• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Email from my son's (kindergarten) classmates father

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
How do we know these drills result in any significant increase in safety? Seems almost entirely pointless to me - kids vs guns is no contest. If all we end up doing is raising a generation of kids to be trained to live in fear, I fail to see how we've gained anything.

Like you said, "duck and cover" drills in the 60's we're pointless. Let's make sure what we're doing is actually effective rather than parading out the security theater.

oh come on. i had to do these drills all the time in school and no one took them serious enough to "live in fear" because of them

dhlt25

i think i did have these drill when I was in school, although we never have an actor dressing up tho, just security roaming the hall to make sure it's clear

We had "code blue" and "code red" drills back when I was in elementary school and I think middle school as well. Never did we have an actor but I have no clue how much has been added to these drills nowadays, it's been over a decade for me.

Edit: We did have security to check and make sure all the doors were locked from the outside.

Korey

I mean, it's interesting that the school made them do that drill but it's not anything to be concerned about imo.

TheJLC

Sounds like a lockdown/active shooter drill, but I would still make sure it was an actual drill. They are fairly common now along with fire drills. But make sure it actually happened.

The drills themselves do not create fear. They create a memory bank for the kids in case they ever need it. The kids simply do their drill and repeat it over time that it becomes an almost instant reaction and hopefully that applies if a situation were to ever occur.

Hari Seldon

The tactics of these drills sound pretty piss poor if the only plan is to lock the door and hide. Fuck hiding. Lock the door, get out the window, and scatter.

Oreoleo

The tactics of these drills sound pretty piss poor if the only plan is to lock the door and hide. Fuck hiding. Lock the door, get out the window, and scatter.

Then you've got a mess of little kids running out into streets, going missing, etc. I get the point you're making but... that isn't the solution.

sturmdogg

Well, elementary schools did drills during the 1960s in case of a nuclear bomb going off.

I would feel fine with this. Better to have an action in place than nothing at all. But, I can understand placing fear into children may make you feel so-so about it.

True. Don't they also do earthquake drills? Don't see the harm in this to be honest.

platakul

Banned

This is actually the current debate amongst educators, but politicians don't want to touch it for obvious reasons, so you don't hear about it often. The initial reaction to stuff like Columbine was lockdown and shelter in place. But the alternative, which some poeple like is hide, flee, or fight. Like use your best judgment? But the sole reason for lockdown is to TRY to give kids some direction if their classmate whips out a weapon. In practice, shootings usually happen at lunchtime and stuff, so its going to be all hell break loose

Horns

Got a moment, teacher? I heard from a friend who heard from a 5 year old that you're doing something I never did in school.

Ask the teacher before getting worked up. My 5 year old told me the real Spider-man visited her school last week.

Regiruler

I've had lockdown drills all throughout public school. Is the fact that these exist genuinely new information to you OP?

Sadly a drill like this actually seems like a reasonable idea with the amount of shootings that happen.

It's not just for shootings.

For example the one time we had to do it for real, it was because some guy got high on something and came into the school thinking it was the post office.

Dude freaked out and started taking his clothes off, and the school cop had to tase him.

Relativ9

It's a bit of an overblown threat but I imagine the number one reason these are done is so the school is protected from litigation should a shooting happen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Schools need fire shutters or something installed, that drop down to block off rooms/corridors. Then if there is a suspected shooter you literally lock the building down and make it so he can't move around.

I get the practicality of teaching this to kids but the fact it is needed is so depressing, especially teaching to really young kids.

dity

The drill sounds normal, but the kid saying not to tell the teacher and that she hid under the teacher's desk feels REAL suss. I don't like it and think that alone is worth a phone call.

I'm okay with it. I mean fire drills exist for a reason, and if there were as many school shooting in Canada, and that I had kids that went to school; I would definitely be okay with drills like these so that the kids and the school staff know what to do just in case.

Though, I honestly would have assumed that the mayor or principale would have contacted the parents beforehand. It's messed up to have the need for those in the first place, and I can see why some parents arn't taking it well.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Hadn't heard of lockdown drills before but it makes sense. Have to be careful that it doesn't turn into a fear mongering session.

