• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

Tigress

How are you supposed to level up the legend skills?
70% through The Following, my co-op partner and me are like level 5 out of 250 (!) legendary levels.
I hate how they added these levels for grinding folks that are ready to play this game for 500 hours.
I like the challenge of Hard and after being a god in Normal it was necessary to switch, but loosing pretty much all XP everytime you die so you are not progressing at all? BS.

Must be because I'm on normal but I don't lose all my XP when I die (nor even enough for me to tell a lot). As for your other complaints, I can't say cause I'm on normal and I don't find it that hard (hammers don't kill me in one shot for example).

What i don't like is the virals and bloaters constantly spamming you. It's bad enough that the bloaters spawn everywhere (especially if you are driving a lot. I'm sure there is some algorithm that makes it spawn them more if you are driving) so that you constantly get virals after you (though I find if you keep driving and don't slow down/crash, you can outrun the area the virals run to but if you are in the same area, they run to you, not where the bloater exploded). But then to have the virals randomly run to you when nothing happened is ridiculous (sometimes wave after wave). It's not challenging, it's just annoying. Now I have to stop and take care of them before going to where ever I was going. And I keep having to do this. Stop already! I even went and took care of all the hives cause I heard it made the virals spawn less. It may have. But not enough I don't still find them annoying. (and on a side note they made a great job of making the Hives creepy).

Also, I hate that if you put all your legendary points in one thing, after a bit it requires you do something else (I just discovered that I can't put any more legendary points into bow until I'm level 20... are you kidding me?! I don't care about the other legendary points and I don't want to spam to level 20 to make my bow even more powerful by just one level).

(and yes, I do love the game and the Following DLC but there are definitely some annoyances and things I think they could have done better).

Guy.brush

I don't think there is going to be anybody sane enough to try and reach 250 legitly. The points are waaaaay too much.

It is something like 2.000.000 aid packages apparently. Really weird decision from Techland tbh.
You need at least a couple of the health ones and then a major investment in one of the weapon skills for the game to become "enjoyable" as a fun zombie romp again.
With the ultra-punishing XP loss on HARD (which is like the midtier difficulty!) it feels like we will give up on the game soon. Just don't get the jump from Normal to hard at all.
Ridiculous over the top XP punishment when you cannot even max max half of the legend skill levels anyway without resorting to cheating.

It is something like 2.000.000 aid packages apparently. Really weird decision from Techland tbh.
You need at least a couple of the health ones and then a major investment in one of the weapon skills for the game to become "enjoyable" as a fun zombie romp again.
With the ultra-punishing XP loss on HARD (which is like the midtier difficulty!) it feels like we will give up on the game soon. Just don't get the jump from Normal to hard at all.
Ridiculous over the top XP punishment when you cannot even max max half of the legend skill levels anyway without resorting to cheating.

Hint: relief packages can be turned in in the base game in Breckin's Tower. Switch difficulty to Nightmare and turn in all your packages. For some odd reason, the bonus exp gain from Nightmare doesn't apply in The Following. Essentially you're gonna need to farm about 10k packages and turn them all in at Breckin's Tower. Shoots you up to max legend immediately.

Farming for packages can be done endlessly I believe in The Following? Since airdrops still appear for me. You can also farm and beat all the Quarantine Zones for some extra packages.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the expansion after 20 hours with a mate of mine and absolutely loved it tbh. Loved the buggy and found it a nice change driving all over the place with the mix of buggy/parkour. I was worried that I would have to repair/refuel a lot but it never really seemed that bad and I didn't even have the perks for reduced fuel usage. We only played on Normal though and I don't think I'd want to play the game on Hard/Nightmare, doesn't sound like much fun tbh. I found Normal to be just right.

icespide

Banned
trying to slog my way through this thing. can I skip all of these "destroy the volatile hive" missions? between waiting until night and dealing with the buggy those missions are pain in the ass!

jediyoshi

Patch 1.11.0 release notes:

Added new community created maps
Various stability improvements, including co-op
Fixed quarantine zones not being playable more than once
Removed common duplication exploits
Minor tweaks and fixes improving the game
Added NVIDIA Percentage Closer Soft Shadows (PCSS)

Dying Light: The Following fixes:
Fixed quest progression issues in certain situations
Balance and progression tweaks

600.6mb

icespide

Banned
so I'm on the final mission of the DLC, I'm completely out of med packs. I've got a 6 minute timer to drive 2km, I manage to get there but I have to climb up to get there, and there are tons of guys shooting at me. I don't have any medkits so I always die.

There's no way to cancel the mission or go back so I can scrounge up medkits or get resources for crafting medkits. fuck this DLC. I really enjoyed the main game but fuck this, I'll watch the ending on youtube

mujun

so I'm on the final mission of the DLC, I'm completely out of med packs. I've got a 6 minute timer to drive 2km, I manage to get there but I have to climb up to get there, and there are tons of guys shooting at me. I don't have any medkits so I always die.

There's no way to cancel the mission or go back so I can scrounge up medkits or get resources for crafting medkits. fuck this DLC. I really enjoyed the main game but fuck this, I'll watch the ending on youtube

Have you been buying medkits from each vendor you visit?

You should have time to hit up the gas station vendor on the way to the refinery. I got into the habit as soon as possible in an effort to have a small supply at all times.

icespide

Banned
Have you been buying medkits from each vendor you visit?

You should have time to hit up the gas station vendor on the way to the refinery. I got into the habit as soon as possible in an effort to have a small supply at all times.

yep whenever I come across a vendor I walkway buy them. I blew through all of them in the fight at the grainary

Varth

At the Atilla Missions right now, and just noticed why I was finding this frustrating: I was playing on Nightmare from a save with avg 14lv in all trees :(

Just got a look at the enhancements and wondering: did someone notice any of that? Am I missing something?

New Parkour Moves
New Enemy Attacks & Behaviors
Improved Human Enemy AI
Improved Volatile AI

EDIT: also, why is Bozak Horde shit? Played a couple rounds, and aside from it being pretty difficult in solo, I didn't notice the shitty side of it.

Deadstar

Anyone use shields in this game? I just got the upgrade skill and I made the stone shield but it doesn't seem to do anything. It said something about timing attacks and I've only tried it on zombies so maybe I need to try it on humans.

Also, I'm on keyboard, is there an easier way to switch these secondary items other than holding the 1 key?

Anyone use shields in this game? I just got the upgrade skill and I made the stone shield but it doesn't seem to do anything. It said something about timing attacks and I've only tried it on zombies so maybe I need to try it on humans.

Also, I'm on keyboard, is there an easier way to switch these secondary items other than holding the 1 key?

Shields are pretty good against humans considering they love to parry your melee attacks. Craft the electric shield or the ice shield and the effect stuns them and opens them up to a decapitation

Did anyone download the new console update for the Following? Digging around it seems like the overpowered guns have been nerfed. I'm curious if they fixed the constant spawning virals as well?

Looks like my 2550 dmg shotgun hasn't changed, but the Legend points spent on guns have dropped from +50% dmg per point, to +10% dmg per point.

I drove around in my buggy a bit, and got out and attacked a few zombies. Zombies still feel like they're respawning behind you (clear out a group, and while you're killing the last one, you get attacked from behind by 2-3 new ones that weren't there a second ago). Also when you make a loud noise or an exploding zombie detonates, you hear a scream and virals pop up in all directions on the minimap, just like before.

Tigress

Looks like my 2550 dmg shotgun hasn't changed, but the Legend points spent on guns have dropped from +50% dmg per point, to +10% dmg per point.

I drove around in my buggy a bit, and got out and attacked a few zombies. Zombies still feel like they're respawning behind you (clear out a group, and while you're killing the last one, you get attacked from behind by 2-3 new ones that weren't there a second ago). Also when you make a loud noise or an exploding zombie detonates, you hear a scream and virals pop up in all directions on the minimap, just like before.

God. I hope they didn't nerf the crossbow/bow the same way (or nerf it). And honestly they should improve the bow from the following as its range makes it useless with how short it goes and little damage it does you are better off just sticking with your melee weapon. I don't mind they keep it weak damage (but faster reload than the crossbow), but the range needs to be father cause the fast reload doesn't make up for the short range and weak damage.

Hell, if they nerf the legend levels on the crossbow they will have made an already horrible weapon even worse as that affects the bow too.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, the latest patch. They finally fucking did it, they added a toggle for the Chromatic Abberation. No longer will my eyes cry for help when I play this.

Magical Drop

Neo Member
Latest patch seems to have messed up the PC version for me - I'm getting massive flickering from the lighting and that thing where certain textures get drawn out from a single point in the map and stretched across certain angles. :(

Dunkelgrau

I have not much time to play games.

I actually wanted to start directly with The Following on PS4 today, because I heard that it is better then the main-game. I know that this is possible, but is it advisable?

]blacky[;199741214 said:

I actually wanted to start directly with The Following on PS4 today, because I heard that it is better then the main-game. I know that this is possible, but is it advisable?

Mmmh, not really, you will have a really hard time by not having any "ability" in your main character and the grapple.

And you may want some guns to take out humans.

Liamc723

]blacky[;199741214 said:

I'd say the original game is much better than the DLC.

Ricker

Fuck that last section of The Following...jesus christ,and they suggest you put the game on Nightmare to gain more legend points lol...overall I enjoyed it but some parts are rage quitting bad.

Dunkelgrau

As you suggested I started with the main game - and I love it. To climb is one of my favourite activity's in games. Maybe Dying Light will become my GOTY.

