• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X announced for Windows PCs (Benchmark and Beta signups available now)

LeleSocho

Banned
People have given you plenty of decent explanations...

Read the thread again, the only explanation given were "Picking the game on nintendo is the less expensive solution" which is false and "State of pc gaming in japan" which is not influent given the low requirement nature of the game, all the others only benefits users and not the company

A year late port of DQX on PC has destroyed Nintendo's image? I really don't know anymore...

Please read again my post and point me where i said that this has destroyed Nintendo's image. Yeah... i've not said that.

mothball

It's true that it probably won't fly with hardcore MMO players in general, but for Dragon Quest fans, it's pretty great.

I'm actually enjoying it for what it is, which is basically a Dragon Quest with ATB combat. Definitely nice to kick back with and simply play without having to worry about all of the complexities of a big-name MMO.

I just wouldn't pay $10/month for it. Buy-to-play would also be nice, but then Square would still need to plan out a cash shop to see any long-term profitability, in which case they'd probably be better off with straight-up F2P.

I think my favorite part of people mistaking AniHawk's rendition of Amir0x for a serious post is that if they just read the rest of the page, they'd see that it's a joke and even find a link to the original. But even five pages later, they have to reply immediately.

extralite

I'm actually enjoying it for what it is, which is basically a Dragon Quest with ATB combat.

Which ATB game has free positioning of characters? Which ATB game after FFIV didn't have a bar filling up? Which ATB game start the count down for the next turn even when you're still making menu selections?

It's DQ in real time and with movement. Not ATB.

Porcile

Read the thread again, the only explanation given were "Picking the game on nintendo is the less expensive solution" which is false and "State of pc gaming in japan" which is not influent given the low requirement nature of the game, all the others only benefits users and not the company

Please read again my post and point me where i said that this has destroyed Nintendo's image. Yeah... i've not said that.

Am pretty sure this entire debate started with you going:

'ahahahaha oh Nintendo.'

but clearly it's all about the gamers now.

Aeana

dq10benchmark.jpg

Got a pretty decent benchmark score on high settings/1080p. Still downloading the beta client itself.

Meelow

Banned
It should have been day 1 for PC anyway.

However this shows DQ x Wii brand is finally over. I don't think DQ11 will be on WiiU.

This...This kinda shows nothing.

Final Fantasy XI was on PC and Xbox 360 as well as PS2 but Final Fantasy never left PS.

Hattori

Banned
This move seems inevitable with Square Enix and the Wii U not lighting the charts on fire. I'm still holding hope for a Wii U localization, but if it doesn't happen then I'm glad it's on PC as it's not region locked.

LeleSocho

Banned
Am pretty sure this entire debate started with you going:

'ahahahaha oh Nintendo.'

but clearly it's all about the gamers now.

You are imagining things, where i said is all about the gamers? Quite the opposite in fact, people give me gamers' benefits and tell are benefits for the company.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't have a JP Square Enix account, so I wasn't able to submit my beta test specs. Oh well.

So does this mean Nintendo has an iron grip on the franchise? It sure seemed like it.

Funny how DQX is exactly like FFXIV now. Both cross-gen and on PC.

Man I'm so glad I waited on posting a reply to the person with Amirox's quote... I've started being quite wary of those things so I don't end up on the ridiculed side of Gaf.

You are imagining things, where i said is all about the gamers? Quite the opposite in fact, people give me gamers' benefits and tell are benefits for the company.
Having a larger userbase helps DQX, and by extension helps Nintendo long term by having a more active MMO as a console exclusive. It just strengthens the game, and their consoles are the only ones that have it. I guess it's not a huge net benefit to Nintendo directly, but it's not really a hinderance either, especially at this point when DQX has already moved about 850k copies on their systems.

Would you say having ARR: FFXIV on PC hurts Sony? Would Sony really be better off long term if the game was only on PS3/4?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Funny how DQX is exactly like FFXIV now. Both cross-gen and on PC.
MMORPGs are long term prospects, meaning they often span across generations of consoles and it's in the developer's best interest to open them up to as wide a community as possible. FFXI was on multiple generations of console hardware and PC as well.

More versions of this game mean a localization is slightly more possible I guess, but SE sure doesn't seem to be interested in bringing Dragon Quest outside of Japan lately.

Aeana

Having a larger userbase helps DAX, and by extension helps Nintendo long term by having a more active MMO as a console exclusive. It just strengthens the game, and their consoles are the only ones that have it. I guess it's not a huge net benefit to Nintendo directly, but it's not really a hinderance either, especially at this point when DQX has already moved about 850k copies on their systems.

Would you say having ARR: FFXIV on PC hurts Sony? Would Sony really be better off long term if the game was only on PS3/4?

How does it strengthen the game? For an MMO, having it on as many platforms as possible is what would strengthen it.

What are the options in the third settings box? I don't even have the JP language pack installed, so all I see is squares.

Fullscreen and windowed. It defaults to windowed.

MMOs do exceptionally better outside of Japan and this one is attached to a relatively well known series...how could this not be localized?

The subscription-based MMO business model is in rapid decline, and DQ is a pretty niche IP in the West.

But there's probably at least a slightly better chance that it'll get a shot now anyway.

How does it strengthen the game? For an MMO, having it on as many platforms as possible is what would strengthen it.
Er, yes? Sorry if I didn't get that across, but that was my point.

And that more DQX players and a stronger DQX doesn't exactly hurt Nintendo.

If they brought this to PS4, I would spend however much money they want me to spend.

I always disliked how Square Enix kept Dragon Quest only on Nintendo systems

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, made a new S-E JP account, now I'm downloading the client. Curious to check this out.

Soriku

The nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of nintendo is done.

Man if the Nintendo brand was relying on this game it was doomed from the start.

DQ or not were people not expecting an MMO to get ported eventually?

Top Bottom