Kinokou

Since you still didn't post any new details (or I missed them?), could it be that the child experienced some kind of sexual abuse? It's the "do not tell Ms." that seems worrisome to me.

If I sound overly paranoid it is because we have two huge cases going on in Norwegian court now with one of them being against a kindergarten worker who abused children on the job and the other a father who abused random kids from his street.

Hopefully you will get confirmed that there was indeed a drill and that all the class was hiding. Just check that the kid and the teacher wasn't alone during the drill, as it seems like a situation easy to take advantage in a "we must be quiet because there is bad man looking for us" and "if you tell anyone the bad man will come back" kind of way.

Sorry if I am fear mongering, but my reaction to the OP is genuine concern based on current events over here.

Yeah, maybe not such a good idea for young children, but this was what we were told to do in my high school.

I remember doing this in elementary school in the early 1990s. This was in a school in the San Diego area. I think they were called intruder or tresspasser drills.

I'm in college and we go through shooter drills. There are admins or school security that check the doors in the buildings. They don't do the whole school, just particular buildings at certain times for one week in the fall.

It very well could be exaggerated that there was someone dressed up. It was probably a school officer or something checking the doors. They need to ensure the teacher is following procedure.

The part of keeping it secret could be the child's interpretation of what the teacher said. I'm sure there were rules about staying very quiet and not talking.

Most the time, drills are done at the beginning of the school year within the first few weeks. And I don't think there was any notice sent home when I was in grade school. We were just told it would be happening sometime during the week.

Its sad that the school would consider the drills to be worth doing (if they are in fact doing them), but if those drills can save lives by preparing kids to hide and keep quiet, if/when that school is attacked by a nut with a gun, then its a good thing.

Crayolan

As someone who just finished high school around 2 and half years ago, I've been having lockdown drills since I was in Kindergarten. Back in the early 2000s they were relegated to once once a semester (twice a year), but then around 7th-8th grade they were upped to once a marking period (4 times year) and then once I got into high school we started doing them once a month.

The lockdown just consists of the principal coming in on the loudspeaker, saying that there's a lockdown drill, and then the kids are required to turn off the lights and huddle up in a corner of the room. They sit around for 5-10 minutes then police officers come to the doors and give you the okay to resume class.

Specifying a hypothetical gunman being the reason for these is something I certainly didn't hear until at least 8th grade, but maybe they're more upfront with the little kids nowadays.

I have no idea why this would be a secret to the parents though.

co1onel

I actually remember my teachers in school telling us that if we heard someone at the door it was just a police officer or teacher making sure the door is locked. The students should be aware that it is only a drill, and the parents should also be informed that a drill is taking place. The kids don't even have to know what the drill is for.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The "do not tell" part makes it seem like something else specific to the girl is possibly happening instead.

Why does she get to go under the teachers desk exactly and not her own, yknow? Maybe there is no actor but training the girl to be more quiet if someone accidentally walks in during something inappropriate?

I only ever did earthquake/fire drills personally.

dabig2

Graduated HS around 12 years ago. Did not remember anything like this, but then again I went to a private fundy Christian school in a suburb. Only had fire drills and the like.

I'd be curious to know what ethnicity this "actor" was.

I know you're already banned, but this is a really weird thing to highlight considering the vast majority of school shootings are done by young white males.

I work in schools (K-12 and in the US) and our drills for active shooters or whatever don't involve people in camo wandering the halls. It's usually a uniformed police officer who checks the doors to make sure they're all locked and they can't see anyone through the glass.

This sounds sensible; i.e. having a police officer attend to check that the drill is adequate and the children are safe. But having a man in camouflage stalk the corridors, asking the kids (kid?) to hide under the teacher's desk and then she said not to mention it to the teacher sounds a little odd. Worthy of, at the very least, a phone call or email to the school office. It would probably be in the school's interest to let parents know if they're going to be doing drills like these as well.

I went to bed in the middle of this thread but just as an FYI, lockdowns aren't practices only for active shooters. I had a non-drill lockdown in my high school. The reason? A deer jumped through the glass and was running in the hallways. The thing was injured and scared and posed a threat to anyone who got near it. We went into lockdown as the police and staff corralled it out of the school. It just sort of makes sense to roll as many emergencies as you can into a drill. Right now I work mostly in a special education building and we have a couple students with behavioral problems who can get violent. And these are BIG students who can really hurt someone. We go into lockdown almost weekly because one of the students is having trouble and makes it to the hallway. There's also one student who hates wearing clothes and she'll try to strip bare and sit in the halls, so we go into lockdown for that too as staff try to calm her down and redress her.

All schools do these drills these days, yes? The actor is a bit much, but how would his kid have even seen the guy?
Yeah, the actor is a bit extreme, but even in my high school, we would do lockdown drills for a situation if someone dangerous was in the building

RedToad64

I'm 38 and the only drills we did in school were fire drills. I had no idea lockdown drills were even a thing. I have a big problem with (for lack of a better work) 'culture of fear'. If the school wants to put the classroom in a hiding spot while a 'bad guy' walks the halls looking for them then I want to know and opt out.
This is like saying you want to opt out of fire drills.

TrueOutlook

Neo Member
In my high school we had to do this sort of drill at least twice a year. The bell went and everyone had to hide under the desks for 15 minutes. Just a normal drill in case something that would require it actually happens.

Having a guy walking around the school to more accurately simulate such a scenario however is a bit much. I can see how the kids could get very scared seeing him walk past the windows.

I'm 38 and the only drills we did in school were fire drills. I had no idea lockdown drills were even a thing. I have a big problem with (for lack of a better work) 'culture of fear'. If the school wants to put the classroom in a hiding spot while a 'bad guy' walks the halls looking for them then I want to know and opt out.
It's not a culture of fear. Do you think fire drills are establishing a fear of fires? It helps to be prepared and have a plan of action that students have practiced in case of a crisis, the same way you practice a plan of action in case there's a fire

Trust me, the last thing you want during a potential crisis is a disorganized panicking mass of students

There probably wasn't an actor roaming the halls. That sounds like something that would get spread around by other kids but usually the principal goes around and makes sure everyone is following the drill.

Lockdowns aren't just for active shooters and they aren't a recent thing.

Alucrid

Banned
I went to bed in the middle of this thread but just as an FYI, lockdowns aren't practices only for active shooters. I had a non-drill lockdown in my high school. The reason? A deer jumped through the glass and was running in the hallways. The thing was injured and scared and posed a threat to anyone who got near it. We went into lockdown as the police and staff corralled it out of the school. It just sort of makes sense to roll as many emergencies as you can into a drill. Right now I work mostly in a special education building and we have a couple students with behavioral problems who can get violent. And these are BIG students who can really hurt someone. We go into lockdown almost weekly because one of the students is having trouble and makes it to the hallway. There's also one student who hates wearing clothes and she'll try to strip bare and sit in the halls, so we go into lockdown for that too as staff try to calm her down and redress her.
Yeah but if that deer had a gun it would have shot off the locks so you should have started to throw kids out the window immediately.

Kunan

I was 19 when Columbine happened, so I wasn't in school, so has this become popular since then? Because some of you are acting like it's normal, but we had tornado and fire drills, that's it.

This is actually really creepy to me and I wonder if my son's done it but never said anything.
We did these in school after columbine happened. I can't remember if we did them prior. The teachers said in an event we need to lock the door, turn out the lights and would point out the areas that don't have sight lines with the door.

EhoaVash

We did these drills in elementary school, middle school not high school though.in the 90s/early 2000. Nothing new op. Usually it's the principal who goes around knocking on doors. The students would giggle a lot and teacher would get mad at us.

There probably wasn't an actor roaming the halls. That sounds like something that would get spread around by other kids but usually the principal goes around and makes sure everyone is following the drill.

Lockdowns aren't just for active shooters and they aren't a recent thing.
They aren't just for that no... but a very large reason they are so widespread. My fiancé is a teacher- worst day of the year for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom