• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
DVbHuh2.jpg
Finished the career earlier today, only one or two stars gave me trouble (the Venom hot lap took a few goes!).
Overall I've warmed a little to it but the AI is supremely disappointing.
Competed the career at level 30 too. So a lot more grinding to get the P1 and other cars I want unlocked...

Seems a waste not to have contributed any of this XP to the Club but can't do much about it.

Servers have definitely been on the up. They were holding for me at one stage for over 45mins and have been on and off all this evening. Here's hoping.

OmegaDL50

I'm afraid you cant transfer leadership, but I think Rushy said they're looking into changing that. If you're not good at designing you could just have someone who's good at it send you a share-snap of a livery via a PS Message to replicate (thats how my club is probably going to do it).

The individual designs for logos and shapes aren't numbered, but that is how onr share designs as long as the directions are given.

I figure the best way to share liveries would be a number based system. There is 30 designs for each of the categories as far as I can tell.

For example my style is as follows

Street 1
Base - 10x4 Metallic (It's a bright blue color)
Primary - 7x4 Metallic (Emerald Green)
Secondary - 16x1 Metallic (Silver)
Tertiary - 16x8 Matte (Black)

Using this numbered system makes it so you can have someone come up with a design and then just share the numbers and have the person just punch them in.

TheBear

I'm starting to get agitated that this game isn't online properly yet. The first time I played it had all the online features, and now every time I play I'm reminded I'm playing a gimped version. It's been five days now they need to get their fucking act together

Jimrpg

Finished the career earlier today, only one or two stars gave me trouble (the Venom hot lap took a few goes!).
Overall I've warmed a little to it but the AI is supremely disappointing.
Competed the career at level 30 too. So a lot more grinding to get the P1 and other cars I want unlocked...

Seems a waste not to have contributed any of this XP to the Club but can't do much about it.

Servers have definitely been on the up. They were holding for me at one stage for over 45mins and have been on and off all this evening. Here's hoping.

How long did it take you?

CLEEK

Day 5. Playing it for 1+ hours a night. Still never connected online. Shit is fucked.

To add insult to injury , I've just had my second hard crash, dumping me back to the PS4 home menu with an error code.

The battle this week between Evolution and Ubisoft for who can fuck up the most is a heated one. At the moment, Evolution are ahead by a nose.

T_Exige

Game crashed in the 3rd race of a championship... error ce-...
I am at 217/225, still missing 7 stars because I can't use the vw golf r and the BAC mono.
The last star is the almost impossible 1.16 with the Venom.
To be honest, I really like the game, not perfect but good 8/10

Jimrpg

Not sure, about 7-8 hours for the career at a guess. Another half hour to clean up the stars I'd missed.

ah ok...

I was wondering why it was taking a while for me, I've done the first five or six events, but its taken me about 2-3 hours. At this rate, the career is going to take well over 20 hours. But I've been doing each race until I get all the objectives before moving on.

Maybe if I unlock some of the faster cars and then go back and get the missing stars it'll be much faster.

Dawg

The thing that is really blowing my mind is that a "simple" racing game is having more issues than the average MMORPG on launch.

aro52

Is this real life? Since pre-load launch I'm greeted with this every time I boot this up..and NO, things don't change while I play.

Maybe it's a incorrect assumption, but the Motorstorm games weren't network hogs on the PS3.
I think Evo's network team got a serious wake-up call with this game.

It's on Evolution for not being equipped for such a load, and on Sony for not seeing it coming.

Is there any word about a sound profile for the Sony headsets? Which profile are people using currently (gold)?

They said it's coming, but clearly the lowest issue on their totem pole.

p3tran

Banned
you quote my post, yet you say nothing in relation to it.
nice pgr video though, did you play pgr?

remind me, (pgr was sim-arcade) could you slam full-on the brakes at pgr and at the same time turn the wheel/pad full left or right, to make the car turn? nope, I dont think so.
so dont say that its close to pgr. its not. this is way more assisted than pgr.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yup, never read him saying something like that, the urge to play is so very hard to resist though ;_;

I guess I misread this from their facebook update

You’ll still be able to earn fame, unlock cars and get to grips with all of the options for playing and creating your own events and challenges - and everything you do will be synchronised with the servers when you do get connected, so you can set-up a bunch of challenges to send out to your friends as soon as you are able to join each other online.

Got the game yesterday and sunk a good 6 hours into it. I haven't really touched the tour and been focusing on time trials and experimenting with AI difficulty. So far it is one of my favourite racing games, with the driving mechanics, track design, and lighting it makes for some amazing gameplay and one of the most refreshing racers I have played since Forza 3. I'm surprised at how good this game handles considering it is 30fps, I was playing it on my vita and it dawned on me that the vita experience felt more like that of most 30fps racers.

I normally stick to time trials in racing games (except to unlock cars) and so far I have loved the AI, it feels like racing. This has been one of my biggest complaints in driving games since I started playing them. Even on the hardest difficulties they most always felt like it was get to the front of the pack then stay there unless you ballsed up then get back to the front again, or they would be unrealistically perfect and with my skill set no chance of beating them unless I got lucky and never any fun to battle for a position in the pack. I love playing the harder difficulties in Driveclub and am just as content battling for 5th as I am for 1st.

I normally play racing games with no assists and I think Driveclub has got the mechanics down perfectly. The higher level cars require throttle control to get the best out of them on leaving corners, all the cars either have understeer or oversteer, some feel light and nippy, others feel heavy and clunky.

I have only two complaints, the AF is a bit weird and is noticeable at times especially on foliage heavy tracks (it seems this is why the game looks a bit bland in screenshots when the actual game looks so good) and the livery editor isn't good enough for my tastes, though I think it is great for those who don't want to put the time or don't necessaries have the skill to create something competent.

benzy

you quote my post, yet you say nothing in relation to it.
nice pgr video though, did you play pgr?

remind me, (pgr was sim-arcade) could you slam full-on the brakes at pgr and at the same time turn the wheel/pad full left or right, to make the car turn? nope, I dont think so.
so dont say that its close to pgr. its not. this is way more assisted than pgr.

Ummmm... you said slam on full brakes and make a full turn, that video showed it in PGR4... I played and have all of the PGRs.

Oh, if you're viewing it on ipad and it doesn't link to the time I set up, 2m45s.

darkwing

Yup.
Shame they don't unlock forever once your club is at that level.

I guess it makes sense, since the car is like the club's, and when you transfer to another club without the car unlocked, you don't have it

but yeah why not let us play it offline while in the same club

boeso

They said it's coming, but clearly the lowest issue on their totem pole.

Cool, and yeah I agree.

Finding it very frustrating to get your club-cars locked out because the servers have dropped again.

One thing I absolutely LOVE though, is setting up a time trial in single session - the weather, time of day and favourite car and spend 20 minutes improving your time then level up for doing it. Awesome. Levelling system has been very well thought through.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Been playing this for a couple of hours now and during the first tier I would say the handling in this is practically identical to racing on the tarmac in Rallisport Challenge 2.

How long does the preorder points multiplier last for? I've rarely gotten anything due to these pesky disconnects.

bought this last night. can i just say that download-while-you-play feature is intergrated amazing in this game.
Even with the servers down i'm having a lot of fun. I don't particularly like racing games but i took a dive and i'm loving it.
it can only get better once all the online stuff is working.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
could you slam the brakes to the full and pull full left at the same time, and car would turn left in pgr?
i dont think so...

this cant be true? you can slam on the breaks and turn and the wheels dont lock up?, or you don't just slide straight off the track??

Also I remember all the hatred PGR got when it was coming out. Especially from a lot of sony fans. It not being 720p and not 60 fps, yet suddenly it's loved. I really did like PGR but I remember it getting a lot of hate from certain crowds. Not saying it's the same people in here. It just seems weird to see so much, deserved, love finally

OmegaDL50

Club based car unlocks being online only seems disappointing, worse still they rely on Evolutions own server solution rather then basic PSN functionality.

I do hope they plan to patch that so that once you unlock the car as long as you stay in that Club the car can be used regardless offline or online.

Sure it's great they have all of these planned features for the game with 9 months of Season Pass content. Hopefully none of the purchased DLC cars are Club exclusive either.

It would be annoying to be locked out of content that was paid for. I wonder if Evolution considered the long term support of this game or has any solution in place when they decide to take the servers offline a few years from now and the game is more or less a gutted experience.

This is the sort of game I can go back to and play again and again due to the shoot'em up esque style score keeping, so being able to continue to go back and beat an old high score, so having all the content available except netplay when offline is kind of important.

jobrro

this cant be true? you can slam on the breaks and turn and the wheels dont lock up?, or you don't just slide straight off the track??

IIRC even in Forza you can usually turn reasonably while braking provided you have the ABS assist on?

I think Driveclub is basically Forza with all assists on (ABS, TCS etc.) with some added arcadeyness. Driveclub feels good to me. I suck at drifting though.

p3tran

Banned

what do you mean "this ccant be true"? are you saying I'm lying?

as I said, driveclub is an arcade racer. those that try to draw parallel lines with simcades,
in my opinion they dont know what they're talking about.

everybody can go right now and try this simple test: pick ANY car, reach for example 150km/h, approach any turn (90 degree is good), and just SLAM on the brakes and at the same time pull to the end of the direction you want to go (full left or full right).
car will not lock, will not loose control, it will just decrease speed and pull its face to the inner of the side you are trying to turn.
thats not simcade. thats ....you guessed it, arcade. by definition

Goddamnit. So my progress doesn't retroactively get added to the club. Been playing for a couple of days and nearing the end of the 'career mode' with others not having been able to get into the club. Now one has been able to join and we are at level 1. I want that fucking Zonda.

It really was a bad move to make some cars part of the club progress rewards with all the server issues going on. It really launched as a broken game.

anddo0

Goddamnit. So my progress doesn't retroactively get added to the club. Been playing for a couple of days and nearing the end of the 'career mode' with others not having been able to get into the club. Now one has been able to join and we are at level 1. I want that fucking Zonda.

It really was a bad move to make some cars part of the club progress rewards with all the server issues going on. It really launched as a broken game.

Yeah it sucks.. This is why I'm not going all in with the game yet.

OmegaDL50

It's getting to the point where I don't think Evolution can just bring things back online and just say "We are sorry for the delay"

It's getting to the point where one the main selling points of the game in the form of Clubs can't even be utilized.

If this continues for much longer I don't think an apology isn't going to cut it. Evolution clearly didn't anticipate this sort of demand for the game.

Hopefully maybe they'll offer a discount for the Season pass or some other bonus to smooth things over because of the downtime.

le-seb

Using this numbered system makes it so you can have someone come up with a design and then just share the numbers and have the person just punch them in.
Except it probably won't be working.
Retro design #2 in my garage when I've written instructions for Konosuke isn't the same as in the club's editor.

I could see that yesterday when he transferred me club leadership so that I do my stuff.
So that part is definitively working, at least.

FtHTiny

Damn got disconnect 5 races or so after i Joinded Pandagaf club and now i don´t want to play because it wouldn´t count towards it.

benzy

as I said, driveclub is an arcade racer. those that try to draw parallel lines with simcades,

everybody can go right now and try this simple test: pick ANY car, reach for example 150km/h, approach any turn (90 degree is good), and just SLAM on the brakes and at the same time pull to the end of the direction you want to go (full left or full right).
car will not lock, will not loose control, it will just decrease speed and pull its face to the inner of the side you are trying to turn.

Either you are lying, or you're just not remembering how PGR plays. I don't think you would deliberately lie so I'm leaning more towards the latter. Go back and play PGR, like right now. I still have my phat xbox hooked up to still play PGR2 and Rallisport 2; I just turned on PGR2 just now and did exactly the same thing you described in a Porsche 911, full on brakes, full turn to the right, and the car did a full right turn with no wheel locks, no loss of control, the car did a full turn and went to a stop. Same thing happens in Driveclub. Driveclub is as simcade as PGR man. Just go back and try PGR.

Also I remember all the hatred PGR got when it was coming out. Especially from a lot of sony fans. It not being 720p and not 60 fps, yet suddenly it's loved. I really did like PGR but I remember it getting a lot of hate from certain crowds. Not saying it's the same people in here. It just seems weird to see so much, deserved, love finally

That's because a lot of 360 owners migrated to the PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

DC won't give you full turning while braking though. You need to let off the brakes for that.

You can invite players to your club. Press triangle and do it from the social hub menus once you have formed your club.

Yeah, over the basic PS4 OS interface which has you enter PSN ID's manually or select one from your Players Met which hardly ever works. That may be nitpicky but it adds to my impression that Interaction with other players in multiplayer lobbies is lacking. And I dont't even care that much about inviting others, it's really more about having something to do while you're waiting for the next race to start which I'm so used to from other games. Just the option to look at player/club profiles, getting a better look at people's club badges, comparing yourself with others etc. like you can under My Club would make me happy. I don't know, to me it just seems the most obvious thing for this game to do.

Only talking about multiplayer lobbies though. The options under My Club seem fine.

PGR has had a ton of appreciation threads over the last few years, it was a great series and had plenty of fans. I remember it got a ton of stick when they announced it was going 30fps but once it hit a lot of people were happy with how it felt, even if it wasn't 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom