• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

Okolonans

Neo Member
I question whether you would be suggesting that the reviews aren't trustworthy, right off the bat, in response to the very first one, if that review had actually aligned with your particular outlook on the series

It's not "in response" to the first one. The reviewers have been terrible for as long as I remember. I think the critical consensus is wrong on most things. This is my default stance toward all reviews.

Man, some of the arguments in here...

Skyward Sword is a fantastic game that, when at its best, it offers some of the best gameplay / level design you see in the medium. I wish other games had sections like the Lanayru Mining Facility or the Sandship.

Having come off a recent 100% replay, I absolutely agree the desert segments are the best part but the forest/volcano feel so ordinary even by themselves. The dense "compact" design just didn't do it for me.

WadeitOut

Man, some of the arguments in here...

Having come off a recent 100% replay, I absolutely agree the desert segments are the best part but the forest/volcano feel so ordinary even by themselves. The dense "compact" design just didn't do it for me.

I actually liked the compact sections of the Volcano area. It made the puzzle backtracking less annoying.

DNAbro

Why would that make you laugh?

Opinions aren't a free pass for living in delusion.

???
An opinion can't be formed on something that can be readily be proven true/false. In regards to this, you can have an opinion on how good BotW is. You can't have an opinion on it's resolution or framerate issues that pop up. Those are undisputed facts, whether it matters to you personally is an opinion.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
At this point, it's indisputable that the GTA series has eclipsed, by quite a margin, the Zelda franchise in terms of sales and popularity, and is now more beloved by a far larger number of gamers across the world.

I myself have never had any interest in the GTA games whatsoever, and would like to see the Zelda series experience a resurgence (and exceed even its all-time high levels of recognition and popularity from years past).
I would love if this Zelda game, without the handholdy shit of past 3D Zeldas would be extremely influential for the future of video games.

It certainly would be better than the influence that Assassin's Creed 2 has exerted over the years onto big budget games.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Previous Edge 10s for comparison:

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2

Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne

Wow! That's a damn solid list. I'd agree with all the bolded. But what's more impressive, I only have maybe 5-10 more games, total, I'd put on that list.

Only big, huge games it's missing, IMO, is Majora's Mask, FFIX, Halo 2, KOTOR, Hotline Miami.

Discomurf

In all fairness though that was a different area entirely. That could just be part of THAT.

Maybe, but I would be surprised that would bother going through the trouble to take it out. It would be nice if the Wii U version had somethibg going for it. Makes the decision of getting that version a little easier. :)

Makai

Also that Zelda is the most influential is certainly debatable. How many Zelda-likes are there in comparison to Mario, DOOM, Rogue, GTA?
Yeah, there's basically none. You can say some of its smaller components are influential, though.

Game saving - ubiquitous. no more continue codes
Z-targeting - was very popular for about 10 years but is gone now
Qualitative level-up instead of traditional RPG quantiative leveling - sort of popular with games like Metroid and Metal Gear. quantitative leveling is more popular now

Very few games use auto-jump (Harry Potter 2 is the only one I can think of, and even this Zelda is ditching it).
Very few game series have the same kind of quasi continuity - either no continuity (Mario) or only continuity (Metal Gear)

Okolonans

Neo Member
What has this thread turned into though🙅

Evidently people don't like it when you upset their hype party or try to inject healthy skepticism. It seems the acceptable opinion is to be totally positive at all times and to accept every game we haven't played yet as an indisputable masterpiece.

I would love if this Zelda game, without the handholdy shit of past 3D Zeldas would be extremely influential for the future of video games.

It certainly would be better than the influence that Assassin's Creed 2 has exerted over the years onto big budget games.

Yes indeed. Hopefully Ubisoft'll head back to the drawing board (a drawing board marked with a waypoint on their office maps...) in terms of open world design. They certainly do a lot of other things right.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, there's basically none. You can say some of its smaller components are influential, though.

Game saving - ubiquitous. no more continue codes
Z-targeting - was very popular for about 10 years but is gone now
Qualitative level-up instead of traditional RPG quantiative leveling - sort of popular with games like Metroid and Metal Gear. quantitative leveling is more popular now

Very few games use auto-jump (Harry Potter 2 is the only one I can think of, and even this Zelda is ditching it).
Very few game series have the same kind of quasi continuity - either no continuity (Mario) or only continuity (Metal Gear)

Binary level up benefits are why I hate the Metroid-vanias. Such a cop-out and waters down the entire thing.

okita

Why would that make you laugh?

Opinions aren't a free pass for living in delusion.

I'm not a native speaker , but from what I understand an opinion (a thought or belief about something or someone) is subjective and accurate point towards something objective that can clearly be proved / measured , so how something can be subjective and objective at same time ? It breaks logic itself

Okolonans

Neo Member
I'm not a native speaker , but from what I understand an opinion (a thought or belief about something or someone) is subjective and accurate point towards something objective that can clearly be proved / measured , so how something can be subjective and objective at same time ? It breaks logic itself

This is a live question in the philosophy of art and beauty.

