• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA holding live conf on PS4 today at Morgan Stanley tech conf [Up: Summary in OP]

Lime

I laugh at the scenario in which a regular customer (i.e. an uninvited dad or mom buying stuff for their children) walks into a game store, asks for the next Battlefield/Sims/whatever, and is greeted with the price of 70 Euro for the game.

Here in Denmark our game prices would be equivalent to $100 if a similar rise in price should happen.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
clock.jpg

I feel impending doom for this medium

Portugeezer

I swear if I lived down under or in Europe, I'd never play games. I'd be broke within a year.

UK (in Europe) is closer to US prices though. £40 is literally $60 (though £40 is below the £50 recommended retail price, don't know if in US $60 is below the RRP in America), which is surprising because things are usually more expensive than US but not the games.

BobLoblaw

Banned
$70 games? Lulz. I've been down that road before. I bought a shit ton of N64 games at that price and never again. Thank god I mostly game on PC these days.

sleepykyo

Mod Edit: Before anyone gets too upset, this is a Morgan Stanley event, which means it's for investors and thus will likely be a very high level talk about how EA likes the PS4 and how it will make them lots of money as opposed to them actually showing games.

[*]No pricing on retail games set, but you may see a trend of "$69.99" at start and dropping down to $59.99 similar to the beginning of the current generation.

Sound like a reason for consumers to get upset. And it won't drop back down and it doesn't fail miserably at the start.

[*]Absence at PS4 reveal is not indicative to their status on the console.

Nintendo can vouch for how trustworthy EA's support is.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The bf4 talk is highly intriguing already,.

Also fuck $69.99 games, fuck that.

Couple that in with the dlc crap... Yeah no.

If games are $70 at launch I could see a lot of people using the consoles for non-gaming purposes and buying fewer games or more downloadable games.

This is a unique challenge that no other generation has had to face. Now that these machines do so many other things and also have an online market place of cheap games there are many alternative ways to use the new consoles. In the past the only thing you could do other than play games was watch a movie on DVD.

Yes at 360 launch there was Geometry Wars and a few other games, but it wasn't much selection. The quality of downloadable games has increased drastically in the past 8 years and the available functionality of consoles is increasing exponentially.

Just raising game prices to $70 isn't going to do it and forced bundling may price these machines beyond demand, there's going to have to be some creative ways of minimizing losses, whether it be paywalling used games & legacy games, subscription services, season pass requirements, advertising; IDK. This is the problem with the hardcore game industry. Making games is getting more expensive and fewer people are going to be able/willing to afford these types of games. Demand is going to have to be super high for retail store bundling to work at $70/game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
$69 dollar games? Hell no. You won't have my money, not even for ME2. I'll buy it used if my PS4 allows it.

I swear, sometimes these insiders seem to be more favorable to MS when there's no evidence that indicates, or there's evidence that actually contradicts them.

Don't know about what he posted all day, but he's right about MS's plans for 100% Durango GPU efficiency. But he's not the only one that stated that.

Also that doesn't rule out Sony engineering their GPU for 100% efficiency as well.

The goal is to get the most that you can out of hardware.

I thought that full 100% efficiency was impossible. Now, near 100%, I can believe. But another poster in the same thread where thuway posted that said that Sony was doing the same, since they were using GCN architecture.

http://thespigot.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/clock.jpg[/ IMG]

I feel impending doom for this medium[/QUOTE]

That clock seems awfully away from apocalypse. We should be about 4 minutes into apocalypse with MS probably killing used games, and EA talking about 69$ games.

Izick

The market is slowly inching towards collapse if games get more expensive. The reason why they're still considered this niche weirdo shit by some people is because they're so inaccessible to so many people because they're so damn expensive.

I know we all said this when games went to 60$, but I honestly think going any higher is the tipping point. It's just too much.

gatti-man

I seriously believe $70 games will cause a crash. Consumers have a plethora of cheap iOS games and colossal backlogs to choose from now.

No way. Not even $80 games would cause a crash. Too many old gamers. It might hurt sales or delay purchases but it wouldn't kill gaming.

Hattori

Banned
No way. Not even $80 games would cause a crash. Too many old gamers. It might hurt sales or delay purchases but it wouldn't kill gaming.
Keep in mind that most of these old gamers, most often than not, have families and mortgages they have to worry about, $70 a game is borderline insane, it will definitely hurt the industry

Barakov

$69.99? No thank you. As it stands, games are expensive enough. And having micro transactions on top of that is maddening.

dab0ne

$80 would be a big step in the wrong direction. $70 isn't much better. You better believe if games were $70 for price of entry I'm gonna wait for a drop or a used copy.

Portugeezer

The prices Vary greatly depending on the game though. Some are £35 while others are £47 at launch. And everywhere in between.

