• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge cover revealed: Bloodborne, the verdict (review available tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

I think Edge and a few people in this thread are jumping the gun a bit in regards to the less replay value.

I mean Edge didn't even finish the game how will they now what is to come? They just think about New Game+ like it was in the Souls games, but until we really know how it is this is a bit premature to say.

Who knows, maybe that one Merchant will stay with his stock from the beginning of New Game+ and will receive further new Items and Armor only available in further playthroughs.

Maybe we have bigger changes with enemies and Bosses in New Game+ than we did in the Souls games.

Who knows, maybe they are right, but until we know for sure it is stupid to state that.

By all footage we have we can tell it's a simpler game than Souls games. Thus it's easy to believe it will have less replay value and less content.

Afrodium

Banned
Owen they say they only found 6 weapons, that means picked up from the ground, right? So that just means that there's less base weapons. Any word on customizations? As long as there's branching upgrade paths then there's not much to worry about. The Souls games may have had more drops but most of the same weapon type had similar upgrade paths so the initial weapon soon became irrelevant.

Shengar

Owen they say they only found 6 weapons, that means picked up from the ground, right? So that just means that there's less base weapons. Any word on customizations? As long as there's branching upgrade paths then there's not much to worry about. The Souls games may have had more drops but most of the same weapon type had similar upgrade paths so the initial weapon soon became irrelevant.
You can give them properties like poison. If the customization really is that extsnsive, it could match well with the game's transformimg weapon.

Gbraga

Less variety in what sense? Looks for fashionborne or actual usability? Because in terms of usability the trick weapons and customizations provide way more variety.

Think of it this way. In your first hand slot you have a straight sword and a hammer type.

Iyour second hand you have a halberd and a Axe. Or a rapier and gun. Or a straight sword and greatsword. Or a curved sword and a Scythe. Much more variety.

Weapon variety, Fashionborne will be fine.

By all footage we have we can tell it's a simpler game than Souls games. Thus it's easy to believe it will have less replay value and less content.

What do you mean by simpler?

You can give them properties like poison. If the customization really is that extsnsive, it could match well with the game's transformimg weapon.

You can give them properties in any game, Dark Souls II has poison as an upgrade path too, and it has tons of weapons.

Maybe even too many weapons.

Dinda

I'm sorry what? How did any the footage proof that? You are doing exactly what i just said, you are basing everything on the existing Souls games. Even though the preview made it very clear that a lot has changed.

Afrodium

Banned
When they talk about no classes it seems they may be referring to differentiation of builds. If your play style choices boil down to fast guy with a low damage trick weapon and gun or slow guy with a high damage trick weapon and gun then I can see it being an issue. This would tie into their low replay value comments.

Fuck I can't imagine the impact it will have on GAF if this game got average reviews.

All the Souls games got rated well above average and received lots of praise from both sides.

Anyone who seriously believes that this game is going to bomb is a stupid troll or has no idea.

So hyped, I was motivated to customize my avatar. :D

image.php
Would u do me the honor of customizing my avi?

Mutombo

at first the lesser weapons were a bit of a disappointment. BUT. Instead of 4 different katanas and 4 different ultra great swords, we might get more unique weapons and move sets. Ergo, more variety.

Even though it was quite fun grinding for that dark katana in dark souls 2. Or that Balders Sword in DS1.

Kyoufu

Who is "we" ?

Chalice Dungeon alone will add a ton of replay value to the game. The ENTIRE point of that mode is replay value.

Gbraga

at first the lesser weapons were a bit of a disappointment. BUT. Instead of 4 different katanas and 4 different ultra great swords, we might get more unique weapons and move sets. Ergo, more variety.

Even though it was quite fun grinding for that dark katana in dark souls 2. Or that Balders Sword in DS1.

You talk as if there wasn't variety even among the same weaopon category. Not every greatsword had the same moveset.

You can throw hadoukens with the Moonlight Greatsword, you can launch people with the BKGS, and Dark Souls II built upon that even more, especially with stuff like power stance.

Let's not retcon history here, Souls games always had great weapon and moveset variety.

Auctopus

Fuck I can't imagine the impact it will have on GAF if this game got average reviews.

Great drive-by post. If you actually read what EDGE wrote, they seem in love with the game and no doubt will give it a solid score.

The intrepidness is coming from GAF's reaction to EDGE's words. The game will receive amazing reviews regardless of quality 'cause it's cool to like Souls games.

You talk as if there wasn't variety even among the same weaopon category. Not every greatsword had the same moveset.

You can throw hadoukens with the Moonlight Greatsword, you can launch people with the BKGS, and Dark Souls II built upon that even more, especially with stuff like power stance.

Let's not retcon history here, Souls games always had great weapon and moveset variety.

Thats like 1 special move.

Look at the move set of the ultra greatsword class in DS2....I remember watching it and seeing everything have the same move set.

Conezays

Great drive-by post. If you actually read what EDGE wrote, they seem in love with the game and no doubt will give it a solid score.

The intrepidness is coming from GAF's reaction to EDGE's words. The game will receive amazing reviews regardless of quality 'cause it's cool to like Souls games.

I loved Dark Souls 2 as well, so if it's on par with that game, I'll be content. Trying to temper my expectations, but really, all 3 Souls games are fantastic in their own way, so I don't think there's much to worry about here. At worst IMO, it will feel like more of the same to Souls veterans.

