• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2: IGN First 10 Hours Preview

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
(Claimed) insider source on Reddit says no 60FPS on console at launch. 30fps only.

I believe it because :
Based on the videos I've seen, such as this IGN hype vid, I believe it. It doesn't look 60fps.
Exactly.

Besides doubling down on the no co-op, aesthetics and gameplay systems, apparently, they also doubled down on the technical part - remember the widescreen black bars on the ps360 versions (by lowering the resolution as to have the framerate not shit itself) ? Remember the...less than stellar framerate the 1st game had especially on the PS3 ? Well...

I get it, it's the RE engine which hasn't been used on such a large scale game, in fact all RE engine games have been "room to room" affairs with loading in-between but still, there's no way I'm playing an action game in the year of our lord 2024 at 30fps (and on an OLED to boot), I just won't.
Couple that with the fact that some animations look actually worse than the 1st game's (walking animations and Fighter ones look like the character has just shat himself/is wearing Pampers) and the 70 Eurodollars price tag and...yeah, I'm out.

By the look of things, this is yet another game to be played on the upcoming PS5 Pro (or PC) if you want to have the best experience.

And before you start to dog pile me, let me say that I was there day1 and a big fan one of the original and bought both versions (DD + Dark arisen ) on the X360 back in the day.

Anyway, suits me well since by the time the Pro releases this will be around the 30 Eurodollars mark.

Cheers

Last edited:

Hugare

I was against limiting fast travel, but now that I saw in the video that quest givers approach you organically, it makes sense

If you were fast travelling around, how would quest givers approach you? It's something that would really affect the game's design

Killjoy-NL

I was against limiting fast travel, but now that I saw in the video that quest givers approach you organically, it makes sense

If you were fast travelling around, how would quest givers approach you? It's something that would really affect the game's design
Sounds like a gimmicky design to me. Instead of you walking up to a NPC, they now approach you and force you to talk to them.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There is a quote by Einstein:

main-qimg-27a3ebf1797714b18280f252691cfef7-lq

Except Einstein never said that.

Next time, remember the wise words of Abraham Lincoln.

80vmPa7.jpg

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
They’re losing me with the diminishing max health with every hit until rest. I hate that mechanic.
Yep. I’m definitely waiting on this now. I was on the fence, but now I’m out for a bit. Too many good games coming out soon without garbage play time extenders included.

pepodmc_

Oh man, this looks better and better. I hope this one causes some of the people saying combat looks stiff, bad, etc in other threads reconsider.

Edit: I'll be surprised if there isn't a good way to obtain plenty of ferrystones later in the game; possibly even an eternal one for all the fast travel you want. Though that might be a NG+ type of thing.
as if souls games have great combat LOL
And they dare to criticize dragon dogma in THAT aspect? XD

Variahunter

Every game design decisions seems to have been carefully done by Itsuno and his team, to make each player's decision matters. Thus giving the world an organic feel.
This is honestly one of my most hyped game of the year, with Rise of the Ronin releasing on the same day...
And Visions of Mana this summer. A-RPG fans are eating in 2024 !

(Claimed) insider source on Reddit says no 60FPS on console at launch. 30fps only.

That better not be true!! Nooooo! That would seriously CRUSH me if that's the case. I've been so excited for this because FINALLY I'd be able to play Dragons Dogma at 60 fps ....the graphics are nice but not "amazing" so everyone's been thinking 60 fps...

This fucking generation man...these consoles are WEAK!!

I believe it because :

Exactly.

Besides doubling down on the no co-op, aesthetics and gameplay systems, apparently, they also doubled down on the technical part - remember the widescreen black bars on the ps360 versions (by lowering the resolution as to have the framerate not shit itself) ? Remember the...less than stellar framerate the 1st game had especially on the PS3 ? Well...

I get it, it's the RE engine which hasn't been used on such a large scale game, in fact all RE engine games have been "room to room" affairs with loading in-between but still, there's no way I'm playing an action game in the year of our lord 2024 at 30fps (and on an OLED to boot), I just won't.
Couple that with the fact that some animations look actually worse than the 1st game's (walking animations and Fighter ones look like the character has just shat himself/is wearing Pampers) and the 70 Eurodollars price tag and...yeah, I'm out.

