• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X announced for Windows PCs (Benchmark and Beta signups available now)

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
The benchmark tool runs surprisingly well on my low end Dell laptop, it only starts to struggle in 640x480 during the third heard that runs through at mid and low settings.

wrowa

Hoped for something more exciting to be honest. A PC port was pretty much the expected thing to happen. Wouldn't even surprise me if it was planned from the beginning; an MMO without a PC release is something very strange after all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hoped for something more exciting to be honest. A PC port was pretty much the expected thing to happen. Wouldn't even surprise me if it was planned from the beginning; an MMO without a PC release is something very strange after all.

One can't help but think the paltry WiiU sales have something to do with this. Of course, it's an MMO so when it was announced for WiiU, one of the first things I said that this should at least be on PC as well.

ahahahaha oh Nintendo.

What does that even mean? Every Square Enix MMO has been put on PC even XI in a very similar time frame from Playstation 2 exclusivity.

One can't help but think the paltry WiiU sales have something to do with this. Of course, it's an MMO so when it was announced for WiiU, one of the first things I said that this should at least be on PC as well.

Dragon Quest X

Wii Exclusivity - August 2, 2012 Publisher : Nintendo
Wii U - March 30, 2013 Publisher : Nintendo
PC September 26, 2013 Publisher : Square Enix

Final Fantasy XI

Playstation 2 Exclusivity - May 16, 2002 : Publisher SCE
PC -November 7, 2002 Publisher : Squaresoft

That Playstation 2 Failure? please just stop.

That benchmark was just adorable.

Got 14088 on fullscreen 1920x1080. Could probably be better, my system's not really optimized like it should be. (Bought stuff great for overclocking, haven't overclocked.)

LeleSocho

Banned
You really are though. Nothing to laugh about here. More like something to celebrate. Everyone wins with this, even Nintendo.

I don't know how nintendo can win with this but i'm sure there are lots of DQ fans that are happy because they finally can play the game through fan patches even if it's not localized

turnbuckle

OMG if this comes over to NA consider me interested. I had written the game off completely but absolutely would pick it up for PC if it gets localized.

I can't read a lick of Japanese - trying to install the benchmark. Hope I selected the right boxes during installation lol

---

It's working!

Other than the muddy textures on some things, this looks nice. I hope I'm not getting excited for nothing. I feel very happy just watching this :')

Hex

Banned
This is well and good for the game itself, but Nintendo would have been n better shape to get a localized Wii U version out before a pc version was available because now IF it ever does finally come to NA Wii U version sales will be affected by those who will either get pc version if it is day and date or wait for it.

I don't know how nintendo can win with this but i'm sure there are lots of DQ fans that are happy because they finally can play the game through fan patches

Easy, since the servers are shared. Online population will grow making the game world overall better experience. MMO are highly dependent on population. 2nd, this will give DQ MMO more exposure to people. Not everyone has a gaming PC. Getting the Wii U version is the less expensive option.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
It will make these guys life easier.

TsuqoYf.jpg

Farming Bots

RPGCrazied

How much is the sub in Japan? I really hope its B2P if it hits the west. I simply can't/won't pay monthly for another MMO.

LiquidMetal14

What does that even mean? Every Square Enix MMO has been put on PC even XI in a very similar time frame from Playstation 2 exclusivity.

Dragon Quest X

Wii Exclusivity - August 2, 2012 Publisher : Nintendo
Wii U - March 30, 2013 Publisher : Nintendo
PC September 26, 2013 Publisher : Square Enix

Final Fantasy XI

Playstation 2 Exclusivity - May 16, 2002 : Publisher SCE
PC -November 7, 2002 Publisher : Squaresoft

I am aware of this. I don't really have anything to say but this. Thank God it's coming to PC. I had no interest in a console version of this.

Gloam

Hope I can use my dude from the Japanese version if this comes over. You could do that kind of stuff with FFXI, right?

How much is the sub in Japan? I really hope its B2P if it hits the west. I simply can't/won't pay monthly for another MMO.

