• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 coming to PS4 and 3DS in Japan in August

Pepboy

Woahhh. I actually own the SFC version of DQIII, so I might just play that, but are DQ I & II worth going back to?

I finished I and II on Android, III SFC version.

1 was actually really fun for me. Some stuff wasn't great, like having to carry around keys and torches, but it's such a refreshing game to have only 1 character and 1 enemy at a time. I might even enjoy it more than 3...

2 was a bit tougher to enjoy. While more modern, it's a much longer game, with more stuff to do. Sometimes the clues were obscure for me so I used a FAQ. The characters barely talk, but do contribute to the quests. It's probably still more fun than the average JRPG, but probably my least favorite DQ (except for 9). However I think a controller would add a lot, as would playing it in one go rather than short mobile sessions.

SeppOCE

I own 1-3 on GBC and I've just gotten into the series. DQ2 is one of the most charming things I've played this is great news.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DQ3's mobile port is missing the animated sprites from the SFC version so hopefully they add that back in.
Really? That's a huge thing to remove :l

They are amazing
venom_worm_attack.gif

wing_demon_magic.gif

tortragon_attack.gif

Raw64life

Cool that you can play every single DQ game on 3DS, but if it's just the mobile versions, which I've already played through, even a DQ fanatic like myself will probably pass.

Prophane33

Still awhile to go till getting DQ1 since I'm only around 20 hours into DQXI (3DS) and taking my time; will buy 2 and 3 on day 1, even if I do own them on Famicom and Super Famicom.

Pepboy

Are these straight 8/16bit ports or remakes?

Most likely the mobile ports of the SNES remakes, but perhaps with additional changes.

Nothing confirmed yet to my knowledge, just that the free DQ1 on PS4 was mobile port.

My hope is these include the originals as well.

Justinh

Hoping this comes to the west. I just finished Dragon Warrior on NES and am not looking forward to paying for DW 2 and 3 with manuals.

Boythisisreallyexpensive!.nes (I still think I'll end up getting them for NES though, by the time these probably come over.if they come over)

gblues

Banned

Nice! I made an Imgur gallery to compare against the iOS version:

https://imgur.com/gallery/2C4PM

It looks like the scaling bug is fixed, and the UI is back to a traditional menu instead of My First IPhone App buttons.

PS4 seems to have higher resolution monster art.

All that remains to be seen is the English typeface choice. Please not Helvetica. Hopefully they use the font from DQ Builders which feels like a modernization of the classic NES font.

butman

Nice! I made an Imgur gallery to compare against the iOS version:

https://imgur.com/gallery/2C4PM

It looks like the scaling bug is fixed, and the UI is back to a traditional menu instead of My First IPhone App buttons.

PS4 seems to have higher resolution monster art.

All that remains to be seen is the English typeface choice. Please not Helvetica. Hopefully they use the font from DQ Builders which feels like a modernization of the classic NES font.

OK, this is an improvement:

If they're the mobile versions then they're already localized and you can play them on mobile, so it's not that big of a deal.

Still would be cool to have them in console / handheld form.

I wouldn't really count DQ 10 as a 3ds game. There's no cartridge and you're playing it via cloud stream, not to mention only Japan can play it and I've heard it's nearly unplayable due to lag (does anyone actually play 10 through 3ds?). But sure, you can count it in for those list warz.

Are trophies really that important lol

1morerobot

Man I loved Dragon Warrior 1 so much. Never did finish it though. I might have to boot up the NES and do that some day.

Shahed

I wonder if these will come over. Dragon Quest 1-3 will make it so 7 will be the only one I haven't played bar the MMO

Now are these 3 games any good beyond thair say historical relevance? For example I appreciated Final Fantasy 1-3 for what they were, but I wouldn't say they were that good

JPS Kai

I wonder if these will come over. Dragon Quest 1-3 will make it so 7 will be the only one I haven't played bar the MMO

Now are these 3 games any good beyond thair say historical relevance? For example I appreciated Final Fantasy 1-3 for what they were, but I wouldn't say they were that good

My fondest memories of DQ1 revolve around using 'Check' on every single space, so take that as you will.

They better bring that shit overseas!

How is the UI for the PS4 version that came with DQXI? I know it's the mobile version of the game, but did they redo the UI to make it look like the original game's? It would be a real shame if it was the same shit mobile UI with controller support forced onto it.

entremet

They better bring that shit overseas!

How is the UI for the PS4 version that came with DQXI? I know it's the mobile version of the game, but did they redo the UI to make it look like the original game's? It would be a real shame if it was the same shit mobile UI with controller support forced onto it.

It's the classic UI, though.

I'm gonna get all these on PS4 for the shear novelty.

Aww, fuck it. I'll buy them all (watch them be $15 a pop lol).

Anyone know if the nav controller works on the PS4? Would be the perfect way to play these.

Zee-Row

Banned
I beat Dragon Quest 2 on mobile and it's way more fair than the NES version. The last part of the game didn't have any cheap deaths.

Velcro Fly

If (when
BELIEVE
) these come West I'm probably buying them on both platforms eventually. 3DS to be able to play them all on one system. PS4 to play them on my TV and have trophies.

Aeana

3 is absolutely the best of the three, but you lose something if you play it without having played 1 and 2.

Psxphile

That's actually the one I was looking forward to most. Heard good things about III! It'll have to be really good to dethrone V and VIII.

Gameplay-wise it's great and it set the stage for future entries. But don't go in expecting a gripping overall narrative like those two. It's basically you and three hired goons traversing the world looking for wrongs to right and the strength to tackle the Big Bad, buoyed by the tasks you're given in every town you visit. It picks up a bit near the endgame but you'd have to at least played DQ1 to understand why.

3 is absolutely the best of the three, but you lose something if you play it without having played 1 and 2.
At the very least one should play the first game before moving on to 3. The rereleases of 1 have made the game considerably easier so you can breeze through it fairly quick.

Hugstable

Banned
in what way? It's not like you're building a game from a list of trophies. You just add trophies to an existing game.

It takes alot of time to make the trophies and test them, especially when it's rpgs games as they are quite lengthy. Would take more time to release the gane with trophies (which has been whats holding back the PS2 classics on PS4 from having a good release schedule and more of the rpg games)

Edit: oh your just talking about a plat, I still don't know why they do that, if trophies already there, don't know why they wouldnt just have a plat

Top Bottom