• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: UE4 full feature set requies 1 TFLOP GPU, a scaled down version exists for less

Remember TeraFlops are made up marketing numbers and are completely useless.

Epic claims you need a 1 TFLOP CPU for UE4.

If you go back and read the original PS3 press release on May 16, 2006, the Sony spec sheet claims the RSX could perform 1.8TFLOPS (I'm not making this up, go look at the press release).

So UE4 should run great on a PS3!

WRONG!

Both numbers are completely bogus and Epic, Sony (and NVidia, AMD) are trying to insult our collective GAF intelligence. Don't believe them.

Thats just false.

And yea, anybody who knows anything about GPUs knew the Sony/NV claims were bullshit.

But anyway, 1TFLOP isn't a steep requirement at all, hell its kinda low for today's standards. Really makes me wonder about all the fuss of Epic wanting more power in the consoles.

Thats just false.

And yea, anybody who knows anything about GPUs knew the Sony/NV claims were bullshit.

But anyway, 1TFLOP isn't a steep requirement at all, hell its kinda low for today's standards. Really makes me wonder about all the fuss of Epic wanting more power in the consoles.

It's probably more of a memory thing I assume.

lefantome

I remember the 2005 marketing:

ps3 was about 1.8 TFLOPS

360 1 TFLOPS

I wonder why the made such a unbeliveble claim and nobody complained. I mean today GPU are about 1 TFLOPS right? ho could they achieve that 7 years ago?

I know it's a marketing stunt, but I believed that these console were about 1 TFLOPS for years. Why nobody didn't say anything??? :(

Was it a flat out lie? Lol,I believed that until yesterday when epic said 1 teraflop was required for ue4. Is the 1.8 figure for CPU+gpu or something like that?

Nah, I *think* there may sorta kinda possibly maybe be another piece of hardware with a <1.5tf GPU hehe

Hmm... My first guess would be Apple of course, but then I did a search and I found out that there is an Nvidia card that falls between 1-1.5 Tflops. it's the GTX 555, also known as the card inside the Alienware X51. And the Alienware X51 was rumoured to be sort of a "prototype" for the mythical Steambox. Hmm... Still, the smart money is on Apple.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

ps3 was about 1.8 TFLOPS

360 1 TFLOPS

I wonder why the made such a unbeliveble claim and nobody complained. I mean today GPU are about 1 TFLOPS right? ho could they achieve that 7 years ago?

I know it's a marketing stunt, but I believed that these console were about 1 TFLOPS for years. Why nobody didn't say anything??? :(

Pretty sure in those cases, they were talking about the CPU for those consoles, not the GPU.

ps3 was about 1.8 TFLOPS

360 1 TFLOPS

Oh people complained lol. Todays high-end gpus are like 3+.

Raide

So which engine does everyone think had the best demo?

Luminous Engine or Unreal Engine 4?

I gotta go with Luminous engine.

Best Demo for tech that will be used? UE4.
Best Demo for tech people imagine will be used? Luminous

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm... My first guess would be Apple of course, but then I did a search and I found out that there is an Nvidia card that falls between 1-1.5 Tflops. it's the GTX 555, also known as the card inside the Alienware X51. And the Alienware X51 was rumoured to be sort of a "prototype" for the mythical Steambox. Hmm... Still, the smart money is on Apple.

There seems to be a rumour doing the rounds that points at the 720 wrt that range, but it would surprise me if MS went with 1Tf. 1.5Tf would be far more reasonable however.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It will really be interesting to see how much power the consoles have.

If they launch with 1tf they have failed IMO.

Hopefully we see some really powerful consoles come fall of next year.

UrbanRats

Best Demo for tech that will be used? UE4.
Best Demo for tech people imagine will be used? Luminous

As of now, we don't even know how much toning down they'll have to do with the UE4, for next gen consoles.
I'll go in Fantasy Land, therefore, and say Luminous.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is actually quite heartening since originally they were claiming 2TFlops, which is what I expect next-gen will be around. Should run quite well on those machines then if that pans out.

japtor

According to this the current iPad does 32Gflops, while PowerVR Series 6 stuff (should be coming within a year or two I'd guess) seems to be aiming for eventually 1Tflop on the higher end...so I doubt Apple will be there any time soon, perhaps in a few years.

(This is assuming that if they put out a box it'll use the economies of scale from the iPhone/iPad parts like they've been doing with the Apple TV, so whatever they use will likely be mobile friendly low power stuff.)

LeleSocho

Banned
So basically a PS4/X720/PC version and a WiiU version.
sincerely i wouldn't have bet one cent on them doing the scaled down version...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Pathetic. I thought this was meant to be some next gen exclusive high end stuff, 1TFLOP is basically nothing, even a pathetic 7770 has 1.3TFLOPS.

I dont understand why you think this is pathetic.
They are saying they want to achieve Elemental level graphics on 1tflop plus hardware....if anything its a good thing, they are focusing on optimizing the engine for more powerful GPUs.

UrbanRats

I dont understand why you think this is pathetic.
They are saying they want to achieve Elemental level graphics on 1tflop plus hardware....if anything its a good thing, they are focusing on optimizing the engine for more powerful GPUs.

But this way even poor plebes will be able to experience it, disgusting!