It's a shame that in Germany were are not allowed to speak about this game. ;-)

I play on hard and have currently no chance (tried Pact with Rais, Mother's Day ...). I love challenges, but maybe you have some tips for me?

MMaRsu

Banned
Can you turn off the Chromatic Aberration on the ps4 version as well these days? Since I heard the pc version got patched

Did they improve the framerate on the PS4?

Im usually not a stickler for this but the Following gets pretty bad in spots especially during co-op.

I'm not sure. I just did a quick google search for new dying light ps4 patch and they mostly refer to the March update. No word on frame rate fixes, spawn fixes, a.i. fixes, or disabling ca.

I haven't logged in since I finished the dlc. I think at this point, if you are paying attention to Dying Light console patches you might be sol.

I did another search regarding the console patch:

- Various stability improvements, including co-op

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm not sure. I just did a quick google search for new dying light ps4 patch and they mostly refer to the March update. No word on frame rate fixes, spawn fixes, a.i. fixes, or disabling ca.

I haven't logged in since I finished the dlc. I think at this point, if you are paying attention to Dying Light console patches you might be sol.

I did another search regarding the console patch:

- Various stability improvements, including co-op

Damn.. oh well I tweeted them about the CA toggle, I hope I get an answer.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Starting the expansion now, I've been saving it so I hope it's good. Dying Light was a 9/10 for me and my #2 of last year.

SliChillax

Maybe it's been mentioned but I don't have the option of new game plus. Game is updated, have completed the story 100% and when I select advanced options I get no new game plus.

Starting the expansion now, I've been saving it so I hope it's good. Dying Light was a 9/10 for me and my #2 of last year.
Don't keep your expectations high.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Don't keep your expectations high.

I've put a couple of hours into it and it just hasn't clicked for me and I don't really know why, it just isn't giving me the same pleasure as the base game.

SliChillax

I've put a couple of hours into it and it just hasn't clicked for me and I don't really know why, it just isn't giving me the same pleasure as the base game.
Because you're in a huge field with nothing interesting to climb. Parkour is almost gone, there are virals spawning all the time out of nowhere, there is no fast travel and objectives are always so far away and it gets incredibly boring. Lack of fast travel wasnt a problem in the main game because parkour was so fun but here it's just a huge field and some hills. These are just a few of the issues that I had with the expansion. It's one of the few times where I simply couldn't finish the game and stopped playing.

You have to love the vehicle. Like take care of it, actually having to farm for a shitload of resources just to keep it running. It takes you out of the dlc and the initial draw of the base game: the parkour.

The expansion heavily pushes the vehicle in your face. If you are not using the vehicle you are playing the expansion wrong. I had some time to spare and a fellow friend to help me dupe resources and it made the expansion a shitload more enjoyable. Not saying you need to resort to cheating to enjoy it.

I stopped playing it after a few hours; just didn't enjoy the driving and the almost complete lack of parkour, which was the most enjoyable part of the main game. Driving anywhere was a hassle because the are just too damn many zombies out in the fields, and I hate how the buggy seems to be made of light plastic.

I stopped playing it after a few hours; just didn't enjoy the driving and the almost complete lack of parkour, which was the most enjoyable part of the main game. Driving anywhere was a hassle because the are just too damn many zombies out in the fields, and I hate how the buggy seems to be made of light plastic.

Same here.

Talk about being out of touch with why your fans love your game in the first place.

Same here.

Talk about being out of touch with why your fans love your game in the first place.

The thing is, I was so excited for this and it's the only full-price season pass I've ever bought (specifically for The Following). I thought it looked amazing from previews and I liked that they were introducing new stuff and weren't just cut & pasting the main game. But the buggy was so weak, there are far too many zombies out in the field which constantly respawn (which increases tedium by about 10x), and having to drive for 4 or 5 minutes to the next objective just wasn't much fun at all. I dunno, man. Maybe I just got caught up in the hype too much, but I felt so burned by this.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Because you're in a huge field with nothing interesting to climb. Parkour is almost gone, there are virals spawning all the time out of nowhere, there is no fast travel and objectives are always so far away and it gets incredibly boring. Lack of fast travel wasnt a problem in the main game because parkour was so fun but here it's just a huge field and some hills. These are just a few of the issues that I had with the expansion. It's one of the few times where I simply couldn't finish the game and stopped playing.

Come to think of it that's exactly it, I just spend all my time driving from point A to B, the parkour has basically been removed and it was a huge part of the fun, and because I don't want to keep getting in and out of the car I don't really kill anything unless they're directly in the way of my quest objective. Who would have thought their whole "bigger than the main game" selling point was going to be its downfall.

thenexus6

Yup, I finished the "story" but never went back to finish the million other things. The lack of fast travel is incredibly annoying.

Top Bottom