• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Conference And Livestream Schedule Thread

Tagg9

Probably already posted, but it's nice to hear EA will be showing new IP.

"EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Preview" (3:00-4:00 pm ET/ 12:00 -1:00 pm PT) will showcase EA's commitment to great player experiences with an exciting new lineup of games and services. Fans will get to see the innovations within some of EA's most beloved franchises, including Battlefield Hardline, as well as sneak peeks at new intellectual properties currently in development. Following the briefing, EA CEO Andrew Wilson will be interviewed about the company's announcements and reveals.

That's not really fair. If this was an actual rule and something not ginned up out of thin air, the classy thing to do would be to put it in writing somewhere.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rösti;114289522 said:
In case you missed my earlier post, Nirolak, can I still post my E3 2014 | General Information & FAQ thread?

Yes, this thread definitely isn't as extensive.

We'll probably just switch to yours when it's ready on Friday.

I'm trying to keep the number of stickiest down due to how mobile works.

Using the OT OT to claim something that's not an OT is also obviously not the intent of the thread so....

...so put a fat "don't claim press conference threads because they work on some weird OP for life basis" disclaimer at the top so I don't look like a fool in that thread. Or better idea, close that thread because everyone abuses the shit out of it anyway.

Whatever. Not my problem.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, this thread definitely isn't as extensive.

We'll probably just switch to yours when it's ready on Friday.

I'm trying to keep the number of stickiest down due to how mobile works.
Excellent, thanks for answering. And yeah, regarding mobile, I think it's quite dull many mobile browsers do not support SVG. I tried with some SVG text last year but there were complaints that it did not display properly, so I guess I'll go with PNG and BMP this year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
...so put a fat "don't claim press conference threads because they work on some weird OP for life basis" disclaimer at the top so I don't look like a fool in that thread. Or better idea, close that thread because everyone abuses the shit out of it anyway.

Whatever. Not my problem.

Okay, so let's deal with this in a way that incorporates us both here.

What did you feel is lacking in the threads that should be there? The idea for these is to be fairly minimalistic these days since the posters need bandwidth for the actual livestream and a lot might be on mobile, so a huge or visual heavy OP makes that painful for them.

Okay, so let's deal with this in a way that incorporates us both here.

What did you feel is lacking in the threads that should be there? The idea for these is to be fairly minimalistic these days since the posters need bandwidth for the actual livestream and a lot might be on mobile, so a huge or visual heavy OP makes that painful for them.

That's actually a great argument for me to let this just slide. I was actually looking at your thread from last year earlier, and was getting an impression that the kind of threads I like to make would probably be inappropriate for what should really just be stream link + timetable + brief outline of expected content. (My threads are usually more wordy than anything, not big on image overloads, but it's still probably extraneous colour.)

So yeah, just handle it yourself like usual. No big deal. I'll just know now for the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's actually a great argument for me to let this just slide. I was actually looking at your thread from last year earlier, and was getting an impression that the kind of threads I like to make would probably be inappropriate for what should really just be stream link + timetable + brief outline of expected content. (My threads are usually more wordy than anything, not big on image overloads, but it's still probably extraneous colour.)

So yeah, just handle it yourself like usual. No big deal. I'll just know now for the future.

I've went and updated the |OT| |OT| to reflect it shouldn't be used to claim any E3 stickies or financial reports in the future.

General E3 non-stickies I left in.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So from now on we'll go with "seniority"? By that I mean, "we'll ask the people who usually does those threads".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So from now on we'll go with "seniority"?

So I guess to give some background on this, prior to me just handing the stickies to the same people every year, we often ended up in situations where I'd have to juggle a bunch of people panicking about how the person who was supposed to post the OT was late or did the time conversion wrong or forgot there was a pre-show or got called in to work and I'd get seas of PMs and panicking posters asking what was going on and there'd be a huge mess.

Now, Hot Coldman is a responsible poster and likely would have done a perfectly fine job, but just taking a set of people I knew did the threads correctly every year saved a huge amount of headaches.

If I put the threads up for general claiming in the |OT| |OT|, then we risk going back to the exact situation we ended up with in the past. We also have some passive aggressive behavior in there like someone claiming the Sony E3 2015 thread already because the 2014 thread was taken. With how that thread works right now, we could have arbitrary posters claim it all the way to 2042.

Basically my hope is that we get people who make relatively simple E3 stickies on time and that are mobile friendly (since we have huge traffic to the site during E3, and people are at work during the day and often looking at stuff like this on their phone), so basically for something that isn't super elaborate or ostentatious I figure the basic job we need is just "Someone who can show up on time and post the thread." since it's not a fanciful artistic statement in the same way an actual OT often is.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Basically my hope is that we get people who make relatively simple E3 stickies on time and that are mobile friendly (since we have huge traffic to the site during E3, and people are at work during the day and often looking at stuff like this on their phone), so basically for something that isn't super elaborate or ostentatious I figure the basic job we need is just "Someone who can show up on time and post the thread." since it's not a fanciful artistic statement in the same way an actual OT often is.

My thread for the Digital Event will have only one 999x359 banner and 3 other smaller ones. Nothing complicated and I'll do test to see if it's mobile friendly, did one already and it looks ok.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My thread for the Digital Event will have only one 999x359 banner and 3 other smaller ones. Nothing complicated and I'll do test to see if it's mobile friendly, did one already and it looks ok.

Yes, that's perfectly fine.

