• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores | Issue #398

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
spank carls jr GIF
Summer Olympics baby!

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't get it, one day Edge M is respected, but now it's "shit" ? Which is it?
It's about nostalgia and the historical reputation of the magazine as "quality gaming journalism". So, because of this Edge Magazine is often used as a reference for objective truth, especially when their scores align with peoples sentiment. And thus when the opposite happens, the dissonance grows exponentially.

Times have changed, Edge is no longer the same, and in my opinion we're way on overtime to strip Edge from their unique status at gaf as a pinnacle of go-to.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don't get it, one day Edge M is respected, but now it's "shit" ? Which is it?
It depends on how it scores certain games.
If they scored SB a 8, people would be questioning why Pixelly Indie Metroidvania #2379 scored a 9, but that’d be it.
It’s really just the same as people going into flame wars about a 0.1 Metascore difference between Totally GOTY and If This Doesn’t Win GOTY Over Totally GOTY Then Games Journalism Is Dead (references about the Great GOTY War of 2023 are completely intentional here).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's about nostalgia and the historical reputation of the magazine as "quality gaming journalism". So, because of this Edge Magazine is often used as a reference for objective truth, especially when their scores align with peoples sentiment. And thus when the opposite happens, the dissonance grows exponentially.

Times have changed, Edge is no longer the same, and in my opinion we're way on overtime to strip Edge from their unique status at gaf as a pinnacle of go-to.
Edge gave Doom a 7. Yes, id Software’s Doom, for those who may have trouble processing the previous sentence.

Edge has been like this since forever. People going up in arms every other month about its scores have had a lot of time to get used to it, yet here we are still.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Edge gave Doom a 7. Yes, id Software’s Doom, for those who may have trouble processing the previous sentence.

Edge has been like this since forever. People going up in arms every other month about its scores have had a lot of time to get used to it, yet here we are still.
Good point, and more proof it never made sense to point at single entities as reference for objective truth.

tommib

The day Edge ends its publication run can't come soon enough.
It will never happen. Edge is a network hub for devs and a who’s who of people working in games across all disciplines.

It’s the Cahiers of Cinema/Sight and Sound of video games.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Are you seriously comparing the Edge of 1993 to the Edge of 2024 as being the same company?

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
I want scores below 6. Let people burn and make them learn from their mistakes. Lots of trashy games nowadays need some extra treatment.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Are you seriously implying that Stellar Blade’s 6 is more egregious than Doom’s 7?

Context of the time and the writers of said review. Doom as a 7 was dumb, but not ideologically driven like Stellae Blades 6 and titles like Kenzaru/Volcano High’s bloated review scores.

So yes, stellar blades is more egregious.

John Wick

Actual image of the Edge editor's mind as he played Stellar Blade:

M5o9peY.gif

Emotional damage.

Why the fuck would anyone still take these clowns seriously?
They were a great mag for the first 10 years. I subscribed to it for years and had the first issue onwards. But during it's lifetime it started to change for the worst with clown reviews. I haven't taken it seriously for years now. It's just another useless biased review site now.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I'll just pop the post script for your enjoyment...

Post the whole review if its allowed? This is a magazine on sale afterall.

el9tIH2.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

el9tIH2.jpeg
Hope this shuts the defense force up. Edge is a joke and has been for over a decade. Imagine being afraid/offended by sexy women.

SkylineRKR

I was about to say a 6 could be justified if Edge would go about the story, some mediocre to bad platform gameplay and some unbalanced combat designs and some boring levels but there is no word about the gameplay and content in that review. Its basically a huge write up that can be explained in one sentence; they see the game as sexploitation.

yogaflame

This is the only time that I will comment in Neogaf, normally I just read the comments and news in neogaf. But this triggered me after reading that screenshot of the review. . WOW that pretty sums it up, this part of the article is already a red flag that it will not be un unbias review. I don't let journalist reviews influence me that much in choosing the games that I buy, since it is always subjective. But this review is so much bias. For me, this is not a credible review

Last edited:

Fake

el9tIH2.jpeg

Good lord...
They are as clown as people here defending Edge. 'BoTh SiDeS ArE AnNoYiNg'. Yeah, my ass. Folks here should be ashame of even take EDGE Magazine side.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I was about to say a 6 could be justified if Edge would go about the story, some mediocre to bad platform gameplay and some unbalanced combat designs and some boring levels but there is no word about the gameplay and content in that review. Its basically a huge write up that can be explained in one sentence; they see the game as sexploitation.
That's not the review mate - EDGE do a post-script of every review as a side bar.

That's not the review mate - EDGE do a post-script of every review as a side bar.
I'll take a PM if you're willing.

[Edit] nevermind

So it looks like they just talk about combat, level design, story, pacing in the main review. For Edge it's not really that outlandish. It reads like a slightly above average game in the text, and that's the score. I don't have strong feelings about the review either way because I haven't played it yet. Had some issues with the demo, but that's just the very beginning. I'll play it at some point much later. I seriously doubt I'd go as low as a 6, but this isn't too surprising from Edge honestly. Kind of what I expected.

Dr. Suchong

I'll take a PM if you're willing.

[Edit] nevermind

So it looks like they just talk about combat, level design, story, pacing in the main review. For Edge it's not really that outlandish. It reads like a slightly above average game in the text, and that's the score. I don't have strong feelings about the review either way because I haven't played it yet. Had some issues with the demo, but that's just the very beginning. I'll play it at some point much later. I seriously doubt I'd go as low as a 6, but this isn't too surprising from Edge honestly. Kind of what I expected.
Bought the issue today and read the SB review.
I echo your sentiment entirely.
The post script is where things get jarring for me personally though.

Top Bottom