• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Ubisoft won't comment on Wii U version of Watch Dogs

Koppai

I wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled the 360/PS3 version as well.

The install base for those platforms is huge, there is no way they will cancel those. Now the Wii U getting the short end of the stick makes me not even trust third parties anymore.

scitek

Rösti;99448748 said:
Considering this is the most recent thread about Watch Dogs, I find it the most appropriate to post the following in:

watchdogsrtdq9.png

Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85642398&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

It's only for one of six trademarks, so I'm not posting a thread yet. Maybe more of these will share the same fate. Maybe it's a system error? If it's new thread worthy, make it so.

It's specifically spelled with an underscore in the name, so I don't know what that is that you found.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's specifically spelled with an underscore in the name, so I don't know what that is that you found.
That's only the branding, it's not trademarked WATCH_DOGS. Click "Current Owner(s) Information" and you'll see it's by Ubisoft.

SFenton

The install base for those platforms is huge, there is no way they will cancel those. Now the Wii U getting the short end of the stick makes me not even trust third parties anymore.

I don't see why you wouldn't trust third parties. Heaven forbid they do something in their best business interests.

If no one's (exaggeration, but less than 1% of sales) going to buy on that system, why make it for it?

LoveCake

I have the DeadSec version on order for my WiiU but i'm getting a PS4 next month so Nintendo had better hurry up & either sort this out or throw some money at UBi, the gamepad functions are supposed to be good but the extra Oomph! of the PS4 will swing it for me especially with the online compared to the WiiU version.

Potentially seeing (hoping more so I guess) one of two possible outcomes. Either outright canceled or possibly reduced to a digital only title. If it was almost done they might has well release it and make something back. However digital as to not have to have the added expense of printing and shipping physical copies that won't sell or will be sold back to them or just heavily discounted. A digital release they can keep at full price or discount at their own choosing. It could still sell over time if the Wii U's population increases with the release of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. The thought being that those that were willing to buy it would buy it that way if that's the only way of getting it. If things get better they could release the physical GOTY/Ultimate edition you just know they might attempt.

I'm betting they had to do significant work to the game which is why they delayed it. At that point, it probably didn't make sense to do that work on the WiiU version when they really needed all hands on deck for the SKUs that are actually going to sell decently. In other words if it is cancelled, it will be because of opportunity cost.

Rösti;99448748 said:
Considering this is the most recent thread about Watch Dogs, I find it the most appropriate to post the following in:

watchdogsrtdq9.png

Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85642398&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

It's only for one of six trademarks, so I'm not posting a thread yet. Maybe more of these will share the same fate. Maybe it's a system error? If it's new thread worthy, make it so.

I don't know much about trademarks, so correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the trademark for the actual game itself while the five others are for products/services with relation to the game (clothing, television, toys, instruction manuals/books, and a website)?

The descriptions for the trademarks seem to say that (at least what I understood from it), which makes the abandonment of this one seem even weirder.

cacildo

It means absolutely nothing. You guys can't seriously think that Ubisoft is going to cancel completely Watch_Dogs, do you?

Who knows? Maybe the game is just terrible.
From what i saw until now, i would never pay more than $10 for this game

Sneds

Ubisoft could have handled this situation better. At this point, I think they should make clear to Wii U owners whether or not the game will be released. Unless Ubisoft have not yet come to a final decision.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know much about trademarks, so correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the trademark for the actual game itself while the five others are for products/services with relation to the game (clothing, television, toys, instruction manuals/books, and a website)?

The descriptions for the trademarks seem to say that (at least what I understood from it), which makes the abandonment of this one seem even weirder.
The other Watch Dogs trademarkes have the following G&S:

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services namely providing an on-line computer game for others over global and local area computer networks and providing information on-line relating to computer games, video games and computer and video games related products

IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Computer game instruction manuals and published guides containing suggestions on how to play the computer games; printed matter, namely, books featuring works of fiction; printed matter, namely, comics featuring works of fiction

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Toys and playthings, namely dolls, toy action figures, plush toys and accessories thereof, playsets for dolls and toy action figures, toy vehicles, and hand held units for electronic games

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, continuing television programs and interactive television programs featuring comedy, drama, live-action, and animation, broadcast over television, satellite, audio, and video media; presentation of live stage show performances, presentation of live show performances by costumed characters, and presentation of live theatrical performances; production and distribution of motion pictures

IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, T-shirts, tank tops, tops, shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, jackets, coats, pants, skirts, dresses, shorts, vests, sleepwear, pajamas, underwear, rainwear, swimwear, headwear, hats, caps, visors, ties, sweatpants, scarves, gloves, socks, hosiery, footwear, shoes, slippers, neckwear, belts, infants' one-piece garments, and infants' pajamas

wrowa

Even if the game was so terrible that they saw the need to cancel its release in order not to hurt their reputation, I can't imagine they would just abandon the trademark from one day to the next.

jmizzal

"Last month, reports began circling of GameStop stores in Italy and the U.S. canceling pre-orders for Watch Dogs on Wii U. Ubisoft confirmed with Polygon at the time that the Wii U version had not been canceled, but Nintendo's third quarter financial report published on Jan. 30 did not list Watch Dogs as a Wii U title coming this fiscal year. Ubisoft again confirmed that the game was slated to launch in the first quarter of Ubisoft and Nintendo's fiscal year 2014-2015, which begins in April.

Looks like Polygon got a response from Ubisoft and they said twice that the game is still coming to WiiU

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/3/5374634/why-did-ubisoft-abandon-one-of-its-watch-dogs-trademarks

"Last month, reports began circling of GameStop stores in Italy and the U.S. canceling pre-orders for Watch Dogs on Wii U. Ubisoft confirmed with Polygon at the time that the Wii U version had not been canceled, but Nintendo's third quarter financial report published on Jan. 30 did not list Watch Dogs as a Wii U title coming this fiscal year. Ubisoft again confirmed that the game was slated to launch in the first quarter of Ubisoft and Nintendo's fiscal year 2014-2015, which begins in April.

Looks like Polygon got a response from Ubisoft and they said twice that the game is still coming to WiiU

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/3/5374634/why-did-ubisoft-abandon-one-of-its-watch-dogs-trademarks

HOORAY!

What I'm wondering is if maybe there's a name change and that's why it wasn't in the list.

Temporary relief for Wii U owners. I guess I'll reserve my copy and let fate decide whether or not I'll get to play the game.

Pennywise

Wait, didn't they say "no comment" at the time when the Gamestop stuff showed up ?

Besides, the second conformation is about the title itself and not specifically the WiiU version.

"Second conformation"

oneils

I don't disagree with the Saints Row move, but why no chance for GTAV? I don't mean exclusive, I mean having the game launch at the same time as PS360, and in this scenario, the WiiU version may have been the best of them, which may have encouraged sales a little.

Did the wii u even exist when they started developing gta v?

Glass Joe

Ubisoft again confirmed that the game was slated to launch in the first quarter of Ubisoft and Nintendo's fiscal year 2014-2015, which begins in April.

I was interested in reading the full article confirming this for the second time, but Ubi really didn't. The linked source is just a blurb that is not Nintendo specific at all: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/27/us-ubisoft-idUSBREA0Q0MC20140127

Reuters said:
(Reuters) - France's Ubisoft on Monday declined comment on market talk of possible delay to the release of its "Watch Dogs" game and said it was still set for release in the first quarter of its 2014-15 fiscal year.

"The group does not comment on market rumors," a Ubisoft spokesman said in response to a query from Reuters, after a 4-percent fall in the company's share price. "The game is still expected in the first quarter of fiscal 2014-15."

I'm hoping it comes. With no GTA V on Wii U, it's possible Watch_Dogs could gain a little more traction than the usual mature 3rd party port.

I mentioned this earlier (perhaps in a different thread?)... I know in the scheme of things, amazon.com is a very small portion of the market, but the pre-sell trends by platform are interesting. I can't think of any reason why one platform would be favored over another on a site like amazon:

amazon.com Watch Dogs Sales Rank (as of 2/3/14):
PS4 - #314
Xbox One - #872
Wii U - $1953
Xbox 360 - #2401
PC - #3903
PS3 - #9197

Temporary relief for Wii U owners. I guess I'll reserve my copy and let fate decide whether or not I'll get to play the game.

As said, last month Ubisoft specifically stated the Wii U version was not cancelled to Polygon.

When asked about it again for Wii U recently, Ubisoft just said generically that Watch_Dogs was an upcoming game. It didn't specifically address the Wii U version that time.

So we can't completely rule out the possibility of something being up with the Wii U version.

Again, multiple, large news websites contacted Ubisoft very recently about the Wii U version but were only received with "no comment." Has something changed between last month and now? Maybe Ubisoft was waiting for Nintendo to release their financial results similar to how multiple games (Origins DLC, Pacman Museum) were similarly cancelled?

Top Bottom