• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders screenshots

Walpurgis

Banned
Minecraft's obscenely low production values and insulting performance make it hard for me to play. This looks much better to me and makes that gameplay style more accessible. I hope it turns out well because I am greatly looking forward to it.

I've never been that interested in Minecraft or Terraria, but I really want to play this. Maybe I just want a next generation Dragon Quest game.

With only the first image we see more personality than entire Minecraft.

Wow, a lot of trolling in here for MC..

Minecraft's obscenely low production values and insulting performance make it hard for me to play. This looks much better to me and makes that gameplay style more accessible. I hope it turns out well because I am greatly looking forward to it.

Insulting performance? On what exactly? Sure, Java is not perfect for the PC version, but insulting?!

And MC actually looks a lot more cohesive than builders for now, why are they obscenely low? MC has some great music, texturework, enemy designs, biome variation... If they didnt get that part right it would not have been as iconic/marketable as it has proven to be.

Its OK to not like MC, but many here treat it like they do mobile gaming.

Kalren

Metal slimes probably have super rare material. Lord help me, the timesink this will be.

I was already down for this game.

...and then you mention metal slimes.....

7nWoIOX.jpg

DiegoPonga

Neo Member
Yeah, this game would have to pull of a miracle to even touch MC. I'm interested, but the "better than Minecraft" hyperbole is a little much.

Well, it depends on your personal criteria. I used to love Minecraft and I played it a lot before of this "Minecraft fashion fever". But it's true that for some people like me this game hadn't enough direction. Farming materials for building a house could be cool... until you just do not know what else to do. With friends it tried to be different, but finally wasn't.

What this DQ Builders is trying to do is bringing a similar concept with an objective, which is something I begged for Minecraft and never had...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, this game would have to pull of a miracle to even touch MC. I'm interested, but the "better than Minecraft" hyperbole is a little much.

Why is it hyperbole? Granted, it's not guaranteed to be better than Minecraft in terms of sales but it appears to have more charm, and it's definitely got better visuals. If it runs better and plays better then it will BE better. Sales mean nothing. The only possible reason you would call it 'hyperbole' and NOT simply say it's 'unknown at the moment' suggests to me that you're looking at the sales figures and not the game.

I say let's wait and see.

Walpurgis

Banned
Wow, a lot of trolling in here for MC..

Insulting performance? On what exactly? Sure, Java is not perfect for the PC version, but insulting?!

And MC actually looks a lot more cohesive than builders for now, why are they obscenely low? MC has some great music, texturework, enemy designs, biome variation... If they didnt get that part right it would not have been as iconic/marketable as it has proven to be.

Its OK to not like MC, but many here treat it like they do mobile gaming.
I meant that the performance should be perfect with graphics like that. I have heard about performance issues on the PS3 and the PSVita, which I find insulting on the same hardware as games like The Last of Us and Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Minecraft has very bad graphics so you would think that it would at least perform well. I have never seen great texture work in Minecraft.

I meant that the performance should be perfect with graphics like that. I have heard about performance issues on the PS3 and the PSVita, which I find insulting on the same hardware as games like The Last of Us and Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Minecraft has very bad graphics so you would think that it would at least perform well. I have never seen great texture work in Minecraft.

Minecraft has a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes, it is a far more complex beast compared to Uncharted Golden Abyss. it also performs fine on Vita after the world has loaded in.

Looks great. Though I'm not too crazy on the art style. But yeah looking forward to more details. Especially on how it sets itself apart from the perceived "Minecraft clone" feel.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. That looks like a Minecraft style game that I'd like to play.

nikos

I don't play Minecraft, but this looks like something I can get into. Looking forward to more info.

Arzehn

Looks great, I wonder how it will run on Vita and if the worlds will be cross-save or cross-play if there's online.

Looks like Minecraft but with characters that are actually relateable and not hard on the eyes.

I'm actually considering buying a Vita just for this game and DQ Heroes 2 since it might be a while before I can buy a PS4. I hope it isn't just the PS4 version that gets localized.

I will give this game a go, but why are they sticking with just cubes? Do they know the only reason Minecraft has limited shapes is because its a simple game on shitty Java? Put some more shapes for building, damn it!

Top Bottom