Rush_Khan

While this is clearly anecdotal, I remember reading an extremely positive "review-in-progress" on GameSpot for a certain game - the writer seemed to be enjoying it - only for the same writer to give the game a mediocre score. This suggests that a positive preview may not correlate to a positive review later on, so I wouldn't say that there is "no doubt", as you put it.

That said, it's very likely that EDGE will give this game a positive score.

What this means is that your starter weapon choice is even more important because it's probably going to stick with you for a VERY long time.

While this is clearly anecdotal, I remember reading an extremely positive "review-in-progress" on GameSpot for a certain game - the writer seemed to be enjoying it - only for the same writer to give the game a mediocre score. This suggests that a positive preview may not correlate to a positive review later on, so I wouldn't say that there is "no doubt", as you put it.

That said, it's very likely that EDGE will give this game a positive score.

ya think?

k42366m.png

WALLPAPER <GET>

I agree, this should be the game cover. So badass.

What this means is that your starter weapon choice is even more important because it's probably going to stick with you for a VERY long time.

Depends on how it gets spaced out. They could give you 2-3 options to play around near the start while slowly doling more things out as the game progresses.

Manu

They say in Souls you are frequently scared of dying, but in Bloodborne you are also scared of what is coming to kill you - "There is a moment in Dark Souls that we will never forget: down in the Depths, picking up an item from a corpse and a slime dropping onto our head. We spent the rest of the level panning the camera endlessly for unseen threats, no longer scared of dying, but of moving. Imagine a whole game of that." - For this reason they think taking the replayability factor to CD makes more sense.

n7Lt3so.jpg

Daante

• Playthrough did not involve Chalice Dungeon or multiplayer.
  • This is not an official review/no score, despite the cover of the game saying "THE VERDICT"
  • "Bloodborne is Hidetaka Miyazaki's brutal riposte to the section of his playerbase that thinks it has seen it all before."
  • Merchant sells a clip-on lantern (hello Demon's Souls augite).
  • "Yharnam spends the game in the grip of a perpetual night...that can only be brought to an end by the player finding and finishing off the source of the scourge of beasts." (this could be referring short term like...defeat a major boss, get some daytime, or overall, I guess)
  • Description on the first shield they found: Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.
  • Some enemies in the game can use spells
  • Confirmed Bloodtinge stat governs bullet damage
  • Transforming strikes and their follow-up attacks give you a way of reaching enemies that in other Souls games might be out of reach because they were pushed back by your earlier attacks - they say stamina management is a more diverse process in Bloodborne than in the earlier games
  • Clothes found in the world or from a merchant whose catalog expands when you defeat bosses
  • Bloodstone shards = titanite, coldblood = portable souls, most common items are blood vials (healing) and quicksilver bullets, but stocks can grow low later in the game
  • Surplus items are automatically sent to a storage box, and if you die your items are replenished from the box automatically
  • They say your starting stats are dictated by the trick weapon you choose, which runs counter to the origins shown in the character creator...
  • Only found 6 or so weapons and 6 or so guns in 40 hours
  • Very few chests, almost all have something good inside
  • Enemies only drop upgrade mats and items
  • Bloodgems are an upgrade item that allows you to change the attributes of a weapon, ex. increasing physical attack power, adding poison damage, or increasing scaling - all the weapons in the game are customizable with bloodgems
  • Did not beat the game but they feel like it is less replayable than its predecessors (this does not count the Chalice Dungeon or multiplayer components)
  • You can keep up to 5 dungeon configurations in your Chalice Dungeon stock
  • Lantern checkpoints are not "overabundant" like the bonfires of Dark Souls II, you open shortcuts rather than getting new bonfires (ala Demon's Souls), interconnectivity approaches Firelink Shrine type numbers of access and departure points in a few places
  • "Discrete areas flow together to create a believable world" - separating the hub from the main gameworld allows the world itself to be more coherent
  • They say in Souls you are frequently scared of dying, but in Bloodborne you are also scared of what is coming to kill you - "There is a moment in Dark Souls that we will never forget: down in the Depths, picking up an item from a corpse and a slime dropping onto our head. We spent the rest of the level panning the camera endlessly for unseen threats, no longer scared of dying, but of moving. Imagine a whole game of that." - For this reason they think taking the replayability factor to CD makes more sense.
  • Torch may be very important for newcomers/first playthroughs
  • There is a new mechanic they are not allowed to discuss
  • "If you thought From Software was going soft, Hidetaka Miyazaki is about to put you brutally back in your place. And if you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by the remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time. As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again."

There's a Q&A about Miyazaki's ideas and philosophy regarding the game at the end.

Ooooooooooh booooooooooooy

Gbraga

Thats like 1 special move.

Look at the move set of the ultra greatsword class in DS2....I remember watching it and seeing everything have the same move set.

Sure, there were like a couple of moves that were different for each weapon that had different moves, but I don't think Bloodborne can compensate the vast amount of weapons we had before.

I don't think we need any more evidence than enemies not dropping weapons anymore. If you have a low amount of weapons, you can't just give them away when the player kills some mobs.

It's not a deal break by any means, I'm still very excited for Bloodborne, but it is disappointing anyway. I was already expecting less weapons because of the L1 stuff, but not as few as 6 weapons in 40 hours.

I'm more bothered by warping, hubs and the overall world/level structure. I don't think we'll ever have a new Dark Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom