• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante pls: Metal Gear Rising PC won't support higher resolutions than 1080p

Spaghetti

Not every pc gamer fills these in or even uses steam, won't make those the most common resolutions regardless but to actually trust those surveys is insane.
if the statistics were closer this'd be a viable argument, but there's a huge gap between 1920 x 1080 and anything above it

Corto

Well, won't double dip soon then. The PS Plus program already treated me with the game. I'll stop buying full price sub-par ports, when I get them under a 10$ price I'll decide if I buy or not.

To all the people saying "1080p is fine"

Why don't you play 720p games on your 1080p monitor and then tell me it's fine mothafucka.

It's not fine, i think nobody is supporting PG for locking the max resolution. But that lock is not a reason to describe this port as shitty.
And as i and few people said, getting past this lock with be easy for sure, even old games like Devil May Cry 3 that had a really shitty port can now with a mod play on 16:10 resolutions.

Addnan

Guess I can hold off on buying it..

1380041_10202457878675537_124855495_n.jpg

Finished building it today, $18,000 machine.

i7-4960X, 64GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, 4 x GTX780 Ti's, 4 x 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs in RAID, 4 x 3TB HDD, etc etc...

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.
At that sort of money I am pretty disappointed not see this all under water.

Foaloal

I do probably 90% of my gaming on PC. I have a 1080p monitor and a reasonable PC, nothing impressive. The idea that every PC gamer is concerned with IQ to the level that some people freaking out over this are is kinda silly.

For the dudes with, say, 1600p monitors, playing a 1080p game is going to look about as good as playing a 720p game on a 1080p screen.

While this doesn't really affect me since my screens are 1080p, if I had a 1600p monitor I would be disappointed by this.

I agree that it's a bit premature to complain just about a tweet though, let's at least wait until the game is out and we see for sure that there's no .ini or .cfg files to fix this.

Even if it is 100% 1080p locked, I still appreciate the effort they put into making it better than the console versions.

Alienous

I do probably 90% of my gaming on PC. I have a 1080p monitor and a reasonable PC, nothing impressive. The idea that every PC gamer is concerned with IQ to the level that some people freaking out over this are is kinda silly.

That isn't what is being said. Obviously GAF would have the most hardcore of PC gamers, being the site that it is.

This is a case of satisfying 98.5% or satisfying 100% with regards to the resolution options. But GAF, naturally, has a disproportionate amount of that 1.5%. Seemingly, it isn't hard to unlock the resolution of a game, so there's a strong argument for doing so.

It's not fine, i think nobody is supporting PG for locking the max resolution. But that lock is not a reason to describe this port as shitty.
And as i and few people said, getting past this lock with be easy for sure, even old games like Devil May Cry 3 that had a really shitty port can now with a mod play on 16:10 resolutions.

That's not the point. You can also ignore Metro on Windows 8 if you install a tweak or two but that doesn't mean Microsoft gets a free pass.

Eusis

Based on the responses in this thread............even the creation of the thread......... do you think it matters?
People have tossed entitled around like a dirty word, but frankly? You ARE entitled to more when you spend around or well in excess of a thousand on a fantastic PC setup and it'd take practically no effort to support it. These people need to think about the sheer absurdity of paying for great performance only to have arbitrary bottlenecks on the games they wanted to run as well as they possibly can.

AColdDay

Honestly, I would hardly put this at the top of Durante's to-do list.

Not accepting resolutions above 720 is unacceptable but, over 1080, that's a luxury that not that many people can make use of. Sure, ideally the support would be there, but it's not a make or break type situation as previous poor PC ports were.

This. This is like sending out the bat signal because somebody scratched your Mercedes.

People refusing to buy a game because it can't go higher than 1080p?

WelcomeToNeogaf.gif

I'm glad I'm a gamer and not one of those resolution people. Your lives must suck :/

Seanspeed

Banned
Jesus Christ, this is borderline elitism right there.
Please explain that.

I think most PC gamers understand that *options* are one of the most important aspect of gaming on a PC. Not everybody has the same hardware or display.

I only have a 1080p monitor, so this doesn't affect me(at the moment). But I am very aware that other people exist in this world with me and I don't think its cool when other people are left by the wayside, even if I'm ok.

Never said this is something to be absolutely outraged over, but it *is* an issue and is disappointing. Don't think we can call it a half-ass port by any means, but maybe a 7/8ths port? :p

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

ThisIsNeoGaf.gif

I'm glad I'm a gamer and not one of those resolution people. Your lives must suck :/

Don't you know? Apparently those resolution people are the "real" PC gamers.

Eusis

This. This is like sending out the bat signal because somebody scratched your Mercedes.
Probably more like a typical robbery, when there's super villains to fight. It IS dumb this happened, but hopefully Platinum addresses it themselves.

Dario ff

Banned
Why is there even a discussion of why this matters? It's completely trivial to implement an option to select and display all resolutions available from a programming standpoint. If they already implemented 1080p they do have a way to create a buffer of a different size and scale everything properly as well.

This is even easier to implement than the 720p catastrophe. It could just be that their wording is confusing and we're jumping to conclusions, unless they were silly enough to hardcode a list of resolutions supported.

In fact if the case above is correct, we don't even need a hack of the scale of dsfix or anything like that. We can just hex-edit the exe and have any resolution.

Nabs

Please explain that.

I think most PC gamers understand that *options* are one of the most important aspect of gaming on a PC. Not everybody has the same hardware or display.

I only have a 1080p monitor, so this doesn't affect me(at the moment). But I am very aware that other people exist in this world with me and I don't think its cool when other people are left by the wayside, even if I'm ok.

Never said this is something to be absolutely outraged over, but it *is* an issue and is disappointing. Don't think we can call it a half-ass port by any means, but maybe a 7/8ths port? :p

Join us.
Assuming you have an Nvidia card.

Arkanius

i7-4960X, 64GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, 4 x GTX780 Ti's, 4 x 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs in RAID, 4 x 3TB HDD, etc etc...

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.

HARDON PIXEL COLLIDER

epmode

ThisIsNeoGaf.gif

It makes a lot of sense when your monitor is 2560x1600. Upscaling 1080p to fullscreen looks awful, not jokes.

I'd say that I can't understand people supporting this arbitrary restriction but I see garbage like that all the time on GAF. No surprise here.

And really, it is arbitrary. Practically every modern 3D game allows for all sorts of ridiculous resolution options with almost no effort from the developer. Even games that don't support your resolution out of the box allow you to plug in any monitor-supported resolution into a config file and shit just works.

hoserx

People have tossed entitled around like a dirty word, but frankly? You ARE entitled to more when you spend around or well in excess of a thousand on a fantastic PC setup and it'd take practically no effort to support it. These people need to think about the sheer absurdity of paying for great performance only to have arbitrary bottlenecks on the games they wanted to run as well as they possibly can.

I dont think you read what I said the right way........ I am saying that it obviously DOES matter. I play on a 2560x1600 panel and it very much is the deciding factor for me as to whether Ill purchase or not.

lol that rig could probably run directly a 360 emulator with Rising if such thing existed

Jabba

Banned
to be honest, 1080 is old news. It maybe a new and exciting thing for next gen consoles, but many pc gamers are used to higher resolutions, up to 3 monitors and stuff like that.

Yeah, my laptop res is 16:10, 1900x1200. That was in 2008 when I bought it. When buying a new rig, I sure as shit wouldn't settle for 1080p. 1440p will be minimum this time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, some of the posts in this thread are crazy.

That's not the point. You can also ignore Metro on Windows 8 if you install a tweak or two but that doesn't mean Microsoft gets a free pass.