1000 per 30 days.

turnbuckle

How is this benchmark working? The number keeps going up and up. I'm watching in 1080p and it's at 74xx right now. Does it just stop at a certain point?

9722 high details, 1920x1080 fullscreen. And that story is too damn cute.

Was there an option to change the details? I just read the 1920x1080 (sorry, don't understand Japanese and I might have skipped over something)

This is well and good for the game itself, but Nintendo would have been n better shape to get a localized Wii U version out before a pc version was available because now IF it ever does finally come to NA Wii U version sales will be affected by those who will either get pc version if it is day and date or wait for it.
All five copies?

But now we know Nintendo is not localizing the game, Square you better not skip this one. T___T

Darryl

Banned
I don't know how nintendo can win with this but i'm sure there are lots of DQ fans that are happy because they finally can play the game through fan patches even if it's not localized

you're acting like nintendo got screwed over this game when we have no information about it and the deals surrounding it at all. maybe they exchanged exclusivity for something else. maybe the PC version was in the cards from the start. who knows

Playing on PC IS off-TV play. When I played FF XI, I had it installed on both my desktop and laptop. I used to play in bed on my laptop all the time.
Not so much off-TV, more like "in my hands like a handheld" play. Added to the fact that I don't have a Windows Laptop.

I just hope SE/Nintendo bite the bullet and release a Wii U version once the PC version is localized. Even if they only release it on eShop, I'd take it.

LiquidMetal14

Easy, since the servers are shared. Online population will grow making the game world overall better experience. MMO are highly dependent on population. 2nd, this will give DQ MMO more exposure to people. Not everyone has a gaming PC. Getting the Wii U version is the less expensive option.

As easy as this is on many PC's and laptops, I think more people might have a decent laptop to run this. And this is without really compromising many settings yet so I think this will scale very well with much older systems than it seems.

butman

The nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of nintendo is done.

THIS!
This decade Nintendo means portable.

LeleSocho

Banned

That would be true if you would need a gaming pc to run it but the game runs good enough even on a 5 y/o laptop
On Nintendo side this helps "only" the ones who already have the consoles

All five copies?

But now we know Nintendo is not localizing the game, Square you better not skip this one. T___T

Sony published Final Fantasy XI exclusively on Playstation 2 almost two years before the game came to the United States. There is still hope, although admittedly less.

turnbuckle

Fnmcfg8.png

There are settings above and below the 1920x1080 but they just appear as boxes. I'm not good with computer :p

The change my interest had in this game with the announcement and the benchmark compared to what it was before is ridiculous. I had written the game off completely, almost to the point where I didn't even "count" it as a DQ game. Whatever I had to tell myself to help me sleep at night.

But now, oh boy oh boy, this better get localized. My smile is bigger than the
metal babble's
in the screenshot I posted. :)

Sony published Final Fantasy XI exclusively on Playstation 2 almost two years before the game came to the United States. There is still hope, although admittedly less.
Nintendo is not going to translate and debug the game if it's not exclusive.

Publishing is a whole different story. :(

That would be true if you would need a gaming pc to run it but the game runs good enough even on a 5 y/o laptop
On Nintendo side this helps "only" the ones who already have the consoles

My point still applies. Some people dont even have labtops. Just cause the requirements are low dont mean they are having a great experience running the game. I personally fix pcs and labtops on the side and you wouldnt believe how bad people dont know how to take care of their pcs and labtops. Lol

HoosTrax

Oh mannn. I saw "Dragon Warrior" and "PC", got all excited as I really enjoyed the old school games. Didn't realize this was an MMO. Such a random franchise to come to PC though.

Edit: just felt so much nostalgia seeing metabble

rpmurphy

I hope this move will help increase the Dragon Quest fanbase overseas, but SE needs to first have it localized... ahahahaha
:(

LtOrange

MMOs do exceptionally better outside of Japan and this one is attached to a relatively well known series...how could this not be localized? The low system requirements opens up the door for a huge audience who can't play games like FFXIV, Tera, and pretty much every modern MMO. I can see this being announced for PC/Wii U once FFXIV is out the door.

Top Bottom