• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub making 'spectacular progress' release date update due 'in the weeks to come

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Given the delay. If this isn't at 1080p @ 60fps then a lot of folks will be disappointed.

watchdog

The game was looking pretty stunning last time they showed it so I'm curious to see what they've done with the additional time they requested.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They delayed it to add more content. This 60 fps stuff is really just people setting themselves up for disappointment.

Bebpo

Banned
I like that they have to actually say the game has a director, like what would be the alternative? Everyone working with no one in charge telling them what do? :p

They delayed it to add more content. This 60 fps stuff is really just people setting themselves up for disappointment.

True. As much as I'd love to see it, I'd rather they lock that shit down at 30 and go all in with lighting/environments/LoD optimization. And I can't wait to see what this game does with vehicle mods and club logos/designs, etc.

Maybe Evolution is like the Borg.

Release dates are futile? :p

DLrn5Cn.jpg

GameSeeker

Agreed. Don't expect 60fps, expect more tracks and a better Club management system.

The marketing promise of "more information in the weeks to come" is just hot air. They have been saying "soon", "shortly", and "weeks" for months and it's all been false.

As I said in a previous post, it will be interesting to see who is the new Game Director. Whether they promoted someone internally or whether they went with an external hire, it will tell us a bit about the future of DriveClub.

liquidtmd

Banned
FINALLY - I can fap to this news that we may get news in coming weeks about the possibility of getting a release date propositioned this year to a title that was pimped to hell last year and implied heavily would be a launch title.

I am excited sans sarcasm

soon™
soon™, shortly™, weeks™

Still, a promising tone, though I hope they mean *in the coming weeks* here in the same sense as normal humans would use the term.

Yeah, 30fps (maybe unlocked as everything seems to be) is where my expectations are calibrated.

codhand

well fuck me then, cause that to me is the whole reason one delays a next-gen racer

"new modes" doesnt elicit much for me

especially since they were originally holding off on saying whether or not they could get to 60, they seemed to imply they were trying, so i guess they spent the last few months saying fuck it, and adding content / polishing instead.

-NeoTB1-

Game delays don't bother me so long as the finished product it worth my hard-earned cash. Here's hoping Driveclub is one of them.

FINALLY - I can fap to this news that we may get news in coming weeks about the possibility of getting a release date propositioned this year to a title that was pimped to hell last year and implied heavily would be a launch title.
It was formally announced to be a launch title. =\

ItIsOkBro

Can't believe the only thing people are desiring from a delay is 60fps, how lame is that.

I'm sitting here thinking they probably added more cars, tracks, customization options etc..

codhand

Can't believe the only thing people are desiring from a delay is 60fps, how lame is that.

in a racing game, i think 60 is important, all my favorite racing games have been 60

it's not of paramount concern for everyone, nor need it be, but if they wanna convert a casual racing fan, it has to be 60 or im not interested.

AzerPhire

Of course they are going to say the game is doing well and is on track, the game has received nothing but negative news since November. Delay, no new screenshots or footage, director leaves, layoffs at Evo, not shown with Morpheous/no plans for VR, this is all bad news and is turning the game into a joke.

I am on a wait and see with this game. The fact that they have not shown actual race footage (longer than a 5 second FB clip) of a multi-car race or even any multi-player footage (This was supposed to be a social game right?) shows this game was in bad shape.

Also just want to add that this game is going to tank in sales. They wanted to release it for PS Plus to get people to subscribe and make their money that way but gamers subscribed anyways. The only way they can make their money back on this game is through DLC and micro-transactions and those are not exactly the most positive subjects in gaming right now.

Fredrik

1080p @ 60fps please.
First post always deliver. That is exactly what I wish for too. At least 60fps, I'm not overly sensitive to sub 1080p resolutions. And I think it'll happen. They've been too silent lately, probably been hard at work optimizing the engine like crazy to see if it's possible before announcing it. If someone at Evolution reads this, please consider to at least have a 60fps mode as a graphics option without dynamic weather effects or online mode or with less opponents or whatever currently eats up the frames. DICE did this in Motorhead on PS1 and it was glorious. Still looks phenomenal just because of this.

Cubed

I don't give two craps if it's 60fps. As long as it looks as good as the videos we got in December, I am 100% okay with 30fps.

I hate this entire 60fps thing that everyone is so obsessed with.

Not. Every. Game. Needs. To. Be. 60. Frames. Per. Second.

Not even every racer.

Some genres, like fighting games and first-person shooters, are heavily tied to twitch reactions; so yes, all of those should ideally be 60fps. However, I feel like people threw racing games into that list just because Gran Turismo and Forza have [around] 60fps. It's really not a crucial need for all racing games. Locked 30fps is just fine and dandy. Obviously, like all games, it should have a buttery smooth frame rate, but that doesn't mean it has to be 60.

in a racing game, i think 60 is important, all my favorite racing games have been 60

it's not of paramount concern for everyone, nor need it be, but if they wanna convert a casual racing fan, it has to be 60 or im not interested.

Offering a PS+ Edition for free so casual racing fans (who also have PS+, obviously) can play without any additional expense would arguably do more to draw in casuals than 60 fps. Why would a casual fan of the genre declare frame rate to be a deciding factor?

cakely

Still really hoping for 60fps but, internally I know that's not really likely.

P.S - This sounds like good news but isn't this technically an "announcement of an announcement"? I hate those.

If they added some nice long tracks and new cars and polished up the graphics, the wait will have been worth it. But please come out around july at the latest.

This. The game is already a stunner. Just let it be what the creators originally envisioned: incredible dynamic lighting and physics/materials based graphics at 30 fps

Danlord

If they're mentioning that they'll announce who is the new Game Director, it doesn't bode well for a release soon. If they've got a new director in Febuary, I don't think they'll have him/her on for only 2-3 months, so I would imagine that their work will last about 5-6 months at leas and would put the date at the back end of 2014, which isn't ideal.

I'm in the "60FPS" boat as a lot are here, I do want more content too in the time since the launch delay, and as a fan of a good graphical showcase I don't want the visuals to be cut down as much to accommodate the 60FPS target, so there's a big effort for them to pull through on the visuals side that they showcased Driveclub on, the attention to detail but the demand for 60FPS pushing them in other ways.

codhand

Offering a PS+ Edition for free so casual racing fans (who also have PS+, obviously) can play without any additional expense would arguably do more to draw in casuals than 60 fps. Why would a casual fan of the genre declare frame rate to be a deciding factor?

youre assuming logic dictates my decision making, ;)

i shouldve said "this casual racing fan"

to me 60fps would be "spectacular", they are the ones using the hyperbole.

i did forget that it was going to be free on Plus though, so i would def try it, being that there's no risk

EDIT
wait a minute youre the one who just said youre going to "beat off" to this press release, i dont have to explain myself to you anymore

StuBurns

Banned
I'm really hoping for a jump to 60, it'll be the difference between buying the game and just playing the + version for me.

"Spectacular progress" eh? Well that's good. If I had to guess, I see this releasing in September. Then The Order: 1886 in late October or early November.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Of course they are going to say the game is doing well and is on track, the game has received nothing but negative news since November. Delay, no new screenshots or footage, director leaves, layoffs at Evo, not shown with Morpheous/no plans for VR, this is all bad news and is turning the game into a joke.

I am on a wait and see with this game. The fact that they have not shown actual race footage (longer than a 5 second FB clip) of a multi-car race or even any multi-player footage (This was supposed to be a social game right?) shows this game was in bad shape.

Also just want to add that this game is going to tank in sales. They wanted to release it for PS Plus to get people to subscribe and make their money that way but gamers subscribed anyways. The only way they can make their money back on this game is through DLC and micro-transactions and those are not exactly the most positive subjects in gaming right now.
The PS+ edition will still have an option to pay to upgrade to the full version.

Teletraan1

Banned
Needs to be 4k@60fps /w splitscreen released tomorrow, just to satiate this thread. Then it can go back to being 14 hours of content for people to burn through and throw on the pile and never think about again like every other game had it been released at launch.

Top Bottom