Yeah UK is not too bad, the EU € prices are absurd though.

Isn't it like €50 or €60 a game? I know some EU countries can afford that, but a lot of them can't and that is the problem with EU pricing.

alterno69

Banned
Meh, games have always been pretty expensive in Mexico anyway, i paid $1,000 usd for my PS2 back then and around $750 for my PS3, games are already around 80usd anyway. Gaming has always been an expensive hobby, 10 extra bucks won't kill the media, shitty games and lack of innovation and new series will.

gatti-man

$80 would be a big step in the wrong direction. $70 isn't much better. You better believe if games were $70 for price of entry I'm gonna wait for a drop or a used copy.

Used copies still provide revenue through a new purchase and online pass. No one like price increases but games were historically more expensive than they are now and guess what? No crash. Was the market smaller? Sure. But no crash.

Klocker

... $70?

if they kill the used market then that's more crazy still.

If they go all DD and kill used they had damned well better go $39.99 or only sell 25 game releases a year as nobody is buying that chit

alterno69

Banned
I wonder what would happen if game companies released tow versions of every game, lets say one for 60 usd that can't be resold or used in another console/account and another for 70usd that could be sold and reused. I bet the 60 version would sell way more than the 70 one despite most people saying they would not buy a console that blocks used games. IMO if the retail version allowed me to download de digital version like most BD movies do, i'd have no problem with that.

Ultryx

Um. $70 for next-gen games? Are you out of your fucking minds?!

Oh well, PC games are usually half-price within the first couple months of releasing. I don't want to pay $70 for BF4 though.

I can't wait until they try selling games at $70. The prices will drop before you can say "BOMBA!"

too be fair, prices already drop pretty rapidly on non best sellers.

it's all sort of variable pricing and attempt to maximize revenue, you may pay 70 at first, and 30-40 if you wait a bit for the sales/price cuts. they will try to get those early adaptors for the most dollars.

i'd be interested in pricing by dev cost. pay 80 for gta 5? i cant even imagine the costs to make gta 5...and it has huge content. but maybe 40 for generic fps with 6 hr campaign?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
$69 dollar games? Hell no. You won't have my money, not even for ME2. I'll buy it used if my PS4 allows it.

I swear, sometimes these insiders seem to be more favorable to MS when there's no evidence that indicates, or there's evidence that actually contradicts them.

I thought that full 100% efficiency was impossible. Now, near 100%, I can believe. But another poster in the same thread where thuway posted that said that Sony was doing the same, since they were using GCN architecture.

That clock seems awfully away from apocalypse. We should be about 4 minutes into apocalypse with MS probably killing used games, and EA talking about 69$ games.

I had found a Watchmen chapter 12 one, but it was too big and I'm too lazy to resize it :p

Nizz

welcome to our world Americans. They charge close to $100 in Australia / New Zealand and $90 in Europe...

I swear if I lived down under or in Europe, I'd never play games. I'd be broke within a year.
Pretty much, I feel for our European peoples. $60 here in the US is a pretty hefty investment.

The talk of Battlefield 4 looking stunning has me super excited, even more exciting is that we may get 1080p/60fps on the next gen consoles. :0

But that potential $70 price point is a wet blanket. Games are pretty expensive now, and America is broke....

I wouldn't mind paying $70 for a 1080p/60fps battlefield with 64 players; however I would never pay that amount for game like FIFA and Madden. I'm just too hyped for next gen battlefield at the moment, so that's probably why, but if I snap to my senses, I can see that $70 for a game for a most likely around $400 console is way too much.

Desty

Banned
Well, a $70 game might actually make smaller games at $5-10 look like a better deal and give small devs money for better production values.

As other people have mentioned, it will just make me become more choosey in my game purchases.

Just imagine if they went to $70 and they got their wish of digital only. Then the prices wouldn't drop like they do now for retail games. We'd have $50 two year old games!

I laugh at the scenario in which a regular customer (i.e. an uninvited dad or mom buying stuff for their children) walks into a game store, asks for the next Battlefield/Sims/whatever, and is greeted with the price of 70 Euro for the game.

Here in Denmark our game prices would be equivalent to $100 if a similar rise in price should happen.

Danish? I knew there was something I liked about you.

I'm half Rasmussen. :D

sunnz

Wait, with all this no second hand games you would think the prices will go down.

I assume it means the Nextbox will allow used games and if next gen does allow this and we see game prices increase like this, I got a feeling MANY will decide to buy second hand more often ( plus, the gaikai demo streaming for every game will be very useful as well)

Video games are my favorite hobby, so this higher price point in disconcerting. It kind of kills the run of the mill game with the 70% to 80% review score and only leaving room for the big blockbusters with good review scores or the $15 to $20 downloadable titles.

Top Bottom