My concern is more like lengthy gifs that are 20 megabytes as those actually cause some phones to crash or basically fail to load pages, or even worse, cause the person to keep streaming the gif in another tab while they're trying to really load the stream.

Now, obviously some people reply with gifs to the first page, but this year I'm going to try and actively delete all gifs in the first 100 posts.

Double D

Gonna be in the middle of nowhere on vacation Monday and Tuesday. First time I'll be missing the conferences in a long time.

Some Nobody

My concern is more like lengthy gifs that are 20 megabytes as those actually cause some phones to crash or basically fail to load pages, or even worse, cause the person to keep streaming the gif in another tab while they're trying to really load the stream.

Now, obviously some people reply with gifs to the first page, but this year I'm going to try and actively delete all gifs in the first 100 posts.

Your work will start with post #1, I'm almost certain of it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This I agree with 100%. Does it include images?

Most images are pretty small and manageable on a phone, but if someone posts like 4 large screenshots I'll do something about it.

I'll also try loading the first page on my phone using 3G to see if it works okay.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Finally.

To be clear, claiming E3 threads is no-no or is it just for E3 sticky threads? I meant that I already claimed E3 GIF/WEBM 2014 and E3's Smash Tournament and Impression thread. I want to make sure that I wouldn't repeat the same mistake for E3 2015.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Finally.

To be clear, claiming E3 threads is no-no or is it just for E3 sticky threads? I meant that I already claimed E3 GIF/WEBM 2014 and E3's Smash Tournament and Impression thread. I want to make sure that I wouldn't repeat the same mistake for E3 2015.

Only the stickies. The non-stickies are decidedly less procedural threads and if someone is a tad late to a 46 hour long livestream about Capcom games or Battlefield: Hardline multiplayer footage I'm less worried.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Think I'll put the "no gifs for the first 100 posts in this thread" as a rule in my Thread. That could maybe cut you some work.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Think I'll put the "no gifs for the first 100 posts in this thread" as a rule in my Thread. That could maybe cut you some work.

It can be a great test of how many people read the OP yet still manage to post in the first 100 posts!

Pachimari

This is like the most helpful thread in a long time especially because of the countdowns for us internationals who aren't good with timezones. I hope we'll add countdowns to the start of IGN, Gametrailers etc streams.

Logash

My boss gave me 5 days off starting Friday because we are doing inventory on the 12th and this is the first summer I will not be taking summer classes in two years. My 5 days will start with me and my friends playing Mario kart, going out to eat, and filling out the gaps with orange is the new black. Then I will go shopping on Sunday to get ready for E3. Then of course Monday will be me at home watching Microsoft's and EA's conferences and then I will have to skip ubisofts to get to the theater early enough to get some good seats. There I will end the day woth Sony's conference. The following day will be Nintendo and afterwards I'll watch ubis if cool stuff were shown.

Kayant

Subbed... Thanks for the summary Nirolak. Going to be tough with the back to back pressers. Damn you UK timing.

Logash

Question though. I was under the impression that GAF is pretty much down during most of E3. Is this not true?

Frolow

Banned
So I guess to give some background on this, prior to me just handing the stickies to the same people every year, we often ended up in situations where I'd have to juggle a bunch of people panicking about how the person who was supposed to post the OT was late or did the time conversion wrong or forgot there was a pre-show or got called in to work and I'd get seas of PMs and panicking posters asking what was going on and there'd be a huge mess.

Now, Hot Coldman is a responsible poster and likely would have done a perfectly fine job, but just taking a set of people I knew did the threads correctly every year saved a huge amount of headaches.

If I put the threads up for general claiming in the |OT| |OT|, then we risk going back to the exact situation we ended up with in the past. We also have some passive aggressive behavior in there like someone claiming the Sony E3 2015 thread already because the 2014 thread was taken. With how that thread works right now, we could have arbitrary posters claim it all the way to 2042.

What? No passive aggressive intentions on my end, I just wanted to make an E3 thread in the future lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What? No passive aggressive intentions on my end, I just wanted to make an E3 thread in the future lol.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you, but I've seen it in other threads outside OT OT where people get sniping at each other or PM complaints asking to do just that.

I realize why my statement could be confusing there though.

Frolow

Banned
I wasn't necessarily referring to you, but I've seen it in other threads outside OT OT where people get sniping at each other or PM complaints asking to do just that.

I realize why my statement could be confusing there though.

Ah, that's fine. I thought my claim was okay since ULTROS claimed last year's thread at an even earlier date than I did this year, wasn't aware of any policy changes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah, that's fine. I thought my claim was okay since ULTROS claimed last year's thread at an even earlier date than I did this year, wasn't aware of any policy changes.
That was totally my mistake via not looking at what types of things were actually getting reserved in the thread and putting out clarifications.

If you are interested in an E3 thread though that's not a sticky by all means you can even do one for this year.

Frolow

Banned
That was totally my mistake via not looking at what types of things were actually getting reserved in the thread and putting out clarifications.

If you are interested in an E3 thread though that's not a sticky by all means you can even do one for this year.

Alright. Just to clarify something, the Spoiler-Free E3 Thread isn't one of the stickied topics is it? I saw a few people requesting one and I'd be down for making it.

Alright. Just to clarify something, the Spoiler-Free E3 Thread isn't one of the stickied topics is it? I saw a few people requesting one and I'd be down for making it.

I would be really grateful, once again Microsoft's conference falls at 4am over here :(

Top Bottom