By the look of things, this is yet another game to be played on the upcoming PS5 Pro (or PC) if you want to have the best experience.

And before you start to dog pile me, let me say that I was there day1 and a big fan one of the original and bought both versions (DD + Dark arisen ) on the X360 back in the day.

Anyway, suits me well since by the time the Pro releases this will be around the 30 Eurodollars mark.

Cheers

SAME. NO 60 FPS NO BUY! Fuck that and they have the nerve to charge 70 bucks taboot.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Disappointing if there isn’t 60 fps, but I’ve waited too long for this. I’m in regardless.

Shut0wen

as if souls games have great combat LOL
And they dare to criticize dragon dogma in THAT aspect? XD
Honestly theres a interview ign made with the director literally asking him why it doesnt have DS combat, guy basically says dmc reboot had better combat that didnt have a lock on feature which he preferred

Sentenza

I believe it because :

Exactly.

Cheers
Eh, conversely the first one was also one of the SMOOOTHEST things I’ve seen running at 165 fps on a PC and I’m expecting more or less the same for the sequel.

Hardly any concern there.

Complistic

Won't buy until there's a 60 fps mode. RE engine runs great, there's no excuse. I'd buy the PC version except they'll probably add malware to it down the road so that options out too. Nice work Capcom. 😕

StereoVsn

Imagine being so butthurt that you can't fast travel all willy nilly and actually have to play the game.
People have other shit to do vs having to run back all the time. First game kind of sucked for back tracking.

That plus Capcom’s stance on mods and DRM are going to make me push this off until it hits a good sales price.

Kacho

The first was wasn't amazing the play. It was pretty janky.
Janky how? The gameplay was the star of the show. Responsive, intuitive, and a little ahead of its time with the ability to climb on monsters and target specific body parts. Attack a leg enough and the monster will fall over. Shit was dope. It has depth and nuance. Of all the complaints I've heard about Dragon's Dogma over the years, combat isn't one of them.

Mister Wolf

Nah, day one. Video compares the world’s exploration akin to BotW and Elden Ring; there’s nothing more immersive than exploring an interesting world.

Fast travel takes away from that immersion imo.

Any yet those two games have fast travel unlocked from the beginning without prerequisites and will shit all over this game in every metric of success we have available to quantify. Throw in Baldur's Gate 3 with the other two as well.

Last edited:
Nah, day one. Video compares the world’s exploration akin to BotW and Elden Ring; there’s nothing more immersive than exploring an interesting world.

Fast travel takes away from that immersion imo.
Dishonest comparison.

System they have here is more similar to Skyrim. You get actual quests here via exploration.

iCodec

Any yet those two games have fast travel unlocked from the beginning without prerequisites and will shit all over this game in every metric of success we have available to quantify. Throw in Baldur's Gate 3 with the other two as well.
And that’s fine; folks need to learn to slow down and enjoy a game. I mean, for fuck sakes, if you're playing an open-world fantasy RPG, an immersive experience is a must.

And I, for one, can't wait to never use a ferrystone; I'll walk or hitch a ride on someone's cart and enjoy every moment.

GymWolf

Fast travel is usually available after you discover a place so you lose nothing in term of exploration and awe, you just lose going back and forward in the same zone with the same low level boring enemies (especially if enemy variety/ia is dogshit like the first game) and pawns saying the same shit over and over and over.

Nothing awe inspiring in that.

Also lmao at picking zelda or elden as examples when they both have streamlined fast travel.

You don't like fast travel? Don't use it.

Double lmao at thinking that having fast travel make level design or other shit worse...news flash, the game has fast travel, and if it get easier to use the more you play like the first game doesn't this defeat your theory? So the more you play the worse the game gets because you can fast travel more easily?

Hilarious.

P.s. this is without even considering the fact that you don't have mounts and they still have that bullshit stamina system during exploration so you have to stop to take a breath every 30 sec, there is nothing skillful or fun in stamina management during a fucking run in the woods (even worse when your pawn get you up from being tired all the time and develop bad ia traits)

Last edited:

Xtib81

Never played the first one, but to me it looks dated. Mouvement, animations looks clunky as hell, and visually it is subpar. It honestly looks like a last gen title with slightly better visuals.

Mister Wolf

Fast travel is usually available after you discover a place so you lose nothing in term of exploration and awe, you just lose going back and forward in the same zone with the same low level boring enemies (especially if enemy variety/ia is dogshit like the first game) and pawns saying the same shit over and over and over.

Nothing awe inspiring in that.

Also lmao at picking zelda or elden as examples when they both have streamlined fast travel.

You don't like fast travel? Don't use it.

Double lmao at thinking that having fast travel make level design or other shit worse...news flash, the game has fast travel, and if it get easier to use the more you play like the first game doesn't this defeat your theory? So the more you play the worse the game gets because you can fast travel more easily?

Hilarious.

Itsuno and his fans think he is some kind of genius for coming up with Ferrystones, when all that's going to happen is it will cause the game to sell less copies. Ditto for refusing to add co-op.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Good Zelda example would be Ocarina of Time where you earn your fast travel points via learning songs that warp you there not to mention riding Epona at high speeds is fun which you also need to unlock for use. Zelda: Fallout Edition and Elden as you say have streamlined fast travel and if you use fast travel we will say 80% of your playtime then the game world is boring to traverse overall.

Lots of people in here complaining about having to earn fast travel and that it'll cost ingame currency or have the caveat of carrying a Ferrystone with them as a turnoff is laughable. When Ferrystones are actual large magical objects you will place in the game world to teleport to.

It's like watching someone argue that a good restaurant is an awful place to eat at because they can't stand the ambience or the wait time to get a great dinner and just want fast food so they get their food immediately and wolf it down. Don't even take the time to enjoy it.

StueyDuck

Janky how? The gameplay was the star of the show. Responsive, intuitive, and a little ahead of its time with the ability to climb on monsters and target specific body parts. Attack a leg enough and the monster will fall over. Shit was dope. It has depth and nuance. Of all the complaints I've heard about Dragon's Dogma over the years, combat isn't one of them.
the gameplay was good, but physically pressing the buttons and having the characters do the fun gameplay was a horrid experience.

GymWolf

Itsuno and his fans think he is some kind of genius for coming up with Ferrystones, when all that's going to happen is it will cause the game to sell less copies. Ditto for refusing to add co-op.
I'm ok with no coop, the pawns are a big part of what make the game "special".

They only need to make them less retarded and ditch that pawns inclination bullshit or make it way less volatile, i'm replaying the game now and it's one of the stupidest thing i saw in a videogame.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Good Zelda example would be Ocarina of Time where you earn your fast travel points via learning songs that warp you there not to mention riding Epona at high speeds is fun which you also need to unlock for use. Zelda: Fallout Edition and Elden as you say have streamlined fast travel and if you use fast travel we will say 80% of your playtime then the game world is boring to traverse overall.

Lots of people in here complaining about having to earn fast travel and that it'll cost ingame currency or have the caveat of carrying a Ferrystone with them as a turnoff is laughable. When Ferrystones are actual large magical objects you will place in the game world to teleport to.

It's like watching someone argue that a good restaurant is an awful place to eat at because they can't stand the ambience or the wait time to get a great dinner and just want fast food so they get their food immediately and wolf it down. Don't even take the time to enjoy it.
I think it's more laughable for people to get mad when other people want a fast travel system in a big open world game tbh.

And i don't think that using fast travel means that you have a boring world to explore, some people just don't wanna waste time by passing over and over in zones they already visited and eviscerated.

There is no fun in walking in the same street 100 times and fighting the same low level goblin and wolves for the 100x time, you can't convince me otherwise, and even games with super interesting world have these "streets" in spades, no matter how carefully builded is your world.

If this was a 10-20 hours game i could understand because the repetiton never really sets in, but in a 100-200+ hour game? fuck that.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I'm ok with no coop, the pawns are a big part of what make the game "special".

They only need to make them less retarded and ditch that pawns inclination bullshit or make it way less volatile.

Co-op and the Pawn system(A.I companions/trainer) are not mutually exclusive. When the casual customer sees this game in action, we know what they're going to ask. They asked it when the first game released. Co-op isn't a dealbreaker for me. I'm just certain the lack of it will hurt this game's reception.

Top Bottom