• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im reading his own words.

By his own definition of what "free speech" is it would relax the restrictions and sanctions put in place by Twitter against Russian State media.

Now he may make an exception given the genocide in Ukraine, but by his own words that's what would happen.
His definition of free speech was the definition for a very long time before people tried silencing naughty words they don't like and created the hate speech rhetoric.

And I love how you put free speech is quotes.

"Oh god, he believes in fucking 'free speech' you know. My god, can you imagine?"

GHG

Gold Member
3RTdofM.png

076.png

DKehoe

They are contradictory forces to an extent, but figure that 1,000 top engineers are put on it. It could be public but very difficult to outmaneuver.
I think that's one of the things that's going to be fascinating about Twitter going private. They're probably going to be more direct about recognising issues and attempting to tackle them rather than coasting along and playing it safe by maintaining the service's status quo.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
His definition of free speech was the definition for a very long time before people tried silencing naughty words they don't like and created the hate speech rhetoric.

And I love how you put free speech is quotes.

"Oh god, he believes in fucking 'free speech' you know. My god, can you imagine?"
I don't agree that Free speech should mean that anything and everything goes no matter what. I don't believe that hate speech falls under free speech. That's why I put that in quotes.

I'm hoping that Musk is smart enough to still not allow slurs and other hate related speech. Otherwise he is going to see advertisers run for the hills.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't agree that Free speech should mean that anything and everything goes no matter what. I don't believe that hate speech falls under free speech. That's why I put that in quotes.

I'm hoping that Musk is smart enough to still not allow slurs and other hate related speech. Otherwise he is going to see advertisers run for the hills.
Of course he will, even Truth Social does this.

Stop with the "sky is falling" theatrics.

Dr Bass

It doesn't matter what you think in this case.

"Hate speech" is protected, as unanimously affirmed by the Supreme Court.

Hate speech does fall under free speech. Always has.

Somebody saying really mean words to you? Walk away. Or scroll down on the browser.

Like, come on, its not preschool where you have to react to every mean thing said to you.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

Misgendering, a concept that can't be defined properly. is consideree hate speech here and you can go in prison. So 'hate speech' can be just an excuse to restrict free speech.

Hate speech does fall under free speech. Always has.

Somebody saying really mean words to you? Walk away. Or scroll down on the browser.

Like, come on, its not preschool where you have to react to every mean thing said to you.

When someone is bullying you, you will put them in their fucking place, or go to a place without them and exclude them from it.

Xenon

He fucking did it!

The big concern I have is the number of people who work at the company who will continue to push their agenda behind the scenes and deep in the code. It's not like all the people who made Twitter what it is now have left.

If I was Musk Id go through HR records of employees who left or were let go to find people who were not cool with the direction the company was headed.

Last edited:

nocsi

What’s the point? Blocking slurs and other *hate speech* just causes people to speak in code in or otherwise passive aggressive rhetoric. You can’t change people by blocking speech, might as well let people openly talk so you can better identify and address them.

Dr Bass

Agree to disagree.

Hopefully Musk does as well or Twitter is going to be worthless relatively quickly.
Good luck with that. Do you also feel murder is ok? What about theft?

Just curious what other bedrock laws of the land you got your own personal feelings on.

Here is a question. Why would you even want that? We see plenty of white hate going on right now. Do you think that is "hate speech" and do you want that suppressed? If some clown is like "I think Asian people are ruining this country" wouldn't you rather he feel he can say so you know who the idiots are? Why would you want people like that to not only hold stupid opinions, but be made to feel like they can't express them, like that doesn't make it worse?

Get it all out in the open so you can battle ideas. Quit being afraid of words. The absolute weakness inherent in such a position should be enough to turn you away from holding it IMO. I mean how much of a wimp can a person be?

Raven117

Just curious what other bedrock laws of the land you got your own personal feelings on.

Here is a question. Why would you even want that? We see plenty of white hate going on right now. Do you think that is "hate speech" and do you want that suppressed? If some clown is like "I think Asian people are ruining this country" wouldn't you rather he feel he can say so you know who the idiots are? Why would you want people like that to not only hold stupid opinions, but be made to feel like they can't express them, like that doesn't make it worse?

Get it all out in the open so you can battle ideas. Quit being afraid of words. The absolute weakness inherent in such a position should be enough to turn you away from holding it IMO. I mean how much of a wimp can a person be?
No need to engage with Nobody_Imporant on this. Under American jurisprudence, he is wrong. On this, he has no interest in changing. So just let it be.

Moneal

What’s the point? Blocking slurs and other *hate speech* just causes people to speak in code in or otherwise passive aggressive rhetoric. You can’t change people by blocking speech, might as well let people openly talk so you can better identify and address them.
But the left loves "dogwhistles". How else can they call normal people racist for using a hand sign that has been used for years to denote agreement.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Cool. I'm just glad your opinion doesn't matter on this. But this opinion does. Snyder v. Phelps, 562 U.S. 443 (2011).
You're right my opinion doesn't matter. The opinions of the companies and advertisers on Twitter matters though.

And if Musk is actually dumb enough to allow that kind of stuff onto the platform then they will be letting their opinions be known by leaving the platform. No business would want to be associated with something like that.

Sociopaths who want to spew hate speech from the rooftops don’t have ideas, they just want to be evil. They are deemed sociopathic and get deplatformed so that society can prosper, and make more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom