• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

We’re heading toward a crash. I guess I’m in the minority now where I will never buy a loot box

Whether or not the industry will crash, I find myself increasingly disinterested in the hobby outside of Nintendo’s stuff. I have no idea what angle Sony and Microsoft are going to take with their next consoles, but the Pro and X don’t leave me optimistic. Games are moving in a worse and worse direction by the year, it seems. If I don’t care for the best graphics, shooters or sports games, loot boxes, or multiplayer in general, what is there for me? Increasingly less and less.

Gator86

T24dDE1.gif

EA really deserves its reputation.

paying to

(1) have your character progression proceed at a reasonable rate after the initial "hook"
(2) actually get the complete story
(3) straight up be more powerful than other human players

feels universally objectionable in a way that paying for

(1) weapons/equipment/playable characters that are 'different and interesting' but not objectively 'better'
(2) story content that is clearly a side story
(3) extra bosses/enemies in an arena mode etc.
(4) costumes and other cosmetic stuff

is not, most notably because the former set of things tends to mean that what you get for $60 out of the box is fundamentally incomplete/broken/imbalanced.

Dabanton

Personally I think a space single player focus should move to is digital only smaller priced experiences ala Hellblade.

I think there's a lot of market share you could potentially tap into going that route

I'd be very interested in that. Short more satisfying games with a reasonable pricepoint.

7-8 hours good production values.

monome

At this point it looks like SP game devs are guilty.

They know the financial stakes and when the chance comes, they agree to big budgets well knowing the returns are diminishing but thinking they will béat the odds.

From just this year, Resident Evil 7 is the first that comes to my mind. The latest South Park game, and I'm about to start Persona 5 but have no idea whether it's open or not. Nioh was published by Sony but is now coming to PC that does will in both areas, similar to Bloodborne/Souls. The Crash 1 - 3 Remake sold like crazy and is as "traditional" as it gets to quote the other poster. Are we excluding platformers from single-player experiences? We probably shouldn't.

Resident Evil 7 has failed to hit it's internal sales goals. It's not seen as a success

South Park sales numbers aren't in yet (should do ok though)

Persona 5 doesn't have a AAA budget

Ni-Oh doesn't have a AAA budget

Crash doesn't have a AAA budget.

So again, single player non open world can still exist sure. If you keep the budget small and don't have a large expansive scope with cutting edge graphics.

Again AAA single player driven games are DOA unless they go open world. 2k, Ubisoft, EA, WB, Activision, and Square Enix all abandoned that model over the last 2-3 years

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yep. I'll be 38. It's just sad for me. This is something (the death of traditional singleplayer games) that has been talked about for a LONG time already, but this is actually the first time that it actually looks to be that way for real and not some distant horror scenario. I'm not adapting well to this new GAAS landscape. Some of my friends are and admit that they like more endless multiplayer games than story focused linear games. Those guys will have nothing to fear. But to be a bit dramatic, it seems like the end is near for me. Gaming isn't my only hobby so even if the industry alienates me I have other passions but still :(

Mhm, yep. Same. I've got other passions too but this still bites. Hard. Maybe after several days have passed we'll feel less... raw about this and at least manage to convince ourselves in the short-term that this is still a ways away from happening, you know? Right now I'm just... seething. I don't seethe easily and I'm sure many people would (and maybe should) laugh that I'd seethe over something like this. But I've been very connected to single-player games since a very young age. I don't dig the GAAS thing and I'm... egh. Whatevs, I'm going in circles.

I feel ya.

This is so fucking depressing. Never seen a publisher straight up publicly say "fuck single player linear games, you don't want it, we won't make them then"

This is my worst nightmare.

Wulfram

Because transforming the game into open world = easier to implement loot boxes, MTs and space currency.

Can you imagine The Last Guardian with loot boxes and microtransactions? Linear games tend to be all about the story, not about trying to get people to pay for F2P shit.

Transforming game into open world = more sales. Its not like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim have microtransactions.

The decline of the linear game is sad, but its not down to the gaas bogeyman.

emperor_ing

Neo Member
Such a shame as this was the Star Wars game that actually interested me. Cancelling the game is one thing but shutting the studio too is a knockout blow. Guess EA's reputation sells itself. Hope any effected by relocations & redundancies can pull through this.

Mechazawa

This feels so fucking raw after EA's corporate meddling lead to Visceral being saddled with a microtransaction-laden Dead Space and being forced the duty of having to transition Battlefield into an annualized series(which they've promptly dropped)

This company is a virus.

