• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Review Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date
I like how the most negative review(Gamespot) doesn't even really know what's wrong with it going by the conclusion. How bad do you need to be at reviewing to go "something's off but I dunno what so whatever 6/10".

What's the consensus on load times? Metro says they're awful, anyone else pitch in?

All they're saying is that it's not a system-seller, something the Wii U is in desperate need of.

So if it doesn't appeal to the masses it gets deducted points? Niche games can't get a 10/10?(not saying DKCR is niche). Seems like "game is good but Wii U is doing bad so deduct points" reasoning.

kubus

All they're saying is that it's not a system-seller, something the Wii U is in desperate need of.

Save that shit for an article about how doomed Nintendo is. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game, and doesn't belong in the verdict section of a review of a game.

hamchan

I like how the most negative review(Gamespot) doesn't even really know what's wrong with it going by the conclusion. How bad do you need to be at reviewing to go "something's off but I dunno what so whatever 6/10".

What's the consensus on load times? Metro says they're awful, anyone else pitch in?

The paragraph in the OP is the intro btw, not the conclusion.

The Gamespot review seems fair to me. He acknowledges some of the recent, great platformers he's played, Rayman Legends and 3D World, so if those games are the standards he's using then maybe this one just isn't as good.

Wow, I am so impressed with the review scores I'm seeing here! I expected reviews to be solid, but not quite like this. My pre-order cannot arrive quickly enough!

scitek

Eurogamer: DKCR - 9, calls DKC: Tropical Freeze "a superior game" - 7

That sort of thing makes your publication look idiotic in my eyes. It literally makes no fucking sense.

So if it doesn't appeal to the masses it gets deducted points? Niche games can't get a 10/10?(not saying DKCR is niche). Seems like "game is good but Wii U is doing bad so deduct points" reasoning.
Save that shit for an article about how doomed Nintendo is. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game, and doesn't belong in the verdict section of a review of a game.
The success of a platform should not affect the review of a game.

It really shouldn't, but don't be surprised when outlets can't help themselves but to mention it.
Every keystone release for the Wii U is going to have this extra, and frankly unfair, additional evaluation.

MDX

Briefly skimming over the negative reviews, the common thread seems to be that it's incredibly similar to the older DK games and doesn't innovate. Doesn't bother me, none of the reviews seem to imply it's a poor platformer, just that it's overly familiar.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
What else do they expect developers to do with successful sequels/formulas?

I wouldn't mind, because that's exactly my experience with Dark Souls. (frustrating, too much repetition, no sense of progression for long periods, 4/10). I think games should be rated on what the respective reviewer's experience was, not what some hypothetical other person might think of it.

If the game is too difficult, there's easily obtainable consumables (extra hits, invincibility, survive pits, etc) you can use. Didn't see the reviewer mention them though.

coldone

What does system seller mean?

Will there be a bump in console sales when the game comes out. How many people will buy a new WiiU just to play DKC ?

review scores should not be affected by the fact a game is not system seller or not. A good game is good, irrespective of the sales.

There are few games in history that has been system sellers. Monster Hunter on PSP, FF on PS1, GTA on PS2, Wii sports for Wii, First Gears on 360, Mario on NES, GT on PS2/PS1...

The paragraph in the OP is the intro btw, not the conclusion.

The Gamespot review seems fair to me. He acknowledges some of the recent, great platformers he's played, Rayman Legends and 3D World, so if those games are the standards he's using then maybe this one just isn't as good.

My bad, but I skimmed through it and I stand by what I said. The entire review revolves around "shit ain't new" while barely saying anything meaningful.

I don't mean to go defense mode against a negative review but this particular one is badly written.

nkarafo

It seems to me that some reviewers try too hard to find something bad about this game and despite finding very little, that still give average reviews. With the biggest flaw being "its not something new"

Well, guess what 99% of "AAA" games on PS3/360 aren't something new either but nobody finds that a bad enough thing to reduce the review scores.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Destructoid liked it? Good enough for me. Those guys have a tendency to match up with my likes/dislikes.

