• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores | Issue #398

Uj2a1U6.jpeg

Reviews
  • Animal Well - 9
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes - 9
  • Stellar Blade - 6
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - 7
  • Tales of Kenzera: Zau - 7
  • Crow Country - 8
  • Sand Land - 5
  • Endless Ocean Luminance - 6
  • Indika - 7
Source - https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/335220-edge-398/

Last edited:
Sand Land - 5 and Stella Blade - 6?!? Love both of those games personally. I would definitely not describe the former as 'average' or the latter as 'just above average' myself.

Fbh

Never heard about Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. But it seems to have pretty good reviews and Annapurna is usually good with choosing indies. So I might check it out.
I hope it has an actual plot though and it's not indie game #587 that's actually a metaphor about mental health.

From the magazine that refused to review Hogwarts Legacy and whined about the lack of diversity in FFXVI!?!?!.
NO WAY!

Last edited:
I don't have a definitive source yet, but if I remember correctly, Edge has a habit of being harsher on Soulslikes than other genres.

I'll look into it to be sure.

Edit: Just to clarify two things, I mean harsher as in 'less likely to be near 9 or 10' and secondly, I meant soulslikes as in 'games that follow the Fromsoft formula but not made by Fromsoft'. Two Edge score examples I found so far:

Lies of P - 7
Remnant 2 - 6

Also, I am aware that Edge is known for using the full review scale.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Anyone have any insight to what actually constituted to Stellar blades 6?
Some thinly veiled criticism over an obvious allergy to Vaginas?
Or valid, objective points?
I fear it's the latter.
I prefer reading Retrogamer these days.
A welcome throwback to when Games mags actually, you know, talked about the games.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't have a definitive source yet, but if I remember correctly, Edge has a habit of being harsher on Soulslikes than other genres.

Edge's 10/10 ratings are very highly coveted and quite rare - I think they've only given about 25 in decades of publishing the magazine.

Elden Ring is one of them. 🙂

I enjoyed Tales of Kenzaru a little bit, though well aware how deeply unoriginal it was, and how its influences are leagues sbove it in every way. How this scored anything above 5 in a magazine that supposedly uses the whole scale is certainly curious.

Stellar Blade and Sand Land very low scores lmao
And you guys still take any credibility from these clows.
Any publication/site that bothers to score games lower than 7 or 8 these days are the only ones worth paying attention to.
I'd also recommend you read what they said before throwing a tantrum over a number.

Last edited:
Any publication/site that bothers to score games lower than 7 or 8 these days are the only ones worth paying attention to.
I'd also recommend you read what they said before throwing a tantrum over a number.
Sound advice. Based on what I've seen from SB, and what others have told me, the main character has zero personality and the writing, dialog and story are terrible, so even with a good battle system it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that some might think the game is a 6.

tommib

Edit: Just to clarify two things, I mean harsher as in 'less likely to be near 9 or 10' and secondly, I meant soulslikes as in 'games that follow the Fromsoft formula but not made by Fromsoft'. Two Edge score examples I found so far:

Lies of P - 7
Remnant 2 - 6

Also, I am aware that Edge is known for using the full review scale.
Lords of the Fallen - 5

Madflavor

If you guys didn’t expect Edge to give Stellar Blade a 6, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s the most 6/10 Edge game ever made. It could be arguable that Edge didn’t even need to review the game, and just slap a 6 on it, because it is THAT much of a 6/10 Edge game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, it's awful. Calling it trash is an insult to a word "trash". You must be haven't played a single metroidvania in your entire life if you call this thing "a very solid metroidvania".

uh huh.

Is that your actual hands-on with the game talking or just the sweet-baby disdain?

Rocinante618

Neo Member
Animal well is worthy of the 9, fantastic game if you love exploration, experimentation. no hand holding, no talking. Genius game design/levels. I'm amazed how non-linear it plays - you can go anywhere, do anything, the effort put by it's dev, Billy Basso is nothing but spectacular!
Small nitpick, I do feel the backtracking is a bit off-putting, becomes a chore and adds to the length.

Stellar blade was fun and as usual the melodrama doesn't focus what was important - the gameplay. One side is all in for the sensual Eve whereas another spins the opposite as labels it as coomer bait and offensive to the average women.

Personally, I feel it doesn't matter a bit. The combat was satisfying and experimental, enemies, bosses and environments were really cool. Music was fine but got boring as it was very repetitive. The story or world building, philosophy, dialogue and VA were not memorable, very mediocre, cliched and irrelevant but that is fine because this is a popcorn thriller.

A laugh out, fun game - it doesn't matter what the main character model is - you could switch Eve for Abby of TLoU2, Kratos, any token character with a randomized skin color or race, an object - you get it, it doesn't matter because it would play the same.

Gameplay (and to some extent pacing/padding/length/bloat) triumphs everything else - I really enjoyed TLoU2, because the fluid combat at higher difficulties is so damn good. It didn't matter whether I played Abby, Ellie or any character as I don't care as long I enjoy the gameplay.

In contrast I dropped/disliked GoW Ragnorok and Horizon Forbidden West as whatever you do, remove DEI or add more DEI, add more dialogues or remove - the games are very boring.

GoW R is super bloated as the story is very lacklustre, it didn't have any clear goal what it was trying to do - there were so many parallel stories in GOW R that dwarfed the good ones - the side story of the wolf who comes back was exceptionally done whereas the main story was Marvel-like. The long walk with Angroboda (her skin color is irrelevant, make Angroboda white or Eve like, whatever you wish) would always be boring, fetch quest like chore. The repeated skeletons army enemies that took ages to kill destroy the fun, pacing.

HFW should have been similar to Zelda or Elden Ring - drop my made character into that extremely well crafted world and let me explore unrestricted, hunt cool mech-dinos, polish the combat, give me abilities to discover myself. Make it non-linear with little to no dialogue. Make it like you're dropped in Pandora and you explore everything. Such a shame that this game doesn't let me play only makes me listen to the absurdly long bore.

Obviously all of this is a personal opinion, I'm sure a lot of you enjoyed these games, play what you like ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom