• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub February 28th?

Rich!

Yeah, fucken next gen. I'm excited for games like this, Infamous and Destiny, but I'm not paying about 50% more than I'm currently paying this gen.

This always happens though, really. I spent £65 on Donkey Kong 64, and Majora's Mask was £50.

And those weren't even launch games! Taking inflation into account, the N64 era was fucking ridiculous.

RulkezX

Bear in mind that's from GAME, the only store charging 55 for games.

I went in for Forza before Xmas , saw all games were 55 and went home and ordered it from Amazon for 42.

I'd also wager the price is wrong in general , Driveclub was never intended to be a full retail title , was it ? I thought it was free with plus and there was an upgrade fee if you wanted the full package.

Rich!

Bear in mind that's from GAME, the only store charging 55 for games.

I went in for Forza before Xmas , saw all games were 55 and went home and ordered it from Amazon for 42.

I'd also wager the price is wrong in general , Driveclub was never intended to be a full retail title , was it ? I thought it was free with plus and there was an upgrade fee if you wanted the full package.

Yeah. I'm glad really, as I get to properly play the PS+ version before I decide whether to buy it or not.

viveks86

It is full retail price at retail. Plus subscribers could go with the free with plus option and upgrade (there were hints of a discount compared to retail. Nothing confirmed).

Piggus

£54.85 lmfao

Can someone explain how that even happens? In the US retailers try to compete for the LOWEST price and if you try to fuck your customers in the arse they'll take their business elsewhere. Is there no pricing standard for games in the UK? I got all my PS4 launch games for $40 each. :/

Oh how I feel for our brethren across the pond...

EDIT: So it's only GAME selling games at those prices? Are they fucking stupid? Or do people think it's their only option?

That's like Gamestop saying "okay we're gonna start selling all new games at $70 now! Because people are totally too stupid to know that Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon, Best Buy, Fred Meyers, and a million other stores also sell video games. Nope, we're totally the only place around that sells games so fuck our customers."

Moronic.

RulkezX

It is full retail price at retail. Plus subscribers could go with the free with plus option and upgrade (there were hints of a discount compared to retail. Nothing confirmed).

Where was it confirmed as full price at retail. There is no point in offering it with plus if the content is so minimal they can justify charging full retail price for it ( which with the digital store prices will be £59.99)

A decent + version coupled with something like a £25 upgrade would see the IP sell a tion and spawn a franchise, a glorified demo and full retail/digital store price will see it struggle badly.

If what you are saying is true then I don't see the point in the plus version existing past Sony having something to say they are giving away with that months plus, because it 'll be a demo , not a limited *plus* version.

bombshell

Where was it confirmed as full price at retail. There is no point in offering it with plus if the content is so minimal they can justify charging full retail price for it ( which with the digital store prices will be £59.99)

A decent + version coupled with something like a £25 upgrade would see the IP sell a tion and spawn a franchise, a glorified demo and full retail/digital store price will see it struggle badly.

If what you are saying is true then I don't see the point in the plus version existing past Sony having something to say they are giving away with that months plus, because it 'll be a demo , not a limited *plus* version.

The free PS+ version was confirmed to have enough content to be able to earn the platinum trophy. Other than that we don't know how much content it's missing.

So is this a precursor to an official announcement or is this just release speculation? Sounds more rumor than fact. I hope otherwise.

viveks86

You have made a lot of assumptions and you are making me do all the legwork! :(

Anyway, I'm going to be a good boy and try to answer :)

Where was it confirmed as full price at retail.

It was confirmed in an interview. There was a gaf thread about it:
PS Plus version aside, is it a full priced game?

Yes it is. It will be available day one at retail and on the PlayStation store as a digital download, as well as the PS Plus version, all available day one.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616946

Also, there is nothing anywhere that suggests this won't be a $60 game. Websites have been reporting it as $60 and all preorders have been happening at that rate, even weeks near its originally planned launch.
http://ps4daily.com/2013/10/drive-club-includes-3-months-of-free-ps-subscription/

There is no point in offering it with plus if the content is so minimal they can justify charging full retail price for it ( which with the digital store prices will be £59.99)

They are limiting the cars and tracks. You can still platinum the game without ever upgrading. Do you know there won't be enough cars and tracks to warrant $60?

a glorified demo and full retail/digital store price will see it struggle badly.

No idea what makes you think a "glorified demo" would cannibalize sales. If you like the game and you've played just 10% (for example) of the tracks and cars, wouldn't you want to buy the full priced game to experience all of it? If anything it would push sales up because of no barriers to entry, right?

because it 'll be a demo , not a limited *plus* version.

Another assumption. As I (and bombshell) have mentioned, you can platinum the game without paying an extra dollar. Show me a "glorified demo" that allows you to do that and then we can argue what can be a called a "limited plus version" and what can't. The content is limited, so it is a limited plus version. Seems pretty straightforward, no?

NeoGash

You mean rip ps4 version of watchdogs. The game is fucking rough. It won't be out until later in the year but if they rushed that date it would still be a mess. Infamous won't be.

But my main point is that watchdogs dates wrong. I don't know about driveclub but I feel like it may be also. That's a guess though, unlike the above.

Ubisoft are bad at making open world games. Sucker Punch made Infamous 2.

Sucker Punch/Infamous Second Son >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ubicrap/Watch Dogs
hit

EDIT: Just realised how douchey my comment was. I forgot to mention Driveclub.

Anyway, I have been looking for a great next-gen racer, preferably arcade, and Driveclub looks really, really good. I hope the social features work out very well, as I can imagine driving with your friends would be so damn fun. Riding off into the sunset or snow together. Romantic lol.

GT5P is 80 cars and 6 tracks. GT5 is 1000 cars and... 30 tracks ? 25 ?

GT5P is also more than 2 years older than GT5... without even counting the patches.

Thanks for the reply. Hmm. If it was a similar scenario for driveclub on plus/retail, I'd be half happy with that. Got into racing games quite heavily last year using Forza Horizon as a gateway, but I'm still nowhere near an actual car buff appreciating the differences etc., I think 80 cars oppose to 1000 in this example wouldn't bother me at all. I think 6 tracks though would make me bored quick. I guess I'll just have to wait for more info. If it was something like that, I think the plus version + a track pack would be the way to go, just no idea if I have the appreciation for the full retail price to be worth it to me.

dstarMDA

Thanks for the reply. Hmm. If it was a similar scenario for driveclub on plus/retail, I'd be half happy with that. Got into racing games quite heavily last year using Forza Horizon as a gateway, but I'm still nowhere near an actual car buff appreciating the differences etc., I think 80 cars oppose to 1000 in this example wouldn't bother me at all. I think 6 tracks though would make me bored quick. I guess I'll just have to wait for more info. If it was something like that, I think the plus version + a track pack would be the way to go, just no idea if I have the appreciation for the full retail price to be worth it to me.

The main difference here being that Gran Turismo / Forza (not Horizon) are in a class of their own and DriveClub retail will never have more than an hundred cars and at best a dozen of tracks.

I have no idea of how they are going to handle the matter. Are they going to lock content or features ?

They should put the day/night circle behind a paywall just for the lolz

Elvick

Banned

I'm pretty sure the PS+ Edition is aiming for a more F2P approach. Not a 'demo' / 'full' model.

Meaning, you want more tracks? Buy more tracks. Want more cars? Buy more cars. Rather than being locked into just the PS+ Edition or full version, it offers flexibility.

nofi

I'm pretty sure the PS+ Edition is aiming for a more F2P approach. Not a 'demo' / 'full' model.

Meaning, you want more tracks? Buy more tracks. Want more cars? Buy more cars. Rather than being locked into just the PS+ Edition or full version, it offers flexibility.

Yep, afaik.

JimiNutz

Banned
When this game didn't make launch I cancelled my PS4 preorder.
Here's hoping that the game delivers and forces me to pick up that PS4 after all...

Why are PS4 games so ludicrously overpriced in the UK? I don't expect it to last long, and figure retail games on the system will likely sell at the standard £40 soon enough, but right now it's fucking extortionate. Only £54.85 my arse. I was lucky to get a copy of Shadow Fall for £39 brand new, and I haven't spent that much on a game that wasn't a limited edition in a long time.

Pimpwerx

What it sounds like. PS+ version is basically the starter pack. I might just buy the full version, depending on how the cost breakdown works out. I'm not complaining about getting to play the game for free while I make up my mind though. Hopefully GAF can steer me down the right path. It's already saved me from spending money on NBA2K14. No games with obnoxious pay walls for me. PEACE.

King_Moc

Banned
Is this going to have a PS+ discount? When you've already got a large chunk of the game for nothing, paying £55 for the other half is really gonna sting. To the point that i probably just won't bother.

Edit: Just seen the F2P speculation above. That's even worse! The full game will end up costing about £1000 with that model!

Is this going to have a PS+ discount? When you've already got a large chunk of the game for nothing, paying £55 for the other half is really gonna sting. To the point that i probably just won't bother.

Yes, Yoshida has confirmed that you'll be able to download the rest of the game at a discount if you grab the Plus edition.

Day one if true, the placeholder dates are all Feb 22nd so pretty close lol.

I guess the NA launch date would be the 25th along with next gen rayman and thief?
Nah, NA launch date would be the 28th. I am led to believe that Sony release games on Friday now.

TLOU launched on a Friday, all the PS4 launch titles came on a Friday (well of course those came out on a Friday :p), Infamous is coming on a Friday.... This makes sense.

You mean rip ps4 version of watchdogs. The game is fucking rough. It won't be out until later in the year but if they rushed that date it would still be a mess. Infamous won't be.

But my main point is that watchdogs dates wrong. I don't know about driveclub but I feel like it may be also. That's a guess though, unlike the above.
[
Watchdogs looked like a broken piece of shit when they were showing it before. I fully believe your comments.

QaaQer

The most interesting thing about this game is the monetization model. I'm super curious as to what that is.

Trago

There's also this (from the comments)

KdfDQpZ.png

I'm worried for Infamous if this is true. March is packed as hell.

LAA

I too have to show disgust for next gen pricing. The graphics suggest ShopTo too, not surprised lately.
Reminds me of MGS V:GZ, Kojima was interviewed about the differences between current gen/next gen, and if I understood it right, he was basically saying they were the same, apart from the graphical differences.
Thats just unacceptable. I have to pay for something gamers should expect? Shouldn't they be helping to get gamers on board, not pushing them away with these prices....

They better go down, I went for Knack (At £49 too!, not that I regret it, I love the game), but I only did that at launch, I'm not doing it all the time, so retail better understand that quick or they're just gonna be left with useless stock.

As for DriveClub coming out February supposedly, not so bad I guess. Don't know whether I'll get it. If they still do the PS+ trial, I'll go for that, see what what I think, then consider getting the full version. Watch_Dogs in march... My bro wants that, so I hope he gets for PS4, if not I'm still definitely going for infamous over that.

I think May for Watch Dogs, unless it's even farther behind schedule and will end up being a September release.

Yeah thats what I think as well.

May in the old Rockstar spot or that game really is a broken mess and its delayed until a late Fall/Winter release.

I havent a clue what is up with Drive club. That have barely shown the actual game. Some time trial demos on one track and those random 15 second clips.

Top Bottom