• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Escapist's NFS:Rivals Xbox One Gameplay video actually shows PS4 footage...

Ohh, I want to see it, share a link.

OT: You know, Escapist doing it is one thing, but the Official Xbox Channel leaving that video up for nearly 2 months? Has anyone tweeted Major or Albert to let them know that their Xbox Channel is showing Playstation 4 footage? PlayStation version must be pretty good, if the competitor is showing it.

I don't think there's any Xbox One watch dogs footage

TheHater

This reminds me of yesterday's discussions. A lot of gaming 'journalists' have been clashing with gamers and consumers alike, and they (Sessler for example) have the audacity to say that we have made the industry worse. Yet, here we have footage of a game being introduced as gameplay footage for an Xbox One, yet it's running on a completely different console. Are you fucking kidding me? Granted, differences might be negligible, but that isn't the point.

If I am shopping for an MP3 player, a new television, or anything for that matter, how can I be shown that item's supposed functionality by use of another product? it's fucking stupid. What's worse is that they think we're ignorant and they lie to us. It's outrageous. But we will still be blamed for the decline of the industry because we are vocal about our complaints.

A lot of you may find NeoGAF intolerable at times, but I have to say that I truly think it's one of the best outlets for news. I find all of my news stories here. I find more of the "truth" here thanks to DetectiveGAF. I feel more informed just browsing these forums overall. Had I never discovered it, I think I'd be ignorant to the many lies the industry and overall media are engulfed in.

Thanks, GAF.

Well said.
Applause_meter_1.jpg

I don't know. I don't think anyone was trying to be deceptive. The Escapist had footage of an interview at an event, no direct footage, so they interspersed it with previously shown footage to punch it up. I doubt they were trying to fool anyone.

Cyborg

This reminds me of yesterday's discussions. A lot of gaming 'journalists' have been clashing with gamers and consumers alike, and they (Sessler for example) have the audacity to say that we have made the industry worse. Yet, here we have footage of a game being introduced as gameplay footage for an Xbox One, yet it's running on a completely different console. Are you fucking kidding me? Granted, differences might be negligible, but that isn't the point.

If I am shopping for an MP3 player, a new television, or anything for that matter, how can I be shown that item's supposed functionality by use of another product? it's fucking stupid. What's worse is that they think we're ignorant and they lie to us. It's outrageous. But we will still be blamed for the decline of the industry because we are vocal about our complaints.

A lot of you may find NeoGAF intolerable at times, but I have to say that I truly think it's one of the best outlets for news. I find all of my news stories here. I find more of the "truth" here thanks to DetectiveGAF. I feel more informed just browsing these forums overall. Had I never discovered it, I think I'd be ignorant to the many lies the industry and overall media are engulfed in.

Thanks, GAF.

Great post

Curufinwe

I don't know. I don't think anyone was trying to be deceptive. The Escapist had footage of an interview at an event, no direct footage, so they interspersed it with previously shown footage to punch it up. I doubt they were trying to fool anyone.

I agree. In this case it's more amusing, than anything to get mad about.

Briarios

These game writers and sites want to be taken for legitimate journalists - if that's the case, you don't get to make continual mistakes like these. Fact checking, editing, reviewing footage before releasing is a vital part of the job - especially when information is moving to fast these days that you usually get only one chance to get it right.

When an error does occur, they need to go out of their way to post corrections and make sure everyone is aware of the mistake. However, they don't usually do this. There is this laissez faire attitude towards facts that needs to stop. They need to be called on it. This is the reason they have the reputation of being shills - no responsibility towards providing accurate information, as long as they sell for their advertisers.

KJ869

When an error does occur, they need to go out of their way to post corrections and make sure everyone is aware of the mistake. However, they don't usually do this. There is this laissez faire attitude towards facts that needs to stop. They need to be called on it. This is the reason they have the reputation of being shills - no responsibility towards providing accurate information, as long as they sell for their advertisers.

Neither did they this time. They pulled the video and theres no more proof on theyre page or twitter about it ever existing. Only snarky tweet on interviewers twitter about how people are dicks about trivial things.

Why are people spreading misinformation about the pc version? It's not locked at 30 fps. And fuck any developer that holds the pc version back because of the limits on the consoles

Thanks, GAF.

Damn. Very well said. I agree 100%.

Briarios

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

When journalism is concerned, it's not about malice, it's about incompetence. These people and organizations are gatekeepers of the information we receive by which we make informed choices. If they can't get the information accurate, what's the point of them? Fact errors aren't really forgiveable.

I received my degree in journalism, actually. In one class, my final paper was a feature article. The morning it was going to be turned in, I had a massive computer failure - had to retype the whole thing in like 30 minutes. In my rush, I accidentally transposed an I and an E in someone's name. That's considered a fact error. You're immediately deducted 50% of your grade. So, my grade on the final was a 47 - I went from an A in the class to getting a C for the semester based on the misspelling of a single name.

The professor was right to do it, too. Why? Standards. That's something these online game sites don't have, but they want the respect that accompanies esteemed journalists that apply those standards and responsibility to themselves. No, they don't deserve it until they own up to their errors and begin to act like responsible journalists. Until then, they're shills,

Massa

They're using the PS4 version to promote the XB1 version. How do you not see what's wrong here?

It's the Escapist, they're not "promoting" anything. They're showing footage of the game.

It's not like you'd be able to tell the difference between the two versions in a Youtube feed anyway.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
When journalism is concerned, it's not about malice, it's about incompetence. These people and organizations are gatekeepers of the information we receive by which we make informed choices. If they can't get the information accurate, what's the point of them? Fact errors aren't really forgiveable.

I received my degree in journalism, actually. In one class, my final paper was a feature article. The morning it was going to be turned in, I had a massive computer failure - had to retype the whole thing in like 30 minutes. In my rush, I accidentally transposed an I and an E in someone's name. That's considered a fact error. You're immediately deducted 50% of your grade. So, my grade on the final was a 47 - I went from an A in the class to getting a C for the semester based on the misspelling of a single name.

The professor was right to do it, too. Why? Standards. That's something these online game sites don't have, but they want the respect that accompanies esteemed journalists that apply those standards and responsibility to themselves. No, they don't deserve it until they own up to their errors and begin to act like responsible journalists. Until then, they're shills,

I like you.

Sorry about your grade, but despite it, I'm sure you're much more diligent and strict with your work as a result.

Mugatu

So now we've basically moved on from borderline unethical marketing to basically fraud?

And of course the gaming press is there to defend us from ourselves, awesome state of gaming these days.

Nymphae

Banned

Thanks, GAF.

giphy.gif

KJ869

Video removed by user?
Escapist took it down when they were told about theyre fuckup. Im wondering why they havent just re-uploaded it with only the interview material if they dont have direct xbox one capture. Maybe that would be too mutch admitting they make actual mistake and are normal people, not the super race of game journalists above critique.

I believe it was just a lazy editing mistake from The Escapist.

I wouldn't say lazy, what else were they gonna do? Keep showing that over-the-shoulder shot of the hostess picking car options?

I wouldn't have cut the segment this way, but I get what the editor is doing. If Escapist's turn around times are anything like the outlets I've worked at, I doubt there was time to finesse this.

Tsundere

Banned
Escapist took it down when they were told about theyre fuckup. Im wondering why they havent just re-uploaded it with only the interview material if they dont have direct xbox one capture. Maybe that would be too mutch admitting they make actual mistake and are normal people, not the super race of game journalists above critique.

They should come out and admit they screwed up and that they did not show Xbox One footage, but indeed showed PS4 footage.

I wouldn't say lazy, what else were they gonna do? Keep showing that over-the-shoulder shot of the hostess picking car options?

I wouldn't have cut the segment this way, but I get what the editor is doing. If Escapist's turn around times are anything like the outlets I've worked at, I doubt there was time to finesse this.
They could have said they were using PS4 footage and explained why they were doing that.

I doubt anyone would have a problem with that.

ViciousDS

Banned
lawd.....every vid in this thread with mis done footage has been taken down.....funny how it took two months to get that video taken down.....1 second to post a link showing the mistake....and it instantly gets gibbed.

Microsoft vultures sure are watching these threads lol

Mokubba

Sorry about your grade but great post

dengatron

Maybe it was a wizard-level troll about need for speed being named rivals and the rival console having a need for more speed?

beast786

lawd.....every vid in this thread with mis done footage has been taken down.....funny how it took two months to get that video taken down.....1 second to post a link showing the mistake....and it instantly gets gibbed.

Microsoft vultures sure are watching these threads lol

We are being watched o_O

Raist

Banned
Malice? Laziness? Mistake? Who knows, and who cares.

It does suggest that they didn't have direct footage of the XB1 version. It's really starting to be a lot of games in the same case now.

Looks like Microsoft have done it too! Makes the escapist's mistake far more forgivable doesn't it?

http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/xbox-caught-using-playstation-4-watch-dogs-gameplay/

Heh. Paging Major Nelson. He should love this, considering how much he enjoyed the GTHD / PGR3 fiasco.

Top Bottom