• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition |OT| S is for Special

Komatsu

DRAGONQUEST-LOGO.png

dq-general-information.png

Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Square Enix
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: September 27th, 2019
Retail Price: $59.99, €59.99 / £49.99

DQ-story.png

Taken from sublimit sublimit 's OT for the original game:

"A young man, about to participate in his village’s coming of age ceremony, heads off to the top of the local lookout point alongside his childhood friend. After a series of unexpected events, this intrepid adventurer learns he is the reincarnation of a legendary hero from a forgotten age.

The young hero sets forth into an unknown world on a journey to unravel the mystery of his past…but the welcome he receives is far from warm.

Upon revealing his identity to the King, the hero is branded as “The Darkspawn” and hunted by a relentless army.

Fleeing from his pursuers, the hero assembles a band of endearing adventurers who believe he is actually the Luminary reborn. He and his newfound companions embark on a quest that will take them across continents and over vast oceans as they learn of an ominous threat facing the world. "

---

From the Wiki:

The game is set in the world of Erdrea, and begins as the kingdom of Dundrasil is invaded and destroyed by an army of monsters. The protagonist, an infant during the attack, is among those who attempt to escape, but becomes separated and ends up floating down a river and is found by an old man known as Chalky in the village of Cobblestone. Being adopted by his daughter, Amber, the protagonist is then raised in the village. As a teenager, he eventually participates in a coming-of-age tradition by climbing the mountain Cobblestone Tor with his childhood friend Gemma. During the trek, they are attacked by monsters and while fighting to protect Gemma, a mark on his hand glows, allowing him to summon lightning to defend themselves. This starts a series of events that leads our young hero to discover the truth of his parentage and to find his destiny.

----
dq-CHARStitle.png

Character images and descriptions taken from sublimit sublimit 's OT for the original game:

dq-chars.png

The Mysterious Old Man
Rab
"An old gentleman swathed in mystery. Shouldering a large back pack, he appears to be nothing but a simple traveller, but when battle beckons he wields high level magic and ferocious martial arts skills. "

The Laid-Back Healer
Serena
"A dependable healer who supports the party with recovery magic. Serena is calm, unhurried and compassionate, but also slightly hapless. She often causes worry for her companion Veronica. "

The Noble Martial Artist
Jade
"An expert martial artist who travels the world with Rab to fulfil a mysterious goal.Her flashing kicks boast an unequalled power, but her elegant beauty and dignified demeanor hint that she is more than just a skilled fighter…"

The Destined Hero
You
"A young man raised in the sleepy village of Cobblestone. Upon participating in the village's coming-of-age ceremony, he learns a surprising truth: he is the reincarnation of the legendary "Luminary" - a hero who saved the world in ages past - and has a grand destiny awaiting him... Eager to find out for himself what the Luminary really is and what his destiny means, the young man leaves his village behind and sets out into the wider world. "

The Reliable Partner-in-Crime
Erik
"A blue-haired thief who abandons his lucrative life of crime to team up with the hero. Although a little wild and rough mannered, Erik is a loyal and compassionate friend. As a seasoned traveller, he guides the hero and supports him along his way. "

The Fearless Young Mage
Veronika
"A gifted young girl who wields powerful offensive spells. Fearless and a bit of a tomboy, she will stand up to anyone, be they an adult or even a fearsome monster. Much more mature than her appearance would suggest, Veronica loathes being treated like a child. "

The Entertainer Extraordinaire
Sylvando
"A travelling performer with a free spirit. Always cheery and positive, he is the mood maker of the group. Sylvando puts the skills he learned as a travelling entertainer to good use, expertly wielding a wide variety of weapons and abilities. His dream is to bring a smile to the faces of people all around the world with his art. "

dq-gameplay.png

dq-gameplay-shots.png

dq-trailers.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Very Nice |OT|!! I highly enjoyed the game on my PS4, so much so I got for Switch to experience it again, the extra features is just icing on the cake.

alf717

Played some of the demo and was excited when the game arrived today. I think I might wait on this to finish up DQ8 on 3DS first though. I remember back when it was announced that DQXI S was coming to Switch. I always felt the "S" stood for Symphonic but with all the recent news I'm now convinced it stands for Satoru.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Got mine today!

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense it's on Switch. Nintendo basically had a whole exclusive version of the game on 3DS. I'm starting to think Nintendo helped fund that. Then SE just ported the 3DS one to Switch and combined it with the PS4 one to make one of the best ports of all time. A port-Voltron.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Got mine today!

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense it's on Switch. Nintendo basically had a whole exclusive version of the game on 3DS. I'm starting to think Nintendo helped fund that. Then SE just ported the 3DS one to Switch and combined it with the PS4 one to make one of the best ports of all time. A port-Voltron.
Yeah as a ps4 owner.
This game just feels better on switch.
Esp the lite 🥳

KàIRóS

I'm not double dipping on this 1, I'm playing through Code Vein and I need to finish that in 2 weeks before Indivisible comes out.

DQXI was my GOTY last year, it's really good, a proper comeback to traditional JRPGs, have fun Nintenbros, 100 hours of fun are waiting in this game.

A little tip: if you guys play the first trilogy of DQ games that were also released today, you'll enjoy the lore of DQXI more.

Last edited:

Spukc

I'm not double dipping on this 1, I'm playing through Code Vein and I need to finish that in 2 weeks before Indivisible comes out.

DQXI was my GOTY last year, it's really good, a proper comeback to traditional JRPGs, have fun Nintenbros, 100 hours of fun are waiting in this game.

