• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA talks about why they greenlit Mirror's Edge 2, sequel chances

It sounds like they're approaching it in a healthy manner. They understand their risks and know they'll learn from it either way because of that. They don't have unrealistic expectations about sales, and they're not going to kill or greenlight more games without understanding the size of their audience.

I like this philosophy.
Same here. I gotta give it to devs when they push themselves to see f they can even make the vision they have come to life.

Please, please, please be successful! It's been my most anticipated game of the year and it looks so good. Really hope it does well.

Definitely reading the article later.

Gecoma

Still can't believe we're getting another Mirror's Edge & another Gravity Rush. God how I love the first ones but I can't shake the feeling that both sequels are gonna bomb hard.

A-V-B

Sadly, I don't think it's gonna hit 2mil. There's been almost no big marketing for this game. I think mostly fans are gonna jump for it. Some non-hardcores will be interested because it looks cool, but...

Well, thanks for ME2, guys. Never thought it'd happen. After this, you can put this series to rest and I won't be too hard done about it.

Schryver

I hope it does well because it's Mirror's Edge, but if that convinces them to focus even more on open-world games then idk

A-V-B

tumblr_inline_o1ti1oOpiA1sqw2t1_500.gif

patapuf

I hope it does well because it's Mirror's Edge, but if that convinces them to focus even more on open-world games then idk

EA going open world is a done deal, regardless of how Mirrors edge does.

Open world is the way many SP games are going and EA doesn't have a big open world franchise.

Reads like they just did this as proof of concept for more profitable things to come, a test/learning project they might be able to get some money out of as a side effect. Doesn't really inspire much confidence in the quality of the game.

I've avoided any and all videos of this game. I loved the first one so much that I preordered this game's collector's edition two months ago. Im excited to get that figure.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the beta but haven't got time to play anything these days.

EA had previously noted they were moving $100 million in revenue out of Q4 when they delayed the game, which would be about 2 million copies for the upfront shipment.
If only they had the same expectations when handling Dead Space.

On the other hand, I don't think 2millions is that far fetched, though not in the first 3 months for sure, and it will depends on how the game reviews. The game got no competition so there is a chance.

Brofield

I'm not a fan of buying EA games at launch, but Mirror's Edge I feel it's my moral obligation to see this series go somewhere.

I just wish I had the extra scratch to justify that CE statue they had, but oh well. Already have too many amiibos on my shelf as is.

Kind of a shame it won't be on Steam. The first one racked up 2.6 mil owners according to Steamspy. I realize that's after a gigantic number of dirt cheap sales, but still. Even though Origin seems to be pretty well accepted nowadays, can't help but think about the potential Steam numbers.

I was worried about this game, especially with it being open-world. The Beta assuaged a lot of my fears though, it seems to be going in a good direction.

Navid

The beta played really well though! I was worried too until I actually played it.
Funny enough I'm on the complete opposite boat, I really enjoyed the original Mirrors Edge and was very optimistic about the new game until I played the beta...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just had a terrifying vision of a live-action Faith doing Arrow like useless flips. In slow-mo.

Wearing Vibram Five Fingers.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
More recently, DICE and EA held a public beta for Catalyst — something that seems strange for a single-player focused game but was useful because of social elements like user-made challenges that the sequel will feature. Emgard notes his happiness with the reaction to this beta, saying there’s been "very little vitriol."

I remember people saying that the beta wasn't well received. Apparently, that wasn't the case here.

Very nice article. Soderlund and the rest of the team really seem like very good and passionate people.

Jawmuncher

I do like how they mention having a portfolio. Too many publishers seem to think go big or go home and nothing else. Which kills the diversity they could have.

Oneself

I commend EA for taking a risk on this one, and I adore the original even with its issues. I was so beyond hyped when they announced this.

But I have a strong feeling this game is going to ultra bomb which is a real shame. Its something different on the market and I just get the vibe there is little to no support coming for it. But boy do I hope I'm wrong on this.

But still, props and respect to EA for doing this.
This, really.
I hope it will surprise us with sales à la Dying Light.

A-V-B

This, really.
I hope it will surprise us with sales à la Dying Light.

I've seen enough people complaining it's not enough like Dying Light to be fun, and the parkour's too hard. If it sells, it won't sell in the way Dying Light sold.

Top Bottom