• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Zee-Row

Banned
NX support by Square-Enix already, almost a year before we will even know what it actually will be...
GODDAMN!

The Wii U initially had support from Ubi Soft , EA and Square Enix at launch. The bad sales are what changed that. We have to hope that NX has some sort of national media explosion like the original Wii did.

Rosur

That PS4 version does look nice, also cool that their supporting the NX.

Probably getting that PS4 version as my first dragon quest game.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
NX? Really?
How could Square announce and show something for the console before nintendo? XD

PS4 version reminds me of the Kite demo. Makes sense since both are running on the same engine.

yMEYGFb.jpg

They have similar setting, but graphically DQXI is not even close to that imo.

I haven't had the chance to try out Dragon Quest, unfortunately, but both the PS4 and 3DS versions of XI look really interesting to me. The 3DS version definitely looks farther along in development, so I wouldn't be surprised if it releases first.

Also that NX namedrop out of nowhere.

chrono01

Oh man, what a surprise. I loved the way DQXI looked on the PS4, and the 2D/3D variation on the 3DS is incredibly clever. I'll probably purchase a console version [either PS4 or NX] and a handheld version [3DS], if I'm given the chance that is. DQXI feels a lot like DQ8 to me, which isn't a surprise given how it looks/plays. I was hoping to see a battle on the PS4 version, but I guess it's too early on to see that. The 3DS version played as you expect, which is a good thing.

I'm impressed at pretty much everything I've seen so far. Consider me hyped.

I really hope there's a toggle to turn one of the viewpoints off for the 3ds version, the 2d version is really cool but having them both at once made me physically ill, there's no way I can play the game on 3ds if it doesn't let me switch to only one of them at a time.

Plan on buying both versions for now given they both make it to the U.S but with the contingent that the 3ds version can be played in one view style and not only both.

Esque7

Hope this means Nintendo is already shopping the NX around 3rd parties for support. I'll be getting both versions then, and hopefully X as well if it comes West.

bonkeng

ps4 graphics will be glorious.

3ds classic sprite looks damn sexy.

Now which version to get, that's my million dollar question.

If there's some difference, then i might get both.

Loudninja

This is pretty much the best announcement they could have went with to please all parties and stay true to the principles of DQ that Horii's used up until this point.

PS4 version for a new way of looking at DQ with those HD graphics and glorious world to experience and the 3DS version for that hint of nostalgia and warmth. Very smart of them.

As I pointed out in the conference thread, the 3DS version seems to use old assets from previous hand-held and 2D DQ games. So they decided to go with the 2D/3D linked gimmick to make up for the lack of HD graphics. Incredibly ingenious idea to do that.
Yep agreed so awesome.

CrisKre

They should release 3ds first and ps4/NX a bit later (looks like that version needs some time tbh). It's almost like getting a remake 8 years too early. Actually, since 3ds has 2d and 3d in it, it could be like getting 15 years worth of remakes :O I could dig it.

Also, it just occurred to me, if nx has a second screen it could also have the top down view (maybe). :O

Velcro Fly

God damn do both versions that we've seen look amazing in their own right already

Going to have to play and replay some of my favorite DQ games. I never did finish IX :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Shocked it's coming for NX too. Maybe Nintendo might be more open to helping the versions on their platforms get localized this way? Or maybe I just want that 2D/3D mix version too much...

This is pretty much the best announcement they could have went with to please all parties and stay true to the principles of DQ that Horii's used up until this point.

PS4 version for a new way of looking at DQ with those HD graphics and glorious world to experience and the 3DS version for that hint of nostalgia and warmth. Very smart of them.

As I pointed out in the conference thread, the 3DS version seems to use old assets from previous hand-held and 2D DQ games. So they decided to go with the 2D/3D linked gimmick to make up for the lack of HD graphics. Incredibly ingenious idea to do that.

Also encourages double dipping ;)

Porcile

Both versions look really nice. I'm pretty pumped now. I've been down on Dragon Quest for so long now, but I can feel the love rising again.

YuberMcGruber

Neo Member
Only DQ game i've played was DQVIII. Amazing game, will definitely pick this one up if it's got the open world elements, because DQVIII was a stunning game.

Sorry, peeps, I want a bit more info than the OP: did they mention how both versions relate? Like, is it two stories, or the same story presented differently?

Thoraxes

I wonder if the fact that the game is both PS4 and 3DS allowed them to say it was for NX, so Nintendo could keep being vague about what type of platform NX will be when they talk about it next year lol

antonz

Wasn't there a rumor around E3 that Nintendo had went to a major 3rd party in order to get a Major title for launch of the NX?

This would seem to be that

So i never played a Dragon quest game what should i expect from the PS4 version? Will i understand whats going on? is it real time or turnbased? puzzles? crafting?deep lore? rich world? wtf is dragon quest?

Zee-Row

Banned
The Dragon Quest series is one of those games that had to launch multiplatform. The sticking to one console thing just doesn't work anymore.

Acosta

I'm fully satisfied, both version looks great. PS4 version looks exactly as I hoped for. SE really went for best of both worlds and covering all bases.

Now I hope localization is in mind from the beginning.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I LOVE the idea with the 3D+2D on the 3DS. absolutly awesome. I'm hyped just because of that..

day one import for ps4 and 3DS.

Top Bottom