• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
aeUEsXt.png

🤷‍♀️

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Maybe it's more of a mockery of the social media paradigm and not taking shit so damned seriously like every self important twat on SM platforms do, more often than not.

“Look how much I don’t care about you!!” says local man who keeps driving by his ex’s house waving a flag saying “I don’t care about you!”

Served with a side of “hello fellow kids” energy.

The only way to interpret it as graciously as what you’re saying so to completely remove the context of all his other pathetic attempts at appearing cool.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“Look how much I don’t care about you!!” says local man who keeps driving by his ex’s house waving a flag saying “I don’t care about you!”

Served with a side of “hello fellow kids” energy.

The only way to interpret it as graciously as what you’re saying so to completely remove the context of all his other pathetic attempts at appearing cool.
The dude literally has an on the spectrum social disability.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok, so it’s not really mockery of social media on a level we all don’t get, it’s just dumb nonsense as a result of a disability?

As I said, it makes me sad.
You don't want to be an ableist now, do you friendo?

It could be a combination of things, I don't see anything as so black and white other than what people choose based on battle lines in the sand. And a lot of these personalities have been a litmus for that.

RAÏSanÏa

Ok, so it’s not really mockery of social media on a level we all don’t get, it’s just dumb nonsense as a result of a disability?

As I said, it makes me sad.

Everyone is expected to manage their disabilities with help, and do their best to correct themselves so they are as healthy as possible and not imposing on others. The mocking he is getting seems to be due to him not doing anything to properly manage his disability and hiding behind conceit.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You don't want to be an ableist now, do you friendo?
Not being a purple hair person, and as someone who actually lives in reality, I don’t think someone with a disability when it comes to social interactions is necessarily the best person to have total control of a social media company, just like I don’t think a quadriplegic should be flying a plane full of passengers. It is what it is, and there’s nothing wrong with pointing out that what it is is a shit show.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not being a purple hair person, and as someone who actually lives in reality, I don’t think someone with a disability when it comes to social interactions is necessarily the best person to have total control of a social media company, just like I don’t think a quadriplegic should be flying a plane full of passengers. It is what it is, and there’s nothing wrong with pointing out that what it is is a shit show.
One can argue radical ideologues that are brainwashed into cultist kow tows (the old SM/Twittard guard) is every bit a disability. But I can agree with that thinking.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

This is so disappointing. Elon either lies or is wrong about two of these three things, and the other thing isn't verifiable by anyone outside of twitter, so how am I supposed to trust that to be true? His "substack links were never blocked" statement has the EXACT same energy as the old guard with their "we never shadowbanned people" lie. You know exactly what you did.

Elon even got his ass hit with a community note of his own here: "Substack links have been throttled on Twitter and Substack’s Twitter account itself has been restricted. Matt Taibbi is not a Substack employee, he writes a newsletter there. Substack CEO says Taibbi has never been an employee."

As I was hoping for, I'm glad to see people who have been supporters of Musk are being critical of his actions. Now he needs to apologize to Taibbi, because Elon is 100 percent in the wrong here.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

This is so disappointing. Elon either lies or is wrong about two of these three things, and the other thing isn't verifiable by anyone outside of twitter, so how am I supposed to trust that to be true? His "substack links were never blocked" statement has the EXACT same energy as the old guard with their "we never shadowbanned people" lie. You know exactly what you did.

Elon even got his ass hit with a community note of his own here: "Substack links have been throttled on Twitter and Substack’s Twitter account itself has been restricted. Matt Taibbi is not a Substack employee, he writes a newsletter there. Substack CEO says Taibbi has never been an employee."

As I was hoping for, I'm glad to see people who have been supporters of Musk are being critical of his actions. Now he needs to apologize to Taibbi, because Elon is 100 percent in the wrong here.

Really poor form here on his part. Blatant lies and lack of personal accountability, attempt at character assassination without good reason.

BeardGawd

Banned

Point 1 is a consequence of Point 2. Are we sure they weren't trying to steal data? So Matt is a contractor then? Which could obviously affect his position.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Point 1 is a consequence of Point 2. Are we sure they weren't trying to steal data? So Matt is a contractor then? Which could obviously affect his position.

He's lying on all counts. Substack is a platform for any and all journalists. He's (Taibbi) not EMPLOYED by the company.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

If they were trying to steal data, there needs to be legal action taken. I'm done with accusations that are designed to discredit people without follow-through. I could share some good recent examples, but they're political in nature, so I will not.

If point 1 is a consequence of point 2, then why should Elon deny it? We know it's true, and defending it just gets into lame semantic (well, I wouldn't call that blocking) nonsense, just like "shadowbanned" before him. And point 3 is complete BS. Having an account on a platform does not make you you an employee. Aside from that, Elon's continued hypocrisy on free speech, and how he's handled this entire matter makes Matt much more believable. I was following Matt long before his involvement with twitter. He has integrity, and he criticizes everyone according to his values without resorting to partisan tribalism.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Times Now, Opoyi, and ABP Live are examples of news orgs that take themselves too seriously? Nice flotsam. It doesn't appear that it is the news orgs in this scenario who are desperate to make themselves appear seriously influential.

Journalistic standards should be taken seriously for reasons that can be extrapolated from this.

Last edited:
Times Now, Opoyi, and ABP Live are examples of news orgs that take themselves too seriously? Nice flotsam. It doesn't appear that it is the news orgs in this scenario who are desperate to make themselves appear seriously influential.

Journalistic standards should be taken seriously for reasons that can be extrapolated from this.
I read the words Harry Bolz in a Forbes article today.

He has them just like he has you guys: talking about him.

It seems that Taibbi isn't the only journalist to do an interview lately without properly preparing:

the first part is embarrassing, just bring examples if you're going to say something...completely unprofessional

the covid part is just a bit pathetic on both sides

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

It seems that Taibbi isn't the only journalist to do an interview lately without properly preparing:

Muskva still sinking further into covid conspiracy. He just won't let that go. BBC had articles reporting known vaccination risks from medical science and the effectiveness of various types of masks. Perhaps not the unfounded conspiracy speculation that Musk takes as a certainty to share and support, but that isn't the point of news orgs to confirm that bias, only maybe to say there are people that believe that stuff. Which it also did.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Seems NPR is completely abandoning Twitter. Curious if other news org follow suit.

NPR will no longer post fresh content to its 52 official Twitter feeds, becoming the first major news organization to go silent on the social media platform. In explaining its decision, NPR cited Twitter's decision to first label the network "state-affiliated media," the same term it uses for propaganda outlets in Russia, China and other autocratic countries.

Twitter then revised its label on NPR's account to "government-funded media." The news organization says that is inaccurate and misleading, given that NPR is a private, nonprofit company with editorial independence. It receives less than 1 percent of its $300 million annual budget from the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

By going silent on Twitter, NPR's chief executive says the network is protecting its credibility and its ability to produce journalism without "a shadow of negativity."

"The downside, whatever the downside, doesn't change that fact," NPR CEO John Lansing said in an interview. "I would never have our content go anywhere that would risk our credibility."

"At this point I have lost my faith in the decision-making at Twitter," he says. "I would need some time to understand whether Twitter can be trusted again."

NPR is instituting a "two-week grace period" so the staff who run the Twitter accounts can revise their social-media strategies. Lansing says individual NPR journalists and staffers can decide for themselves whether to continue using Twitter.

In an email to staff explaining the decision, Lansing wrote, "It would be a disservice to the serious work you all do here to continue to share it on a platform that is associating the federal charter for public media with an abandoning of editorial independence or standards."

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Twitter then revised its label on NPR's account to "government-funded media." The news organization says that is inaccurate and misleading, given that NPR is a private, nonprofit company with editorial independence. It receives less than 1 percent of its $300 million annual budget from the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

Either this is bullshit, or they should stop taking the money if it's of such little consequence and doesn't impact their organization. So which is it?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Either this is bullshit, or they should stop taking the money if it's of such little consequence and doesn't impact their organization. So which is it?

You're asking the wrong question

If it's of such little consequence, then why is musk labeling them the way he did?

Plenty of other independent nonprofits receive SOME government funding like PBS.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So they should stop taking the money? Seems like a sensible solution to me.
I don't really care what or how NPR operates so I don't have an answer to the question. Just pointing out that any non-profit has to disclose their financials because of the tax benefits. I think most businesses will take whatever revenue streams are available to them.

NPR's funding is largely irrelevant and is really only serving as a distraction from the larger point about Twitter's current relationship of news media and other previously verified accounts.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
You're asking the wrong question

If it's of such little consequence, then why is musk labeling them the way he did?

Plenty of other independent nonprofits receive SOME government funding like PBS.

Musk isn't suggesting it's of little consequence, NPR is.

But if he's going to label organizations like that, I agree he should be consistent. Applying labels without objective criteria is the wrong way to handle this, and your PBS example is a good one.

Last edited:

NickFire

If the amount is immaterial and they take issue with being labeled as government funded then I don't understand why they wouldn't just stop taking government funds either. But on the flip side, if they would rather leave twitter than reduce their revenue by 1% that really is not a big deal either. Either way, its just a business decision.

Anyway, there's probably too much hubris at the top levels, but I do hope the rank and file people at these media outlets learned a lesson about not shitting where they eat. Because probably none of this would be happening if they hadn't stood by and let Twitter control so much of what people hear when it was deemed convenient.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
NPR leans left and they aren't a source I seek out but I don't think they're any worse than most orgs these days. As always, seek out multiple coverage of topics to get a better view.

Ground.news consolidates reporting & bias. Here's an example using that story:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
NPR leaving Twitter because of the "Government-funded media" label is absolute perfection. Dear God they turned into hyper propaganda over the last 5 - 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom