• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light PC Performance Thread

jorimt

OK! Solved the problem. Had to uninstall all my nvidia drivers, delete the Nvidia folder from the c: drive, use a driver cleaner utility in Windows Safe Mode, re-install just the drivers directly, not through GeForce Experience, and now the control panel settings and framerate all work as intended. Thanks for the help troubleshooting!

Good to hear :)

rbanke

Feel like I should have looked before I lept with my i7-860, 8gb ram and 2gb 680. Friend wanted to get pc over PS4 version. Played around inside the starting building and it seems ok but im guessing I'll have to turn a few things down once we go outside, hopefully it at least runs on par with the consoles. Built it jan 2010 so im happy to have a reason to build a new pc.

Shadows and View distance are the biggest things to turn down right? (1080 btw)

jorimt

Feel like I should have looked before I lept with my i7-860, 8gb ram and 2gb 680. Friend wanted to get pc over PS4 version. Played around inside the starting building and it seems ok but im guessing I'll have to turn a few things down once we go outside, hopefully it at least runs on par with the consoles. Built it jan 2010 so im happy to have a reason to build a new pc.

Shadows and View distance are the biggest things to turn down right? (1080 btw)

Correct, shadows and draw-distance are the biggest performance sappers. Also, since you're 680 only has 2GB of VRAM, you'll want to have the textures set to "Medium." The "High" setting can take around 3.5GB of VRAM on average.

I would also look into overclocking your i7-860, if you haven't already; this game is very CPU dependent, and even a slight overclock can help boost frames immensely.

Kezen

Banned
I can't shake off the feeling that the game should run better than it does even though performance is very good on my system (4770k / GTX 970).

But I guess this is going to be the norm. It's naive to believe developpers will really optimize their software on PC when better hardware can simply brute force pretty much anything.
Overprovisioning is the best strategy.

Arsenic13

We asked them how far they'll be going to improve the PC version.

We didn’t cut the draw distance in half in order to improve performance – in the original PC release we implemented a slider to set the view distance but slider’s maximum value was too high. So it did not make any sense as in theory since it made the engine draw farther but in practice these objects were culled by size in the renderer anyway, so the only effect that you could achieve was a heavy CPU load that brought the performance down and you did not achieve any visual improvement; so in a patch we have adjusted the scope of this slider. Currently there are very intense works happening now to improve the performance on PCs; it’s mostly related to poor performance on AMD CPU based systems; we have also a lot of things to fix related to multi-GPU systems. Essentially the PC version will be constantly improved and further patches will be released regularly to help everyone as best as possible.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/dying-light-devs-explain-planned-fixes-for-pc-version/

pa22word

Did you really quote a neogaf post as your source for poor optimization? Really? Even when there are multiple sources from actual tech websites on this game criticizing people over fucked up expectations causing idiocy on the side of the community as to what "optimization" actually means?

That aside, I'm glad someone in the press is asking them questions on this, even if they are loaded and seemingly pointlessly antagonistic ones.

Arsenic13

Did you really quote a neogaf post as your source for poor optimization? Really? Even when there are multiple sources from actual tech websites on this game criticizing people over fucked up expectations causing idiocy on the side of the community as to what "optimization" actually means?

That aside, I'm glad someone in the press is asking them questions on this, even if they are loaded and seemingly pointlessly antagonistic ones.

There are a lot of comments from users with similar complaints, including our own experiences playing the game. Our editor should have linked to threads and other boards, not individual posts. I'll ask him to update it.

And It's not an unreasonable expectation to expect a stable FPS on the lowest settings with hardware above recommended. Granted, performance has gotten a little bit better with patch three, but it has a long way to go. And I'm glad Techland has acknowledged that fact. Hopefully the game will be better in a few weeks.

Rizzi

How can I lock my framerate at 30? I'd rather a consistent framerate over than one that jumps around all the time.

c0Zm1c

I've said it before but I'll say it again, they need to make a change to the lower end of that view distance slider. To get a smooth 60fps I need to edit the file outside of the game. Also, judging by what I've seen in video clips of the console versions in action, the equivalent setting for those versions is much, much lower than in the PC version so it would make sense to allow PC gamers to set it that low as well (without having to edit files manually!) to help maintain a desired framerate.

Did anyone manage to get rid of the chromatic aberration?

I downloaded the supposed fix from nexus mods but it refuses to fuck off

So frustrating

Just tried the very latest version of Dying Light manager above and CA removal doesn't seem to work at all even with Motion Blur enabled ingame. Am I missing something or is this normal ?

pa22word

Just tried the very latest version of Dying Light manager above and CA removal doesn't seem to work at all even with Motion Blur enabled ingame. Am I missing something or is this normal ?

Did you click the "enable mods" button on the tool? Because that's what actually changes the files in game to remove it. Otherwise maybe try running it as an admin? The fix doesn't totally remove it, as apparently it's built into the shader on stuff in the far distance, but it does remove the majority of the postfx stuff so that it's mostly unnoticeable unless you're looking for it.

Yup I did all that but there's still CA on the far distance just like you said

clipboard-3wru1x.jpg

Oh well. I don't mind it that much while playing but I can see why it would hurt screenshots

d1rtn4p

I have two 970's in SLI mode. I'm getting these really bad pauses when going into a cutscene or when I go into close combat with a zombie. It really messes me up because it seems that the zombies can still hit me during the 1-2 second pause. Performance is totally fine otherwise...Anyone else running into this?

rbanke

Is the CA responsible for how blurry everything seems to look? Playing on PC at 1080 Ive turned off motion blur, NVIDIA DOF & HBAO+, and it is very blurry looking. My brother in law who I'm playing with says the same thing. I thought CA was just used during explosions or hits or whatever, not a constant on thing.

Denton

Fuck me. I played the entire first part, Slums, in vsync off and suffered the tearing, since enabling vsync ingame dropped framerate like a rock.
But I decided to try out the borderless windowed gaming app, and it works like a charm. No more tearing and no more framedrops, yay.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I have two 970's in SLI mode. I'm getting these really bad pauses when going into a cutscene or when I go into close combat with a zombie. It really messes me up because it seems that the zombies can still hit me during the 1-2 second pause. Performance is totally fine otherwise...Anyone else running into this?

It's the Nvidia DoF, turn it off until they fix it.

TedNindo

This game is a serious resource hog. Is anyone getting a solid 60?

I run the game on a 4770k at 4.7ghz with 16GB's of ram and an r290 on water and I can't get a stable 60.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This game is a serious resource hog. Is anyone getting a solid 60?

I run the game on a 4770k at 4.7ghz with 16GB's of ram and an r290 on water and I can't get a stable 60.

60fps 99.9% of the time. Nvidia DoF off, view distance to mininum and everything else on/max. i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz, GTX 970, 8GB RAM

60fps 99.9% of the time. Nvidia DoF off, view distance to mininum and everything else on/max. i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz, GTX 970, 8GB RAM

damn, I really flubbed when i didn't buy the K version of the 3570. I get to the low 40's during some spots. I still get 60fps on most areas. Maybe like 80% of the time, and that's me being generous.

c0Zm1c

If you're having trouble getting, or maintaining 60fps, try lowering the values for VisRange in Documents/DyingLight/out/settings/video.scr (it can be opened with Notepad). It's tied to View Distance in game and the default lowest is 1.40, but you can manually set it lower to increase framerate. At the default lowest I was getting 60fps with drops to around 45fps in places but setting the value to 1.00 I now get 60fps pretty much everywhere. Lower values are possible, but with increasing amounts of pop in. Be aware that making changes to the video settings in game will reset this value back, so it will need editing again if you do.

Snoogans2you

Neo Member
If you're having trouble getting, or maintaining 60fps, try lowering the values for VisRange in Documents/DyingLight/out/settings/video.scr (it can be opened with Notepad). It's tied to View Distance in game and the default lowest is 1.40, but you can manually set it lower to increase framerate. At the default lowest I was getting 60fps with drops to around 45fps in places but setting the value to 1.00 I now get 60fps pretty much everywhere. Lower values are possible, but with increasing amounts of pop in. Be aware that making changes to the video settings in game will reset this value back, so it will need editing again if you do.

Just to add to this... to edit the video.scr file, create a shortcut on your desktop to notepad, then you have to drag video.scr file over the shortcut and it will open in notepad. For some reason in Windows 8.1 I couldn't just select notepad as the program to open .scr files with, it only worked doing it this way.

pa22word

Just to add to this... to edit the video.scr file, create a shortcut on your desktop to notepad, then you have to drag video.scr file over the shortcut and it will open in notepad. For some reason in Windows 8.1 I couldn't just select notepad as the program to open .scr files with, it only worked doing it this way.

Just rename it to video.txt and you can open it with notepad, fyi.

Also you guys can edit all that stuff in there with the Dying Light Manager that I posted above, that also enables removing CA and the film grain effect with loads more other optimizations that you can make.

Just picked this up today, I locked it to 30fps with Rivatuner and have everything on medium with AO on and AA on, view distance down to 0. I'm okay with this I suppose, I'm using a i5-2500k @4.2Ghz and a 2GB 7850.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
damn, I really flubbed when i didn't buy the K version of the 3570. I get to the low 40's during some spots. I still get 60fps on most areas. Maybe like 80% of the time, and that's me being generous.

Yeah, the overclock makes a huge difference and the K version was only like £20 more expensive if I remember correctly.

Anyone else have a problem with Rivatuner disabling the Steam overlay?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working, just had to enable Custom Direct3D Support in Rivatuner.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
OK so the more I play the more I notice bad performance, it'll be 60fps locked but then absolutely tank to 30fps and be really, really laggy to the point where I can't really parkour properly. It doesn't happen that often, but some areas are clearly very broken.

For example:

This whole area was unplayable, thankfully it only took a couple of minutes to complete.

Lender

Does anyone know how I can stop the game from changing the color tone when losing health? I'm using the Dying Light Manager, with a sweetfx installed, and when having full health the color palette looks like this:

ctZJuZb.jpg

But when losing health, the game now adds this green/yellow filter, and it just looks off.

VMiUPob.jpg

therapist

So is High textures with only 2GB of VRAM a big no-no? I decided to kick it up from medium and it seems to be stuttering a lot more.

Ya , i had to turn mine to medium on my gtx660 2gb , on high it would stutter a lot.
Unfortunately the new drivers seem to run the game a smidge worse for me as well (The ones released today)

Id say im getting 2-3 fps less now , not having changed anything but the drivers - which is weird as its usually the other way around with new drivers :/

Top Bottom