• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ETTP: The Evil Within

antitrop

There's a few reasons I think it doesn't feel like RE4.

The first big noticeable element is the atmosphere feels VERY different. This is really hard to tell on videos, especially in videos of people talking over it, but the game actually has a lot more of an unsettling and tense atmosphere than one might expect. RE4 had a lack of music in places, but it's more extreme here. No battle music starts playing to let you know when an enemy is and isn't here or to pump up the action, just the noises the enemies make, which sometimes is complete silence making you uncertain. The game has really good 3D sound, and lots of small details, something RE4 didn't have, as the sound effects are creepy, strange, and have this interesting but strange distortion effect when they're far away. The lighting is impressive with cast shadows 'layers' to light. And then the gameplay mechanics lends to this all too.

Ammo is scarce, enemies and crates do drop items but not all the time, but on rare occasion and it's not via shiny objects. To get an item from a corpse, you legitimately dig through the corpse. The basic enemies take and deliver more damage, look and sound creepier. They have more tricks, from rising back up from being downed as Crimson Head type monsters, faking dead and attacking you, hiding behind corners waiting for you, and if you lose you're not sure if they're even there anymore or a previously safe room is now dangerous.

You run out of stamina and can't run all the time. You can now sneak past enemies and it has benefit to do so. There are more dangers in the stages, from near-invincible stalker enemies to deadly traps. The level here feels less linear and far different from any of the levels designed in RE4, there are strange surreal moments and imagery, you are no longer a tank against even just a crowd of 2-4 enemies. The files I've sen actually seem well-written so far.

You go long moments with no enemies and just ambiance and atmosphere. You don't have an all-reliant melee, you have a melee that's only really good for smashing crates, and better melees that are scarce and limited use from the corpses of your enemies you pry out of their cold, dead hands. The combat requires more managing and strategy, you're given more options on how to deal with a situation but all make you feel more vulnerable rather than empowered.

That's a big part, unlike RE4 where you feel like you're a tank, you have a bunch of new moves and reasons to not always choose to fight. You move differently and the gunplay is clunkier, but it feels intentional. You don't feel empowered and are challenged to play, think, and react in a darker and stranger world. How it controls differently, feels different, plays differently, it obviously has some RE4 spirit in there but I can tell you it doesn't feel like RE4 when you're playing it from the one stage I have played. It's like how old horror games can have the same basic 'old-school horror look' and basic gameplay tropes, but feel completely different from execution and mechanics. Like how Resident Evil and Silent Hill are similar and look similar annin some ways feel similar, but they also feel very different and it all comes down to teir execution and differences. There is some RE4 feel in there, yes. And some REmake, and some other things, but I do think it does have it's own identity at least so far though obviously inspired by other things, but not copying, just inspired by. Of course, being Mikami, I am sure the feel may change some through the game.
slHyBdR.gif

This was a very nice write up! Making me more interested in it. I seen very little of it until now, but the your impressions were very descriptive.

Great impressions. I've been interested in this game for awhile now, and have been trying to keep away from a lot of the media so I can see a lot first hand.

nice to hear.....i'm already looking forward to this game, and hearing that it aims to do things differently than most games is a breath of fresh air. will definitely support.

My hype never once wavered. We'll see how the full game turns out but it sounds pretty awesome. Thanks for the write-up and subsequent clarifications Dusk.

antitrop

My hype never once wavered. We'll see how the full game turns out but it sounds pretty awesome. Thanks for the write-up and subsequent clarifications Dusk.

Of course it didn't. Everything Mikami has done since leaving Capcom has been divisive with critics, The Evil Within has been no different.

Of course it didn't. Everything Mikami has done since leaving Capcom has been divisive with critics, The Evil Within has been no different.

Certain things sounded iffy going by earlier impressions, but I had faith that things would be ironed out before release. I was actually a little happy to hear about the delay. I was playing RE4 last night and it got me even more excited for this. It sounds like a fun game in general, but also a well done work of horror with some legitimate exploration and awesome presentation. Glad to hear about the surreal elements as well.

Ricker

Thanks for the impressions...not sure I like having a lot of randomized stuff after a restart after death,especially since the game seems very hard ...we shall see though.

DedValve

Banned

The first big noticeable element is the atmosphere feels VERY different. This is really hard to tell on videos, especially in videos of people talking over it, but the game actually has a lot more of an unsettling and tense atmosphere than one might expect. RE4 had a lack of music in places, but it's more extreme here. No battle music starts playing to let you know when an enemy is and isn't here or to pump up the action, just the noises the enemies make, which sometimes is complete silence making you uncertain. The game has really good 3D sound, and lots of small details, something RE4 didn't have, as the sound effects are creepy, strange, and have this interesting but strange distortion effect when they're far away. The lighting is impressive with cast shadows 'layers' to light. And then the gameplay mechanics lends to this all too.

Ammo is scarce, enemies and crates do drop items but not all the time, but on rare occasion and it's not via shiny objects. To get an item from a corpse, you legitimately dig through the corpse. The basic enemies take and deliver more damage, look and sound creepier. They have more tricks, from rising back up from being downed as Crimson Head type monsters, faking dead and attacking you, hiding behind corners waiting for you, and if you lose you're not sure if they're even there anymore or a previously safe room is now dangerous.

