• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

HiiiLife

Honestly never doubted them after The New Order.

Multiplayer is a miss for me, though

But single player is so gooood. Especially when you get to
HELL

Exclusive preview of Polygon's review:

doom3copy3bsdp.jpg

I am dead now .

badb0y

I'm shocked this game is getting positive reviews. I was ready to completely pass on it but now I guess I'll play through it over the summer vacation.

Serick

Married Member
This game is the most fun I've had in an FPS in over a decade. No exaggeration (although I still haven't played wolfenstein).

9/10

Super happy with my purchase.

Eusis

Bethesda also managed to not show off Wolfenstein well. They don't seem to get what actually makes their games fun.
Given how they seemed to have known id's original course was going to be a disaster I guess people there KNOW, just none of them also work in marketing.

I knew all the scores would be good, of course the guy at Polygon looked like he never played a video game so complained about the controls

But hey at least the game is doing good with reviews.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
But I can carry 40 rockets now lol. It was nice early on until I got ammo upgrades. Now if I want to clear groups, I spam rockets like the good old days.

Yeah, true. And man, the Super Shotgun feels sooooooo good. I feel like I'm punching satan in the face every time I pull the trigger.

Wow, really surprised this game is getting such a good rap. Literally haven't heard a single negative impression in this thread. Gonna have to borrow it from my friend after Uncharted 4.

What's a good/non-frustrating difficulty to start with?
Hurt Me Plenty (normal)

I'm playing on PS4 and while I've read people saying HMP is easy, I think you die way too fast on Ultra-Violence. Obviously getting good mitigates that but stuff gets so chaotic and intense as you progress that I'm still finding HMP to be a good challenge. A couple of sequences I've had to replay several times just to sort of get a grasp on the strategy to manage everything

Early on it's like "oh yeah sure this is easy, just punch everything" and then later you have all the big demons all up in your grill

Ammo management is the biggest challenge early on, gets easier once you get more weapons. Love the balance, you always feel like you're on the verge of running out (and then it's chainsaw time, RIP AND TEAR)

Horp

Small correction:

After you get the Super Shotgun, your regular Shotgun will gather dust until the end of the game. Hell Knight? Super Shotgun. Revenant? Super Shotgun. Pinky? Super Shotgun. Cacodemon? Fuck it, Super Shotgun, they fly right at your face in this game anyways.

Baron of Hell? Well, okay. Rocket Launcher or Railgun for that. Those fuckers hurt.
Im finding uses for the combat shotgun still, currently at lvl 9 playing on ultra violence. The charged burst and explosive shot has uses. In fact, I use all weapons in this game. They all have uses (even the pistol, with some upgrades).

This game man... Goty contender.

Toxi

Banned
I knew all the scores would be good, of course the guy at Polygon looked like he never played a video game so complained about the controls

But hey at least the game is doing good with reviews.
Polygon hasn't reviewed the game yet. The picture is quoting Gamespot's review of Alien Resurrection to make fun of that one Polygon preview played by someone who sucked at the game.

Im finding uses for the combat shotgun still, currently at lvl 9 playing on ultra violence. The charged burst and explosive shot has uses. In fact, I use all weapons in this game. They all have uses (even the pistol, with some upgrades).

This game man... Goty contender.
Yea I've been using combat shotgun as my standard weapon, only using super when I need to just unload damage on something. Would rather save ammo when possible .

I feel like it shouldn't be docked points for MP.

Just pretend it's a SP only game like Wolfenstein was.

That's not how games work

You put content in the game it's going to be reviewed and rated, as it should be. If it's that bad it never should have gone in to begin with

JFC

Alex

Their multiplayer focus should have went into variations of co-op, maybe some longer term content and DLC for that. Competitive was a poor idea for the franchise, especially with the caliber of competition.

That's the In Progress score. It's not final.

Yeah and it's based on the single player which everyone agrees is the best part. They completed the campaign

The rest is multi-player and snapmap.
Based on the lame limitations in snapmap and how bad the doom MP beta went I would be surprised if the score doesn't drop a bit

neohwa

Not a fan of the series(too violence and dark theme) but I like Battlefield and similar fps because how crazy the gunfight is. Would I like this game?

Woorloog

Banned
Their multiplayer focus should have went into variations of co-op, maybe some longer term content and DLC for that. Competitive was a poor idea for the franchise, especially with the caliber of competition.

I think that Competitive MP would have been fine had it also gone to roots, ie something like the new Unreal Tournament. Cut the loadout and perk crap.

Top Bottom