• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire: "John Landis says Disney is releasing Theatrical Star Wars cuts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toparaman

Banned
Yeah, same here. The Special Editions that they released theatrically in the late 90s were the first time I saw Star Wars in a theater, so I'd love it if they even just released that version on Blu-ray. The original versions would be great too of course.

Granted, the Special Editions from the 90s had some terrible early CG like Jabba, so I could maybe do without that.

They should go the Blade Runner route and release every cut on Blu-Ray, maybe along with a "Final Cut" that incorporates the best from each cut.

A special bundle that includes the original theatrical edits, the 90's special editions and the most recent Blu Ray monstrosities would probably shut everyone up.

Liamario

Banned
I only know special editions. While the originals were on the when I was a kid, I only took interest in the series in 1997.
I would love an edition with all the original special effects cleaned up- particularly the lightsabers in ANH. But to that would be hard, the movies have had so many variations at this point.

inm8num2

I like Spielberg's view on why it's important to preserve the original versions of movies.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49921

If 1941 comes on Blu-Ray I’m not going to go back and take the wires out because the Blu-Ray will bring the wires out, that are guiding the airplanes down Hollywood Blvd. At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and with all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history.

The best thing is to just give people options. Let them choose which version they prefer.

Metalmarc

i created this hashtag in a lame attempt to get it noticed by Disney/lucasfilm, so that even though this Landis rumor may or may not be right, at least they know we are interested on twitter

#wewantstarwarstheatricalcuts

so far only one person has mentioned it, ha ha, so much for the idea of making it trend, oh well i tried.

Toparaman

Banned
i created this hashtag in a lame attempt to get it noticed by Disney/lucasfilm, so that even though this Landis rumor may or may not be right, at least they know we are interested on twitter

#wewantstarwarstheatricalcuts

so far only one person has mentioned it, ha ha, so much for the idea of making it trend, oh well i tried.

Not catchy enough. #ReleaseTheOriginals would be better I think, though I don't use Twitter.

marrec

Banned
I love how everyone is just reporting the original rumor without actually talking to anybody at Fox or Disney or Lucasfilm.

Shouldn't someone call someone and be like "So, Landis spilled the beans, any comment?"

The private restoration I was referring to was based on professional 4K scans of release prints which were cleaned and graded on professional grade equipment. From what i can gather it is now done and has been printed back to film. The guy who did it has worked for LFL before and was done with their knowledge but under the understanding it will never be made public. He has pretty much stated they can have it and release it should they wish to.

Oh yeah, Mike Verta's thing. It seems really, really cool. But he's also pretty spiteful about it, whereas a lot of the other fan restoration projects are annoyed, but not necessarily mean-spirited. Verta just kinda goes in whenever he talks about it. Which makes his offer seem... not quite facetious, because I believe he would let them have it if they did ask, but he also seems to be trying to create an atmosphere where they don't necessarily want to ask.

However there are original elements from 1977 which could be used.

Yeah, I found that out about a year ago, I think, which made me hopeful that the 4k restorations would incorporate that material. Maybe it'll happen in the future. It's just another aspect of this whole thing that adds to the general frustration. Your points about Disney are also great points. But I'm wondering if the fact that they don't have that level of control over Lucasfilm, apparently (Horn & Iger seem to be hands off with the company) has something to do with why Star Wars doesn't seem to be undergoing the same treatment as other Disney owned classics.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Would be there day 1 if true but I'm not holding my breath.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I like Spielberg's view on why it's important to preserve the original versions of movies.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49921

The best thing is to just give people options. Let them choose which version they prefer.

enhanced-buzz-1012-1348048739-4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom