• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EG: Godus development stopped, lead designer out, studio focused on The Trail

We had a thread about this before with a forum poster claiming this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1236380&highlight=godus

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-28-is-godus-dead

Development on the PC version of Godus has ground to a halt, Eurogamer understands.

Peter Molyneux's controversial god simulation has been stuck on Steam as an Early Access title ever since it launched there in September 2013.

And now, sources tell Eurogamer, developer 22cans has moved over almost entirely to the studio's next game, The Trail.

Then, 22cans said 11 people had worked on Godus Wars, including lead designer Konrad Naszynski.

Eurogamer has heard Naszynski was made redundant earlier this year, but speaking to Eurogamer, 22cans CEO Simon Phillips said the developer simply did not renew his contract (Peter Molyneux declined to comment for this story).

"Konrad was actually a contractor and was tasked with building the levels on Godus Wars," Phillips said.

One source told Eurogamer that as of early 2016, 22cans did have a plan to leave Early Access, but the decision to focus 100 per cent on The Trail was made in part to secure the developer's financial future.

Again, Phillips denied the claim that 100 per cent of 22cans is working on The Trail.

"Not quite," he said. "We shift our resources around depending on what we want to achieve, be that design, PC or mobile code, art resources and so on."

Then, The Trail was described as a mobile game based around social media interaction.

22cans is using the Unity game engine to build The Trail, Eurogamer has been told, with a reveal and release expected this year.

Kucan

I'm hope for 22cans sake The Trail is free-to-play, because I'm pretty sure very few people will trust 22cans with their money again.

I haven't played in a while, but have they followed through with their initial promises in the Kickstarter? I've started to get really turned off from Kickstarter lately.

LordRaptor

Eurogamer has heard Naszynski was made redundant earlier this year, but speaking to Eurogamer, 22cans CEO Simon Phillips said the developer simply did not renew his contract

Yeah, that falls under "technically correct", it's pretty clear most people don't make a huge distinction between "We don't need you anymore and are letting you go" and "We don't need you any more and are not renewing your contract"

What a strange and fascinating career Peter Molyneux has had. When 22cans formed, I thought it had some potential to do something unique, but up to this point it's mostly been a disappointment. I'm surprised they're still receiving financing. It was very interesting reading stories about Molyneux from the Kotaku and Eurogamer stories on the closing of Lionhead.

Dvidus

I wonder what happened to the guy who won Curiosity an was promised a big share in Godus.

Seems like winning the lottery didn't even give that guy one cent.

There was a solid idea in Godus, but the problem is with some of these early access games that they just never get anywhere. They have a good tech demo, a nice presentation, and thats it.

I'm following The Universim every day almost. They are making strides but it feels like the game has been on the way forever, and they are still only on the first age. At the current pace the game won't be out for a very long time.

I see Star Citizen have a similar problem. People like what they see but there is still so much left to do, and people are impatient. Will it still be exciting 2 or 3 years from now? Nobody wants a game that cuts corners. So where do you draw the line?

Atomski

I haven't played in a while, but have they followed through with their initial promises in the Kickstarter? I've started to get really turned off from Kickstarter lately.
So much good comes out of kickstarter it's a shame a couple duds brings people's perception of it down. Just like any game in development there are always Gona be risks of failure..

A game by Peter though.. those chances were pretty damn high.

AHA-Lambda

I feel bad for that Konrad guy :/

It's no surprise he got laid off cos he was so outspoken about how everything was going wrong but at least he was doing something

epmode

There was a solid idea in Godus, but the problem is with some of these early access games that they just never get anywhere. They have a good tech demo, a nice presentation, and thats it.

Godus was a mess from day one of the backer alpha. It had lots of awful ideas from mobile games and it just looked like the developer had no idea what kind of game they wanted to make.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Peter M. is over at this point. Not saying some foolish publisher won't give him money to make another game but whatever the man touches usually turns into a big steaming pile of shit.

Beating on Godus now is beating a dead horse. The game is what it is, and won't change unless 22 Cans stumbles upon a giant pile of money, and most likely not even then. There's no money to gain from continuing Godus development, and as such, they can't continue.

I was one of the backers, £30, didn't like what it became. But I let that go a very long time.

Top Bottom