Axass

It really shouldn't, but don't be surprised when outlets can't help themselves but to mention it.
Every keystone release for the Wii U is going to have this extra, and frankly unfair, additional evaluation.

I haven't played the game, so I can't comment on the game being good or bad, but that's utter bullshit: part of the press is so up its ass it's not even funny anymore.

That's like saying Skies of Arcadia deserves a 6 because it didn't save the Dreamcast.

Salih

I have been strong these past weeks dodging all kinds of gameplay videos, news, music clips etc.
Now it gets finally released! can't wait!

Feindflug

Eurogamer: DKCR - 9, calls DKC: Tropical Freeze "a superior game" - 7

That sort of thing makes your publication look idiotic in my eyes. It literally makes no fucking sense.

He didn't review Returns so if he thinks that Tropical Freeze is a superior game maybe Returns was a 5/10 game for him. :O

It seems like we have a fair, and wide, representation of views in these reviews. I'm a little surprised at the blowback some folks here are contributing. It's not any reviewer's responsibility to be "good enough to have fun" at a game or to grade a game based on some objective truth.

I personally love that we have a continuum of opinions, and I'd like to see it more often. Diversity of opinion is what makes criticism interesting.

This is all coming from someone who's been a Nintendo fan for nearly 30 years, has owned over single Nintendo system (including the Virtual Boy), and considers the DKC series to be my favorite in gaming history.

Exile20

Not innovative enough apparently.

BTW here are some other reviews from him:

Assassin's Creed 3: 9/10
Assassin's Creed 4: 9/10
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: 10/10
Far Cry 3: 10/10
GTAV: 9/10
Bioshock Infinite: 10/10

Is this real? Never going to that site again.

Sendou

It seems like we have a fair, and wide, representation of views in these reviews. I'm a little surprised at the blowback some folks here are contributing. It's not any reviewer's responsibility to be "good enough to have fun" at a game or to grade a game based on some objective truth.

I personally love that we have a continuum of opinions, and I'd like to see it more often. Diversity of opinion is what makes criticism interesting.

This is all coming from someone who's been a Nintendo fan for nearly 30 years, has owned over single Nintendo system (including the Virtual Boy), and considers the DKC series to be my favorite in gaming history.

Criticism of criticism is as important as cricism itself if not more important. There have been some very weird downsides mentioned in those reviews and while I don't support any kind of overreaction those parts should be called out.

Do XBO games get points deducted for not using the Kinect? Off-TV play is more use than the Kinect gets in most games. What about the PS4, do games lose points if they don't make extensive use of the touchpad on the DS4?

What does that mean? The reason to buy a Wii U in order to play it, is because you fucking need a Wii U to play it. What other reason is there? Do you need to buy an Xbox One or PS4 to play their exclusives, other than the fact that, you know, they're exclusives? Does someone sit there playing Dead Rising 3, and go, "*sigh* there is like, no reason to buy an Xbox One in order to play this game..."

Getting really tired of this shit...
You're my new favorite member. Our avatars get along so well, after all.

My colleague at God Is A Geek gave it 8/10
While Tropical Freeze is technically not doing anything drastically different from Donkey Kong Country Returns, it’s no less rewarding and, above all, fun. The ease of obtaining powerups, as well as the improved abilities of the Kongs make for a friendlier game than its predecessor. Meanwhile, a host of challenging boss fights that end each island excursion are as old fashioned as you can get and while these encounters can take a little too long to pass, they are no less entertaining to take part in. For modern-day jungle explorers, the mountain of secrets hidden in each level will keep dedicated players occupied for some time. Put simply, it’s old school platforming done right, a wonderful alternative to Mario that is definitely worth adding to any Wii U owners’ collection.

Criticism of criticism is as important as cricism itself if not more important. There have been some very weird downsides mentioned in those reviews and while I don't support any kind of overreaction those parts should be called out.

Oh, we're on the same page here. I just don't think any criticism of a reviewer for "sucking at the game" is productive.

For those criticising Gamecentral, a few excerpts from their review:

These abilities speak to the central problem of Tropical Freeze: it’s all very well made but there’s not an original bone in its body – and its obsession with recreating the past only exacerbates the situation. Neither of Retro’s Donkey Kong games dare to move beyond the usual outdoor settings (here it’s jungle, followed by a Nordic forest, followed by an African savannah, followed by some tropical islands, etc.) and none of them have any substantial new features.

The game is filled with secrets and extras but even most of these turn out to be simple one room mini-games, that soon become so predictable it severely lessens the desire to search for them. This in turn makes unlocking the bonus stages even more difficult, although they only reward you with what are essentially the platforming equivalent of Dark Souls.

[...]

These set pieces are the exception to the rule though and far too much of the game is just competent but unmemorable platforming, with little variation or any attempt to surprise. Even the animal mounts that have always been a part of the series are used infrequently and to little real effect.

There just seems no desire to push beyond what the series has already been established as. If not for the higher resolution and more mobile camera this could’ve easily been mistake for a game from 10 years ago. Especially as by far the most impressive aspect of the presentation is the music by original series composer David Wise – yet another retro indulgence.

They make it sound competent but unremarkable, with too much focus on the past and not enough interesting ideas. Make of that what you will, but I personally find David Jenkins one of the most trustworthy and consistent reviewers in the business.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So it was true. No words are needed. I wonder if they enjoy being treated as the clowns of this industry by their own audience, or think they're right and the world is wrong

eXistor

The Gamespot review was invalidated to me the moment I read that he thought Rayman Legends is a game filled with elegant puzzles and platforming challenges. Not saying it's a bad game, but challenging it was not and its level-design was a load of copy/paste with a different wrapper.

Lunar15

Problem is, we can't really call them out until we have the game in our hands and have seen for ourselves if what they're saying is true or not. This is why I'm not a fan of review threads, because it's people overreacting one way or another before they can even judge it for themselves. I remember the ALBW review thread where people were freaking out about Destructoid's 6, and then when I played it I felt the same. Or Uncharted 3's where people were freaking out over friggin 7's and 8's, and then when a lot of us played it we understood where they were coming from.

It's not to say that I haven't had my fair share of games where I totally didn't agree with reviewers, but I couldn't make that call until I played it myself. The only thing we can gather from these reviews is that there are things to like about the game, but some people weren't feeling it. It's not fundamentally broken (or you'd get no 9's or 10's) but it's also not a game that clicks with everyone (hence the lower scores). It's worth checking out.

ASIS

The reviews are making me so excited! The lower scores are (somewhat) valid, but I don't relate to them one bit.

No use of gamepad - Good riddance, I was planning on using the Wiimote anyway.

It's just another DK- Good, I WANTED another DK. the fact that they didn't re-invent the series makes me even more excited.

Too Predictable - The reviews are making it clear that this is more about point 2 than saying the game is repetitive, which i also have no problems with.

CAN'T WAIT!! :D

Hoo-doo

Banned
So, kind of boring unless you really love platformers that kick your ass?

Was to be expected. Nothing about the footage shown pre-release garnered any shred of excitement out of me, personally.

Now go and do something actually fun, Retro.

The Gamespot review was invalidated to me the moment I read that he thought Rayman Legends is a game filled with elegant puzzles and platforming challenges. Not saying it's a bad game, but challenging it was not and its level-design was a load of copy/paste with a different wrapper.

I think Rayman Legends got so many bonus points from people (myself included) for those amazing music levels. The "average level" may not have been all that inspired, but I will be probably playing those music levels 20 years from now.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Overall, a lot more positive than I expected, though that "Won't save the Wii U" rubbish shouldn't be mentioned in a review.

Top Bottom