Maybe you couldn't read the line you didn't bold, but he said nobody is supporting this. They don't deserve a "free pass" but this is hardly the reason to call it a shit port that only a Japanese developer would deliver.

patapuf

If this was some kind of super hard feature to implement, or some kind of advanced graphics technology i'd understand the defenders.

BUt there's no reason to cap resolution in a 3D game and it's not a time consuming feature to implement.

This is a case of satisfying 98.5% or satisfying 100% with regards to the resolution options. But GAF, naturally, has a disproportionate amount of that 2.5%. Seemingly, it isn't hard to unlock the resolution of a game, so there's a strong argument for doing so.

I agree with you. Doesn't constitute the hyperbolic response of almost the entire first page of this thread being filled with "shit port, canceled preorder" posts.

Mostly I felt the need to defend it because the game is great, Platinum is one of my favorite devs right now, and it really seems to me that they're trying to do a good job with bringing this game to PC. I feel the need to support it because while I don't expect Platinum's first PC game to be perfect, it seems like they are putting real effort into it which is more than I can say for most console-to-PC ports this past gen, from any developer, let alone a Japanese one.

Sentenza

I have the weirdest boner right now.

epmode

I think several people in this thread don't understand how absurdly easy it is to include high resolution support in a modern 3D game. It's not like on consoles where the dev has to make sure that it runs at an acceptible framerate for all players.
Maybe you couldn't read the line you didn't bold, but he said nobody is supporting this. They don't deserve a "free pass" but this is hardly the reason to call it a shit port that only a Japanese developer would deliver.

Can you list, say, 10 3D games from the last generation that don't support >1080p? I'd ask for only five but there have been several of these in the last six months for some reason.

hoserx

I agree with you. Doesn't constitute the hyperbolic response of almost the entire first page of this thread being filled with "shit port, canceled preorder" posts.

Mostly I felt the need to defend it because the game is great, Platinum is one of my favorite devs right now, and it really seems to me that they're trying to do a good job with bringing this game to PC. I feel the need to support it because while I don't expect Platinum's first PC game to be perfect, it seems like they are putting real effort into it which is more than I can say for most console-to-PC ports this past gen, from any developer, let alone a Japanese one.

I love platinum too, but I won't play a game that will look terrible on my monitor when there are plenty of great games available that support resolutions that have been around for ten years.

Alienous

I love platinum too, but I won't play a game that will look terrible on my monitor when there are plenty of great games available that support resolutions that have been around for ten years.

And, perhaps more importantly, support resolutions that will be widely supported in 10 years.

I pre-ordered the game yesterday lol. My monitor is 2560x1440 OC to 75Hz. I've had this for a year and a half, so not really used to 1080p anymore. No reason for games to not support higher resolutions, no reason whatsoever. Game logic is sometimes tied to framerate, so sometimes you can't make a game 60FPS without work, but I can't think of any reason why a game should be limited in resolution.

Wana bet it won't support 4:3 and 16:10 either?...
glad I never pre order games

1600 x 900.

Resolution doesn't mean shit to me. I play games to play games. Not to wank over how many pixels there are on the screen.

Go look up what native resolution means on lcd panels then come back with a less asinine post
if you don't have any standards and don't care about resolution or framerates then go play on a console instead of telling us what our standards should be

Chavelo

Meh, at least they're doing progress with 60 FPS and 1080p support. Durante would prolly just help about 3.0% of the player base if he did do a quick fix. Does he get donations of some sort? The people that are begging and putting other people down about the situation better get on that.

Sounds like it'll be a better port than a few American developed games already.

DAT RIG ABOVE, THO HNNNNNGGGG--

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Can you list, say, 10 3D games from the last generation that don't support >1080p? I'd ask for only five but there have been several of these in the last six months for some reason.

No, is there even an easy way to find out without launching games to check?

I can think of many PC ports that have turned out shit because major publishers simply won't bother letting their teams spend time on them though.

Top Bottom