• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes | Review Thread

Gambit2483

I'm getting the Physical

Just pre-ordered it on Best Buy:p

Edit- I just cancelled it

There's no PS4 physical..

So digital it is than..
6idJTYc.jpeg
Welp...

StereoVsn

Oh come on, you can have an old-school battle system while still having fast battles/animations. And I remember Suikoden 1&2 having much faster battles than most of the 32-bit JRPGs in that era. I don’t buy that “the reviewers just expected the wrong thing!!” excuse.
Depends on the reviewer I would say. One I posted Xygor, quite liked it. Others not so much or were in the middle.

Going to wait and see how Steam reviews pan out.

Reactions: Isa

Porcile

Does it run better or worse than say Ni no Kuni on the Switch? Really want this game but the performance issues were always a bit worrisome. Ni no Kuni was rough in parts on the Switch too but perfectly playable.

Pallas

I've also found this tweet comparing loading times between the PS4 with an SSD and the PS5. If you don't have an SSD installed in your PS4, the loading times will probably be 2-3 times longer.

My physical series X version was suppose to arrive yesterday… good ol’ USPS. Should hopefully get it Monday, but enough about that, how are the series X load times? If you heard anything about that version.

StereoVsn

Does it run better or worse than say Ni no Kuni on the Switch? Really want this game but the performance issues were always a bit worrisome. Ni no Kuni was rough in parts on the Switch too but perfectly playable.
Supposedly it’s pretty rough according to couple reviews. Load times were very slow and frame rates tanked.

Last edited:

Labadal

From impressions, PC version serms to be the best version. Both Switch and PS5 are lower quality. I regret my decision to go PS5.

Labadal

Retarded localization, confirmed.

And I already got it

I guess I'm going with Japanese Language with English Subtitles this time

amigastar

I've read that the game has many cutscenes with dialogue. Not a big fan of that. Also the combat system may be a little casual. I don't know if i will try it, honestly. The game is probably nothing for me.

Last edited:
My physical series X version was suppose to arrive yesterday… good ol’ USPS. Should hopefully get it Monday, but enough about that, how are the series X load times? If you heard anything about that version.
The SX version looks to be in good shape, however, Pure Xbox did mention that they've experienced sound issues after using quick resume, and some very mild stuttering on rare ocassions. They didn't touch on loading times so presumably they're just as fast as on the PS5.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The PS4 version installed on an SSD on PS4 hardware vs the PS5 native app. :)
Expected PS5 to do better in this case, they are likely just bruteforcing the same I/O path. SSD on PS4 does not buy 2-3x loading times improvements in average… you are still limited by the SATA interface. Maybe they are making tons of unoptimised random accesses, seek times be damned?

Expected PS5 to do better in this case, they are likely just bruteforcing the same I/O path. SSD on PS4 does not buy 2-3x loading times improvements in average… you are still limited by the SATA interface. Maybe they are making tons of unoptimised random accesses, seek times be damned?
Actually I was wrong lol. In that test it's the PS4 version running through BC on PS5. The native PS5 version should be faster (maybe someone can test it).

graywolf323

David Vinc with a great review IMO, his complaints are mostly about the lacking QOL stuff and how in some ways the game is too retro

overall he loves it and thinks it’s great but describes it as a PS2-era game, I have a feeling that us older gamers are going to love it (like David) but it’s not going to really attract people that weren’t already fans

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

David Vinc with a great review IMO, his complaints are mostly about the lacking QOL stuff and how in some ways the game is too retro

overall he loves it and thinks it’s great but describes it as a PS2-era game, I have a feeling that us older gamers are going to love it (like David) but it’s not going to really attract people that weren’t already fans

Idk how I’ll like it, but it’s wild that the major complaint is the game knows its audience and gave them a game they want.

Not everything needs to be for everyone.

Looks like suikoden fans and nostalgia trippers are in for a treat. Same folks who herald the octopath games will likely love this.

I prefer Erick Landon RPG 😉

Reactions: Isa
PS5 version seems to be in the best shape so glad I picked it up on that system. Figured the Switch version would be busted since the hardware is ancient at this point. Or maybe the devs stretched themselves too thin, like Iga on Bloodstained which had a completely broken version on Switch. Still salty I bought it.

I bought Bloodstained on Switch too and Man that version was bad

Happy I preordered the digital version on PS4.

I think the developer is stretched thin. I've been playing Unicorn Overlord on Switch and it's runs great so far and everything loads fast. I'm around 20 hours into that game. From what I seen of Eiyuden Chronicles, that shouldn't be taxing on Switch

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Regarding reviews I ain't listening to them since I bet a majority of reviewers weren't even born when Suikoden launched. And now they are deducting points and criticizing Eiyuden for being too similar to Suikoden and old school Jrpgs, which is precisely what the devs intended it to be? Get fuck out with that shit.

Last edited:
Regarding reviews I ain't listening to them since I bet a majority of reviewers weren't even born when Suikoden launched. And now they are deducting points and criticizing Eiyuden for being too similar to Suikoden and old school Jrpgs, which is precisely what the devs intended it to be? Get fuck out with that shit.

That's good to know

I grew up with the Suikoden games too

What they are complaining about is what I want from that game

graywolf323

first impressions from Mortismal, he usually focuses more on CRPGs so I’m intrigued what he’ll think of Eiyuden

edit: for those not familiar with his channel, he won’t do a full review of a game until he’s 100%ed it

Last edited:

begotten

I'm 110% sure Eiyuden Chronicles will deliver the goods to us who loved Suikoden and 90s Jrpgs.

Eiyuden is beautiful. There's so many character & plot throwbacks to Suikoden 1 & 2.

This shouldn't be a spoiler but... no joke, I shed a few tears during the first Duel Battle in Eiyuden. Felt like the game put me in a time capsule and sent me back in time with how it recaptured Suikoden 2.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don't listen to reviews

They tend to give As to any Western AAA Games and tend to give lower scores to Japanese made games
You mean the reviewers who gave Unicorn Overlord 88 Open critic, or FF VII Rebirth a 93, Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth 90, Octopath 2 85, Dragon’s Dogma 2 87……

Seems like most recent JRPGs are getting pretty generous reviews.

I kind of knew there was design issues when in the very first forest area I followed a winding trail off the beaten path to find... a dead end. No treasure, no item, not even a random cutscene. Just head back the other way and enjoy the long load times for the extra random battles.

You mean the reviewers who gave Unicorn Overlord 88 Open critic, or FF VII Rebirth a 93, Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth 90, Octopath 2 85, Dragon’s Dogma 2 87……

Seems like most recent JRPGs are getting pretty generous reviews.

True I'm just being hyperbolic again

James Franco Flirt GIF

But than again those games are much more westernized :p

As in much more censored when it comes to Sexy Fanservice of attractive female characters. I shall see how that is handled in Eiyuden Chronicles though

Last edited:
Top Bottom