I haven't heard of something before, I don't Google it, I check for a Wikipedia page first.

Some Nobody

lol of course they do.

Also, random: Does anyone remember when Wikipedia was first created and everyone called it trash and a reason for the downfall of students doing academic research? I'm amazed how much opinions have changed in a little over a decade.

Jacknapes

I tend to send some money to Wikipedia at least once a year, it's worth it considering it's a knowledge bank which is free for all.

Yes! Wikipedia is an amazing accomplishment.

lol of course they do.

Also, random: Does anyone remember when Wikipedia was first created and everyone called it trash and a reason for the downfall of students doing academic research? I'm amazed how much opinions have changed in a little over a decade.

A professor at my uni still calls it trash, he's an elitist weirdo tho.

Fuchsdh

Not true. I've read a ton of excellent articles on the German Wiki. It's just that pretty much all admins are weird pseudo-elitists who don't know jack.

German language (was, might still be) the second largest language wiki after English. It's entirely true that the smaller language wikis have some serious problems, especially when administrators basically rule by fiat (when I was a member of the English Arbitration Committee we'd regularly get pleas from other language wiki users to do something because there was no way to appeal an admin's decision there.)

For Wikipedia, fewer numbers of contributors (IMO) results in more interesting prose and better esoteric coverage, at the danger of more significant systemic error possibility; more contributors waters down the language and adds potential for errors from text formatting and additions (references disjointed from their supported statements, etc.) but also does a much better job at mediating biases.

The big threat to bias in Wikipedia, especially in political or social articles, is almost never in main articles, but in small content forks that don't get as much attention.

The big threat to bias in Wikipedia, especially in political or social articles, is almost never in main articles, but in small content forks that don't get as much attention.

That GAF article on Wikipedia falls victim to this. There's a couple instances of seemingly intentional ambiguous phrasing and the article is fairly negative overall.

Take this excerpt:
Following a controversy that stemmed from misgendering a transgender Kotaku writer, Doug TenNapel described being derided on the forum as "like being unpopular in North Korea."[16][17]

Fuchsdh

That GAF article on Wikipedia falls victim to this. There's a couple instances of seemingly intentional ambiguous phrasing and the article is fairly negative overall.

Take this excerpt:

NeoGAF is also a good example of how when there's not good overarching coverage, an article just turns into a litany of grab-bag facts. NeoGAF is clearly important enough for an article, but not important enough that it gets a lot of good coverage that can make the article much better than sentences about what X person thinks about it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
NeoGAF is also a good example of how when there's not good overarching coverage, an article just turns into a litany of grab-bag facts. NeoGAF is clearly important enough for an article, but not important enough that it gets a lot of good coverage that can make the article much better than sentences about what X person thinks about it.

Just looked it up.

Talks about Evilore saying both sides, removal of Bishop, Amirox being a pedo, top Clinton site, For or Against from Denis, etc.

You can imagine the individual that wrote it.

Thought, I didn't know the history prior to 2005, so that was nice.

horkrux

I read an article on this a few years ago. I don't remember any details, but the gist of it was that they're not as needy as these ads want to make you believe.

SomTervo

Pretty much this. It has it's issues, without a doubt, but the work they've done in gathering so much knowledge and making it easily accessible is nothing short of amazing.

It's become especially amazing since the Wikipedians have been pushing so much for citation and quality information gathering. 'Citation needed' made the website so much better.

Just looked it up.

Talks about Evilore saying both sides, removal of Bishop, Amirox being a pedo, top Clinton site, For or Against from Denis, etc.

You can imagine the individual that wrote it.

Thought, I didn't know the history prior to 2005, so that was nice.

I wanted to rewrite the whole article with proper contextualization and adding more information other than just shady insinuations, but I don't even know where to start. How you cite sources for the experience of a forum, especially when the current article relies on websites like "recitygaming.com" for their sources?

It would be great to have an article as good as other internet staples like, say, @dril.

But I'm getting off topic. Forgive me. This is about funding Wikipedia, which we all should. Wikipedia belongs to us all. We share the responsibility.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The fact that it's a free depository of knowledge available a few seconds away at my whim forces me to donate what I can when the prompt does the rounds.

To think that countless people throughout the ages would have been purely overjoyed at such a prospect of Wikipedia is cause to do it. Imagine what Aristotle would have done. That is your answer.

Izayoi

Banned
Nothing on the internet is more worth your money than Wikipedia.

They have changed mankind, and for the better - which is generally a rarity when you're talking about the internet.

It is the largest known repository of knowledge in existence, and is available in almost every single language on the planet.

What Jimmy Wales and his organization have accomplished is nothing short of astounding.

Vire

I don't have a problem with them asking for money, but they don't deserve "mercy" and many people in this thread are overstating what a benefit to humanity it is.
Knowledge is not a benefit to humanity?

Just donated a fiver, Wikipedia is the best site on the internet.

Ultryx

If you use Wikipedia and have the money to afford a donation, then yes, please donate to them. I do so once a year.

Wikipedia is like the pinnacle of what the internet can be. A vast wealth of knowledge from subjects from politics, math, physics, billions of years of history summarized, engineering, chemistry, cars, planes, video games, chairs, guitars, religion, famous books, people, animals, etc, etc.

Nearly 5.5 million articles. Easily accessible and all available for free.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wikipedia is the most important resource on the Internet, and keeping it independent and unbiased is crucial. Wikipedia is pretty much the only charity I donate to.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Wikipedia is entirely free.

There are no ads. There are no subscriptions. No one gets a better service than anyone else. It's a shockingly accurate, unbiased, flourishing source of the most comprehensive wealth of information the human race has ever seen. Where other major websites face encroaching problems of corruption, capitalization, commercialization, privacy issues etc, Wikipedia remains free from these outside forces and remains relatively reliable.

If sticking a big donation box in my face once every six months for a week or two is what it takes, I couldn't care less. Hell, I donate every time one of those pops up.

We take Wikipedia for granted more than most things in this world. It's a blessing.

and yet no one will let you use it as a source. lol

No and no.

Knowledge is critical. Wikipedia's implementation of how that knowledge is crafted and delivered is not.

Indeed.

It's a shockingly accurate, unbiased, flourishing source of the most comprehensive wealth of information the human race has ever seen. Where other major websites face encroaching problems of corruption, capitalization, commercialization, privacy issues etc, Wikipedia remains free from these outside forces

lol
Can't believe anyone thinks this is the case.

RalchAC

Yes! Wikipedia is an amazing accomplishment.

A professor at my uni still calls it trash, he's an elitist weirdo tho.

There is still plenty of stigma in the academic world. Still, it's easy to tell when an article is well of poorly written, especially if you go to the bibliography. Universities should teach students how to difference the good from the unreliable instead of saying it's crap.

I don't have a problem with them asking for money, but they don't deserve "mercy" and many people in this thread are overstating what a benefit to humanity it is.

I dont think they are. Encyclopedism is basically the reason why we live in the world we do. Wikipedia is crutial to continue with such tradition.

Kenstar

Picture a world where Wikipedia is run for profit.

Now picture a $5 breakfast sandwich and cup of coffee.

You know what to do here.

ootXoD9.jpg

I donated so I'm allowed to make this joke

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
It is my opinion that Wikipedia should become an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity soon so its funds are more or less guaranteed. It is one of the greatest accomplishments of humanity and (even if I think Wikimedia is doing perfectly well at this point) the perspective of it becoming privately funded or ad-ridden because of money problems is terrible.

Meanwhile, yes they deserve your mercy and help.

Yup.

Top Bottom