You run out of stamina and can't run all the time. You can now sneak past enemies and it has benefit to do so. There are more dangers in the stages, from near-invincible stalker enemies to deadly traps. The level here feels less linear and far different from any of the levels designed in RE4, there are strange surreal moments and imagery, you are no longer a tank against even just a crowd of 2-4 enemies. The files I've sen actually seem well-written so far.

You go long moments with no enemies and just ambiance and atmosphere. You don't have an all-reliant melee, you have a melee that's only really good for smashing crates, and better melees that are scarce and limited use from the corpses of your enemies you pry out of their cold, dead hands. The combat requires more managing and strategy, you're given more options on how to deal with a situation but all make you feel more vulnerable rather than empowered.

That's a big part, unlike RE4 where you feel like you're a tank, you have a bunch of new moves and reasons to not always choose to fight. You move differently and the gunplay is clunkier, but it feels intentional. You don't feel empowered and are challenged to play, think, and react in a darker and stranger world. How it controls differently, feels different, plays differently, it obviously has some RE4 spirit in there but I can tell you it doesn't feel like RE4 when you're playing it from the one stage I have played. It's like how old horror games can have the same basic 'old-school horror look' and basic gameplay tropes, but feel completely different from execution and mechanics. Like how Resident Evil and Silent Hill are similar and look similar annin some ways feel similar, but they also feel very different and it all comes down to teir execution and differences. There is some RE4 feel in there, yes. And some REmake, and some other things, but I do think it does have it's own identity at least so far though obviously inspired by other things, but not copying, just inspired by. Of course, being Mikami, I am sure the feel may change some through the game.

You stop it. You stop hyping me up right now!

DocSeuss

I love that this is ETTP. This title pleases me, but, uh, OP:

Horror game by father of the genre, Shinji Mikami

The father of the horror game genre is James Andreasen. 1981's Haunted House, yo. Mikami wouldn't be along for another fifteen years. Even Clock Tower predates Mikami.

So it's hard for me to say Mikami is the genre's father.

I really want this game now, though. Holy crap. Too bad I can't afford it. I've only got like $4 in Steam credit atm. You've sold me on the game, now, and I will do bad things to get it.

Oh, and when you have a wall of text that big, pics to break it up are awesome, though I realize that can be a pain when you're at a con and on your phone.

I am a player who plays slowly as likes taking things in, exploring, and strategizing

And this is why your take on the game is far better than every other take I've seen. :D

Lucent

I can't wait to get this game. The hub area sounds interesting. I'm hoping that there'll be some fun unlockables and some extra modes hidden in there. The random enemies and items will help with replayability though. The atmosphere using less/no music sounds like P.T. to me, so I'm happy about this. Much prefer this over having scary music all the time.

Great impressions. Sounds fantastic.

So it's more survival rather than action. Sounds good enough to me. Solidified my preorder.
Thanks for the impressions.

RedEther

This sounds like all kinds of awesome :)

gelf

I'm glad to hear its brave enough not to make your character control like a standard TPS superman. Its going to get beat up by people who think every third person game with shooting should control the same way but I know I should ignore such criticism now.

BBboy20

Even with all the grammatical errors, this is probably the best preview I've read of this game yet. Having it not actually be a successor of RE4 is the most legit shock. Solidifies me picking it up this October.

Lucent

I'm glad to hear its brave enough not to make your character control like a standard TPS superman. Its going to get beat up by people who think every third person game with shooting should control the same way but I know I should ignore such criticism now.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Feindflug

And sadly this will probably be one of the reasons the game will review poorly...anyway enough with the predictions about the reviews, Dusk's impressions sound pretty awesome and that's what counts right now.

I'm getting the PC version at day one for sure.

jaosobno

Control system sounds kinda awful.

I have very mixed feelings about this game. Sounds like a 6/10 title to me and will probably be a commercial failure.

iMerc

game sounds fantastic! right up my alley, too.
DUSK GOLEM, thankyou for that excellent write up, and outdoing our 'game journalists' at their own job.

obviously the jury is still out until the game gets released, but looks like the mikami-meister's still got it. :)

Hey Dusk Golem, Thanks for such impression, I loved reading it, I was always excited for The Evil Within and deep down I knew it will be a great game, today you just raised the hype bar even more.

Couple of questions, did you happen to get into any boss battles ?, and if so, how was it ?

How was the ammo in your demo ?, Did you find enough to manage, or did you feel you had way less ammo ?

Unfortunately I have seen no such thing. The only reticle options I saw was always have a reticle, have a auto reticle so it appears when you pull out a gun, or no reticle at all.

The camera zooms in differently based on where you are. In tight corridors, it zooms in very close, in open spaces it is pretty far back, so it's dynamic how close or far it is when aiming. I'll be honest, I hardly noticed when playing personally and more know this from seeing it played and director's words, but if I thin on it, I can think back and notice it In my thoughts.

Thanks for answering my questions, but boooo at no option to change the aiming to a laser! And who would want the reticle to always be shown? o_O

Xpliskin

Some stuff I've read in this thread... man. Made some nice additions to the ignore list.

As for the impressions:
excited-child.gif

Boxed and steam version, both

WilyRook

great write-up! Randomized enemy encounters and random atmospheric events is music to my ears for horror games. Need to be on my toes. Need to not know what to expect. Need to be messed with.

Top Bottom