• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Too!™: Be extra nice and EA will pay you (participants may not disclose details)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thanks, not sure where the M comes from.

I'm not sure about Giant Bomb, but as I say, now that we know this stuff exists, it should be pretty easy to spot if it really bothers you (by looking at the existance of links or hashtags).
M = Roman numeral for 1000.

Orayn

I'm not sure about Giant Bomb, but as I say, now that we know this stuff exists, it should be pretty easy to spot if it really bothers you (by looking at the existance of links or hashtags).

The EA campaign doesn't have any sort of distinguishing tags, though. It only requires name of the game and a game mode with proper spelling and capitalization, which plenty of people would do anyway.

gogosox8

So can you disclose that this is a promotion or not? If you can, then I don't really have an issue with this. Yeah, its sleazy but their just marketing their product.

Edit: Damn EA pays out a lot more than MS. Maybe MS should be getting shit for being cheap skates as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Mille is Latin for 1000.

PBY

Banned
So can you disclose that this is a promotion or not? If you can, then I don't really have an issue with this. Yeah, its sleazy but their just marketing their product.
Apparently it's the same language as MS. Which makes me think that we may be missing something/misinterpreting something.

This is probably in preparation for Titanfall. MS and EA are banking on this ;)

So this is going to become the new Titanfall line for any positive opinions or reviews for the game in the run up to launch.

It shall replace the "manufactured hype" line we've been hearing for months now.

ironcreed

Banned
kid-dancing-money-note-rips-1306789515c.gif

Whoops.

JABEE

People aren't realizing that EA and Microsoft have the power to CRUSH those that don't sign these NDAs.

This isn't a question of disclosure at this point. This is the death of independent opinions and Let's Plays on YouTube.

You either conform and sign on with our Marketing Partners or we shut your shit down.

"Well the contract doesn't say such and such." This appears to be the strategy to handle and "control" content on YouTube. Continue to allow a controlled network of streamers, and wipe out others that try to do things the right way.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This is probably in preparation for Titanfall. MS and EA are banking on this ;)

This sort of marketing strategy has been going on for years and years, at EA, MS, Sony, Activision.. etc.

If anything it's good that the "average joe" might start to take notice but this isn't anything new by any means.

Ronku specifically has been around for 5 years or so.

Mondy

Banned
This has the potential to be pretty huge. Youtube was considered by many to be the last bastion of objective criticism and analysis in the industry and now it seems even it has been corrupted.

prwxv3

So this is going to become the new Titanfall line for any positive opinions or reviews for the game in the run up to launch.

It shall replace the "manufactured hype" line we've been hearing for months now.

They game looks amazing but If that does happen EA and MS only have themselves to blame.

It's just CoD with mechs. Yawn...

Can't fucking wait for it!!!

inky

Roman numerals.

"This just in, publishers use marketing money to market to people"

I don't get why there is so much upset about this. This is a common thing in the YouTube world. People who have a large subscriber base get offers like this, even some smaller channels.

I've personally been approached by a production company for Sony just in the past month.

Also, no one is going to pay for negative marketing. As a publisher you can't say "Don't say bad things, we are paying you" but you can say "we won't pay you if you say bad things." So that is up to the YouTuber to decide, and *gasp* some of them may actually like and believe what they are talking about / showing.

Do you really think all those unboxing videos and early sneak peak of games from big name YouTubers aren't marketing by the publishers / creators?

As someone with a few friends in the industry, I hear this kind of stuff all the time. And there are plenty of CPM boosting things you can do if you choose to sell your soul / promote to your subscribers for some extra cash.

bryehn

This has the potential to be pretty huge. Youtube was considered by many to be the last bastion of objective criticism and analysis in the industry and now it seems even it has been corrupted.

It was corrupt 5 years ago too, seriously guys these sorts of promotions are nothing new. Including the "NDA" language.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

I don't get why there is so much upset about this. This is a common thing in the YouTube world. People who have a large subscriber base get offers like this, even some smaller channels.

I've personally been approached by a production company for Sony just in the past month.

Also, no one is going to pay for negative marketing. As a publisher you can't say "Don't say bad things, we are paying you" but you can say "we won't pay you if you say bad things." So that is up to the YouTuber to decide, and *gasp* some of them may actually like and believe what they are talking about / showing.