For further reading, see: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/beauty/#ObjSub

Just to be clear I'm talking about stuff like getting the Screw Attack, not Heart Containers.

For some games, I like what I call "fuzzy progression," but for others, I prefer numbers-based leveling.

With that said though, I'd love to experience a 2D Metroid with the gear variety and numerical level/stat progression of SotN. Imagine the armor aesthetics possibilities / weapon combination possibilities!

sanstesy

Evidently people don't like it when you upset their hype party or try to inject healthy skepticism. It seems the acceptable opinion is to be totally positive at all times and to accept every game we haven't played yet as an indisputable masterpiece.

Why do you think I was talking about your posts?🤔

5d04IRp.jpg

Zelda is the most overrated series of all-time. That it's inspired such a huge and enthusiastic fandom is a testament to the fact that the public at large has terrible taste. It has cool music and Zelda 1 had decent depth, but aside from that it's a shallow game series without much to offer.

benny_a

This going through other people's post history from other threads, which I'm sure people have done to me in this thread as well, is just pathetic.

Servbot24

Banned
???
An opinion can't be formed on something that can be readily be proven true/false. In regards to this, you can have an opinion on how good BotW is. You can't have an opinion on it's resolution or framerate issues that pop up. Those are undisputed facts, whether it matters to you personally is an opinion.

Opinions are formed on things that have been proven false all the time. Take flat earth theory or creationism as examples.

Not trying to pick on you since in the context where you used it (SS is a great game in your opinion) it's completely valid as a subjective opinion.

Okolonans

Neo Member

Do you have an argument? Yes, I mostly dislike the Zelda series and also think all reviews should be taken with skepticism.

Obviously some people in this thread are trying to read my mind and discredit me just because I also mostly dislike this series. But do my posts look like someone who is just trying to shit on Zelda? I never said it will certainly be bad or anything like that. To me it sounds like it will be good since it seems influenced by the first game. However I just think it's bad for the industry for people to get this hyped about a game that is not out yet, especially based on reviews from the mainstream press which has historically failed to accurate assess games.

Mik317

I will never understand why people try to rain on other's parades....

let them set themselves up for dissapointment if thats what they want to do, constantly going " DON'T TRUST DEM DAMN DURTY REVIEWERSSSSSS" only serves to make you look like a crazy person.

Honestly, most of us should be able to tell if a game is for them or not by just looking at it and reviews and previews only serve to validate those initial feelings while learning of any potential downsides we haven't heard of.

But this need to run up in a thread of people being excited for a game they are obviously interested in and going "stop being excited" only makes you look like a tool...even if you intention may be to prevent them from being let down. Let them cook, man.

DNAbro

Opinions are formed on things that have been proven false all the time. Take flat earth theory or creationism as examples.

Not trying to pick on you since in the context where you used it (SS is a great game in your opinion) it's completely valid as a subjective opinion.

Well that's heavy denial of reality lol

We can drop this now.

sanstesy

I didn't think you had my posts in mind specifically, I just used your post as a springboard to complain about what I saw as the unacceptable state of the thread.

What you said is not unacceptable in any way but it looks like your annoying passive aggressiveness certainly is😅

Whatever tho😉

LordKano

What the hell are you talking about

What the hell is this thread

benny_a

However I just think it's bad for the industry for people to get this hyped about a game that is not out yet, especially based on reviews from the mainstream press which has historically failed to accurate assess games.
What if people think EDGE has historically been a good barometer? Then being excited for this high score is promising.

This isn't Biogamergirl.

Audioboxer

What has this thread turned into though🙅

Confuses me. I thought just about everyone loves a good Zelda game? Like Pokemon I always seen it as one of those franchises everyone roots for, and everyone gets excited when it reviews well.

Maybe I'm just out of touch with Zelda fandom lol.

LotusHD

Banned
As someone who hasn't been following Horizon closely, what about it makes it similar to Zelda? Are there puzzle-based dungeons?

Protagonists both use bows. Both have a post-apocalyptic setting with machines roaming around. Both seem to feature plots that revolve around finding out what happened in the past. Both are open world games. That's... about it, just gets amplified due to their close proximity to one another.

MoonFrog

I do expect that if there's a 'cycle' backlash against BotW that suddenly draws attention to what people remember fondly about SS, it's probably going to be the puzzle/gadget dungeon design, far more so than other distinguishing features of SS like the divisive motion controls or the puzzle-solving traversal of the overworld, especially as the latter is making a comeback of sorts on a larger and more connected scale. When SS came out, I remember thinking that its layout was the first in the 3D series to be reminiscent of the post-LttP 2D line, where just roaming around the map felt as much like "playing Zelda" as the dungeon crawling, and I get the impression BotW will scratch that itch.

This has been a concern that has been in play ever since ALBW came out: whether the skin of non-linearity really does anything to make the logic-puzzle rooms more interesting, or if they are still compartmentalized by item the way they always were. I've been dreaming of a dungeons-in-any-order Zelda for as long as I've played the 3D series, but obtaining key items in any order doesn't make a lot of difference if the puzzle rooms and dungeons are all developed in parallel in isolation from each other (like a good chunk of ALBW and indeed the back half of Phantom Hourglass, which you could in fact do in any order). Ideally, non-linearity would give us challenges that still feel designed, but which are responsive to the player's chosen path and what has been accomplished thus far in the game. (The model for this I've always had in mind is the original KOTOR, where you have multiple well-defined scenarios and solution spaces that change depending on whether you encounter them early or late.)

Creating your own blocks with the Cane of Somaria didn't make LttP feel "less designed", so to speak, and BotW comes off to me as a 3D game practically built around the Cane of Somaria. But I hope that isn't wishful thinking. Even with the mastery of puzzle/gadget design on display in TP/SS, I always felt that most of the key items were too quickly discarded after their assigned dungeon, and I think when people ask for non-linearity what they really crave is a sense that their whole arsenal of tools still matters, and that asking themselves, "What should I use here?" is still an interesting question. In TP especially, often the question was not "What should I use here?" but "How should I use this dungeon's item here?", and that's the target when people describe the LttP/OoT format as predictable. (TWW broke out of this better than most, I thought, by making all of its items relevant in combat, if not in the puzzles.)

I get what you are saying, anyhow. It's easy to understate how TP/SS retained a capacity for surprise because they followed a formula, and were therefore in a place to subvert it. I don't think BotW's design lends itself at all to moments like the misdirection in Snowpeak, where you see ice blocks everywhere and, following the formula, you're thinking the whole time you'll get Fire Arrows or a Fire Rod. And it's glorious when the LttP-throwback mini-boss drops the Ball & Chain, and you take a second to realize, "I get to use that?"

Hmmm wasn't the director on the 2D games? Okay, looked it up and it seems he came in with the Capcom guys and was on the 2D-line post Link's Awakening up until Skyward Sword, which he took on instead of Spirit Tracks. You definitely get the feeling that Skyward Sword was developed in conversation with the handheld games, as evidenced in, say, the way they handed out map charts. (Which is also why I really hope Switch gets 2D Zeldas too. Nintendo could really use them, as it has, as a laboratory of sorts with quicker development time and cheaper budget compared to the labors of making a 3D Zelda).

As to the bolded, two points:

1) This is probably why Metroid is better suited to the puzzle and gadget gameplay than Zelda. In its best entries, unpredictability is brought into play by the fact that it doesn't have the overworld-dungeon paradigm. You get new powers, you use them in various places. The focus on traversal powers and platforming also pushes the powers to be relevant more often. The more Zelda-like entries, Prime 2 & 3 and Fusion are an interesting case to think about in much the same way SS is interesting to think about as the more Metroid-like Zelda.

An interesting thing to figure out will be if BotW pushes heavy and varied use of, say, the Sheikah slate powers through heavy overworld design. I think, from what we've seen, we're going to get mostly a lot of uses for the standard loot, but I'm hoping you do get special powers that change what you can do in the world, rather than just changing how you can do it.

2) Smaller point, but this is also hitting on one of the reasons the double claw shot was cool. Suddenly an old item had new life.

I guess the thing with me and Zelda is I don't really begrudge it so much its predictability. I really like the gameflow and going along with it.

What's up with folks dismissing critical analysis of a medium? Reviews matter. They always have.

Like, Roger Ebert wasn't just some schmo who started writing about movies for the heck of it. He had years of experience and a keen eye for art. His analysis was to be taken seriously because he just downright knew more about film than the average movie-goer. Same thing with reputable video game reviewers.

When every single preview has been positive and a review from probably the most respected print magazine dedicated to gaming gives it their highest accolade, what else are people supposed to think. Add to that the fact that you've already stated that you think Zelda is the most overrated of series and you've got someone who is swimming against the tide of popular opinion. A lot of people love Zelda and it's dear to their hearts. A game in the Zelda series (mainline 3d) generally only releases once every 5 years or so. A Zelda game being released is an event to a lot of people, like 3D Mario or GTA is an event. People get hyped because they love the series. What's healthy about your scepticism other than you going "me, me, I don't like Zelda so you should all be sceptical about this game that every outlet, hands on impression, preview, review, passing glance, quick look etc has been positive about". It just smacks of being obtuse for the sake of it.

Top Bottom