• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI shipments + digital sales pass 3 million

KtSlime

I have a feeling half of the people in this thread don't care about DQ and merely use it as console war weaponry.

More than half. Sure, they will say "we want the game" now, but when it goes on sale they will say "oh, it got poor reviews", or "it should have came out earlier, not buying", or "missing features I expect in a AAA game". It's how it goes every time.

Glad to see that DQ is still selling well.

Incredible game, so happy it is performing great. We need more solo, party-focused DQ in this world ! ;)

Also, looking at that pic in the OP, SE seems to push the Yosshi creature. Thinking about it, I think it is actually the first time there is a "mascot-like" creature (a la chocobo or moogle) in DQ that is not a monster.

Reorx

I can see DQ11 selling well in the west, if SE plays their card right. The west is hungry for traditional JRPG.

Striek

It's interesting. Speaking of Japan only they probably would have sold the same with just a 3DS version with much lower development costs. But I hope this staetegy pays off and makes Dragon Quest more popular in the west

Probably already paid off with the much higher price on PS4.

TsuWave

I have a feeling half of the people in this thread don't care about DQ and merely use it as console war weaponry.

Odd comment, no? Isn't it multi platform? why would people do that? And how did you get that from this thread? I don't get it

Pepboy

No one's really bringing up 3ds vs ps4 breakdown in this thread. Most posts seem to be more about that it's surprising how popular DQ is within Japan.

AmyS

Good. I was hoping to see the latest DQ XI numbers after the ones reported a couple days after launch, and there they are, congrats!

DQ has been winning me over the past couple years. Never really tried the main entries but the various spinoffs, Heroes and Builders were a lot of fun so I'm really excited for XI. Good to see it do so well.

Odd comment, no? Isn't it multi platform? why would people do that? And how did you get that from this thread? I don't get it
You must of missed some of the previous threads that basically devolved into 3DS vs PS4 pissing contests.

Anyway on topic this is fantastic, I intend to buy it for PS4 when it released in the US, my GF doesn't know what the hell Dragon Quest is but she's sold on Akira Toriyama's art already.

PS4 games have a much higher digital ratio than 3DS games.
Expect something like 10% for the former and 3-5% for the latter.

Is digital in Japan a lot lower than the rest of the world then?

The average for PS4 is about 30% digital now if I remember correctly. EA are even expecting 40% on consoles by the end of the year, last I heard.

gtj1092

You must of missed some of the previous threads that basically devolved into 3DS vs PS4 pissing contests.

Anyway on topic this is fantastic, I intend to buy it for PS4 when it released in the US, my GF doesn't know what the hell Dragon Quest is but she's sold on Akira Toriyama's art already.

What does that have to do with this thread? Great sales for the game. Can't wait for it to cone to the US. Will be there day 1.

Fukuzatsu

More than half. Sure, they will say "we want the game" now, but when it goes on sale they will say "oh, it got poor reviews", or "it should have came out earlier, not buying", or "missing features I expect in a AAA game". It's how it goes every time.

Glad to see that DQ is still selling well.

Well that's the thing. DQ always sells well in Japan, but I expect the reviews to go something like this:
Presented very nicely with a modern graphics engine and stable performance. However, low-fidelity music choices and a lack of any voice-acting make the hours-long RPG feel about 10 years older than it should. On the gameplay side of things, this is more or less the same turn-based JRPG combat players familiar with the series have come to know, with some slight changes here and there. The story is pretty boilerplate, and essentially if you liked the previous DQ games, you will probably also enjoy this.

You know, solid 84ish metacritic.

Raw64life

Deserves every last sale. Also nice to see 4 Dragon Quest threads on the first page. Should be like that more often.

So are they counting both the 3DS and PS4 versions as one game? Because from my understanding they are completely separate games but with the same story. Are there actually any assets shared between them?

Either way, awesome news. I've been making my way through the DQ series this year on mobile and am really enjoying them.

Rolf NB

Really? How surprising! I'd assumed it would be higher than the rest of the world, given how ubiquitous mobile games are over there.
3DS has been the dominant dedicated game platform the past few years, and that's a Nintendo system so, yeah, not surprising at all.

_Ryo_

From what I have seen DQXI is a much, much, much better game than FFXV. And its fields and towns are gorgeous.

It's a truly a beautiful classic turned based JRPG made for modern times.

Wish FFRemake would go the same route but its not gonna happen.

So yea, It looks like the sales are well deserved.

Shin

Banned
Do we have a chart or something as to how much each installation sold upon release?
I find 3M sold in 1 week or whatever in Japan alone rather a lot, there's the rest of Asia, Europe, NA and the rest of the world still.
Plus Switch version down the road as well.

Damn Square chill out , ffxv,nier automata,Dq11
Selling good,reviewing well.

Hopefully kh3 is actually next year too what a time to be alive

ethomaz

Banned
It's big but for it to outperform DQIX in Japan (biggest DQ title, 4.2m counting the greatest hits) is a feat yet to be seen.
Launch with digital is probably close to DQIX or even better. Like I said before with Switch this game will probably be the best selling DQ game.

Not for Dragon Quest.
It is close to the best selling DQ in Japan... at worst on pair with the second best seller.

True but DQXI will be lucky to sell 2/3 of what FFXV's lifetime worldwide sales ends up being when it's all said and done.
With Japan only and without Switch DQXI already reached 2/3 of FFXV WW launch shipments.

It will be pretty hard to it not reach 2/3 of FF XV WW sales with only Japan.

And my prediction after WW launch put it over FFXV WW.

BadWolf

Excellent, hopefully they will keep the pace going and the next mainline entry doesn't take forever to come out.

Damn Square chill out , ffxv,nier automata,Dq11
Selling good,reviewing well.

Hopefully kh3 is actually next year too what a time to be alive

Square is on freaking fire this gen.

Love it.

Busaiku

With the Switch version and stronger performance in Asia (not including Japan), I think this could be the first time a Dragon Quest game outsells a Final Fantasy worldwide.

Yjynx

It's big but for it to outperform DQIX in Japan (biggest DQ title, 4.2m counting the greatest hits) is a feat yet to be seen.

Not for Dragon Quest.

It's interesting. Speaking of Japan only they probably would have sold the same with just a 3DS version with much lower development costs. But I hope this staetegy pays off and makes Dragon Quest more popular in the west

I've always wondered on how people could easily said "DQ would always sell on Japan" "It's not even matched DQ IX!"

Do people forgotten the existence of previous MAIN entries DQ X or something? They made 4 version of that games (yes with the WII and 3DS included) and only managed to sold around 1 million....

There was no guarantee DQ XI would be a success. No matter at which version being released.

BadWolf

I've always wondered on how people could easily said "DQ would always sell on Japan" "It's not even matched DQ IX!"

Do people forgotten the existence of previous MAIN entries DQ X or something? They made 4 version of that games (yes with the WII and 3DS included) and only managed to sold around 1 million....

There is no guarantee DQ XI would be a success. No matter at which version being released.

DQX is an MMO, it's not comparable.

They even had to add more solo content to the game because the players vastly preferred it to multiplayer.

DQ is basically a single player series for Japan.

Yjynx

DQX is an MMO, it's not comparable.

They even had to add more solo content to the game because the players vastly preferred it to multiplayer.

DQ is basically a single player series for Japan.
Doesn't matter. If the brand is as strong as what people claimed it to be. The sales wouldn't be so abysmal.

killatopak

Is DQXI the first game to have multiple platform on release date? If so then the numbers are actually disappointing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

There was no guarantee DQ XI would be a success. No matter at which version being released.

Are you kidding? That's a freaking subscription-based MMO. You must not know anything about Japan sales if you think that's in any way comparable to a mainline Dragon Quest game.

Edit:

Doesn't matter. If the brand is as strong as what people claimed it to be. The sales wouldn't be so abysmal.

Yeah, ok. You don't know anything about Japan sales.

If sales were so abysmal, why did they keep investing in the game to this day, even making multiple SKUs of it? Please educate yourself on a subject before condescendingly mass-quoting people who know what they're talking about.

I have a feeling sales will be disappointing in the West due to the lack of modern features (VO, orchestral score, etc.). Not to mention skipping X will confuse the casual audience and is hard to justify in marketing and statements.

I have a feeling sales will be disappointing in the West due to the lack of modern features (VO, orchestral score, etc.). Not to mention skipping X will confuse the casual audience and is hard to justify in marketing and statements.

Lack of VO would probably hurt if they dont put it in during localization, but i dont think the number thing really matters.

Didnt Final Fantasy go straight from III to VII?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I know it's Japan so it shouldn't be a surprise, but it warms my heart that this near and dear series is still going strong. I'd love to see the age demographic breakdown for the last 3 entries.

Contrast it with FF in how *not* to manage a series with long history.

Top Bottom