Do you really think all those unboxing videos and early sneak peak of games from big name YouTubers aren't marketing by the publishers / creators?

As someone with a few friends in the industry, I hear this kind of stuff all the time. And there are plenty of CPM boosting things you can do if you choose to sell your soul / promote to your subscribers for some extra cash.

Why don't you just say "I've completely missed the point".

Less words and we can get on with the discussion.

rrs

Between the purge of videos due to being 'unlicensed' and the emergence that some of the people immune to those purges may be paid shills, it's looking less and less like the oasis of easy, independent opinion making.

Yeah, it's shaping up to being EA/insert big publisher takes your ad lunch money, and to get something you have to sell your soul and get loads of grey money with it. It's the 90's all over again.

Branduil

Apparently it's the same language as MS. Which makes me think that we may be missing something/misinterpreting something.

Yeah because a big corporation would definitely never do anything illegal. Especially fine and upstanding ones such as EA or Microsoft.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So that (OPs picture) is something from EAs website, it did look similar.

So why does it have the same Legal Agreement, word for word, as the MS Machinima one with the exception of the word "EA" added to it?

Pretty bog standard legalese for NDA documents. Wouldn't say all but tons of promotional campaigns have clauses prohibiting participants from describing the details of the promotional campaign.

MormaPope

Banned

image.php

Also people have said why they're upset over this many times in the 3,000 post thread, it isn't a mystery.

JABEE

Is this also connected to EA providing advance copies of games to Machinima partners to promote, particularly NFS?

I'm sure it does. They are doing the same thing they did to the Games media to YouTube.

They are integrating them into the PR system. They are making them dependent and controlling specific networks or an example today would be magazines like GameInformer, and shutting everyone else out.

They are smothering the profitability and economic validity of independent channels that do not accept bribes. These schemes should be faced with scorn and derision. It's absolutely ridiculous what has been happening now and what is planned for the future.

This is their ad-buy, except there is no wall between the streamer and the person buying the ad, there isn't even a culture or title with a history of careful consideration of ethics. These are straight-up power plays and bribes.

Chabbles

No wonder i havnt seen one bad word about titanfall. The game looks fun, but the hype is so overblown, and now it makes sense.

meppi

Not in the least surprised there. Shitty companies think and act alike after all.

I wonder if activision would be willing to pay me for the way I have been sharing my honest to God opinion on BF4 in the past couple of month...

Joni

lol probably

Or at least:
"I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Looks the same"
"I can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Looks the same"

The secret sauce means the 720p upscaled looks way better than 1080p.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
id thought they would have this sort of deal for twitch streaming considering thats really gonna explode this gen, youtube will be old time for reviews you can just load up any stream for that game on twitch and get an incline to what the game is and if its good

Revven

Let's all just consume all the YouTube personalities' opinions as per normal as though this didn't happen and go back to happyland -- because it's completely normal for opinions to be bought/influenced by money but not disclosed to the public. Completely normal! Other companies do it, so it's fine! No big deal!

...I just can't believe there are people who actually think that in this thread and the mega-one on MS. I have literally seen everything in the last year, everything, in the form of damage control.

jayu26

I find it fascinating that people keep missing the NDA part in both threads, despite it being in the thread title itself! I blame American education system.

Sendari

Neo Member
20 000 000 views / 1000 = 20 000
20 000 * 10 $ = 200 000 $

Am I calculing this correctly ? or Am I way off base/missing something ?

Recall

id thought they would have this sort of deal for twitch streaming considering thats really gonna explode this gen, youtube will be old time for reviews you can just load up any stream for that game on twitch and get an incline to what the game is and if its good

Twitch is no different to youtube except it makes it even harder to tell if someone is being paid for their opinion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd gladly sell out to companies that made games I actually enjoy playing.

Sorry EA/MS. *shrug*

If you're interested in Warner games, I'm relatively certain PewDiePie didn't play Dying Light for the VGAs for free. :p

They're the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head that have notable streamer videos on somewhat unusual titles, but someone who follows streaming more might be able to think of others.

Top Bottom