A little tip: if you guys play the first trilogy of DQ games that was also released today, you'll enjoy the lore of DQXI more.
Tbh i would not touch those crappy mobile phone ports.

Really a waste

Coflash

Loving it so far. Played it on PC a while back, but as soon as I found it was coming to the Switch I waited. It runs decently in handheld mode so I'm pretty happy with it.

WishUWouldTryMe

Neo Member
Kind of annoys me that even though this is the most content rich version of the game, it is also the worst looking version graphically. I'll buy it but I hope they update PS4/PC versions down the line

Tbh i would not touch those crappy mobile phone ports.

Really a waste

If only they would give us the iOS/android ports of IV,V,VI which are basically just the DS games with much better resolution and IV has translated party chat.

*sigh* Those are actually good mobile ports to.

FStubbs

The irony is the mobile versions of 1-3 have decent sprites and the Switch versions have the garbage sprites used in mobile FF6.

Shouta

I've got my copy. Been awhile since I played it since I played the JP version so I'm pretty happy to hop back in for a second playthrough.

Spukc

If only they would give us the iOS/android ports of IV,V,VI which are basically just the DS games with much better resolution and IV has translated party chat.

*sigh* Those are actually good mobile ports to.
Yeah spot on loved em on ds

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing the demo of this and it's surprising me just how good it looks on Switch in portable mode. I bought it on PS4 at launch, but the lack of voices (JP version) kind of turned me off to be honest. Sure, the lower resolution makes things look a bit soft, but honestly that kind of adds something to the overall style in my opinion.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I will likely use one of my two vouchers on this game. I’m waiting to finish Link’s Awakening first, however.

RPGCrazied

Just got the boat. Loving it. There is some performance issues in bigger towns, and in some cutscenes it can chug, but exploration and fighting the fps is solid.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ve put about 5.5 hours into this so far. It’s my first proper play through of a Dragon Quest game.

I’m really enjoying it. The art style of the characters and world is lovely. The world layout is a bit more linear than I expected and not so open-world. This disappointed me at first, but I don’t mind it now. It reminds me of Twilight Princess’ map layouts.

The sound design, world building and cutscenes are magical. Although, I can’t seem to get the game to use my subwoofer in my 5.1 sound system. The game doesn’t seem to use surround sound properly.

Anywho, this is going to be a very fun time sink. Thanks for doing the OT.

You guys are in for a great time. I spent 150 hours doing literally everything in this game last year. I guess I would just give one piece of advice, which is: "don't grind." The game lasts forever even when you don't, it's full of content. More importantly, the challenge level from bosses is much more interesting and still not that hard when you move through the game at a brisk pace instead of grinding. Have fun!

If you want to go for doing every single thing and want to be max level to do it, an extremely efficient way to level up a lot is introduced in the the late part of the post credits second game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I’ve put about 5.5 hours into this so far. It’s my first proper play through of a Dragon Quest game.

I’m really enjoying it. The art style of the characters and world is lovely. The world layout is a bit more linear than I expected and not so open-world. This disappointed me at first, but I don’t mind it now. It reminds me of Twilight Princess’ map layouts.

The sound design, world building and cutscenes are magical. Although, I can’t seem to get the game to use my subwoofer in my 5.1 sound system. The game doesn’t seem to use surround sound properly.

Anywho, this is going to be a very fun time sink. Thanks for doing the OT.
The audio is definitely the weakest in the entire series.

Naibel

Gotta finish Link's Awakening and platinum Astral Chain before diving right in into that wonderful world of DQ XI !

I played the demo last August and got hooked like absolute crazy. This is the first DQ game that really got me going, as the others just didn't click with me for whatever reason. DQ VII on the 3DS was such a snooze-fest it's not even funny.

I just can't wait to resume my adventure, but my backlog (and my wallet T_T ) just won't allow it !

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I didn’t get too far in the ps4 version. I grabbed this to play while watching football, news, etc on TV. The Switch is a big resolution drop coming from the PS4, but it also doesn’t have that really bad soundtrack so I consider it an even trade off.

Shaqazooloo

I'll have to check out the demo before I decide to give this a go, first impressions off of just watching a few video's, I'll probably like the gameplay but i'm disappointed that not all of the dialogue is voiced. Spoiled by Fire Emblem I guess...

Spukc

I finally reached the best mini game.
Wasted 35 hours on the ps4 version.

Heeeere we go! 🤣🤣

Again 🐴

Giant plot hole pissing me off.

you go back in time and tell gramps the king hates you.

"Gee if id have known i would have told you everything"

Dude... You just said bye to the young me five minutes ago. Go tell him now!!!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Giant plot hole pissing me off.

you go back in time and tell gramps the king hates you.

"Gee if id have known i would have told you everything"

Dude... You just said bye to the young me five minutes ago. Go tell him now!!!
Gramps will mention that in his letter you find later on.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Some of these enemy names make me chuckle, never knew DQ had so many puns. Also some of these enemy crowd controls that make your party members laugh or dance was funny too! :lollipop_grinning: :lollipop_grinning: :lollipop_grinning:
I always looked at screenshots of DQ enemies and wondered if the games would be too cartoony and childlike to be enjoyable, but after finally playing one, I’m finding it so charming and look forward to seeing what the next monster is going to be. It just works, hard to explain.

OMG OMG You can change the overworld theme to the theme from DQVIII. THIS IS A GAME CHANGER.

DQVIII's overworld theme is soooooooooooooooo much better than DQXI's

Top Bottom