Audioboxer

I3VN1mP.png

I guess this might need to be updated for EA soon enough?

Your move EA.

Is Fuck Bioware coming soon?

Transforming game into open world = more sales. Its not like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim have microtransactions.

The decline of the linear game is sad, but its not down to the gaas bogeyman.

We're talking about Star Wars. A Star Wars game at the level of quality of something like Uncharted with 8~10/10s would knock sales out of the park.

Henning knows how to make a SP story driven game.

Resident Evil 7 has failed to hit it's internal sales goals. It's not seen as a success

South Park sales numbers aren't in yet (should do ok though)

Persona 5 doesn't have a AAA budget

Ni-Oh doesn't have a AAA budget

Crash doesn't have a AAA budget.

So again, single player non open world can still exist sure. If you keep the budget small and don't have a large expansive scope with cutting edge graphics.

Again AAA single player driven games are DOA unless they go open world. 2k, Ubisoft, EA, Activision, and Square Enix all abandoned that model over the last 2-3 years

You really ought to read the rest of the post.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, how does anyone know the budgets for all of these games? I'm not sure most games' budgets are public knowledge, but if they are, I'd love to see the web site for my own curiosity.

We’re heading toward a crash. I guess I’m in the minority now where I will never buy a loot box

Wasn't there an article not too long ago about how loot boxes are increasing revenue across the board? If anything stuff like this is developers adapting to the market. Perhaps overcorrecting to some extent, but lets not act like the vast majority of the most popular/profitable games don't fall under this umbrella. They are following the money.

Whether or not the industry will crash, I find myself increasingly disinterested in the hobby outside of Nintendo's stuff. I have no idea what angle Sony and Microsoft are going to take with their next consoles, but the Pro and X don't leave me optimistic. Games are moving in a worse and worse direction by the year, it seems. If I don't care for the best graphics, shooters or sports games, loot boxes, or multiplayer in general, what is there for me? Increasingly less and less.

Independent/smaller developers exist and have created some of my favorite games this generation.

And they wonder why year after year after year they are voted worst company in America.

Yep! They definitely deserve it more than banks that nearly caused a full-blown depression. If this is really your opinion you're either quite a bit too young or in dire need of expanding your worldview. Fuck.

Lmo911

GET HENNIG ON A NEW LEGACY OF KAIN NOW!!

We can mourn the loss of Star Wars Uncharted and Dead Space later... we need to strike while the iron is hot!

After just about every notable studio has moved fully onto riding the GAAS train, I wonder how long it will take for that scene to be overcrowded as fuck. If the idea is to have fewer titles that players hold onto longer, how will it look like when each and every game is like that? Gamers won't dedicate themselves to 10 GAAS games simultaneously. My bold prediction is that we'll start to see more "retro" singleplayer games once again after the customer base has been burnt out on all the GAAS games. Maybe in 12 years or so.

I definitely can see something like this happening.

As more games move to GaaS timesinks (like Destiny, Overwatch, or League) people will only stick to 1-2 of those games at a time. So yeah, they'll probably be bigger winners, but there will also be bigger losers. And what will those who end up with the losing games do in response?

And even before that happens, I have no doubt that people will start to feel burned out by the endless gameplay loop nature of a lot a GaaS games, and will start to look for alternative experiences. This is probably where AA and indies will shine. You can already start to see this happen.

Fuck me. This one hurts the most. EA can fuck right off. Destroying a perfectly fine singleplayer game to make room for loot boxes and microtransactions. Fuck you EA.

God fucking damn it.

This was the only Star Wars game (and EA game for that matter) I was looking forward to and of course fucking EA killed it and the studio behind it.

For fucks sake. I can't believe this shit.

Fuck EA.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
We will always have Paris Dead Space 1 & 2 ;_;

Rosstimus

Banned
Obviously this sucks a lot, especially considering this studio put out some great games last gen. But to play devil's advocate--This is a game we know nothing about, and it was in development for years (3 or 4?). It feels possible, if not probable that it was a shitshow behind the scenes and was bleeding money without an end in sight, putting EA between a rock and a hard place.

Whether or not the industry will crash, I find myself increasingly disinterested in the hobby outside of Nintendo’s stuff. I have no idea what angle Sony and Microsoft are going to take with their next consoles, but the Pro and X don’t leave me optimistic. Games are moving in a worse and worse direction by the year, it seems. If I don’t care for the best graphics, shooters or sports games, loot boxes, or multiplayer in general, what is there for me? Increasingly less and less.

Indies? Tons of great SP games in that space.

Top Bottom