So its save to assume this means 1080p@30fps high settings.
How about 1080p@60fps ultra settings are we talking 4TFlops or something.

z0m3le

Banned
To be honest, we would really need technical specs to know that. The full feature set engnie basically requires DirectX 11 grade hardware and 1 TFLOP of performance.

Based on the leaks from that thread, the DX11 part might be true, though it's not 100% clear.

If we assume Ubisoft is being truthful though, that would be 250 GFLOPS from Xenos * 1.5 = 375 GFLOPs. It's not a slouch by any means, but that is kind of far from the 1 TFLOPS line.

If Ubisoft was understating and the real thing is closer to like 800+ GFLOPS, I feel attempting a full port would be much more reasonable.

yeah, it's much more likely somewhere between ~400-600GFLOPs, I'm still hoping for some Fixed function shaders making up some of the difference when it comes to lighting.

They also said the CPU is 1x, which i can't even imagine, it is an out of order, 3 core, 6 threads (with advancements to SMT) larger caches, and likely a turbo clock... Not to mention the Wii U has a DSP, and compute shaders in the GPU... The CPU is obviously should be reasonably more powerful than 360, so I assume the GPU is in the range I put above... 800GLOPs would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

BigTnaples

So its save to assume this means 1080p@30fps high settings.
How about 1080p@60fps ultra settings are we talking 4TFlops or something.

I doubt this means high settings at all.

I think they mean it needs 1TF to run on consoles with anything resembling an upgrade over UE3.

For instance they said 1.7TF to run Samaritan at 720p...

So to get UE4 looking like the elemental demo, I would think you will need much more than 1TF.

charsace

As of now, we don't even know how much toning down they'll have to do with the UE4, for next gen consoles.
I'll go in Fantasy Land, therefore, and say Luminous.

Most likely what Epic showed off can be used in next gen consoles since they have input in the development of them.

Sandfox

This kinda makes the fact that Epic was pushing specs kinda funny since it probably made the companies drive up their cost to run an engine they could've already ran with their current planned specs.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
This kinda makes the fact that Epic was pushing specs kinda funny since it probably made the companies drive up their cost to run an engine they could've already ran with their current planned specs.

running something and running something well are two different beasts though

Sweet, my 4770 does 960 GFLOPS. No video card upgrade necessary for me!

FLOPS is such a bad metric to use.
Without more context its kind of confusing but FLOPs are by far the best metric available.
Agreed. No chance in hell 1 TF = 1080p 30fps

1 TF is probably the absolute bare minimum needed to run the engine.

I'd guess 1 TF is enough for 720p 30fps with the graphics options sliders cranked down.

I wouldn't say bare minimum at all. Interview doesn't imply that nor does their previous comments.

I wouldn't say bare minimum at all. Interview doesn't imply that nor does their previous comments.

They recently said to run Samaritan demo fluidly at 720p you need 4x X360.

1 Teraflop is roughly 4x X360. UE4 is more advanced than Samaritan. Ergo with the same power, UE4 is not going run as well as Samaritan.

1 Teraflop is pretty shitty in 2012. They say it will handle the full feature set engine, but there is going to be a MASSIVE difference in how a 1 teraflop card runs an UE4 game versus a contemporary enthusiast card, the latest single 2012 GPU cards are pushing what, 3-4 Teraflops ? Let alone a few years from now when the UE4 comes into its own.

Yeah I think you have to be optimistic as hell to think a 1TF card is going to make UE4 games look as good as top level card, resolution aside.

I wouldn't be surprised if Epic got some kind of final confirmation on future GPU specs and that's why the have drawn the line in the sand at 1TF. I would assume one or more of the consoles meets that, and so that's intended to be the lowest common denominator.

Now of course the article says there is a scaled down version, but that's not what we're talking about. 1TF is the bare bones minimum to run the game with the global illumination and such etc.

They recently said to run Samaritan demo fluidly at 720p you need 4x X360.

1 Teraflop is roughly 4x X360. UE4 is more advanced than Samaritan. Ergo with the same power, UE4 is not going run as well as Samaritan.

1 Teraflop is pretty shitty in 2012. They say it will handle the full feature set engine, but there is going to be a MASSIVE difference in how a 1 teraflop card runs an UE4 game versus a contemporary enthusiast card, the latest single 2012 GPU cards are pushing what, 3-4 Teraflops ? Let alone a few years from now when the UE4 comes into its own.

Yeah I think you have to be optimistic as hell to think a 1TF card is going to make UE4 games look as good as top level card, resolution aside.

I wouldn't be surprised if Epic got some kind of final confirmation on future GPU specs and that's why the have drawn the line in the sand at 1TF. I would assume one or more of the consoles meets that, and so that's intended to be the lowest common denominator.

Now of course the article says there is a scaled down version, but that's not what we're talking about. 1TF is the bare bones minimum to run the game with the global illumination and such etc.

Ah so you mean bare minimum to run the full-feature engine. Which is kind of a oxy-moron but yea I getcha.

I would still say that's jumping the guns a bit. Interview says DX11 Gpus are the targets and things get interesting on 1+Tflop class HW. I doubt its top level performance but that comment suggests that it could be anywhere in the low-high setting scale.

BigTnaples

Linkup

Did Epic ever show video of the UE4 teaser thingy?

Is this it?

Doesn't look as good as SE demo...that could just be the video quality though

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So my overclocked GTX460 just about squeezes past.

I wonder how my core 2 duo will run with this engine. I'm guessing not great.

Top Bottom