• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic details Unreal Engine 4 upgrades made for Fortnite: Battle Royale

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Epic makes games, and licenses their tools to make games to other people who make other games.

A conflict of interest is inevitable. Apparently, considering the number of their licensees, nobody has much of a problem with it.

We haven't had a situation like this where games of the same genre are competing within the same timeframe. Add to that the genre is still relatively new and up for claims by the AAA space.

I can see Epic taking strategic decisions to delay addressing engine specific issues in order to promote their product first. Not saying they have, or they will, but the incentive to do so is definitely there, and Bluehole have good reason to be uncomfortable with this relationship.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope this helps PUBG, it really is the worst game I've ever loved.

Ploid 3.0

I think Epic is more focused on serving their engine customers than making a little bit of money on cosmetics down the line. They are kind of like Valve at this point. They don't seem to make much on their games compared to the money they make on the engines they make. I would like to see how much they make on Paragon skins and coins, they sold 1million copies of Fortnite's PVE at $40 or more each so that is good. No monitization in BR so far.

If it turns out that they held back support for their engine just to get an advantage in their own game, that would just drive customers to the other engines, and there's competition out there (it's why UE4 is free to use until you start selling a product made with it right?).

We haven't had a situation like this where games of the same genre are competing within the same timeframe. Add to that the genre is still relatively new and up for claims by the AAA space.

I can see Epic taking strategic decisions to delay addressing engine specific issues in order to promote their product first. Not saying they have, or they will, but the incentive to do so is definitely there, and Bluehole have good reason to be uncomfortable with this relationship.

They might but the engine is open source and on GitHub.

They can loop up the updates and probably cherry pick the performance improvements
they want.

Top Bottom