• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

At this point I think you have to call this game "too ambitious."

If after all these months the servers can't handle the player volume that comes with success (or giving it out for free), then how was this game ever supposed to succeed?

It seems to me that if it had sold twice as many copies as it did, the result would have been an unrecoverable disaster.

These devs have created something which is built to break when successful. It kinda boggles the mind.

spats

Well alright then. Eager to try it out! It's just a damn shame I won't be able to use my trusty DFGT with this. :(

Can't wait to drive in the rain a few times and then delete the game. :D

(Not really a racing fan.)

LOL I felt the same way,
once I played it, and my friends where like WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was like okay this the only game I can truly impress someone with.

Believe me it's a keeper, and I am not evena racing fan either.

Now, I want to get the cheapest physical copy out there and buy that Ferrari pack
and recreate out run all over again.

Can we somehow upload outrun music to this game or something like that?

jett

D-Member
Starting on Thursday, all PlayStation Plus members can download Driveclub PS Plus Edition and begin playing the offline mode.

You know, they could've saved themselves some grief if they had just done this ages ago.

Still only India? After all that they put us through, they couldn't even get us at least one more area?

lol when there's not enough free included. What did they put you through, really?

Glad to see this coming out but i'll echo that everyone should buy the full game.

You know, they could've saved themselves some grief if they had just done this ages ago.[/QUOTE

Exactly, that's another great point. They should have done this right at the beginning. This game has been so mishandled it's crazy, and it sucks because by most accounts the actual game itself is excellent.

mclem

So how long will the DC ps-plus edition be up for? I doubt after all this it'll only be up for a month, right?

I was under the impression back when it was first announced that it was meant to be a permanent perk for PS+ users.

I don't know how you slowly roll this out, though. If they anticipate server overload, then they're gonna have a lot of unhappy people when shit doesn't work. Or maybe they'll just do it region-by-region or something?

It's a fair question. Messaging based on internal PSN ID number? Something like that sort of makes sense, at least.

It's the notification step that particularly makes me curious.

Catdaddy

Awesome, I play racing games just enough for this to scratch my itch.... for free nonetheless (I'd have PS+ no matter what)

Winter John

I tried it on Shareplay. Didn't think it was anything special. Pretty enough I suppose, but the handling was a bit too floaty for my liking and being bumped off the track by the A.I really irritated the hell out of me. Tried an online race but that was a total disaster. Maybe it's improved in the last few months. I'll wait for impressions from people on my friends list before I'll bother to download it

Pillville

So why are we excited? lol

Because it's free, and we've waited a long time, and this:

• Every DRIVECLUB™ feature: from online multiplayer matches and challenges, to offline solo racing, Tour events, customisation, replays, Photo Mode and more.
• The option to create your own races with full control over the time of day and the weather.
• Access to all 13 tracks in India, one of six locations in DRIVECLUB™.
• 15 cars for your garage.
• A full set of 27 PlayStation® trophies, including the precious Platinum.

lol..took 'em long enough. I'll give it a try. I do hear is a fine game and the full game is 25 bucks now right? Not a bad price at all for a game with a good amount of content.

J-Skee

I'd really like to know how the servers got so bad. Same with SimCity. Why make a game based on online play when stuff like this can happen?

PrinceKee

I was able to download yesterday and install while at work. Came home and played a couple of races and while it looks amazing, I wasn't having very much fun with it. Just felt kind of blah and nothing stood out from other racing games besides graphics. I was close to buying this at $25, so I'm glad the PS+ version came out. I'm going to play a lot more and give it a chance...

Aenima

You know, they could've saved themselves some grief if they had just done this ages ago.

I guess great part of the Driveclub experience comes from being conected online.

Maybe only now they are confident the servers can hold more ppl so they gona start rolling out ppl online slowly. Its wise as was not fair for ppl that paid for the game if the servers now crashed because of the incoming flood of new "free" players.

I was able to download yesterday and install while at work. Came home and played a couple of races and while it looks amazing, I wasn't having very much fun with it. Just felt kind of blah and nothing stood out from other racing games besides graphics. I was close to buying this at $25, so I'm glad the PS+ version came out. I'm going to play a lot more and give it a chance...

Yeah man, even if it is not for you it takes a while to bite your skin like any real racing game to me. It took a couple weeks before I was adept and really good at it to have fun with the feel of the game. Not unlike other racers tbh.

Still, it might just not be your cup of tea and that is fine.

EGM1966

What does that mean they'll 'steadily bring on more online players'?
As I read it day 1 all regions can download and play offline. Then using some form of managed activation (I'd guess by region or similar) they will activate online for groups of users at a time.

Pretty sure they did this already with retail version - ie they didn't just turn on online everywhere after the abortive launch they managed the increasing load.

ViciousDS

Banned
Can't wait to hear the same arguments from the last thread in this thread.

I'm waiting for it.....but he hasn't shown up yet.

But glad to see people will finally get a taste of an amazing game. It's also really cheap to buy. Prepare to get rocked by rain like never before.

Damn nice. I have to download MGSV PS+ today and this tomorrow. Good times, good times. :) Still really disappointed they have downsized into update to pay service team. I really hope Sony allows them to expand and either make a new IP or a sequel to either Motorstorm or Driveclub...

Nyx

Definitely do that, I bet most people that now love the game had a ''slow start'', me included.

The game really became good for me when I got to the Super class cars.

I don't know how you slowly roll this out, though. If they anticipate server overload, then they're gonna have a lot of unhappy people when shit doesn't work. Or maybe they'll just do it region-by-region or something?

If it is anything like the full game then they can turn on and off specific network functions such as the leaderboards, ghosts, multiplayer, challenges, clubs, etc. Thus not overloading the server by having everything on all at once.

Again? You had one, sold it and bought another? Harsh.

I think it was going downhill as i was getting an insane amount of errors, etc and wasn't playing it as much..so I traded it in for a 3ds and a few games. I bought it too early IMO. I wasn't planning to get one but after Sony awesome E3, I grabbed another one when best buy Canada had a sale on where you get destiny & the last of us bundle for 400.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Still only India? After all that they put us through, they couldn't even get us at least one more area?

I'm honestly kind of perturbed by that. Didn't think I'd be. But here we are. These guys have all but used up all of my trust.

It must have been so hard, with nothing else to do in the world but wait for the fabled PS+ edition of Driveclub. My condolences.

I assume they somehow thought it would be even worse PR for them to have people playing offline for ages before online went live.Or maybe they thought people would get sick of the game and move on before they got all the features up and running, which is a concern that makes sense to me. If the social aspects are the hook, then it would be a bad play to release what is essentially a teaser to prompt sales without those hooks.

mclem

If it is anything like the full game then they can turn on and off specific network functions such as the leaderboards, ghosts, multiplayer, challenges, clubs, etc. Thus not overloading the server by having everything on all at once.

Yes, but on a per-user basis?

Top Bottom